Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
knowledgeseeker

I Am Lost

Rate this topic

Bismillah

Salaam Alaykum, 

I feel lost in life. I want to do many things, however I am not passionate enough about them to actually get up and start working.

For instance, I want to gain islamic knowledge and I am awed by the people of knowledge - however, when it comes to actually reading, i procrastinate.

I don't know what to do - i have zero motivation and i procastinate a lot.

any ideas how to get out of this cycle? 

JazakAllah

Where is that Shia Labeouf video? XD

It may be just a phase brother but if procrastination becomes a big issue for you, start forcing yourself into different activities to learn to commit to them (such as sports). I know one thing doesn't have much to do with the other, but it seriously helps as it will change your character and attitude. Same goes with work.

Doing things, whatever except for procrastinating, help us value time more, and that may be a good source of motivation for you to make good use of your time when you actually have it.

One saying of Imam Ali in particular comes to mind (one that really motivates me), where Ameerul Momineen says that (paraphrasing);

"Knowledge is attained not but through hardship".

It is a beautiful and a powerful saying of Imam Ali and I hope some other member can post the actual saying.

Edited by abbas110

Bismillah

Salaam Alaykum, 

I feel lost in life. I want to do many things, however I am not passionate enough about them to actually get up and start working.

For instance, I want to gain islamic knowledge and I am awed by the people of knowledge - however, when it comes to actually reading, i procrastinate.

I don't know what to do - i have zero motivation and i procastinate a lot.

any ideas how to get out of this cycle? 

JazakAllah

Salams

Laziness is an acquired habit and it corrupts the heart. The more you procrastinate, the more this disease will take hold of you. 

My suggestion is to start with really small things to kick off the habit, say, read one page a day and you'll realize it's not so bad. Do one small task a day, and when you're up for it, do another small one. Eventually you will want to do bigger things. 

Slowly you begin enjoying getting things done as for one, it helps fight off depression --> yes, laziness  often begets nasty kinds of depression. 

Lack of consistency creates a lack of interest, and a lack of interest creates a lack of consistency.

Apply force in both directions, and keep at it. In other words, develop discipline.

I feel that disciplining ones' self towards goals and working towards hopes can ameliorate a lack of passion and boredom in life.