Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Sunnis: Your thoughts.

Rate this topic

VividChaeeme

• Basic Members

Asalaam alaykum. 

After some reading on this forum over the last day or two I thought I'd post just a kind of open ended question.

Please do not go easy. I am on a quest inshaAllah to become a better me. This Shi'a new to my working life has certainly leant me an opportunity. To gain a better understanding about my brothers and how I can communicate with them better (as a Muslim brother in a state of mutual respect.)

Let's leave all sectarian issues to the side. They're another thing all together. 

As a Shi'a how do you view Sunnis?

How do you feel Sunnis view Shi'a Muslims?

Why do you feel such a rift between our communities exist? Do you feel there even is a rift?

If you feel there is, do you feel one side is more culpable in said rift than the other? 

I thought I had more than that. Anyway, for now that will do.

Edited by VividChaeeme

36 minutes ago, VividChaeeme said:

Fellow muslims (takfir is haram for shia) misguided and ignorant, but our fellow humans so deserving of the same respect as everybody else. 

fellow muslims, but misguided and ignorant

Why do you feel such a rift between our communities exist? Do you feel there even is a rift?

different regions/ towns have different reasons but generally there isnt a rift between shia and sunni, unless salafi infiltrate sunni minds

If you feel there is, do you feel one side is more culpable in said rift than the other? 

the sunni are undoubtedly culpable. when was the last time there was a shia suicide bombing?

when was the last shia-led massacre of sunni?

when was the last time shia spread takfir in the media on others?

when was the last time shia murdered schoolchildren?

the sunni all over the world are almost completely silent to shia genocide. in pakistan shia have been killed every day...where were the sunni to stop it? arent the sunni around 90% of the country?

but shia like blaming other shia instead of the sunni

Edited by DigitalUmmah

38 minutes ago, VividChaeeme said:

JazakaAllahu bro for your insight. :) 

Takfir is haraam for Sunnis too. Lots of people commit all kinds of haraam astaghfiruAllah.

my own personal experience of sunni has always been good. Myself and my brothers studied qirrat at a sunni (hanafi) madressa for years under qari ghulaam rasool of manchester. We were always treated as guests rather than outsiders. we were never forced to learn sunni namaz or even beaten like other sunni boys (shia children are not beaten by their teachers). 

the problem comes when salafi infiltrate the minds of sunni, which unfortunately is more common than not these days

• Veteran Member

"Rifts" between Sunni and Shi'a exist only when there is a political reason for it --according to an analysis I read a few years ago.

Opine: Growing up a 1st Commandment Christian, there was an old American-Christian Challenge-saying: "If you have what it takes to show-off for Jesus-as, then stand-up and say so."

With a few of the mullahs and imam's --with sunni and shia-- I say the same: "If you have what it takes to show-off for Muhammad-saws, then stand-up and say so."

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, VividChaeeme said:

Asalaam alaykum. 

After some reading on this forum over the last day or two I thought I'd post just a kind of open ended question.

Please do not go easy. I am on a quest inshaAllah to become a better me. This Shi'a new to my working life has certainly leant me an opportunity. To gain a better understanding about my brothers and how I can communicate with them better (as a Muslim brother in a state of mutual respect.)

Let's leave all sectarian issues to the side. They're another thing all together. 

1. I view all Moderate Sunni as brothers/sisters in Islam. However, when dealing with Salafi/Wahabbi extremists I have a strong distaste bordering on hatred. That having been said I consider Moderates as separate but equal. 

2. The views of Moderates are quite different from extremists. But how many Moderates have not been poisoned by Wahabbi teachings? 

3. The list is endless but it all began with politics and money. The reasons have now morphed into something totally different due to lack of knowledge on both sides as well as from a lack of Islamic education but it all began with political and economic greed.

4. As a Shia, while I do feel that the blame lies on both sides to some degree I do feel that there is a significantly higher blame to be apportioned to Sunni. Not only the extremists but also the Moderates. Moderates have been complacent and that has allowed the extremists to gain more and more as time went on. Its at the point that not only do they consider Shia as wajib ul qatl but they are starting to take on that mentality towards fellow Sunni as well. Throughout history Sunni have slaughtered Shia. Nothing else to be said for that so you can understand the defensive mentality and cautious apprehension many of us have. You can have a 1,000 Shia friendly Sunni but it just takes one with anti Shia beliefs to cause trouble.

Are Shia innocent? Not at all but if one was to reasonably apportion out blame I would put it at 35% Shia to 65% Sunni. (my numbers may not be totally accurate but you get the general idea where I'm going with this).

1 hour ago, narsis said:

Bismillah.

Salaam brother.

