Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Getting Into Shape

Rate this topic

notme

• Moderators

Massive Online Open Course. It's free online classes offered by real universities in a format for public use by anyone with access to the internet. I've been studying astronomy, paleontology, and business, mostly.

• Moderators

While watching videos for my online class, I did crunches, leg raises, and some girl pushups, then ran in place for 10 minutes.

Also, I played a game that involved jumping a lot. We have a floor covered by colored squares. My daughter called out a color and I had to either hop to that color or swing her to that color square, and we went really fast because it was fun that way. I guess chasing kids does count as cardio sometimes.

While watching videos for my online class, I did crunches, leg raises, and some girl pushups, then ran in place for 10 minutes.

Also, I played a game that involved jumping a lot. We have a floor covered by colored squares. My daughter called out a color and I had to either hop to that color or swing her to that color square, and we went really fast because it was fun that way. I guess chasing kids does count as cardio sometimes.

watch out for those leg raises, it can be bad for your back.

• Moderators

My doubts about the accuracy of my scale are pretty much confirmed, unless I've lost 8 lbs since the day before yesterday.

So no point in worrying about weight if I can't measure it. Right?

My doubts about the accuracy of my scale are pretty much confirmed, unless I've lost 8 lbs since the day before yesterday.

So no point in worrying about weight if I can't measure it. Right?

weight isn't a great indicator of fat loss - only callipers or an immersion tank measure fat loss - but its one of those things that's better than nothing. its more psychological than anything else. If you dont want to measure weight loss then maybe just keep going until you can look in the mirror and feel like you have reached your ideal weight

• Veteran Member

∆Swimming probably isn't going to be as hard for you as you're imagining. My dad never learnt to swim, but when I was 6 I tried to teach him in the sea on a holiday. I managed to get him to float on his back, but he didn't continue to practice so never actually swam. I think it's mainly a confidence thing. Once you've learnt to float you'll be swimming in no time.

• Moderators

BMI is a terrible indicator of over/underweight status.  This article proposes using waist to hip ratio:

(Warning, article includes photo of torso.  Do not open if you don't want to see.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/19/this-simple-measure-of-health-may-be-more-important-than-your-weight/

Basically, it says measure your waist and the widest part of your hips.  If your waist is as big as or bigger than your hips, whether you are male or female, you are at increased health risk.  

• Veteran Member
On 23/11/2015, 17:07:23, notme said:

BMI is a terrible indicator of over/underweight status.  This article proposes using waist to hip ratio:

(Warning, article includes photo of torso.  Do not open if you don't want to see.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/11/19/this-simple-measure-of-health-may-be-more-important-than-your-weight/

Basically, it says measure your waist and the widest part of your hips.  If your waist is as big as or bigger than your hips, whether you are male or female, you are at increased health risk.  

This is good news for me thanks. I just checked and according to this http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/waist-to-hip-ratio-chart.php 

im 0.77 which is ok i think. I havent dared weigh myself in 2 weeks though. Ive started walking more briskly and cut down a bit on diary.

• Moderators

I'd rather get old while healthy than get old and unhealthy and be a burden on my family. I have to make it to at least 60 - that's how old I'll be when my youngest graduates high school. It would be nice to be able to see a bit of his adult life too.

• Forum Administrators

"BMI – A useless tool that doctors use to convince people they are obese, regardless of how much muscle mass they have." 

I like this one, which you can toggle between imperial and metric: http://iifym.com/bmi-calculator/

• Advanced Member

Have you tried Cardio? Jump rope is a good option. But you need to mix it up. Cardio with core muscles strengthening is a great way to go. Also exercise without diet change is of no use. So you need to change your entire diet plan. 

For motivation I follow a few people on Instagram. I really get in to the zone by looking at the results they have achieved by changing their lifestyle. 

I am also trying to loose weight, slowly getting there. INSHALLAH soon. 

• Moderators

I am not very good at jump rope. I think it's only good cardio if a person is able to continue for more than a few seconds at a time.

I was excited about getting into shape, but now I've lost my steam. It seems so difficult with the little ones. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, notme said:

I am not very good at jump rope. I think it's only good cardio if a person is able to continue for more than a few seconds at a time.

I was excited about getting into shape, but now I've lost my steam. It seems so difficult with the little ones. 

You should try "cafemom studios" videos on youtube. They are very good. They include cardio, core strengthening, workout with weights, yoga etc. It is just a 30 minute routine (one video). 

I know it is difficult but dont give up yet. Set a target. It is healthy to loose 1-2 pounds a week. So go for it.

Want to do it together? :brucelee:

• Moderators

I can't set aside 30 continuous minutes. Two of my children think they still have their umbilical cords.

My weight is a little high right now, but I'm more concerned with strength and endurance. I noticed I'm not as strong as I used to be and sometimes feel tired after normal activities. I can't chase children like I used to - I have to send the older ones to catch the younger ones. But in fairness, within the past year I had a baby and two surgeries. I just don't want to start falling apart yet - my family still needs me.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, notme said:

I can't set aside 30 continuous minutes. Two of my children think they still have their umbilical cords.

My weight is a little high right now, but I'm more concerned with strength and endurance. I noticed I'm not as strong as I used to be and sometimes feel tired after normal activities. I can't chase children like I used to - I have to send the older ones to catch the younger ones. But in fairness, within the past year I had a baby and two surgeries. I just don't want to start falling apart yet - my family still needs me.

Then start with 10 minutes. There are a million videos out there. Start your search now.

*opens new tab and searches for 10 minutes cardio videos* :clap:

• Advanced Member
On 11/17/2015, 11:01:41, notme said:

Salam alaikum folks

So if I'm going to apply to be an astronaut, (http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235033520-things-holding-you-back/page-2#entry2856410) my son pointed out to me that I should probably be physically fit. Unless chasing children counts, I haven't excerised on purpose in probably more than 15 years.

Would anyone like to join me in talking about what exercises we are doing and keeping each other motivated? Also, if anyone has any expertise and can recommend a regimen suitable for a mom whose children always tag along, that would be appreciated.

I don't even know where to start. I used to ride a bike but never got a new one after mine was stolen. I used to practice kung fu, but haven't done it in a long time and classes are expensive. I hate to run and am bored by weight training.

Salam! I lost 14 kgs cause of cardio only, at first I didn't change the way i eat and the type of food i eat. Cardio is so essential for one's health, it made me stop smoking for example i used to smoke one pack and a half per day. So i'm going to tell you about my experience a bit; I lost those kilos without doing any weight lifting or any muscle effort, i just ran on a low Pace, because when you want to lose fat you should run on a low pace and if you want to build endurance and muscles you should run on a high pace. this depends on your height of course, im 162 for example and i dont over pass 6.5 when i want to burn fat. we all agree that the fat burning zone is 40-50% HBR. couple of months ahead when you improve google something called fartlek workout its so beneficial for your body and metabolism! but dont go hard on yourself cause of it. so right now i hit the last phase where i want to lose fat Only, The hardest thing in one's body is to know how to lose fat, get low on scale and Maintain your muscles. Of course i gained my experience not only cause of my weight loss but because i ve been followed by a professional coach who is exceptionally talented. Lastly on the last phase of your workout you'll hit a point where you should gain some muscle mass and eat healthy food, especially you should load carbs before 2-3 hours of your training.
If you have any question you want to ask please dont hesitate:)