Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Reza

Official ShiaChat A-Z Virtual Travel Thread

Salaam everybody:

The beauty of today's technology is that we can travel anywhere from the comfort of our own screens. We have many new places to explore, on the grand, figurative ShiaChat autobus!

The goal of this travel log is simple, each new post must add a new destination, in alphabetical order.  I will do A, then you do B, then the next person does C, and so on.  When we finish the alphabet, we'll start back at A again! How many times can we circumvent the world?

Please provide the place (bolded is preferred) and provide picture(s) of the destination if you wish. It can be a country, a state, a city, a landmark, a museum, a park, a building, whatever you like, but it has to be a REAL life location (nothing fictional). And only public places please. Also its highly encouraged to post a wikipedia or other link, so we can read more about the place, or provide a brief description.

I'll start with Akita, Japan:

Mount Taihei, Kubota Castle, Akita-Araya Wind Farm, Hitotsumori Park, Akita Skydome, Akita Museum of Art, Akita Akarengakan Museum, Akita City Gymnasium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akita,_Akita

The economy of Akita remains heavily dependent on agriculture (particularly rice cultivation), forestry and mineral extraction. Akita contains one of the most important oil fields in Japan. Oil refining, woodworking, metalworking, and the production of silk textiles are the main industries. Akita is also home to two regional banks that serve Akita prefecture and the greater Tōhoku region: Akita Bank and Hokuto Bank.

Bratislava, Slovakia.

Slovak capital is little known, little travelled, and underacppreciated but it's a quiet lovely place to visit for a weekend city break. Tourists approach it as an optional appendage to their visit to Vienna. Multiple trains leave Vienna to Bratislava every day. Tourists visiting Vienna like to do a day trip to Bratislava which, if I'm not mixing things up, takes less than two hours one way. I decided to stay the night and was amply rewarded.

The views of Danube are beautiful, specially when seen from the Hrad castle on the hill (pic below). There's a nice walking trail around and about the castle that leads down to the town centre where you can enjoy a walk in the thoroughfare, eat at open air places in the summer, pay a visit to decrepit churches, pop into museums and synagogues, and just spend your time people gazing if you're solo. I was travelling solo.

Some pics I took.

041.thumb.JPG.b7f31486be38f7dd3aeac88501

077.thumb.JPG.85253376eae9b44335e8762fe9

182.thumb.JPG.b1d06ff9eadb9b72de5eb6df75

Edited by Marbles

Caracas, Venezuela

Caracas is Venezuela's cultural capital, with many restaurants, theaters, museums, and shopping centers. The city is home to an array of immigrants from but not limited to: Spain, Italy, Portugal, the Middle East, Germany, China, and Latin American countries.[31][32][33][34]

1280px-CaracasAvila.jpg

Este de Caracas.JPG

Fachada Mezquita Ibrahim Al-lbrahim.JPG

The Mosque Ibrahim Ibin Abdul Aziz Al-Ibrahim or Caracas Mosque is a mosque in the El Recreo district of Caracas. it is the second largest mosque in Latin America after the King Fahd Islamic Cultural Center in Buenos Aires. Mirroring modern Venezuela's religious tolerance and its oil realpolitik the construction of the mosque began in 1989 by Sheikh Abdulaziz Bin Ibrahim Al Ibrahim. The mosque designed by architect Zuhair Fayez occupies an area of 5000 m², its minaret is 113 metres high and the dome is 23 metres high. Construction of the mosque was completed in 1993. The mosque can hold around 3500 worshipers. Rising higher between the Catholic Cathedral a few blocks away and the Caracas Synagogue, the minaret is the highest in the Americas.[1]

"It is like a dream come true for us," Hassan Majzoub, president of Venezuela's Islamic Center, said of the four-year project, culminated in March 1993 with the inauguration of the Caracas Islamic Center.

Mr. Majzoub, a shopkeeper who emigrated from Lebanon in 1968, acknowledged that the 100,000 Muslims in Venezuela were easily surpassed in number by Muslims in Argentina, Brazil and the United States.

Edited by magma

Ew, south Korea.

Ekbatan (i.e. Ekbatan Village, a construction project that was originally on the outskirts of Tehran but was then consumed by Tehran)

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiD

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj7

36377632.jpg

13930609150059hh4853532094.jpg

36_big.jpg

Ekbatan is huge. What you see in these pictures are just a small fraction of its entirety. It has its own hospitals, mosques, stores, gyms, everything...

Right next to it is another project, Apadana Village. But that one is uglier and not as big. I like Ekbatan much more.

I always loved these type of construction projects ever since I was a kid.

Edited by baradar_jackson

Wa'alaykum As Salam wb. 

Figuig, Morocco 

"The town is built around an oasis of date palms, called Tazdayt, meaning "palm tree" in the Berber language, surrounded by rugged, mountainous wilderness. Modernization has somewhat raised the standard of living, and drawn much of the town's population away, so that it is now struggling to reach stability. The town has a population of some 13,000." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figuig

9315423.jpg

STP892532.JPG

^ Look at you making reservations! I had something in mind with M about my hometown. I'm sure @habib e najjaar is gonna tell her about her hometown too right? So might we do it M(a) and M(b)?

As for now...

Galle, Srilanka.

....is situated on the southwestern tip, 119 km from Colombo. It is the fifth largest city in Sri Lanka after the capital Colombo, Kandy, Jaffna and Negombo.