Suunis and Shias are brothers in all its sense. There is no space for extremists from both sides in this Divine brotherhood. The philosophy behind extremism is also to break down this fruitful brotherhood that is able to improve Islam.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Masha'Allah! This!  1000x YES!

From Allah subhana wa ta'ala we come, and to Him is the return.  It is only for Him to judge what we believed and what we did.  If the Muslims were united (I'm not saying we all follow the same madhab or need to), but what a world this could be.  IF we all followed the righteous example of RasulAllah (salallahu alayhi wa ahle wasalam), that is. 

6 hours ago, VividChaeeme said:

Asalaam alaykum. 

Wa alaikum salaam, brother!

May Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) reward you for seeking honest dialogue with other Muslims and to improve yourself as well.  When I came to this forum, I was a Hanafi, but have since become an Ithna'Ashari (Twelver).  There are some amazing people here who were very kind in sharing their knowledge with me. In shaa Allah you will always feel welcomed here and may honest and respectful dialogue improve our imaan and our akhlaq.

R

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, VividChaeeme said:

Asalaam alaykum. 

Walaikum salaam Brother,

If there is anyone who is closer to us as friends in faith, I can't imagine anyone other than our Sunni brothers and sisters.

We all seek the end approach of reaching Allah (swt). Many of these theist and monotheist approaches differ abundantly but amongst the Sunni and Shia there is a corresponding parallel which gels and begs ours friendship unlike any other. A friendship of brotherhood which the insubordinate aggressor (of God) does not take a liking to and schemes in every possible way to brush it under the carpet.

I am sorry to say, some of our Sunni brothers and sisters are at times too easily swayed by the foreign elements, one being the intolerant allowance of Wahabi/Salafi subversion. At times I feel we no longer need to dominate the issues of enacting brotherhood as its only too apparent, but ever so more importantly recognizing the dissenting elements which blind and deprive us of it.

• Basic Members
8 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

my own personal experience of sunni has always been good. Myself and my brothers studied qirrat at a sunni (hanafi) madressa for years under qari ghulaam rasool of manchester. We were always treated as guests rather than outsiders. we were never forced to learn sunni namaz or even beaten like other sunni boys (shia children are not beaten by their teachers). 

the problem comes when salafi infiltrate the minds of sunni, which unfortunately is more common than not these days

Thanks for sharing your experience. To me it's very heartening to hear that you've had such a positive experience among Sunnis in a tolerant way.

It's strange you should mention the Salafis because there are Sunnis out there who seem to have an equally negative opinion of the Salafis and Shi'a - which is something I find odd in relation to your post. I definitely don't doubt, however that there are (not all, though) Salafis spreading hate.

7 hours ago, Hamzah313 said:

I will.
Thanks. :)

6 hours ago, narsis said:

Bismillah.

Salaam brother.

Suunis and Shias are brothers in all its sense. There is no space for extremists from both sides in this Divine brotherhood. The philosophy behind extremism is also to break down this fruitful brotherhood that is able to improve Islam.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Wa alaykum salaam.

Thank you for your response, and isn't it most interesting that the Muslims who refuse to be enemies as a result of politics or slight ideological/historical difference are branded by some the 'traitors' or 'enemies themselves.' SubhanAllah, it's a very strategically played cult mentality of sorts designed to enable the free flow of lies and propaganda.
I mean if 'Extremist X' wants to baselessly assert the Shi'a worship Ali (ra) and are therefore outside of thee fold of Islam for committing Shirk (AstaghfiruAllah.) the last thing he wants is the Sunni he's said this to to be able to find out it's a steaming pile of...You know and he has made these claims with no actual base.

I say that as that's 100% the first thing I had indisputably debunked from my readings on this forum.

5 hours ago, Akbar673 said:

1. I view all Moderate Sunni as brothers/sisters in Islam. However, when dealing with Salafi/Wahabbi extremists I have a strong distaste bordering on hatred. That having been said I consider Moderates as separate but equal. 

2. The views of Moderates are quite different from extremists. But how many Moderates have not been poisoned by Wahabbi teachings? 

3. The list is endless but it all began with politics and money. The reasons have now morphed into something totally different due to lack of knowledge on both sides as well as from a lack of Islamic education but it all began with political and economic greed.

4. As a Shia, while I do feel that the blame lies on both sides to some degree I do feel that there is a significantly higher blame to be apportioned to Sunni. Not only the extremists but also the Moderates. Moderates have been complacent and that has allowed the extremists to gain more and more as time went on. Its at the point that not only do they consider Shia as wajib ul qatl but they are starting to take on that mentality towards fellow Sunni as well. Throughout history Sunni have slaughtered Shia. Nothing else to be said for that so you can understand the defensive mentality and cautious apprehension many of us have. You can have a 1,000 Shia friendly Sunni but it just takes one with anti Shia beliefs to cause trouble.

