Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Hot Seat: A Chat With ShiaChat

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

As to the other issues you brought up...I'm ashamed to say I don't know what Candy Crush is,either. I think the only thing I remember playing is PAC-Man way back probably when you were just a little nipper. If you were even around. Beyond that I'm lost. I realize that I am surrounded by computer and technology wizzes here. @baradar_jackson and @Darth Vader and others have conversations in a language that might as well be Martian to me. One of the low points in my life as far as that goes was when I had to ask my then-kindergartener to fix the computer for me...AND SHE COULD!

my sons have said they want to teach me to play things with names that scare me to death. I feel so out of it that I want to go hide in a corner and put on my stash of " giant black CD's!" as my daughter called them when she was younger. It's hard being a dinosaur. I can still duct tape and baling wire together a pick-up truck , though.

I also don't know who the heck Dexter is...DeeDee...who? I killed my Idiot Box when the " Reality TV " genre started kicking in and never got a new one. It was probably happy to be put out of its misery after the Bush administration, when I  pegged it regularly, tossing shoes at the man's face before I knew that was actually a thing. ( My husband begged me to use slippers) Is there anything worth watching out there in the Wasteland now?

One perk..unless I am listening to the radio or on the computer, I won't know the News and will be blissfully unaware when they drop or shoot something and I get surprisingly vaporized one day.

Hummpfff...I did not have to google Hephaestus and Amphitrite. ( and why isn't Amphitrite an OBVIOUS choice for a  female member of a sea-going nation?!) There are these things called " books" ( you should try them sometime!)used in something called a " liberal arts" or " classic" education and mythology was just one of the disciplines we were required to learn. I just had to reference my notes of old. ( Older than you are,likely) 

what will you young'uns do when the power goes out?

I think we need an Over the Hill and Down the Other Side Club or something  in here  for those of us who can still drive stick , heard all the GOOD BANDS,and remember when our teachers thought a wooden desk would protect us from a nuclear bomb.

if you have any other questions, I'm game.

Edited by LeftCoastMom
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NOTE: We're looking to restart these interviews. If you have anyone you think would be a good subject, or if you're interested in conducting the interviews yourself, read my post here and drop a comme

Salamun Alaykum. 1) I get tired from having the same name. When I became "al-Ibrahimi" I thought that's it, no more changes. This is perfect. Why? Because it was a more serious name than DaBeast3

Based on popular demand - and nominations by members in a previous thread - the first person to be interviewed will be @LeftCoastMom! She's a mom and she's from the left coast so stick tight an

Posted Images

• Veteran Member
18 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

technology wizzes here. @baradar_jackson and @Darth Vader and others have conversations in a language that might as well

@baradar_jackson a tech wiz? The guy still uses floppy disks, for crying out loud!

my sons have said they want to teach me to play things with names that scare me to death. I feel so out of it that I want to go hide in a corner and put on my stash of " giant black CD's!" as my daughter called them when she was younger.

And, what are these names that scare you so?

It's hard being a dinosaur.

Which species? I'd say Brontosaurus.

I can still duct tape and baling wire together a pick-up truck , though.

I knew you had it in you! I'm proud of you, Brontosaurus, I'm proud of you.

I also don't know who the heck Dexter is...DeeDee...who?

:tongueangry:Heresy! How have you not watched the greatest of all cartoons?

You mentioned not being allowed to read comic books. Why not?

Hummpfff...I did not have to google Hephaestus and Amphitrite. ( and why isn't Amphitrite an OBVIOUS choice for a  female member of a sea-going nation?!) There are these things called " books" ( you should try them sometime!)used in something called a " liberal arts" or " classic" education and mythology was just one of the disciplines we were required to learn. I just had to reference my notes of old. ( Older than you are,likely) 

:itsok:

• Forum Administrators

LCM play Mario or something. For my first game ever, my mother had a choice of Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye 007 when she got my N64 in '98. My gaming fate was forever sealed that day...

I would recommend the anime One Piece, at least some of it. Based on reading about you here, I think you might like it.

Edited by magma
  • Veteran Member
6 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

This has been a lot of fun. Hope I didn't bore anyone to death.:rolleyes:

Nonsense! You were awesome and I wish I could continue but, alas, the show must go on! :P

So, I'll now hand the reins over to the master, @DigitalUmmah. For the next interview, we're going with @starlight. It was tough choosing between her and @magma as the two new mods but, well, we had to choose one. For those waiting for him, you won't have to wait long, as we'll be going through him and a bunch of the other awesome members soon - slowly but surely!

