Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

I am yet to watch it, but I hear that there is a very  powerful documentary called 'Cowspiracy'

Here is an extract:

I understand that if a marja' were ever to issue a fatwa calling for his followers to only eat meat once a week and to avoid beef as much as possible they would probably be lynched, but we've gone too far now, something needs to be done and people need to be made aware of the damage that we are doing to our planet.

If the world's Muslims population tried to do their bit to preserve the planet, that would already go a long long way; people by and large listen to scholars, these are issues that they need to be talking about.

• Veteran Member

I have a hidden agenda with this, in that I won't be content with just a list and will take this up with relevant associations and scholars in the UK where I'm based. I don't  believe we have to wait on Qom or Najaf to do anything for us and take matters into our own hands before it's too late (it already is), and we've got the Quran backing us on this stance. Social, environmental and economic justice should be established by the people, if we get guidance from the religious establishment then that's a bonus. It's a big task, but not impossible if the will is there.

Edited by thecontentedself
No reason

Bismillah

Wasalam alaykum

Sayyid Hossein Nasr has been speaking about this issue for over 30 years now, with his methodology in play of course. 

The Hawzah seems to be doing work on this topic too, although it remains in the original authored language. I am aware of articles or books being published in at least Iran and Lebanon (one of the main students of Sayyid Fadhlullah).

The following is the results that come up about articles written in the seminary about the environment:

http://www.ensani.ir/search.aspx?key=زیست&mode=contents

The issue has also been spoken about on numerous occasions by Ayatullah Khamene'i and Jawadi Amouli, although it doesn't have seem to have translated into anything tangible. Admittedly, some of their comments are more domestic than global. More about green areas and not destroying trees, or against types of pollution - but not global environmental issues. Ayatullah Jawadi has touched on some of this in a book published by his office. 

I agree with the sentiments shown here, just wanted to give some hope that at least we are not still at zero and are slowly moving towards 'something' better, inshallah.  

• Advanced Member

Dear brother Contended:

I blame myself, you, and all those who care about the earth, the environment, and all that belongs here.

There are hadith after hadith on preserving resources, on rejection of insane version of capitalism, on recycling, on not wasting, on taking the least from the world, on reusing.

If you really care about it, rather than doing all the other things you are doing, make a blog site, a web site even better , register an non-profit organization with name like "muslims for earth" and collect all such Ayyat, Hadith, Rulings etc. and post there. Khalas.

Again, the problem is not with the Najaf or Qom here, problem is with you and I that we do not bring the word of Allah swt, of Prophet and Ahlulbayt to the people. We hide those and expect Ay. Seestani to do all the heavy lifting.

A more befitting title of this thread would be "Absent Muslim Masses" instead of "Absent Muslim Jurist"

Edited by Irfani313
  • Advanced Member

Well, representin' indigenous. I don't know about Muslims, but some Christians don't care about the planet because they're going to be double -whammied into heaven at the Rapture and Earth is going to be destroyed anyway. Why care about the World when the World isn't your home?

other Christians are very much onto the environmental struggles as a stewardship responsibility .

• Veteran Member

Maybe I didn't explain myself clear enough. 

This isn't a thread about the environment, that was just an example I gave as I was researching a topic related to the environment.

I want people to help me build a list of where Muslims are under-achieving in contributing to resolving social,cultural, environmental and other issues. Since we as Muslims claim that all issues are dealt with in the Quran, we tend to turn to the experts to guide us on how to approach and resolve these problems. 

And  with all due respect, I will stick to my criticism of the religious establishment until my last breath, no matter what you say brother @Irfani313, because they exist to serve us, not sit either at home or behind the doors of the hawza. I don't care what the narrations say, I know what the Quran says and I know what my heart and mind say. The religious jurist is ABSENT, ABSENT, ABSENT x1000. I blame Qom and Najaf and Karbala and any other entity that claims to represent me. They do not, I reject them and I reject their indifference and backwardness. You cannot sell an idea to the west with Al Kafi and Bihar Al Anwar, that's for internal islamic consumption. 

@LeftCoastMom I was always hopeful to coordinate any work that I do with the help of decent open-minded Christians, who I know exist and get on really well with. Once i'm more established it will be the first thing I'll try and do God willing.

Guys, be a bit more pro-active and collaborative. It's hard enough for me to bother coming on here and trying to encourage activism and challenging the status quo, especially for someone my age... it shouldn't be too hard to get a short list together to show where we could really and effectively contribute to general western discourse and organised activism. I'm not looking for scholars contributions to the hawza!

