Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salaam,

I am currently following Sistani, however I am looking into other Maraji's, I live in Canada and would like somebody with more moderate views and easily accessible.  Currently I am researching Sayyid Reza Hosseini Nassab.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Syeda

I don't think that a scholar's views on life in general should have much of an impact on their fiqh.

But I suppose that name that would first spring to mind is sayed Fadlallah

http://english.bayynat.org/

As you haven't specified what you would like your marja' to be more moderate on I can't recommend anyone else, although there are others.

Also, most people would tell you that your reasons for changing marja' aren't valid.

By 'moderate' do you mean more compatible with a Western secular lifestyle?

Personally, rather than Sayyid Fadlallah, who has in any case sadly passed away, the name that first come to mind is Shaykh Saanei. However, I would advise you to follow a scholar is you think is actually more in line with the teaching for Islam, not the teachings of the secular West.

Many of the moderate maraji' and their marjiyyat are not free from controversy. I mean no disrespect of course. They're all highly esteemed scholars. But don't you think in matters of religion it's best to steer clear of doubt wherever possible? 

Also what makes you think Sayyid Sistani is inaccessible? I think his representatives are pretty active and accesible around the world (including Canada). 

What means of assessment are you applying to identify the level of 'moderation' of a scholar? How do you measure his worthiness for emulation? 

I personally look at his thought production, I.e The quality and quantity of publications, his visibility to his followers, which is easily down these days with social media, and his charisma. If he's repeating other scholars' opinions, is not a mujtahid in tafsir, aqaed and the philosophical sciences and at least has awareness of contemporary social, economic and human sciences, then he's not really a mujtahid,  let alone the most knowledgeable.  And more importantly, he needs to be knowledgeable in the differences between the fixed laws and the ones that change with time and place.

If, on the other hand,  you want an easy life then ignore  all I've said and like the brother said, stick to someone who enforces the status quo and does not challenge Shia heritage because it's 'too controversial'  and might confuse Muslims..

Edited by thecontentedself
No reason

Salam,

I might be wrong but apart from the maraji mentioned above (the late Sayid Fadlallah and Ayatullah Sanei) 0, I feel Sayid Khamenei is quite moderate actually.

In his views regarding living in the west, applying rules of halal/haram, interacting with sunnis and ahl el kitab etc...

On 12/19/2015 at 8:17 AM, Haydar Husayn said:

By 'moderate' do you mean more compatible with a Western secular lifestyle?

Personally, rather than Sayyid Fadlallah, who has in any case sadly passed away, the name that first come to mind is Shaykh Saanei. However, I would advise you to follow a scholar is you think is actually more in line with the teaching for Islam, not the teachings of the secular West.

Is he still considered a marja?

20 minutes ago, Sol 7 said:

Is he still considered a marja?

I don't know how he is still generally considered, but it seems a little ridiculous for a marja to be 'demoted', if he was once considered one (unless he were to go senile or something). Perhaps the question is whether he should ever have been considered a marja in the first place.

2 hours ago, Haydar Husayn said:

I don't know how he is still generally considered, but it seems a little ridiculous for a marja to be 'demoted', if he was once considered one (unless he were to go senile or something). Perhaps the question is whether he should ever have been considered a marja in the first place.

So do you consider him one? Just curious.

I personally think that Iran's government should accept dissenting opinion. 

Even if it is as provocative as Saanei's.

Edited by Sol 7

2 minutes ago, Sol 7 said:

So do you consider him one? Just curious.

I personally think that Iran's government should accept dissenting opinion. 

I don't really have a view on whether or not he is a marja. I think his rulings are certainly 'unorthodox' though, which depending on the person may or may not be a good thing. My own views on fiqh are more traditional though.

1 minute ago, Haydar Husayn said:

I don't really have a view on whether or not he is a marja. I think his rulings are certainly 'unorthodox' though, which depending on the person may or may not be a good thing. My own views on fiqh are more traditional though.

He seems very strictly traditional. On his views on fiqh.

He's unorthodox with Khomeinis politucal teachings. Before Khomeini, his views would probably be considered normal.

6 minutes ago, Sol 7 said:

He seems very strictly traditional. On his views on fiqh.

He's unorthodox with Khomeinis politucal teachings. Before Khomeini, his views would probably be considered normal.

Views such as these are not 'strictly traditional':

Q1160: What is the verdict on entering into temporary marriage with non-Muslim women such as Catholic Christians, Buddhists, and those with unknown faiths?

A: In case of a Muslim man’s need and necessity in such countries and in case Muslim women or those from the People of the Book are not available, it will be permissible provided that the Muslim man makes certain they will not become pregnant, and that it will be for such a short time that he will not be influenced by the woman’s atheistic thoughts and beliefs which deserve loss and punishment. Basically, Islam regards temporary marriage as a means of satisfying men’s needs while being in hardship and under the pressure of sexual desires, but not as some sort of legal debauchery and extramarital sex. Therefore, those who have wives with whom they can satisfy their sexual desires should not enter into temporary marriage even with Muslim women, otherwise they would ruin their family life, their tranquility and comfort, and would suffer hundreds of other losses.

http://saanei.org/index.php?view=02,00,00,00,0#02,02,09,239,0

As for his views on politics, they should have no bearing on his status as a scholar.

1 minute ago, Haydar Husayn said:

Views such as these are not 'strictly traditional':

Q1160: What is the verdict on entering into temporary marriage with non-Muslim women such as Catholic Christians, Buddhists, and those with unknown faiths?

A: In case of a Muslim man’s need and necessity in such countries and in case Muslim women or those from the People of the Book are not available, it will be permissible provided that the Muslim man makes certain they will not become pregnant, and that it will be for such a short time that he will not be influenced by the woman’s atheistic thoughts and beliefs which deserve loss and punishment. Basically, Islam regards temporary marriage as a means of satisfying men’s needs while being in hardship and under the pressure of sexual desires, but not as some sort of legal debauchery and extramarital sex. Therefore, those who have wives with whom they can satisfy their sexual desires should not enter into temporary marriage even with Muslim women, otherwise they would ruin their family life, their tranquility and comfort, and would suffer hundreds of other losses.

http://saanei.org/index.php?view=02,00,00,00,0#02,02,09,239,0

As for his views on politics, they should have no bearing on his status as a scholar.

Well, hes not liberal nor a "reform muslim"

And is still putting heavy emphasis on tradition and honor in most aspects so it seems.

22 minutes ago, Sol 7 said:

Well, hes not liberal nor a "reform muslim"

And is still putting heavy emphasis on tradition and honor in most aspects so it seems.

Of course. 'Liberal' is a relative term. However, in the context of mainstream Shia scholars, he is certainly on the liberal side.

1 hour ago, Haydar Husayn said:

Of course. 'Liberal' is a relative term. However, in the context of mainstream Shia scholars, he is certainly on the liberal side.

Well, the "conservative" side sort of....stones people to death.