• Veteran Member
20 hours ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

For the next interview, we're going with @starlight. It was tough choosing between her and @magma as the two new mods but, well, we had to choose one.

Rest assured, the slight will not be forgotten.

• Veteran Member
On 12/10/2015 at 8:01 PM, magma said:

LCM play Mario or something. For my first game ever, my mother had a choice of Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye 007 when she got my N64 in '98. My gaming fate was forever sealed that day...

I would recommend the anime One Piece, at least some of it. Based on reading about you here, I think you might like it.

Mario is frustrating, in my opinion. (unless you play it without the intention of beating the game, which is impossible to do when you're playing a platformer). For a new gamer, who has almost zero gaming experience, I would recommend something like:

Super Smash Bros

Mario Party

Crazy Taxi

Ridge Racer

These are all great "pick up and play" game series. There are more of course, I just wanted to list some as examples. Among newer games: Splatoon is very cool. Oh and I forgot about Virtua Cop, but you would need a light gun and a CRT television to really fully experience it. Arcade games are where it's at. These are the type of games that got me into gaming. Like everyone else in the world, the first game I played was Super Mario Bros for NES. But Ridge Racer Revolution was the game that got me appreciating games on a higher level. And that ended up dictating a lot of my tastes (I love arcade games). In spite of our different tastes (which is more due to my laziness and gaming sucktitude than anything else), I have two individuals to thank for bringing me out of my gaming hiatus: you, and AVGN.

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Am I allowed to chime in or does this interview exist in a vacuum? I wanted to reply to the mutah stuff.

I don't see why not. In fact, we'd appreciate more people chiming in and commenting.

We'll even appreciate people send us any questions they might have.

• Veteran Member

A big thank you to our @LeftCoastMom for taking the time to answer. I have thoroughly enjoyed the interview and I wish you had sat on the Hot Seat a bit longer. Your thoughts especially on Native American issues have been educational to say the least. Thanks due to OP/interviewer for making this possible.

Onward to nominations: I'm glad my first nominee has been interviewed. I won't mention @starlight as she's our next hot-seater. Here are a few names for your consideration (not excluding previously nominated). 

@notme @Abbas. @Ruq @Darth Vader @Tonks @Bakir @Noor al Batul @Gaius I. Caesar @Chaotic Muslem @hasanhh @King @Haji 2003 @Brained @mina@Ali Musaaa :) and @magma

Edited by Marbles
Added names

Can I just add my thanks to LCM for her great answers and KUZ for doing such a great job as interviewer in chief MashaAllah. really interesting to learn about non shia, non desi/arab/farsi members of tthis site. 

Sis Starlight, are you ready? :) 

• Veteran Member
Just now, DigitalUmmah said:

Can I just add my thanks to LCM for her great answers and KUZ for doing such a great job as interviewer in chief MashaAllah. really interesting to learn about non shia, non desi/arab/farsi members of tthis site. 

Get started! We're all dying from anticipation.

• Moderators
On 12/11/2015 at 9:00 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

lol, yes.......... I am nervous though 

Salam, Ya Ali (as) Madad, and Lanat upon the enemies of the AhlulBayt (as)

The next member who I have the pleasure of interviewing is sister @starlight 

The only member in all of shiachat history that can claim to have been elevated to mod status by popular vote, Starlight is a shining example of great akhlaaq, kindness, patience and quality posts. She is often a voice of calm and reason in heated debates and has a very maternal persona to the younger members of the forum. an absolute gem of a member!

[QUESTION SET 1 OF 3]

(1) What events in your life lead you to this point here, today?

(2) what is life like in the starlight world?

(3) Talk about your children mashaAllah. how are you finding motherhood? what did you wish you knew before hand, and what would you say to future mothers?

(4) how do you keep yourself busy when you are not shiachatting or being a supermum?

(5) Imagine I have never heard any desi poetry, qawalli or culture. what three youtube videos would you choose to introduce me to this aspect of desi culture?

(6) where do you see yourself in five years, and what are you doing to get there?

(7) do you understand what I mean when I say "we are all made of stardust"? if so, explain to the readers!

(8) do you read much? what books have had a great influence on you?

(9) what do you wish you told yourself on this day 15 years ago?

(10) you have 5 minutes to talk about any subject you are interested in but don't really get the chance to talk about on shiachat. 