Galle was known as Gimhathiththa (although Ibn Batuta in the 14th century refers to it as Qali before the arrival of the Portuguese in the 16th century, when it was the main port on the island. Galle reached the height of its development in the 18th century, during the Dutch colonial period. Galle is the best example of a fortified city built by the Portuguese in South and Southeast Asia, showing the interaction between Portuguese architectural styles and native traditions. The city was extensively fortified by the Dutch during the 17th century from 1649 onwards. The Galle fort is a world heritage site and is the largest remaining fortress in Asia built by European occupiers.

.galle-top.thumb.jpg.d338d9a0b6095b21d935

Galle Mosque and Dutch Lighthouse

galle.jpg.5d12dab8388d6770a04fadcdfefbb2

galle3.jpg.30afb65ef3bd4bc34ce96ac989578

Layout of Galle Fort below.

galle4.jpg.4bf03da60527f9a4c0f18bda2f47c

@Hasan0404 your turn has come.

Edited by Marbles
inserted a pic

23 hours ago, habib e najjaar said:

Nobody touch M. It's taken. (Err if I forget about this topic then OK but I will still post my favorite M cities.)

Which M city do you want to post? Mombasa? Mashhad?

Or no... Meibod?

(salam)

Hingol National Park is located along the Makran coast in southwestern Baluchistan,Pakistan. It lies within sections of Lasbela District, Gwadar District, and Awaran District. The Gulf of Oman is to the south.

Hingol-National-Park%20(6).jpg

HingolNationalParkBaluchistan.jpg?width=

Princess-of-Hope-Hingol-National-Park-Ba

hingol.jpeg

Edited by Hasan0404

16 hours ago, Zaair Guide said:

Tomb of Omer e Khayam

Tomb of Fariduddin Attar

Sir, your descriptions have got mixed up. First one is Attar's; the second belongs to Khayyam.

You have confused the locations too. Both tombs are in Neshapur not Isfahan.

Edited by Marbles
Added a line

Marbels your are right about the images. I got them swaped while pasting. The second part of confusion is quite simple as 

Neyshabur (Persian: نيشابور‎‎, also Romanized as Neyshābūr)[1] is a village in Nakhlestan Rural District, in the Central District of Khur and Biabanak County, Isfahan Province, Iran.

:)  

Jakarta, Indonesia

Jakarta, officially known as the Special Capital Region of Jakarta (Indonesian: Daerah Khusus Ibu Kota Jakarta), is the capital and largest city of Indonesia, (though Jakarta is also a province) and one of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world.

Located on the northwest coast of Java, Jakarta is the country's economic, cultural and political centre, and with a population of 9,761,407 as of December 2012,[7] it is the most populous city in Indonesia and in Southeast Asia.[8] The official metropolitan area, known as Jabodetabek (a name formed by combining the initial syllables of Jakarta, Bogor, Depok, Tangerang and Bekasi), is the second largest in the world, yet the metropolis's suburbs still continue beyond it.

Established in the fourth century, the city became an important trading port for the Kingdom of Sunda. It was the de facto capital of the Dutch East Indies (known as Batavia at that time). Today, the city has continued as the capital of Indonesia since the country's independence was declared in 1945. The city is currently the seat of the ASEAN Secretariat.

Jakarta is listed as a global city in the 2008 Globalization and World Cities Study Group and Network (GaWC) research.[9] Based on survey by Brooking Institute, in 2011 economic growth in Jakarta ranked 17th among the world's 200 largest cities, a jump from its 2007 ranking of 171. Jakarta has grown more rapidly than Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and Bangkok.[10]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Jakarta_Pictures-4.jpg/375px-Jakarta_Pictures-4.jpg

From top, left to right): Jakarta Old Town, Hotel Indonesia Roundabout, Jakarta Skyline, Gelora Bung Karno Stadium, Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, Monumen Nasional, Merdeka Palace, Istiqlal Mosque

Merdeka Square Monas 02.jpg220px-Jakarta-Panorama.jpg

The National Monument (Indonesian: Monumen Nasional, abbreviated Monas) is a 132 m (433 ft) tower in the centre of Merdeka Square, Central Jakarta, symbolizing the fight for Indonesia. It is the national monument of the Republic of Indonesia, built to commemorate the struggle for Indonesian independence.

Edited by magma

Kazan, Russia

"Kazan is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. With a population of 1,143,535, it is the eighth most populous city in Russia. Kazan lies at the confluence of the Volga and Kazanka Rivers in European Russia."

crashlarge.jpg&width=582&height=365&crop

Lima, Peru.

"When fog bundles its colonial facades and high rises, Lima's enchantments come across as all too subtle. After Cairo, this sprawling metropolis is the second-driest world capital, rising above a long coastline of crumbling cliffs. To enjoy it, climb on the wave of chaos that spans from high-rise condos built alongside pre-Columbian temples, and fast Pacific breakers rolling toward noisy traffic snarls. Think one part southern Cali doused with a heavy dose of America Latina.

But Lima is also sophisticated, with civilization that dates back millennia. Stately museums display sublime pottery; galleries debut edgy art; solemn religious processions recall the 18th century and crowded nightclubs dispense tropical beats. No visitor can miss the capital’s culinary genius, part of a gastronomic revolution more than 400 years in the making.

This is Lima. Shrouded in history, gloriously messy and full of aesthetic delights. Don’t even think of missing it. "

Top things to do in Lima.

lima1.png.b5f7e2dd720923d0888b35f0fbe9f9