Are Shia innocent? Not at all but if one was to reasonably apportion out blame I would put it at 35% Shia to 65% Sunni. (my numbers may not be totally accurate but you get the general idea where I'm going with this).

2. All too many it'd seem. I totally admit that. I see it.

4. Thank you for this answer in particular, and, I mean. I get it. I've never really understand why the person who I've really just met was so cautious in telling me about their being Shi'a, but I the picture is starting to come together, honestly. Though, all the time we've spent together since I will say this - they are an excellent person and Muslim masha'Allah and we are getting along to a point where not only am I glad to have met them, I can see a friendship lasting years to come insha'Allah.

4 hours ago, reisiger said:

Wa alaikum salaam, brother!

May Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) reward you for seeking honest dialogue with other Muslims and to improve yourself as well.  When I came to this forum, I was a Hanafi, but have since become an Ithna'Ashari (Twelver).  There are some amazing people here who were very kind in sharing their knowledge with me. In shaa Allah you will always feel welcomed here and may honest and respectful dialogue improve our imaan and our akhlaq.

R

Ameen. JazakaAllahu kheyr.
While I don't see myself following a similar path, I am very happy for your ahkee about the fulfillment you clearly feel in your decision. :)

I will say, I've not long been on this forum but it's not what I expected. Disparaging remarks about the Sunnis are just hardly even a thing here masha'Allah. Which, sadly, I cannot say the same in reverse on many of the glut of Sunni forums I've been on over the years. :(

I feel very welcome to these forums.

2 hours ago, saas said:

Walaikum salaam Brother,

If there is anyone who is closer to us as friends in faith, I can't imagine anyone other than our Sunni brothers and sisters.

We all seek the end approach of reaching Allah (swt). Many of these theist and monotheist approaches differ abundantly but amongst the Sunni and Shia there is a corresponding parallel which gels and begs ours friendship unlike any other. A friendship of brotherhood which the insubordinate aggressor (of God) does not take a liking to and schemes in every possible way to brush it under the carpet.

I am sorry to say, some of our Sunni brothers and sisters are at times too easily swayed by the foreign elements, one being the intolerant allowance of Wahabi/Salafi subversion. At times I feel we no longer need to dominate the issues of enacting brotherhood as its only too apparent, but ever so more importantly recognizing the dissenting elements which blind and deprive us of it.

I have nothing to add, but I wanted to acknowledge this post as very well put and eye-opening.
Thank you. :D

• Veteran Member
7 hours ago, narsis said:

Bismillah.

Salaam brother.

With Duas.

Narsis.

"no space for extremists"

A reason religion is a base for extremism is the permission it can grant  as an excuse for anything.

• Veteran Member

To do some anti-social and other things, most people cannot do them on their own, especially if these are against social norms. But in using religion, misleaders can get violent things done by using a 'religious justification'. Those people then feel 'free' enough to go do them. The basic example is a mob.

57 minutes ago, narsis said:

Can you explain your words please? I did not get your point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

I thank you all for your great and tolerant responses. JazakhAllahu kheyran.

My next question, comes with a bit of a personal twist thrown in - and that comes in the form of my son's name, Omer. :)
As I've mentioned many a time I've always been tolerant of difference and preferred focus on similarities and commonalities between myself and my brothers (even despite sectarian stuff) so please don't get me wrong. So despite the factual nature of his name now (a name, one may guess, I personally love.) I do wonder would it alone serve as a hindrance to him in the future when interacting with others (as I am teaching my children Muslim = Muslim, and we love our brothers regardless of sectarian difference.)
Along side that yesterday my wife and I were talking 'in the event of our children falling into an inter-sect marriage scenario...Would I be right to assume that (already unlikely) event would almost not happen as a result of a name? Or am I overthinking it? This is very theoretic. (Needless to say, in an event like this with any of my kids my response in addition to the usual investigation would be 'They're Muslim! Mabrook!' and to make du'a for them accepting their spouse as my own child.)

Not trolling. Not trying to sound ignorant.
Just asking.

Edited by VividChaeeme

• Advanced Member

Bro there is no problem with names amongst Shias, though we tend to favour names of Prophets, Ahlul Bayt and those companions which we believe to be sincere above others. Muslim names are not defined by character per person, but the title itself.

About the inter-sect marriage, the name issue is the least of concerns. Ideally, if we believe we have taken upon ourselves the correct approach (sect) we would equally seek a partner who shares the same. Likewise, if I had kids, I would give greater priority to encourage my kids marrying a Shia. The reasons are rather obvious and such preferences by Islamic law does not prohibit inter-sect marriages. In our own community there are a few Sunni-Shia marriages and there is a trend around the UK where these numbers are increasing. My personal verdict: Beautiful!