Edited by DigitalUmmah
  • Veteran Member

Because I promised you people general nerdiness and Greek mythology,

11. If you were one of the Greek pantheon, who would you be? (Again!)

12. Who's more awesome: Deadpool or Deathstroke? (I'm guessing you'll probably have to Google them! :P )

14 minutes ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

12. Who's more awesome: Deadpool or Deathstroke? (I'm guessing you'll probably have to Google them! :P )

Deadpool - funnier, more enjoyable even though the last one i bought of his was his minibus where he kills the multiverse

deathstroke - more badasser by a mile.

• Moderators
On 12/11/2015 at 9:45 AM, Khadim uz Zahra said:

Because I promised you people general nerdiness and Greek mythology,

11. If you were one of the Greek pantheon, who would you be? (Again!)

11. Athena!!!!!!!!!    no second thoughts   :)

12. Deadpool, easily, he is a lot smarter :D 

21 hours ago, starlight said:

Looking back I can pinpoint the times when life took a 180 degree turn, my father's death quite early in my childhood(something that  took me years to accept), my mother making me choose Medicine over Physics in college(this one was a 2 year long mother-daughter battle, lol)   then coming this close to moving to UK for a career in medicine and then letting it go because I didn't want to leave my mother in Pakistan(no regrets),  a rushed marriage(a bazillion regrets lol)  and finally to continue my studies regardless of whatever turmoil was going on my personal life( the best decision I have made so far).

Life is super BUUUSSSSY!!!! its a mad rush most of the days, starting at fajar every morning, packing school lunch, making breakfast ,getting everyone ready to leave on time,rushing to work after dropping the kids at their schools,stopping at two, three or some days more places on my way back to do shopping, go to the bank etc , then in the afternoon its homework, ironing, washing, cooking, extra things like helping my daughter with the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that  'absolutely must be finished that evening lest a catastrophe like alien invasion befalls earth at night and the puzzle never gets to see the light of the day' ,sewing school costumes :dwarf:and after the kids are in bed I try to study if I am able to tear myself away from SC :rolleyes: . So even though I have a jam packed day, everyday, there is nothing particularly exciting about my life that I can share with the other members

Innah Lillahi wa Innah Ilayhi Rajioon, do you want to talk about your fathers passing? how do you feel it affected your interactions with men?

I wont pry into your marriage obviously, but is there any lessons you learnt during that period, that you can share with those who may be in a similar situation? what does your household look like now, do you work full time?

you shouldnt put yourself down about  not being exciting! your interview has had people flocking to this thread and my PMs requesting that I ask you questions on their behalf, so it seems that not only are you one of the most popular and interesting members of this forum, but that many members want you to speak more!

how are you socially, do you have a wide circle of friends? when was the last time you could go out and let your hair down?

20 hours ago, starlight said:

Talking about my children......hahaha....that is something I can keep on doing indefinitely.... but  will try and keep it short. 

Motherhood is the best thing in life. Quite often I hear people saying parenting is a thankless job, I couldn't disagree more. Parenting is a privilege, countless moments of pure joy everyday. Sometimes, the burden of responsibility weighs me down, it me after all who has to answer to Allah one day about their upbringing as good muslims.

and then there are days when I feel like pulling my hair out or losing it and yelling at the top of my voice hah ...let's hear mommy scream too, for a change   My kids are perfect angels all the time and so if you ever ask me about incidents where kids tossed grandma's specs in the toilet bowl, neatly cut a a perfect round hole in the new bedsheet using safety scissors,generously smeared mommy's tinted lip balm all over the dolls faces,used data sheets for making paperboats, had something to do with the unopened bag of bite sized chocolates that suddenly went missing one afternoon when mommy was out shopping, used water paints to paint their faces and bodies minutes after taking a bath , I would very 'truthfully' say No, I have no recollection of any such incidents ever happening. :itsok:

'Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body' 

^I had heard this before but I didn't know how true it would be . Even now after seven years of being a mother, three since my daughter started school, most days I have a hard time driving away after dropping my kids at their schools, I try to linger on as much as I can, lol, especially with my son who is younger and has been going to school for a year now, I still push back tears sometimes after seeing him off at the school gate. 

to the future mothers:  you will always hear about how hard it is being a parent, what a sacrifice, but ...you don't know how much joy it will bring. 

See answer no (2) 

MashaAllah, may Allah only increase and increase and increase his mercy upon you and your children and keep all harm from you.

forgive me if I am wrong, but am I right to assume you are a single mother? has this had an effect when it comes to your local community? how has the support structure been?