And before anybody accuses me of anti-shiism or anti-hawza or whatnot, I'm a hardcore Hizbullahi absolute wilayatulfaqih irfani gnostic Shia of Imam Ali and follower of Seyyed Kamal Al Haydari :brucelee:

• Advanced Member

Dear brother contended:

I disagree respectfully.

I failed because my sister did not press my shirt right.

I flunked because mom had put too much spice in the food.

I got C in exam because it was too cold outside.

All these and others are excuses of the weak and lazy. Also the jurists are not there to serve us. We did not hire them, we do not pay them, they do not force us to follow their rulings, they are there learning Islamic sources only for the sake of themselves and us but they don't owe us anything. If anything, we owe them a whole lot.

Islamic jurists don't pick up issues based on popularity or because world is suddenly waken up to something. Islam inherently don't give remedies for the symptoms, and instead focuses on fixing the core problems. That and there you will find the core fault of Christian and Jewish establishment, that most of the time they are either with the problem creators or are giving peace meal solutions to problems they themselves contributed in creating. Pope saying something about environment or war means nothing when his followers are waging one crusade after the other on non-Christian lands for the purpose of greed, contracts, and oil. Anyway, bashing this or that won't work, all I'm saying is that Islam and Muslim Shia religious leadership has never been absent from the seen, you just have to look with purpose and honesty.    

• Veteran Member
17 minutes ago, Irfani313 said:

Dear brother contended:

I disagree respectfully.

I failed because my sister did not press my shirt right.

I flunked because mom had put too much spice in the food.

I got C in exam because it was too cold outside.

All these and others are excuses of the weak and lazy. Also the jurists are not there to serve us. We did not hire them, we do not pay them, they do not force us to follow their rulings, they are there learning Islamic sources only for the sake of themselves and us but they don't owe us anything. If anything, we owe them a whole lot.

Islamic jurists don't pick up issues based on popularity or because world is suddenly waken up to something. Islam inherently don't give remedies for the symptoms, and instead focuses on fixing the core problems. That and there you will find the core fault of Christian and Jewish establishment, that most of the time they are either with the problem creators or are giving peace meal solutions to problems they themselves contributed in creating. Pope saying something about environment or war means nothing when his followers are waging one crusade after the other on non-Christian lands for the purpose of greed, contracts, and oil. Anyway, bashing this or that won't work, all I'm saying is that Islam and Muslim Shia religious leadership has never been absent from the seen, you just have to look with purpose and honesty.    

Brother Irfani

I'm NOT asking for their help, on the contrary, I'm advocating for a muslim social movement that will mobilise at a local grassroots level with other NGOs to deal with major global issues like the environment, the food industry, food waste, water shortage, poverty, etc etc.... The islamic/Shia voice is absent from the seen here in the West. i'm not bothered with what happens in the middle east or asia, not because I don't care, but because I don't live there and I can't effect change there. We are responsible as Muslims living in the west to resolve problems HERE. I live in the UK, I'm not British, but I want to eradicate child poverty, homelessness, child abuse, food waste, consumerism, political apathy, etc etc...by applying my Islamic world view/ 

no reason
  • Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

I am yet to watch it, but I hear that there is a very  powerful documentary called 'Cowspiracy'

Here is an extract:

I understand that if a marja' were ever to issue a fatwa calling for his followers to only eat meat once a week and to avoid beef as much as possible they would probably be lynched, but we've gone too far now, something needs to be done and people need to be made aware of the damage that we are doing to our planet.

If the world's Muslims population tried to do their bit to preserve the planet, that would already go a long long way; people by and large listen to scholars, these are issues that they need to be talking about.

Animal mistreatment and food waste really pi** me off. What's more frustrating is Muslim silence and indifference. And yes, I blame the religious establishment for that. #SorryNotSorry

• Veteran Member

:birthday:

Dealing with poverty in your community. I mentioned elsewhere that the philosophy of zakah is to remove poverty, and that it is the responsibility of the religious establishment to demand (not request) payment of zakah to alleviate this negative aspect from society. The quranic verse states

(خُذْ مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِمْ صَدَقَةً تُطَهِّرُهُمْ وَتُزَكِّيهِمْ بِهَا وَصَلِّ عَلَيْهِمْ ۖ إِنَّ صَلَاتَكَ سَكَنٌ لَهُمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ)
[سورة التوبة 103]

Of their goods, take alms, that so thou mightest purify and sanctify them; and pray on their behalf. Verily thy prayers are a source of security for them: And Allah is One Who heareth and knoweth . so

where are the scholars taking zakah from people? Why isn't it ingrained in our culture? It purifies and sanctifies us and removes poverty from society. What greater social justice project is there?