Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Adam++

This forum is dead.

Rate this topic

^ 2003, when SC was a noob itself, and people thought it was dead. smh :grin:

Viewing from the Activity tab at the top of the homepage, SC is more active, more exciting and more fun than ever! 

I think the idea of social media making forums 'dead' is very overplayed. Look at a plethora of other forums doing extremely well ? From Reddit to others.

I think one issue with regards to this forum is that it is extremely hard to start up an account. You have post restrictions and i daresay that turns away many, many people. There needs to be greater freedom in terms of registering accounts. To counter balance that, just bring in more moderators, and IP ban culprits.

Furthermore, there needs to be more moderate banning of individuals who only oppose shi'sm, even if it is in a harsh but not abusive manner. If you ban everyone that disagree's with you, there is no more controversy on these boards or debate.

This forum does not need over-policing. Too much banning and warning and being restrictive will kill it - it is essential to take this into account.

5 minutes ago, Tawheed313 said:

This forum does not need over-policing. Too much banning and warning and being restrictive will kill it - it is essential to take this into account.

I agree. Sadly, over policing seems to be what a vocal portion of users want.

18 minutes ago, notme said:

I think moderators and Admins need to be given an advice when moderating to do so in a more lax way, if it is appropriate. Yes, we want shia-chat clean, but it can become too restrictive.

I'm not sure if they changed up the rules on registering, but to posts only x posts a day, after it gets reviewed and not to post freely until the next 6 months or so is far , far too restrictive.  People get turned away from making accounts - they come to be free, not to be restricted.

Yes, rules are important, and keeping SC clean is vital, but we need to be confident enough to allow controversy and those who oppose shia islam.

Well, the chat room is definitely dead, but that's because you can't even share a joke with anyone before you get told off.  I wish it was active like it was during Ramadan, and members like King were allowed back in. Who knows, it might get better. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

No, please, relax it a bit. Users who seem to want over-policing are preparing themselves for the future mod positions...so we should not listen to them?

Recently a few harmless posts got edited, some without explanation. Humour also seems to be out of favour on SC, as though being a Shia entails being a mirthless agelast.  

Now, you of all people know of my resistance against the mod team of the golden era, yet even in those days no one would have touched those posts.

I daresay the problem is young users getting blue banner too soon. Quick to assert authority, quick to control morality, quick to feel good.

I'm complaining because this got mentioned. I don't bother filling out complaints forms to the mods anymore. And who knows, this post might get hidden/deleted because our mods are very protective of the tribe.

But the word has been said.

@Marbles: I think the issue is more personality than maturity. The average age of mods is much higher than it usually has been in the past. I think there is more desire to please users than there historically had been.

Over time, I've heard people say the site is too restrictive and others say it's too loose.

Attributing the perceived decline in quality of the forum to moderation of posts or banning of certain members might score some populist political points in some circles, but that doesn't address the main factor, which is ourselves. We have every opportunity to contribute as much as we want within the rules and within common sense. We need to stop complaining, scapegoating moderators, Facebook, and the state of virtual humanity, and above all, being prisoners of the "good old days". How about today? Today seems like a good day to me.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

No, please, relax it a bit. Users who seem to want over-policing are preparing themselves for the future mod positions...so we should not listen to them?

Recently a few harmless posts got edited, some without explanation. Humour also seems to be out of favour on SC, as though being a Shia entails being a mirthless agelast.  

Now, you of all people know of my resistance against the mod team of the golden era, yet even in those days no one would have touched those posts.

I daresay the problem is young users getting blue banner too soon. Quick to assert authority, quick to control morality, quick to feel good.

I'm complaining because this got mentioned. I don't bother filling out complaints forms to the mods anymore. And who knows, this post might get hidden/deleted because our mods are very protective of the tribe.

But the word has been said.

58 minutes ago, magma said:

Over time, I've heard people say the site is too restrictive and others say it's too loose.

Attributing the perceived decline in quality of the forum to moderation of posts or banning of certain members might score some populist political points in some circles, but that doesn't address the main factor, which is ourselves. We have every opportunity to contribute as much as we want within the rules and within common sense. We need to stop complaining, scapegoating moderators, Facebook, and the state of virtual humanity, and above all, being prisoners of the "good old days". How about today? Today seems like a good day to me.

This remind me of the NBA. When Me, MJ, and Scottie was there back in the 90's we do whatever we pleased. Won 3 Championships. We was like the beetles. Everywhere we went places was sold out. It was KJ, Patrick, Charles, Hakeem, Clyde, Isiah, Joe Dumars, a buncha ppl.  I won 2 Championships in the big D. Then we all left, refs started going all whistles on the next generation . Handchecking fouls. Now you even smile you get tossed. And ain't nobody even watch basketball now lol.   