18 hours ago, starlight said:

Now this is a tough one. I am not interested in qawalli or you tube and absolutely clueless about poetry.... but since I have been handed the job I will come up with something, hmm........

Okay for qawali I will find something by the legendary qawal Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan ,choose something from one of his popular ones probably 'dam mast qalander' 

for Pakistani culture I will show you an unedited pakistani wedding video with the actual conversations, not that music dubbed, edited version :grin::woot: after which you will be so traumatised that you will forget to ask about poetry and run back to wherever you came from. 

problem solved, :sunglasses::thankyou:

I have switched gears in the past 3/4 years from someone who wanted nothing more than being a full time stay at home, cookie baking mother to someone who is very ambitious about her career. So now all my personal goals are career related I hope I will have a PhD in five years, I really really really want that to happen... and I am hoping I will be an assistant professor somewhere if not an associate. I also plan to focus more on the volunteer work I do with kids and hopefully achieve something meaningful,bring some difference in their lives. 

lol, science says that around 90% of our bodies are made up of elements that originally came from the stars.....Now saying this gave me a rather uncomfortable feeling,I have started feeling less human........:worried: 

HA! noted. no more questions about qawallis!

career wise, what is your PhD in? is it self funded? how are you balancing motherhood & career & studying all at once???

can you talk a little about your volunteer work please? what voluntary work do you do, how did you get into it to begin with, and what have you learnt from the experiences?

you know what? 100% of everything comes from stars. so the atoms that make up your right hand, may have come from a completely different star that exploded so far away, its not even in our GALAXY, than the atoms in your left hand. so when you look out at the stars, you are literally the universe looking out at itself. isnt that beautiful? how can one deny an Allah who brought our atoms together from all corners of the universe to form us?

3 hours ago, starlight said:

I used to read a lot . A LOT. There was a time between finishing school and starting college, a hiatus of 6 months, during that time I read everything in the library close to my home, even books on military strategies(not that i was able to understand much,lol)  and all the Time and Newsweek dating back 15 years. In college I probably spent more time in non academic reading, :itsok: studying just enough to pass the exams. Don't follow in my foot steps younglings, I was rebelling . It was then I fell in love with P.G. Wodehouse, dug through my father's things for his copy of 'the Old Man and the Sea', read mom's entire collection of  Reader's digest Condensed Books and went through the more popular works of Wilkie collins again :) . 

Lately, I haven't been able to read much, as I am now a teacher I have to do a lot of academic reading(books and journals)  which strangely I have started to enjoy (wonders will never cease!!) and leisure reading has slowly dwindled to pretty much nothing. 

My favourite all time book is Nahjul balagha. It's full of wisdom and advice, time and again I pick it up in moments of doubt and indecisiveness and I find something to help me out of the confusion. 

15 years back???  Lol, I don't remember that long back, will have to think, where was I 15 years ago.............

ahhhh.... I was a very impatient person back then,I wish I could understand that Allah has His plans and things go as He has planned not like we want , infact we can't even want unless he wants us to want. (hope you guys understand what I tried to say here)

well, there isn't much. In a conversation I am always a listener. I am a chatterbox on SC if you compare to what I am like in real life. IRL I hardly speak unless spoken to. 

oh you are a teacher? apologies I thought you were a medical doctor! can you describe your role for the readers?

I hope you are looking forward to january when I will InshaAllah narrate the nahjul balagha :)

I find that SCers tend to be the people who are quiet/ overlooked in life. this place becomes a platform to express themselves and form their identities in a way they cannot do in the "real" world, do you think this is the case?

Sis Starlight these are the questions submitted to me via PM to ask you, by your shy (and wishing to remain anonymous!) admirers:

1) Of all your pet peeves, which is the strangest?

2) Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?

3) A phone call wakes you in the middle of night and the voice says you are Nobel prize winner of the year. Your reaction? 

4) How do you like being a mod so far? do you think you can make a great improvement to SC in your new uniform? What are the pros and cons of being a mod in your opinion?

5) If Allah asks you to surrender one of the five senses, which one would you give away? State your reasons.

6) Who is or was your celebrity crush?

7) You're a medical doctor. Which area of specialisation is the most fun to study and which is most lucrative?

8) Are you good at hiding secrets like other women?

9) If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would you bring?

10)  Do you wish your childhood back. If not, why not.

11) On a scale of 1 to 10, how intolerable do you find selfies on Facebook?

