Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
alialiali

Any Malangs in here?

Rate this topic

38 minutes ago, sidnaq said:

malangs? what are they?i am hearing this for the second time, the first time was a user name Maula Dha Mallang, but is it a title or a group of people?

And so, his legend lives on lol

Malang has no definition but only signs. It's a state of mind not a sect. It's an approach to tashayyo. It's a higher expression of love towards the ahle bait. It's a difference between ishq and muhabbat.

Well, we used to call Malang to those old men who had completely let go of the materialistic side of the world. They would be living in a world of their own, in the society, yet alone in their own world of "spirituality" and "love".

Google and you will get some pictures of those old men. I guess another name for them could be Zahid. The one who lets of go of the life of this world. 

Edited by SlaveOfAllah14

6 hours ago, SlaveOfAllah14 said:

Well, we used to call Malang to those old men who had completely let go of the materialistic side of the world. They would be living in a world of their own, in the society, yet alone in their own world of "spirituality" and "love".

Google and you will get some pictures of those old men. I guess another name for them could be Zahid. The one who lets of go of the life of this world. 

Thats quite accurate. However since the Afghan war the newer generations malangs have changed the definition and now society knows them for junkies, bums, frauds or the mentally infirm who may indulge in intoxicants, ignore hygeine, combing hair or dressing well among other things while defying shariah and social values. Their nearness to God comes from the high of cannabis which also illuminates and vindicates the path they choose for themselves. Today the common malang is someone pretty far from "Zahid". If life was a video game then smoking a hashish cigarette at a shrine of some saint or with the shia "malangs" for the first time in life will have a 80% chance to give you the "malang" trait because then you will be returning to the malangs for more hash and you will be justifying what you have done and the hash and ultimately heroin will change you and your future. Sad but thats what it is.

Edited by Darth Vader

1 hour ago, Darth Vader said:

Thats quite accurate. However since the Afghan war the newer generations malangs have changed the definition and now society knows them for junkies, bums, frauds or the mentally infirm who may indulge in intoxicants, ignore hygeine, combing hair or dressing well among other things while defying shariah and social values. Their nearness to God comes from the high of cannabis which also illuminates and vindicates the path they choose for themselves. Today the common malang is someone pretty far from "Zahid". If life was a video game then smoking a hashish cigarette at a shrine of some saint or with the shia "malangs" for the first time in life will have a 80% chance to give you the "malang" trait because then you will be returning to the malangs for more hash and you will be justifying what you have done and the hash and ultimately heroin will change you and your future. Sad but thats what it is.

Those are hippie malangs that have taken the name. They have also taken the label faqeer (anglicised: Fakir) who in the past used to be people with m'aarifat. We're talking about the real maulayi malangs - whose state of mind is altered not by hashish but ishq.

My apologies for the long reply. It's a sensitive topic hence needs clarification.

MALANG - DEFINITION

Malang is one of the titles given to mystics (similar to sufism, saints, etc) who exchange their worldly desires for complete submission. Supposedly, a heightened level of spiritual elevation (a laymen's comprehensive nightmare). To simplify, a Malang of Allah (swt) could be best translated as 'lover of Allah (swt)' which does not necessarily imply in accordance with the guidelines of submission. Some go as far as branding them 'Wali of Allah (swt)' (in the context of friend of God by way of seeking closeness).

In this area, the problem with 'complete submission' is that its not always entirely based on the commands of Allah (swt). For instance, a person who is always in the state of multifarious worship but may not perform his 5 time salaah (as prescribed) may be seen as a deviant or a commendable exception. Similarly, a person who does not pay Zakah or Khums but offers up all worldly possessions and maintains that state to please God. For such people, only Allah (swt) can be the best of Judges (Most Merciful).

My grandfather used to say, 'there are several levels of spirituality which can be identified but none permit a person to abandon his primary obligations. But there are unique cases which cannot be understood nor should we judge unless there is clear evidence of Sin, Shirk, etc'. A simple formulary principle, which I can only agree with through caution. Though I have never met such personalities and have no knowledge of their current existence (if any). There are landmarks or constructed points of interest in various places around the globe which symbolize their memory (i.e. East). These Malangs are not groups but rare individuals, possibly 1 in millions if not billions, who are remote in their ways and seemingly inaccessible hence the idea of a 'following' or a garnered group is questionable.

One should not seek a life without the Book & Ahlul Bayt and should remain within the Islamic frameworks as prescribed. A Malang is not something you can achieve through trial and tribulation nor is it something expected of Man to be dismissive of what had been revealed. In fact I don't even know if a Malang can be classed as a rank since the special relationship between man and God is a measure only Allah (swt) can determine. We as humans can't even define 'Love' let alone seek a path which claims special rank in closeness to Allah (swt) hence we can only trust what is entrusted upon us from the Trusted.