9 hours ago, Abbas. said:

Selectively finding threads of past complaints do not weaken the argument that there is less activity on SC today then in 2003.... 

2007 was the time old members started to leave ...  I think that was the beginning of the tornado forming. 

9 hours ago, Ruq said:

Let me try and clarify it like this: if the problem is with the site itself (a detrimental change in format or structure or moderation) then the issue lies with the owner and admin. If the dissatisfaction is due to people now comparing their SC experience with their FB/Twitter experiences then maybe the issue lies with the expectations of the users. The question youre left with is whether the owner/admin should change the site to compete, or whether they should let SC be what its always been.

It sounds like you are arguing for the sake of arguing.  Why can't it be both? Yes, there is a decline in the site and in the dissatisfaction of the members. Have you heard of cause and effect? 

10 hours ago, baradar_jackson said:

Wise Muslim bro, no offense, but you ain't been here in years. How can you come back and complain that it's dead? You contributed to its deadening.

It reminds me of something my grandfather used to say. We'd be on the Shahid Sadr highway (before they finished the second level), and the traffic would be terrible. At 2 AM. He would say: "what are people doing out at this time?"

That's essentially what you are asking, with this thread. If people stayed, remained active, contributed... the forum wouldn't be dead. The forum is what we make of it.

And I have admitted that we failed in that regard. Had I been promoted from chat-mod to admin we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

10 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Wise Muslim - first of all have you accepted the superiority of the desi master race over you?

secondly, you raise a lot of really good points, but we need to be careful we dont lose our identity by trying to copy facebook and twitter etc. a lot of the traffic in the past was driven by controversial topics and controversial members and the intensity of posting. You are right that a lot of that fire has gone out now, and 99% of the "old guard" members have moved on. 

SC became home to many shias online because of its community - it was mighty. if you go on other sects' main forums they werent even a fraction of the spirit and passion of here. My suggestion? build up from the grass roots. lets build a community again, as though we have started from the early 2000's. 

things like daily trivia, member interviews are good, but lets have a think how we can firstly (1) increase the bonds between current members and (2) attract new quality members. 

I don't know -- first you tell me if you have accepted the superiority of India over Pakistan in cricket? 

If ShiaChat doesn't make changes very soon I don't think it will even have an identity. 

5 hours ago, DennisRodman said:

This remind me of the NBA. When Me, MJ, and Scottie was there back in the 90's we do whatever we pleased. Won 3 Championships. We was like the beetles. Everywhere we went places was sold out. It was KJ, Patrick, Charles, Hakeem, Clyde, Isiah, Joe Dumars, a buncha ppl.  I won 2 Championships in the big D. Then we all left, refs started going all whistles on the next generation . Handchecking fouls. Now you even smile you get tossed. And ain't nobody even watch basketball now lol.   

Michael Jordan is extremely hyped and overrated. The level of competition is higher now with bigger & better players, better training technology to improve skillsets, etc. That's why I have Lebron James over Kobe Bryant. Its not normal anymore to form a superstar lineup and dominate games like Shaq and Kobe duo. Just look at the undefeated Warriors, or the dynasty of the Spurs -- teamwork wins games. Jordan had very little competition back then. And Dennis Rodman can take himself and his makeup set back to North Korea. 

11 hours ago, Marbles said:

I'm failing to recognize your presumption.  

Subjective. Many members fail to recognize the standard rules of this forum, which for the most part, are Islamic. The above derives from a certain amount of view-time, at your end.

Edited by Jaafar al-Shibli

21 hours ago, Wise Muslim said:

Selectively finding threads of past complaints do not weaken the argument that there is less activity on SC today then in 2003.... 

2007 was the time old members started to leave ...  I think that was the beginning of the tornado forming. 

You joined back in 2008. You shared the glories of that time period but now you say that the forum was already struggling in 2007. I am not following you.

On 01/12/2015, 04:03:56, Wise Muslim said:

There is a direct correlation between people's experiences declining on ShiaChat and the overall decline of the site -- which was explained in paragraph two. I repeat, the FaceBook and Twitter industry monopolized the forum market. That means many sites like ShiaChat saw a huge decline in their members, and so failed to meet consumer needs. 

If Facebook has monopolised social media, it only makes sense to get with the times and integrate this forum to the likening of new generation's demand. But then you have already shared your dislike for this forum's "Facebook integrated format". 