12) If you were 85 years old, what would you tell your children? Options: 1) Stop being such a retired person? 2) You are still a baby because I'm your mother *shouts* or 3) Well, you're not that old. State your reasons.

• Veteran Member

Loved the interview Star! :P I relate so much to the academic reading aspect. I left Sartre, Dostoievski, Orwell, etc. for experts in digital art and design, which aren't less interesting to read but honestly, less fulfilling in terms of spirituality and human philosophy xD. The academic world is well worth it though, the people you meet in it are worth it totally. It is hard to find people from whom you can learn so much from.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Innah Lillahi wa Innah Ilayhi Rajioon, do you want to talk about your fathers passing? how do you feel it affected your interactions with men?

It was very sudden and I had a hard time coping with it. I was 8 then ,I wish I had more time with him and gotten to know the trivial details most children know about their father, his favourite meal, favourite colour, some small quirky habit that you pretend to be embarrassed about but secretly adore.Mom never talked about him much after he passed away so for years afterwards I would spend hours going through the boxes of his belongings,his clothes, books and journals trying to put back pieces of the puzzle. I wish my kids could meet him , he would have made a great grandad. :)

I wont pry into your marriage obviously, but is there any lessons you learnt during that period, that you can share with those who may be in a similar situation? what does your household look like now, do you work full time?

Lesson learnt: A fasting,praying, quran reciting person doesn't necessarily mean that person will be a good human being too. Lots of people focus on ibaadats while ignoring huqqoq ul ibaad. 

yes, I work full time :) but I live with my mother so I have a lot of help. I never have to worry about kids being by themselves if I am ever late from work or when I have to travel.

how are you socially, do you have a wide circle of friends? when was the last time you could go out and let your hair down?

I am an introvert.So that means I never enjoy big parties or gatherings where I have to meet a lot of people.In college more than once I invoke my friends' wrath by dropping out from social events at the last minute :D . I have lots of friends, in different capacities...this is one area of my life where I have been extremely lucky. I have a whole bunch of friends on who I can rely on for providing tangible help, sincere advice and unconditional support. I try to do the same for them . At least once a  month I try to take a break from being a mommy and go out for a nice breakfast or brunch.

MashaAllah, may Allah only increase and increase and increase his mercy upon you and your children and keep all harm from you.

thank you for the duas, 

career wise, what is your PhD in? is it self funded? how are you balancing motherhood & career & studying all at once???

I haven't done my PhD yet, Neurophysiology has always captivated me. I hope I am balancing it.Like I said my mother helps a lot. I try to plan ahead and work efficiently. Over the years I have learnt to priortise and multitask and that helps too. 

can you talk a little about your volunteer work please? what voluntary work do you do, how did you get into it to begin with, and what have you learnt from the experiences?

I am doing very little volunteer work atm. I would love to do more. I work with children who have lost their parents. Even before I got married and had kids of my own I had wanted to adopt and raise children who didn't have parents. I don't think I will ever adopt a child because I am a single mother now and have already too much on my plate and I have become more aware of the religious rulings regarding adoption.

There is this shelter for homeless kids that I used to pass by on my way to work and even though I always wanted to go inside and meet the kids I could never pluck the courage. I thought I didn't have a degree or experience in social work so they wouldn't have any use for me and I would probably just embarrass myself. But one day I just decided to go, I didn't want to regret not trying. I brought some colouring books, crayons,pencils, candies and chocolates and walked in there and Boy!!!!! did I receive a warm welcome!!! not only from the kids but also the staff who worked there. The incharge there told me they would be happy even if I could just come to chat with the kids. I have been going there regularly for sometime now and offer what little I can. There isn't much I have been able to do, sometimes I just read stories to the younger kids, talk to them, offer advice to the older ones regarding their education and possible careers. They don't have a resident doctor there so if there are any sick kids I prescribe medicines.I try to help the older kids with job placements too. I always take my children with me too, I believe all children should to taught to give and not just receive and  I was so happy when my daughter used all the money she has collected in her piggy bank to buy presents for those kids.  It been a wonderful experience and I feel extremely grateful to be included in their lives. 

you know what? 100% of everything comes from stars. so the atoms that make up your right hand, may have come from a completely different star that exploded so far away, its not even in our GALAXY, than the atoms in your left hand. so when you look out at the stars, you are literally the universe looking out at itself. isnt that beautiful? how can one deny an Allah who brought our atoms together from all corners of the universe to form us?

