Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
starlight

Things Holding You Back.......

Rate this topic

Bismehe Ta3ala

Assalam Alikum.

My dh wants to go for arb3een. I want to visit my Imams in 3raq, but I have young children. Death surrounds me in Beriut. I want to go and stay with my Imams and be in there presence before I return to my Lord. I miss Rasoul Allah too and my Imams at Baqee3. Insh'Allah I'm given the tawfeeq to do ziyrat at Imam Ali Reza and his sister Sayyida M3suma. Just your du3s to make this happen.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

1. I sometimes wished I completed my Ph.D. You only get one chance in life and when it's gone, it's gone.

Agree with the others, you can still do it.

That's the spirit.

Even in this old age I've almost decided on a MA in English literature. Given complete freedom, I'd have studied history, literature and politics, or any combo of the these. But like every desi guy who is supposed to earn a marketable degree to impress ghosts and prospective inlaws, I ended up with finance and accounting. But I'm not complaining. I enjoyed what I studied at uni.

Gypsy and Marbles, go for it !!! I know someone who did her postgrad and later PhD after being a Mother for 20 years. My current Professor is 68 years old , a neurophysiologist with a MD and Phd and has just decided to do MA in Urdu literature.

3. Spending too much time on ShiaChat.

:unsure: Edited by starlight

My mother finished her PhD when she was 50, worked as a professor, and recently retired but her university won't let her go. They hired three people to replace her and still beg her to come back each semester, and each semester she complains but does it anyway.

I want to visit my Imams in 3raq, but I have young children. Death surrounds me in Beriut. I want to go and stay with my Imams and be in there presence before I return to my Lord.

Your children need you more now. Inshallah when they are older you can visit your beloved, and if not in this life in the next inshallah.

My current Professor is a 68 years old , a neurophysiologist with a MD and Phd and has has decided to do MA in Urdu literature. 

Wow, this is inspiring. He proves that age is not a barrier to learning when you have a passion for it!

NASA is taking applications for astronauts and I meet the minimum qualifications. I'd almost definitely not get the job, I don't want to relocate my family to wherever they do training, and I most certainly do not want to go into space for a long period of time while my children are still little. Should I apply anyway?

NASA is taking applications for astronauts and I meet the minimum qualifications. I'd almost definitely not get the job, I don't want to relocate my family to wherever they do training, and I most certainly do not want to go into space for a long period of time while my children are still little. Should I apply anyway?

Cool. Give it a shot. Try. See how far you go.

OK, ask yourself this question:

Your cockpit is on fire and your flight suit is catching fire. Can you still remain calm and function effectively while multi-tasking and vocally reporting?

You see why they like test pilots.

But not all astronauts now are test pilots. So maybe you should.?

My superpower is handling disasters like a pro.  I may seem like a turtle most of the time, but when things are flying, falling, or crashing and someone is about to get hurt, I move like lightning.  I've been known to leap 20' across a room to catch heavy objects that were falling on a child before anyone else in the room even knew what was happening.  When it's an emergency, my brain speed changes.  Once I was in the middle of a car wreck on the interstate.  I could see everything happening in slow motion in my rear view mirror before I got hit, and because of that I had time to steer off the road and barely hit the car in front of me.  The two cars behind mine were completely smashed and the drivers ended up hospitalized, one in a coma.  My front right corner hit the rear left corner of the car that I was pushed into, and my back end was completely demolished.

The main issue is that IF I were selected, I'd have to say no because I wouldn't want to leave my family.  Should I apply anyway just to find out if they would choose me?

Wow. Quick response time during a disaster really helps. Some people just freeze, totally paralyzed, unable to think when something strikes all of a sudden. You're the opposite! Make sure you include your Final Destination-like road scenario in your personal statement.