Bottom line: What cannot be understood nor endorsed by Islam should be avoided. Should man wish to aspire alleviation via spirituality, the modus is clear from error, focus on the cultivation of a 'Mumin' and none other.

MALANG - THE IMITATIONS & DANGEROUS REPURCUSSIONS

Contrary to the above, the term 'Malang' has been exploited or applied allegorically. From my personal experience, the imitations can be classed in 3 groups:

1. People calling themselves, for eg, Malang of Ali (a) which is harmless, a formal expression signifying 'lover of Ali (a)'. Or A poetic expression which may also signify ones unyielding allegiance. Sometimes during Muharram, they form their own Matam'dari groups but don't prescribe to anything which is void of Islamic limitations.

2. Followers who try to adopt the practices of supposedly genuine Malangs. Very rare, but usually exist around monuments which symbolise the deceased personalities. I don't know what to make of them nor do I know of their beliefs and actions, hence can't pass judgements.

3. Groups or individuals referring to themselves as Malangs by definition of spiritual enlightenment. To a degree where there are clear signs of deliberate deviance in disassociating themselves from prayer, fasting, zakah, etc. The Malangi groups consciously promote the idea to increase their numbers and unfortunately prey on the youth during Muharram. A bond of brotherhood is offered tied with endless love for the Ahlul Bayt and yet devoid of fulfilling ones obligations as a Muslim. I do not mean to enflame fitnah, but I know members of 2 groups, one belonging to Manchester and one in London (UK). Some of these members go as far as calling Marja's liars, infiltrators and amongst other insults I cannot mention in a public forum (disgusting). No matter how many questions I ask, or discussions i've had, I am still unable to understand the motives behind these groups. Judging by their actions recently, incidents witnessed at first hand in our own community mosques in London, they are clearly far from 'spiritual enlightenment' with zero signs of piety, wisdom, patience and love. There have also been signs of some members suggesting Ali (as) is God, astugfurullah, but it's difficult to determine who, where and why hence we cannot brand all of them as the same as the differences are apparent.

TO CONCLUDE....

As Shias the rope of Allah (swt) is the Quran and Ahlul Bayt, anything beyond that is not certain nor encouraged. Those who deliberately submit to their own interpretations of 'worship' or 'submission' are simply playing with fire. Should there be extremely exceptional rare cases where the matter may be extended to miraculous attestation, then may Allah (swt) be the best of Judges (Most Merciful). .......There is no better title then 'Mumin'
Edited by saas

I think this definition sums it up pretty well

The term Mallang, as you've just shown, is not a fixed one nor a permanent one. exactly like you have shown it has changed depending on the period of time and geographical locationm further to this, the term Mallang, in the sense we see today, has as little to do with sufism and everything to do with the Aimmah Masomeen (asws) the term, when it refers to the "wandering madman" it is meant to be taken in a poetical context, not a literal one. As usual, our usooli brothers seem to lack any sense of poetry and symbolism in their lifes, akin to wahabbis they take everything literal and at face value the term "mallang" is poetically someone whose love for the Aimmah (asws) makes them "mad" i.e. they lose all connection with trivial things in their love for the High Ones (asws). Practically the Mallangs are a people who reject all modern day institutions fitting neither into ussoli, akhbari or any fixed stereotype. Instead, they are a simple people, who dedicate their lives in simple adoration of the High Ones (asws) Mallangs do not involve themselves in politics, in committees, in jihaads or other noble, lofty and empty ideals, nor do they attempt to do dawah and convince all people to join them. They are a free living, free loving, open and caring people their philosophy is to live and let live; secondly, their whole lives revolve in particular around the events of ashura, it is a flame in their hearts which no amount of dry hadiths and lectures from scholars will extinguish while much of what they do is cultural, they care nothing for peoples impressions and everything for Bibi Paaks (as) impressions, i.e. if they do something which offends the sensabilities of scholars in their ivory towers, but are doing something soley to give their pursa to Bibi Paak (as), Then Bibi Paak (as) takes prescendence over peoples ever changing "impressions"

the term Mallang is all embracing, so sure you get people who are druggees and so on, but we dont care, we are not judges, leave them to their lives. we concentrate on our own. For this reason Mallangs are attacked by all and sundry because we refuse to judge or condemn or lecture others so people (mainly usoolis) feel the need to do it for us when we neither ask for it or need it mallangs lives are based on two things - love and hate we love to the point of madness, and we also HATE to the point of madness, which is another thing people cannot understand. Our love for Bibi Paak (as) pulses in our veins, it fires down our nerves and the thought of someone hurting Her (as) drives us mad, the thought of someone hurting Her Husband and Family (asws) are too much to bear, we do NOT believe that unity should come at the price of the truth, so yeah, many Mallangs do excesive tabarra, which, again, the usoolis hate since usoolis sole mission in life seems to be chasing around after sunnis trying to please them. Mallangs have no interest in unity with anyone but the High Ones (asws) so for these reasons.