15 minutes ago, Abbas. said:

You joined back in 2008. You shared the glories of that time period but now you say that the forum was already struggling in 2007. I am not following you.

If Facebook has monopolised social media, it only makes sense to get with the times and integrate this forum to the likening of new generation's demand. But then you have already shared your dislike for this forum's "Facebook integrated format". 

No no, its not about facebook or social media. 

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=10

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/

These are the two forums I usually use and if you look at their graphics and appearence, they are even in some form worse than this site. There isn't even as many options there as there is here to interact with other members. 

It can be two factors

1.) Shiachat.com's target market, what is the target market for this forum? Who do the owners of this site or the staff want posting? Does it cater to Shias only or is it in anyway lenient toward members who are Shia? If this Forum is made with that intention then you're not likely to get many people. Maybe that can be one of the factors that's driven people away. Those two forums above do have much bigger communities but that is because they are not selective in what they want and its just random people posting? 

2.) I'm not criticizing the staff at all. They are very nice people and have good intentions. I truly believe that. You need law and order on any internet forum. One difference between those two forums and Shiachat, they're really not as tightly moderated. They're not restrictive at all. I made an account on Realgm forum and in GLP forum you don't even really need an account to post because they just let you haha. As one other poster above said, here you need your first 10 or 15 posts to be approved by the staff and while the intentions behind that move may be sincere and for the betterment of this site, it would turn a lot of users away. Those two forums pretty much give total freedom for one to speak their mind. Obviously disrespectful comments and foul language you'd probably get a warning or something but its pretty rare. You have want to get banned or warned to get warned. Casual comments they don't care at all. I'm not meaning to suggest SC should become a diverse uncivilized jungle like GLP lool although it is entertaining, but it could be a little more lenient.

3.) My third and last point, from a social perspective, this forum used to have people who were a lot more social and interactive. When I first came to this website, I was witness to an interesting debate. It was 6 years ago, Brother Mufeed, HaydarHusayn, and some others. There would be like 15 different people just arguing and it was fun. Some things were said in those debates for which members would get banned for now but back then everything was harmless and nobody even did anything. I don't think that is the fault of the current staff though, I think as someone else mentioned, its just the age gap. A 28-30 year old Moderator would I guess be more connected with the younger majority on this forum than say a Mother or Father with Children who's much older in age and just the generation gap. Which is not just limited to this site but its very common. So yeah, not anybodys fault. Staff are trying and have good intentions. Members are same youth, different generation. It could be an age gap or things brought up which a younger Moderator or Admin would deem harmless, but a grown more mature person would deem inappropriate. 

Ill give an example: In Europe and the North American continent, there is many Shia youth groups and organizations. They are very successful but the people behind those youth groups and organizations are for the most part youths themselves etc. They are not the Aunties or Uncles who run the actual centers that organize or plan these youth events where 15-30 year olds are present. Although some places there are Aunties and Uncles who do try for good purposes, they have good intentions and its nothing they are doing wrong on their part, but most cases, it doesn't really work as well. 

I've been a member on SC for more than 10 years (though I admit I haven't been active as much). For me, its perfect! It could do with some additional features such as, voice chat, smartphone app support, prominent persons making presence for Q&A, etc etc. That would be a personal preference and I'm certain everyone will have a list of their own.

It would be great if one of the mods could start a new thread offering past contributors as well as the current ones to sample their idea: 'Improving SC - list your suggestions'.

At the same time, I'm guessing the most demanded content will cost money hence members should be willing to contribute and as a big happy family - make it work!

1 minute ago, saas said:

I've been a member on SC for more than 10 years (though I admit I haven't been active as much). For me, its perfect! It could do with some additional features such as, voice chat, smartphone app support, prominent persons making presence for Q&A, etc etc. That would be a personal preference and I'm certain everyone will have a list of their own.

It would be great if one of the mods could start a new thread offering past contributors as well as the current ones to sample their idea: 'Improving SC - list your suggestions'.

At the same time, I'm guessing the most demanded content will cost money hence members should be willing to contribute and as a big happy family - make it work!

Im willing to donate, this site is definitely worth it

Me too! Though SC is in no position to compete with facebook, twitter, google+, etc, even if it could, I prefer the way it is, unique, well-rooted and with a serious approach to concentrate on key topics which I admit won't appeal to the masses. One of the proven and most versatile ways to increase traffic to this site, and maybe more appealing to the younger ones is the idea of introducing a smartphone app. Todays younger gen. is all about the phones and tablets which also opens the doors to sharing content from SC to other social media platforms hence increasing exposure. Now, I have no idea what kind of costs would incur for such a project but if feasible should definitely be on the top list.

p.s. I can only speak for myself, if it went mobile, i'd definitely be here more often

On 01/12/2015, 16:15:44, Abbas. said:

1)  Not true. Re-check your system buddy -- I joined back in 2004-05 but my account got hijacked. I registered again in that year and left shortly after. 

