Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Adam++

This forum is dead.

Rate this topic

I remember when I used to post here there was so much spirit in the forum. It was a pleasure to come online and engage in dialogue and discussion with others. There were always activities going on central to the Islamic months.. For instance, in Ramadan there would be videos of selected speakers uploaded and daily contests..

It just seems so stale and dry, as if a tornado ran through it and sucked the life out.. 

Perhaps its the layout. I don't prefer this Facebook integrated format. It's sad to see this once powerful site go blank. 

:(

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Good to have you back. Why don't you try injecting some life into it??

IDK.

Mabey this forum becomes a reflection of the individual.

Some of us spent a good chunk of our early lives literally living on this site. It's like seeing one of my favourites uncles suffer from obesity. 

On 11/30/2015 at 9:59 AM, Wise Muslim said:

I remember when I used to post here there was so much spirit in the forum. It was a pleasure to come online and engage in dialogue and discussion with others. There were always activities going on central to the Islamic months.. For instance, in Ramadan there would be videos of selected speakers uploaded and daily contests..

It just seems so stale and dry, as if a tornado ran through it and sucked the life out.. 

Perhaps its the layout. I don't prefer this Facebook integrated format. It's sad to see this once powerful site go blank. 

:( 

You're not alone. Most old timers feel that way. The site has lost its former popularity to so many new social media platforms. A decade ago forums like this were the only viable means to connect with people of similar interests. And most old members who made this place have left.

On 11/30/2015, 7:07:03, Wise Muslim said:

IDK.

Some of us spent a good chunk of our early lives literally living on this site. It's like seeing one of my favourites uncles suffer from obesity. 

LOL , I can understand, I have seen other old members express the same fondness for SC. Okay, so let's  try and get the obese Uncle up and jogging kicking.

On 11/30/2015 at 10:12 AM, Marbles said:

You're not alone. Most old timers feel that way. The site has lost its former popularity to so many new social media platforms. A decade ago forums like this were the only viable means to connect with people of similar interests. And most old members who made this place have left.

Yes, I feel there should be a specific section for us veterans. We suffered for this site and deserve to be compensated somehow. 

Where did we wrong? 

On 11/30/2015 at 10:19 AM, starlight said:

@Wise Muslim, If you are in touch with some other old members outside of SC, maybe ask them to pay us a visit here? 

I'm not really in touch with them. 

I returned to this site totally by pure coincidence. The owner messaged me on Facebook sending me that sc intro video I made saying how his family got a huge laugh off of it....

It gave me some good memories and I asked him to unban me so I can find my old posts and laugh at myself too lol. 

21 minutes ago, Wise Muslim said:

Interesting point that deserves more exploration. So 'stale and dry, as if a tornado ran through it and sucked the life out' - could this description apply to yourself? in other words, is your disatisfaction really about what is or isnt happening on this forum?

7 minutes ago, Ruq said:

Interesting point that deserves more exploration. So 'stale and dry, as if a tornado ran through it and sucked the life out' - could this description apply to yourself? in other words, is your disatisfaction really about what is or isnt happening on this forum?

You speak the truth. 

This is also about us. Most of us back then were teens of tweanies full of vim and vigour of youth. We enjoyed many things back then which we find silly and useless now. So yes, this is also about growing up into mature adults and moving on with life of family and responsibilities. But since there is a child in all of us, some of us old timers still stick around without realising that we are communicating with people below our age range...

The young ones seem to have a good time on SC anyway.

17 minutes ago, Tonks said:

Yeah I'm still waiting for some action from all the claims you made :D (the virtual travel thread is cool btw!)

@Wise Muslim

Do you still have the link to the trivia quiz?

I just found it.

http://www.funtrivia.com/private/halloffame2.cfm?tid=40741

Aliya and Zuljenah destroyed everyone back then! Bet if we played now things would turn out different ;) 

14 minutes ago, Ruq said:

Yes, like you said: it deserves more exploration. 

Based on the responses we are receiving here, this overall dissatisfaction seems to be a common trend and not a unique experience. Therefore, it suffices to conclude that ShiaChat has been in the decline since the old members left. Or mabey the old members left because ShiaChat became in decline. It isn't clear to me.

The cause of ShiaChat becoming like my obese uncle is yet to be determined... There was still a responsibility on us to take care of this site, and we failed it in that regard. 

Edited by Wise Muslim

6 minutes ago, Marbles said:

It must be an expectation thing then. Ive been knocking about for about 5 years and my satisfaction levels here have always been proportionate to my satisfaction levels generally. The only objective issue i can identify is slow traffic. Waiting for replies tends to have the effect of deadening enthusiasm, but im probably as guilty of being the dawdler as anyone else.

4 minutes ago, Marbles said:

You speak the truth. 

This is also about us. Most of us back then were teens of tweanies full of vim and vigour of youth. We enjoyed many things back then which we find silly and useless now. So yes, this is also about growing up into mature adults and moving on with life of family and responsibilities. But since there is a child in all of us, some of us old timers still stick around without realising that we are communicating with people below our age range...

I disagree, completely. 

Age has nothing to do with enjoying this site. Back then we had members from a diverse age range -- from teenagers to adults in their mid- 40's with families. 

Just because we share more responsibilites now as fathers, Imams, etc, that doesn't mean we can't spent our off time or odd weekend to relax and communicate on this site. A lot of old-timers managed to do that. The site was more appealing.

Take into consideration: if ShiaChat was say like Facebook -- everyone would return to this site and the spirit would be very high again. 

It has more to do with the decline of this once adorable site than the maturing of the members. Besides, if what your saying is true, then in any industry you would expect the new generation to maintain that "vim and vagour of youth" actively posting on this site.

One other speculation I might suggest is that it might have to do with the rise in social media. Back then Facebook and Twitter were not as big as now. This could have pretty much monopolized the forum market; unfortunately, even from ShiaChat.

3 minutes ago, Wise Muslim said:

One other speculation I might suggest is that it might have to do with the rise in social media. Back then Facebook and Twitter were not as big as now. This could have pretty much monopolized the forum market; unfortunately, even from ShiaChat.

Yep, I think this is the main reason.

New gen has not replaced the old gen because they are too busy elsewhere...

Edited by Marbles