the Mallangs give many people ammo to attack us to be fair, we give as good as we get, and it always seems to descend into tit for tat hissy fits many Mallangs are guilty of instigating attacks against usooli beliefs and vice versa however the core of all Mallang philosophy is simple unity with the Aimmah (asws) love and devotion grief, hatred simplicity in life and kindess. Yes, most modern day Mallangs come from the indian subcontinent, this is because south asians have always been lovers of the Aimmah (asws) a section of Hazrat Mukhtar (ra) the avengers army was made of hindus... see how south asians revere people who simply LOVED Imam Ali (asws) - the likes of Jhoole Laal Qalandar (ra), Moinudeen Chisty and so on, if any Aimmah (asws) or their followers were to be buried in our subcontinent, we would pave the streets with gold and poets would sing their praises until qiyaamat! Iranians and Arabs cannot fathom the love and devotion and they feel frustrated that all their money and efforts to install usoolism in the subcontinent have failed which is why you always see this racism, always, but how can they install their maulvis in a place where the ground ITSELF is witness to the love of the High Ones (asws) ?

Finally, the Mallang philosophy is not a school of thought, it is not a rigid way of life, it is not a list of rules and regulations.. all it is is people rejecting all things which they feel takes them away from their devotion of the High Ones (asws) yes - people abuse this, eg not reading namaz, smoking weed etc. however, since there are NO fixed rules you CAN NOT you MUST NOT judge all Mallangs as the same because you do a grave injustice against good people and it is an injustice against their characters, and you will be called about it on that terrible day when all injustices are accounted for instead, speak to them with terms of love and friendliness and judge them as an individual basis, take them as they are.

[MOD NOTE: This quote is from SC.] 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234962523-malangs/?do=findComment&comment=1872913

Basically being a mallang these days is a lifestyle choice within the shia madhab. molayi who focus on azadari these days are known as mallangs. 

Edit: I am reminded of a quote attributed to Shaheed Sayed Muhammad Baqir al Sadr, who said "The hindi Shia (desi) love the masumeen (as) even more than arabs, but they do not even know how to do wudhu"

No!

Malangs are known for their disassociation of worldly matters and tend to sell themselves completely through spiritual journey (one that can not be endorsed)

Imams are Guides, all rounder's, specializing in every area and have a responsibility over believers (and non-believers). Also its fair to say, their level of enriched spirituality is unmatched and pure in nature.

25 minutes ago, magma said:

Would anyone characterize the Imams of Ahle Muhammad (as) as malangs, whatever definition you use?

Just curious.

There isn't a choice between being a mallang VS following the Masumeen (as). It is completely practical to follow the Sunnah and examples of the masumeen (as) and be a mallang at the same time. Like many people have said - its a lifestyle choice not a religious choice. 

2 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

There isn't a choice between being a mallang VS following the Masumeen (as). It is completely practical to follow the Sunnah and examples of the masumeen (as) and be a mallang at the same time. Like many people have said - its a lifestyle choice not a religious choice. 

That doesn't address my question. My question was point blank, would anyone ascribe the term "malang" to them? Is that a reasonable descriptor?

2 minutes ago, magma said:

That doesn't address my question. My question was point blank, would anyone ascribe the term "malang" to them? Is that a reasonable descriptor?

The poster above me did, actually. no we would probably not ascribe them to be mallang, in the same way we would not ascribe the imams as servants of the Imams. 

7 minutes ago, DigitalUmmah said:

The poster above me did, actually. no we would probably not ascribe them to be mallang, in the same way we would not ascribe the imams as servants of the Imams. 

Could the Imams be "malangs" vis a vis the prophets?

Just now, magma said:

Magma stop being so passive aggressive and say what you mean man, you are being really irritating. I know you are trying to lead me down the path where you are going to try and get me/ us to admit that being mallang is somehow against islam/ against shia madhab/ evil/ lovers of dajjal/ eat babies/ the cause of all the shia suffering in the world (delete as appropriate)

as has been explained several times now, being mallang is in no way against sharia of the masumeen, as it is basically choosing to live simply, mourning Imam Hussain (as), not being part of dawah or politics and not being judgemental. if you find this wrong or offensive or something that you feel you need to argue against, then maybe there is a problem with you rather than those of us who choose this lifestyle. 