2) The thread you posted from 2007 shows my posts if you scrolled down!!!!! So how can you say I joined in 2008?! LOL.

It is not possible for ShiaChat or any other site to compete with Facebook; so getting along with the times will not help SC; in fact, it will do the opposite -- promote FB and degrade SC for losing its identity...which is what is happening. 

That is why ShiaChat should of been good ol; shiachat...It appeals to a totally unique audience and I think it lost its value somewhat. This used to be a great place when the community felt alive. It doesn't feel alive at all. 

Edited by Wise Muslim

7 hours ago, saas said:

Finally someone offering great solutions as opposed to trying to prove me wrong.

It is completely dead. Why do you think legends like Ali Imran and the creator of SC very rarely post on this site...Because there is nothing left of it.

7 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

Im willing to donate, this site is definitely worth it

I will donate too. We could set up a fundraiser and support this site to even greater heights -- at the same time creating a real community, guiding our youth and others etc

If the access to make any meaningful change is so restricted, there is no use either in complaining as well as suggesting solutions requiring any access from the owner (changing IPB's source code to implement new features).

One could work on making the site more active by making some serious study and identifying what information is required to take decisions on changes to improve the site's activity and performance. I myself am expert in User experience and design, and seeing what we have in this site I can say, without any doubt, that one could make miracles if there was more work put into it. Initiatives like the SC's poll are actually really nice to gather that information required for decision making. But there is still much more to do.

As for the app, that is actually a good suggestion that wouldn't require any access at all actually. And as I said in other ocassions, I would gladly help given the opportunity.

7 hours ago, saas said:

Me too! Though SC is in no position to compete with facebook, twitter, google+, etc, even if it could, I prefer the way it is, unique, well-rooted and with a serious approach to concentrate on key topics which I admit won't appeal to the masses. One of the proven and most versatile ways to increase traffic to this site, and maybe more appealing to the younger ones is the idea of introducing a smartphone app. Todays younger gen. is all about the phones and tablets which also opens the doors to sharing content from SC to other social media platforms hence increasing exposure. Now, I have no idea what kind of costs would incur for such a project but if feasible should definitely be on the top list.

p.s. I can only speak for myself, if it went mobile, i'd definitely be here more often

Regarding the app as well as having a thread to share creative ideas, this is what we started with this year (Check this thread out for details). 

In short, every one pitched in and we came up with many ideas including having a separate app. But we postponed it till upgrade. However now that the default mobile version is much better, we'll have to review whether it's worth the effort and money to subscribe to tapatalk's services. 

You are welcome to share more ideas in that thread. 

Mobile version is good but it definitely could be more customized to fit this forum. For instance, the chat icon could appear in the top menu, with its icon and a red number showing the number of users online. I don't know how many chat users access through mobile, but I used to do so a lot as well as other members, mainly to kill time during transportation while chatting with fellow SCers.

It was evident that people tend to access chat when they see others are online, as Muhammad Ali proved back in the day when we were complaining about chat's activity. In mobile version one may even forget to check how many users are online, as the access is rather hidden in the burger menu.

Edited by Abbas.
Noted

There was a special bond back in the good old days too. The golden era that's missing now. Chemistry you could say. Many of the members from the old days for example including from stuff, I knew personally and had them on Facebook etc. We had our own whatsapp groups too. Nowadays, the closeness doesn't seem to be there. I don't know who anyone is except probably one person. You can make a case that the people from the Golden Era were more in touch with your normal members and the people at present are not as connected and close? I don't want to say out of touch because that may sound offensive and disrespectful to some people. Just another thought. 

This kind of reminds me of the documentary I watched yesterday: 

Now I'm not comparing basketball to Shiachat lol but similarities can be made. Jerry Reinsdorf=Ali for example. The owner of the site, if they really care, should personally try and make some changes. I say that with all due respect. :)

Moderators please post this or feel free to edit out whatever you deem inappropriate. But please yeah, do post the first paragraph if not the rest. Thank you so much. :) 

I don't know.