Indeed. I am grateful to Allah to have blessed me with the insight to appreciate this. 

oh you are a teacher? apologies I thought you were a medical doctor! can you describe your role for the readers?

I am both...lol... I am medical doctor who teaches in a medical college so I am both. Apologies for creating the confusion.

I hope you are looking forward to january when I will InshaAllah narrate the nahjul balagha :)

I sure am, May Allah and Masoomeen (a.s) bless you and reward your efforts handsomely.

I find that SCers tend to be the people who are quiet/ overlooked in life. this place becomes a platform to express themselves and form their identities in a way they cannot do in the "real" world, do you think this is the case?

LOL, I am a quiet person but certainly not overlooked. On the contrary, people have wrongly accused me of overlooking them :itsok: but what can I do.I don't have that personality makeup that most people around would want(that does'nt include my friends). I find discussion of who wore what on which family gathering cringe inducing and have absolutely no patience for protracted discussions revolving around family politics... so I escape here :yahoo:

Edited by starlight
  • Veteran Member
53 minutes ago, starlight said:

6) Who is or was your celebrity crush?

Am I allowed to say? This is an islamic forum:blush:

Islamic and human. It's okay. Crushes are legit as long as you lower your gaze. So tell us :D

• Moderators
On 12/13/2015 at 5:36 AM, Marbles said:

Islamic and human. It's okay. Crushes are legit as long as you lower your gaze. So tell us :D

okaaaaayyy........

Doctor................. McDreamy  :blush:

**** lowered the gaze (gave up watching the show sometime back )**** :( 

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

okaaaaayyy........

Doctor................. McDreamy  :blush:

**** lowered the gaze (gave up watching the show sometime back )**** :( 

If you would have mentioned a bollywood actor I would have demanded you be stripped of modship and banned immediately from sc forever. 

Ok Sis star, you have been a DIAMOND of an interview, but I will sadly only ask you one more round of questions in a few hours inshaAllah when I am home from work

Sis Starlight Im almost sad to type out this post, as it signals the end of your fantastic answers :(

I thought as a bit of a change, I would play to the most value that you provide to shiachat, and that is your wisdom. I think for the next 10 questions, I will ask "what advice would you give...." if you dont mind?

(1) What advice would you give to sisters who are in a similar position to what you once were in terms of career choice? how do you choose the "right" path?

(2) What advice would you give to those considering further education as "Adults"?

(3) What advice would you give to those who who are looking for a "parenting style"? how is your parenting style? are you strict? liberal? religious?

(4) What advice would you give to SC members in general, that we could all benefit from?

(5) What advice would you give those who are suffering the agony of loss?

(6) What advice would you give to someone who has never gotten into non religion related books? what would you suggest to "hook" them and why?

(7) What advice would you give to brothers who wish to attract a partner (in a halal way of course), ie. what features to males overlook?

(8) What advice would you give to someone who was about to cook you your favourite meal?

(9) What advice would you give to someone who feels that their naseeb means they will never find a partner?

(10) What advice would you give your children if you could lock it in a capsule so they would not read it for 10 years?

• Moderators
On 12/14/2015 at 1:21 PM, DigitalUmmah said:

Sis Starlight I am almost sad to type out this post, as it signals the end of your fantastic answers :(

I thought as a bit of a change, I would play to the most value that you provide to shiachat, and that is your wisdom. I think for the next 10 questions, I will ask "what advice would you give...." if you don't mind?

DISCLAIMER : All advice given below are from a person who loves to rebel, break rules and believes most people take life too seriously. So, PRACTISE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

(1) What advice would you give to sisters who are in a similar position to what you once were in terms of career choice? how do you choose the "right" path?

I would say choose an area where you can achieve a balance between home and work.  I am old school, and believe a woman's primary job is taking care of her home and family.Career for a woman should be secondary, to supplement the family income if ever the need arises and as a fall back option if in difficult times. To me personally, hard sciences and traditional professions like medicine and teaching have appealed more but there are others which allow flexible working hours. I am also not in favour of women entering male dominated careers.I am not saying women cannot succeed in those but the price is high and often involves neglecting her primary roles as a wife, mother and daughter.

(2) What advice would you give to those considering further education as "Adults"?

It's essential that we continue to grow and expand our horizons. There are going to be hurdles but there are benefits. You will enjoy school and studying like you never did while you were young, it will keep you engaged and prevent you from feeling trapped in your job and home... also you will be setting a good example for your kids. :grin: