Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sumerian

Experiences In The Wild

Rate this topic

No.

Well, gee, I was under the impression that you were a true Iraqi and that you were the toughest and best there was. I guess I was wrong, you just talk big and exaggerate things and quite frankly, I don't understand why you think the wilderness is an exclusive men's club. It's not, its where people live hard and survive in a primal and harsh way. Well, if I have a daughter and you ask for her hand in marriage,I won't say yes or no. I'll just buy some dogs and see if you think she is worth your fear of dogs.

You have a lot to learn child.

:p

Indeed, he does.

Murtadha you've been getting #rekt lately...

Yup, I know right?

I'm sorry for those who miss the verve and brio and vim and vigour of youth. Those years are so full of promise, derring-do, élan, boldness, self-belief, overconfidence. And of course none of this possible without a good deal of stupidity, sometimes sheer folly. You are different when you're past that stage. That's why I would never do the things at 30 that I did when I was 18-21, some of which are...

1. I was 18. Taliban ruled in Afghanistan. Three of my cousins and I travelled from Quetta to the Pak-Afghan border. We decided to stay the night in Chaman (border town on Pak side) and go across the border to Vesh where you could buy all sorts of smuggled goods for throwaway prices. Locals on both sides were allowed to move across the border without documentation. Since all are Pashtuns and speak the same language, you can't tell who is a citizenship of which country. But they didn't allow anyone from outside the region to cross the border.  My cousins were Pashtuns but the problem was that I wasn't, so there was a strong chance that I, being a darkie from the plains, would be spotted and turned back. To get round this we sought the support of a distant relation who served in the army. He agreed to help us, reluctantly,and only on the condition that we'd go no further than Vesh. We agreed. After waiting for wo days we're welcomed on a semi-official minibus that was going across the border. The driver knew we had army reference with us, so he treated us like princelings. He told us he was going to Kandahar (which isn't very far) and offered to take us all the way there and back. A cousin of mine and I were thrilled and wanted to go. To see the Talib fairy land with our own eyes. The others did not. But we ended up taking a detour through the wild, rugged terrain but did not quite enter the city because it might have turned out to be too dangerous. We dined and rested at a dingy caravanserai on a side road before heading back. We spent to the tune of 48 hours in the Afghan wilderness. It was as though the bus was a time machine and I was back into a cross section of 10th century CE. It was so surreal. Only on our return did we realise the stupid thing we'd done. What if we had been caught and held there?  Btw, in Vesh I bought a Hi Fi system, a camera and some other tidbits.

PS: This misadventure was inspired in part by our common uncle's stupidity who had travelled through Khyber pass to Afghanistan in the early '70s on his motorbike, in winter time. He came back with almost frost bite conditions. But he was soon all right.

2. I have never been a hunter but I have accompanied them on overnight trips to the Cholistan desert where the famous Cholistan Jeep Rally is held. Once we forayed deep into the desert to hunt deer, so deep that an army vehicle visited us out of nowhere when we're camped and secured for the night. They told us we were too close to the border and should head back at least 10 KM inside. We told them we've taken permission from the last army checkpost to come this far. They said they knew but the major sahib has changed his mind. Darn. On our way back a friend said for a moment he thought we'd strayed into Indian territory and Indian soldiers had come to get us. That would mean life sentence in an Indian prison (The border is barbed-wired and lighted today. I don't know if that the case at that time).

3. Enough of the border stories. Here's a fun thing I remember from a decade ago. A friend and I used to dress up our best and walk into any wedding reception that we could find. Full of easy confidence of youth, smiles on our faces, we would go straight to the stage and congratulate the groom warmly. He would welcome and be thankful but would never find out who these well-wishers were. We did it to win a silly bet that we would eat wedding dinners everyday for the whole week. To prove we had to take pictures and show it to the rival party. We won! (This doesn't fit the criteria of the question, I just realised, but since I have typed it out I'll let it stay).

4. Speaking of adventures in natural settings, in one my cliffhanger hikes in the northern wild, I slipped and landed face down in the lake strewn with stones. It could have potentially killed me but thank God I only strained my arm besides getting bruises all over. I haven't bothered with tough hiking since then. 

Hmmm..what else...

WOW! I WANT A LIFE LIKE THAT!

Salam,

Camping : me & my cousin packed a tent, a bag of bread and tuna boxes and left on early afternoon under the hot sun of the Levant. We spent the day walking and swimming and as the night fell, we met some other cousins, also camping at the spot were we planted our tent, where they began to light up narguileh (and maybe other stuff after all even though I can't recall) to enjoy the night in the wild. I

Suddenly I heard some of the guys shout "hey, [my name] and someone for you. The zip of the tent opened.

It was my father and an uncle of mine worried because I hadn't come home at dusk and ordering me to go back to town with them.That day I knew what shame was.

I was 13 btw.