I was active here and there 10 years back. In my opinion, I guess there was more 'noise' back then, more members actively free-topic tropicalizing (not a bad thing at all) and in main discussions a little too much personal opinions flying about which I wasn't too fond of (in some cases quite dangerous). I used to follow topics of interest for which some were sadly ruined by short-sightedness and far-fetched interpretations and it was always a handful of members who sometimes came across rude and intolerant. Recently returning back to SC, it feels better refined and in many ways a more representable community of Shias; maybe the defects matured, finally brushed themselves under the carpet or got slapped with a BAN.

Regardless, I appreciate the forums better now! Less noise!

Than again that's just my opinion and a non-negotiable one too :P 

28 minutes ago, saas said:

I don't know.

I was active here and there 10 years back. In my opinion, I guess there was more 'noise' back then, more members actively free-topic tropicalizing (not a bad thing at all) and in main discussions a little too much personal opinions flying about which I wasn't too fond of (in some cases quite dangerous). I used to follow topics of interest for which some were sadly ruined by short-sightedness and far-fetched interpretations and it was always a handful of members who sometimes came across rude and intolerant. Recently returning back to SC, it feels better refined and in many ways a more representable community of Shias; maybe the defects matured, finally brushed themselves under the carpet or got slapped with a BAN.

Regardless, I appreciate the forums better now! Less noise!

Than again that's just my opinion and a non-negotiable one too :P 

Salaam,

I appreciate and respect your opinion even agree with it to an extent. However, what your saying, is like someone saying that when Shias pack the Masjids for Muharram and there's a lot of noise, to close the Masjids down during that time so the quiet ones like you can peacefully listen over the Internet without a large number of people. :) 

Also, I cannot take your comment seriously with all due respect, since your probably not a member but rather a staff member posing as one to give a false impression. :) 

lol staff member

I'm surprised you took offence by dropping the assumption. Since you 'agree with it to an extent', I'm guessing you're a SC part-timer lol. SC you better start paying my salary, I'm officially employed.

Bro 'noise' was symbolic of rudeness, intolerance, throwing weight around, loud idle talking, misrepresenting the know in knowledge and stifling debates which sought little resolve (amongst many). I was hardly attacking SC or the SC members on the whole. Just voicing my experiences from back then. No offence intended to the members. Like now, back then, there were great contributors, many which I highly admired for their efforts and knowledge. I don't even know why I'm justifying myself - probably seeking mercy where its not due.

p.s.I wouldn't close the mosque - I would use my semi-automatic tranquilizing dart gun, hide behind the black sheets with a pierced hole and drop the naughty ones (little ones exempt).

27 minutes ago, saas said:

lol staff member

I'm surprised you took offence by dropping the assumption. Since you 'agree with it to an extent', I'm guessing you're a SC part-timer lol. SC you better start paying my salary, I'm officially employed.

Bro 'noise' was symbolic of rudeness, intolerance, throwing weight around, loud idle talking, misrepresenting the know in knowledge and stifling debates which sought little resolve (amongst many). I was hardly attacking SC or the SC members on the whole. Just voicing my experiences from back then. No offence intended to the members. Like now, back then, there were great contributors, many which I highly admired for their efforts and knowledge. I don't even know why I'm justifying myself - probably seeking mercy where its not due.

p.s.I wouldn't close the mosque - I would use my semi-automatic tranquilizing dart gun, hide behind the black sheets with a pierced hole and drop the naughty ones (little ones exempt).

I was just messing with you Brother. You can call it my sarcasm lol. ;)

Anyways though, well I mean, yeah I experienced that too and I understand where you're coming from completely, but I just feel those stifling debates, all that stuff you mentioned and more, there was something about that, which would excite others to come on here and join in. It was more welcoming I would say. I agree there is still some positive contributors in this forum, and God bless them for their positive contributions. However, we shouldn't create such an atmosphere where this website becomes strictly only about learning the in depth understandings of Shia Islam, and anyone who comes to this site to socialize or just for fun is chased away by that lone segment. There should be more of a neutral feel. The atmosphere could be more festive is what I mean to say. It used to be more festive. 

As someone else said, if you share a joke in the chatroom, or if you post something that is meant as a joke or to just get some laughs, to try and lighten up the mood, it feels like it is frowned upon and you are considered a bad person. I have experienced that. If the atmosphere is so depressing that no humor can be posted, then realistically who will come? 

And I know we are all different and we have different thoughts and beliefs. I understand and respect that. Diversity is very good. However, its not so good when 20 year old youth or teenagers come here and try to generate some laughs and other members older than them or even twice their age start complaining and can't seem to tolerate anything. Then those members end up leaving having been pushed away. 

Lol by the way good one :)