Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ethics

20 Shias Killed in Nigeria and No One Bats an Eye!

Rate this topic

Hello,

This story is a todays's headline on PBS NewsHour.  One of the most widely watched sources of news in the United States.  And, guess what, PBS receives much of it's funding from the US Government.

Watch it yourself,

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/episode/pbs-newshour-full-episode-nov-27-2015/

The story starts at the 7th minute.

All the Best,

David

Edited by David66

2 hours ago, David66 said:
  • Next Page One of the most widely watched sources of news in the United States.  And, guess what, PBS receives much of it's funding from the US Government.

All the Best,

David

Are you sure:

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2010/network-tv-summary-essay/pbs/

net_pbs_rat.gif

Edited by Haji 2003

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum

Inna lil Allah wa inna elahi raj3oun.

Why would Americans pay attention to this while there is an Ohio State vs UM--Ann Arbor game today? 

This happened to Black Nigera.  Not White Paris, France.

My condolences to the Imam of our time, for the martyrdom of our brothers and sisters in Nigeria.  You were martyred because of your love to AhulBayt.  They are now your intercessors on the Day of Judgement.  Peace upon your souls.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

2 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

Where in Colorado?  Aurora? 

Colorado Springs. Too little is known of the shooter right now ( why I put " domestic terrorist" in quotations )except he appears to be white and is supposedly from NC...but one of my Muslim friends has already asked me why he's not automatically branded a " terrorist". He has killed two civilians and one officer and wounded several other people during an attack ...presumably on Planned Parenthood. Or the building it was in.

1 minute ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Colorado Springs. Too little is known of the shooter right now ( why I put " domestic terrorist" in quotations )except he appears to be white and is supposedly from NC...but one of my Muslim friends has already asked me why he's not automatically branded a " terrorist". He has killed two civilians and one officer and wounded several other people during an attack ...presumably on Planned Parenthood. Or the building it was in.

Why am I not surprised that he was from North Carolina, and I am with your friend here, how come he wasn't automatically branded as a terrorist by the government?  Clearly his actions are a textbook example of terrorism.

^ still too little info...but he comes across from reports others have  of him as possibly having some mental issues...which is usually what excuses the lack of " terrorist" statements....except if it is a Muslim with mental issues ....then they would still be a terrorist. Funny how that works.

image.jpg

Edited by LeftCoastMom

Hello,

It was reported on PBS, ABC and Associated Press.  Would there have been more coverage in the US had this occurred in Western Europe or North America?  Yes.  But, the bombing occurred in Nigeria.  This is a topic for discussion as Laayla pointed out. 

The "lack of coverage" in the West has nothing to do with the victims being Shia.  However, I think the attack occurring in Nigeria does effect Western coverage.

All the Best,

David

PS: I think the usage of the word terrorist is an interesting topic.  But, I think it needs it's own thread. 

I think there is an element of " it's in a place very few of us go or can relate to" in the media coverage,too. The "commercial "media is always thinking about its audience. Somebody makes these decisions. However,I agree with David...it was not ignored. I also think there is a lot going on stateside that perhaps some folks overseas aren't aware of, which is why I brought up the shooting that jumped into my face this AM.

The definition of "terrorism" does belong elsewhere ,but today has not been my day for staying on topic...which is why I like to stay on the random thoughts thread when in this mode.