Life in general has held me back from achieving a lot. I couldn't get a Master's degree nor go through the CSS examination. What kept holding me back was family commitments - I started working as a receptionist at 16 and continued to study privately. I did join college, but actually taking classes was a no-no because I had a job to keep up with (those in Pakistan would know how not going to college after taken admissions and actually getting a degree without it works). I always wanted to study Mass Communication but no, I had a job to keep and the course wasn't offered in private by the university. I continued to work, got hired as a creative writer at 18. I kept progressing in the same field because I didn't have other options - my scope was limited as I graduated in political science and int. relations - not many options without a CSS exam.

With time, I was hired as editor by a multinational firm and was later promoted to head of the creative writing dept. - and then I got married. things just went downwards and I'm now just a freelance creative writer. it stinks. i have so much potential and it's just rotting away. life continues to hold me back.   

Life in general has held me back from achieving a lot. I couldn't get a Master's degree nor go through the CSS examination. What kept holding me back was family commitments - I started working as a receptionist at 16 and continued to study privately. I did join college, but actually taking classes was a no-no because I had a job to keep up with (those in Pakistan would know how not going to college after taken admissions and actually getting a degree without it works). I always wanted to study Mass Communication but no, I had a job to keep and the course wasn't offered in private by the university. I continued to work, got hired as a creative writer at 18. I kept progressing in the same field because I didn't have other options - my scope was limited as I graduated in political science and int. relations - not many options without a CSS exam.

With time, I was hired as editor by a multinational firm and was later promoted to head of the creative writing dept. - and then I got married. things just went downwards and I'm now just a freelance creative writer. it stinks. i have so much potential and it's just rotting away. life continues to hold me back.   

In other words ... a normal life.?

With time, I was hired as editor by a multinational firm and was later promoted to head of the creative writing dept. and I'm now just a freelance creative writer.

Now I know why you can write in English gooder than me. And I think you could do great things with your freelancing. Get the MA when the kids are older. :-)

Now I know why you can write in English gooder than me. And I think you could do great things with your freelancing. Get the MA when the kids are older. :-)

My ex's mother got her's when her kids were done with their studies and had entered the job market so yeah I have hope :)

If/when you get selected, rest assured, your kids will be the first one to hope you go to space.

Imagine the cool overload: "Yeah, my mom's an astronaut!"

If/when you get selected, rest assured, your kids will be the first one to hope you go to space.

Imagine the cool overload: "Yeah, my mom's an astronaut!"

Yeah but one is an infant and one is 4 years old. I'm sure the two teenagers would think it's cool but the little ones need a mama not a cool astronaut mom.

Salam, 

Salam,

Life often turns out to be very different than we thought it would be. Few of us grow up to live the life we dreamed of. 

My life was never different than what I actually wanted, I was just misinformed of how to arrive at the point I wanted.

1. Is there something you really want/wanted to do in life?

When I was younger I read the verse,  humans and jinns were not created but to Worship, Allah,

I knew this was the purpose in my life, but didn't exactly understood what exactly the act of our worship meant.

Until I met my teacher, who explained to me what it actually meant.

Which is to know Allah thru acts of worship.

As Allah has set an Example of the prophet for us in the Quran.

So anything less would be betraying myself and my true potential .

Now thats all what I want to do in life.

As the knowledge of the world will be useless for the here after,

specially the kind of studies, which does not benefit human kind.

2. How successful have you been in doing it? How did you do it?  What were some challenges, difficulties and hardships you came across?

Allah knows.In the process.Trying to practice what I was taught . To constantly control my thoughts and try up to my capacity to Remember Allah at all times : 

"I sat at the gate of my mind and let no one except Allah in " - Imam Ali

Thank you,

Thank you, and Your welcome

Edited by tendersoul

I concluded that there are simply too many dooshbags in that field and I could not work in an office environment where only a few stallions do all the work while others discuss politics, religions and cricket all the time like wiseguys,

Replace cricket with footie and you have just described my dream job.

Re: Things holding me back?

Myself. Period.