2 minutes ago, magma said:

Just posing basic questions for my own curiosity. Answer only what you feel comfortable answering. You're not accountable to me.

right, [sarcasm]I'm totally sure you were only curious about the term and this is all just friendly discussion about something you haven't already made your mind up about[/sarcasm]

On 12/14/2015 at 10:54 AM, magma said:

Just posing basic questions for my own curiosity. Answer only what you feel comfortable answering. You're not accountable to me.

magma simple answer 

Malang = servant of Masoomeen (a.s)

On 12/14/2015 at 11:06 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

BUT WOULD YOU CALL AN IMAM (AS) A MALLANG STARLIGHT??? WOULD YOU VIS A VIS?????

DU, Imams are Masoomeens(a.s)

and if malangs are servants of Masoomeen/imams, then malangs can't be called  Imams.

One is a master(Imam) the other is the servant (malang) .

can't make it anymore simple than this.

What is a "servant"? Is it just semantics, or is it rather broad?

I could imagine the 2nd and 3rd considering themselves servants of the 1st. Or the 4th a servant of the 3rd. In fact, I could see them all, in their humility, considering themselves servants of each other.

So where does that lead us? Is their servitude to each other different than our servitude to them? Do they share this same "malangi" state of mind as us common folk? The same popular definition we have today with all its connotations? That's the answer I'm looking for. And if we believe so, we should say it loud, with pride and conviction. If however, we can't get ourselves to equate this particular term with them, then we should just admit that and not beat around the bush.

Having seen all the countless threads discussing "malangs" over the years, I have come to understand that the concept cannot be adequately explained to non-desis, and that's because they do not have the cultural reference to grasp its full meaning. What we say about being malang is only the tip of the idea. As I said, it's a state of mind, a state of heart more like, a feeling internalised and experienced by the saalik himself not explained in words. Whatever English or Arabic word you might use, like servants, Sufis etc, is but a mere approximation of malang. Suffice it to say that malang-ness exist on a wide spectrum with a variety of beliefs and practices but its main guiding force, as in Sufism, is love (ishq). Love of the Ahle bait (as). There are as many ways of expressing the emotion of love as there are humans. Every malang is a unique being.

The malang caricature/stereotype we often hear comes from popular representation of some lowly drug addicts who live on alms and sing qaseedah and salaams at shrines. Historically there have been aarifs among them who attracted large gatherings through their impromptu sermons and poetry recitation mehfils. Today it's hard to find any genuine old style malang at the shrines.

As for the question, Imams and prophets can't be called malangs just as they can't be called Sufis, sahaba, fakirs, mystics whatever. These terms originate from service to Islam and the infallibles but aren't applicable to the infallibles themselves.

Edited by Marbles
typo

49 minutes ago, magma said:

No!

Malang is not a quality that is defined to 'complete submission' by practice and faith. Hence cannot be accredited to Imam, Prophet, the relationship between the two, or any other means symbolizing the totality of Guidance. Quite contrary, its an excessive state of 'faith' and worship which may discount practice per fixed instruction as void. The question is, is it possible for extraordinary humans to reach such a state of spiritual illumination or since minor miracles cannot be discounted, is it possible such rare personalities are blessed by God for there unmatched capitulation?

As per my initial post, for the contemporary malangs (or imitations) or those who have consciously chosen this path, I have very little understanding of their motives and whether they define Malang differently. If the term is used truly as a 'Servant' then surely the end goal should suggest complete adherence to Faith and Practice (the only act of true servitude, i.e. mumin) unless we can attest to probable exceptions with reason. From rare extraordinary personages to the 21st century groupists, I thinks it's unfair to carry the title of Malang so candidly. Especially, when there are no real signs of spiritual phenomena.

2 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

isn't life style part of religion?

i think the closer resemblance to malangs are the darwish in turkish/persian/arabic , also the so many "khadim ahlulbayt" noha reciters or majalis owners and organisers. i dont think it is something to romanticise. it was a trend, an era that passed.

1 minute ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

isn't life style part of religion?

i think the closer resemblance to malangs are the darwish in turkish/persian/arabic , also the so many "khadim ahlulbayt" noha reciters or majalis owners and organisers. i dont think it is something to romanticise. it was a trend, an era that passed.

sure it is, mallang lifestyle sits comfortably within religious rules and laws, this is what we are trying to explain.