Edited by realizm

One time, there was a bear in the backyard with a baby in its mouth, so I rushed, with my abaya on, and took a huge rolling pin, and smacked the bear right out of that bear, the baby went into the air...with my open hand, I caught the baby, and jump kicked the bear in the face. It ran away

WOW! I WANT A LIFE LIKE THAT!

I just condensed at least 5-7 years worth of stuff in three paras man. Apart from that rash Talib thing I suppose most of us have such stories to tell no. Plus the embarrassing/shameful things that most ppl do in their youtful times...

One time, there was a bear in the backyard with a baby in its mouth, so I rushed, with my abaya on, and took a huge rolling pin, and smacked the bear right out of that bear, the baby went into the air...with my open hand, I caught the baby, and jump kicked the bear in the face. It ran away

Would you call yourself heroic?

okay here goes: about 20 km from our home, 11 pm at night, i decided me and my cousin going home tonight. there was no chance of finding a ride at that time of the night.

with no flashlight, we set foot. anyway, long story short, my cousin decided he gon backbite about this gangster who lived in that area. he told me all about how many people he killed and how he fled the country and went on to become a millionaire somewhere in the middle east.

after a short while this really fancy cruiser showed up. he stopped for us but turns out his house was right where he had pulled over. he was so kind, he went out of his way to drop us home which was like a good 18 km. 18 km may seem short in the city but 18 km in the mountains is like 80 km in the city.

lol after dropping us off, i found out he was actually the son of that gangster my cousin was talking about. subhaanAllah God works in mysterious ways. whatever the moral, we always have a good laugh whenever we talk about this night. thanks for reading.

Edited by Purged

Wow, that sounds terrifying.

I'd hate having my wudhu broken because of an animal touching me.

Not much of a story here, but here goes.

I and two of my good friends were bored, so we decided to skip class (college) and explore an abandoned construction site. From what I saw, there seemed to be oil drilling equipment, and an artificially created lake with dirt/hardened sand cliffs surrounding it. with pipes and other things sticking out every few meters. A steep but somewhat short hill which I figure to be maybe a 9-10 foot high hill with a footpath on top was immediately opposite to a cliff. The area is roughly circular, so we decided to walk around and towards the aforementioned hill. Turns out this place is a popular hang out place for various students from high schools nearby.  Not really in the wilderness, but close to some woods and about a 4-5 minute walk away from a main road.

Anyway, as we're walking around and surveying the area (while taking pictures for the 'Gram) we get on the previously mentioned hill. We decide to take the hill to get back to the car. As I get on the hill, I start to experience fear due to the height I'm at. I nervously navigate the rough footpath until halfway through. Foolishly, I decide that the hill doesn't look so tough and try to run down.  I failed to run down; instead my legs failed to keep up with the momentum of the upper half of my body and I did a nosedive down and land straight on the side of my forehead, as well as my glasses. I felt very sleepy for a little bit, but I shook it off once I thought of the humiliation I'd go through if my friends noticed. I proceed to wipe the dirt off of my pants.

While falling, I knew about half a second in that this is not going to end well and take my phone out and death-grip it. My glasses miraculously did not break, either. Aside from a tiny scuff and scratch and sand in my phone, nothing was bad. Alhamdullilah.

The dust cloud I created was like those you see in Dragon Ball Z after someone gets punched into the ground; my silhouette slowly faded into view while I lifted my head out of a crater shaped like my cranium. (I joke here.)

Unfortunately my friends saw the entire thing, fall and brief moment of dust nap. They pretended I died and made a Fast and Furious-esque tribute to me on snapchat, lol.

Afterwards, we go to a KFC, eat, then we go to a walgreens and I disinfected my wounds and washed my face, and then we decide that this earns a day off of math class.

My first adventure scar is on my head. It makes me feel as if I grazed a spear while in mortal combat, lol.

edit, wow, my 555th post.

Edited by blu115

Humans are animals too, just look at the barbaric destruction and suffering caused by ISIS.

I don't believe in Darwin's Theory that humans are animals.

I'm not even getting into this conversation

but hey, may Allah bless those poor animals from the hands of us high and mighty humans

Allah allows us to slaughter animals for food.

Ever heard of animal abuse at the hands of humans - even animals that are meant for consumption are put through a life of horror by us humans. Google it - we don't live in a perfect world my child and with time you will learn that at times animals have way more compassion and loyalty than our idiotic lot

"My child"??? What the heck?

Animal abuse is sad but animals are stupid. It's true... they're not as intelligent as us.

I respect your sentiments, but the reason why I started this thread is because of the great experiences in the wild and animals play a huge part in it, if animals were as smart as us these experiences wouldn't happen.

"My child"??? What the heck?

Animal abuse is sad but animals are stupid. It's true... they're not as intelligent as us.

I respect your sentiments, but the reason why I started this thread is because of the great experiences in the wild and animals play a huge part in it, if animals were as smart as us these experiences wouldn't happen.

I would like to see how smart you are versus a group of wolves xD. Each creature has its characteristics and is guided by God. There is no idiocy in animals, but guidance. And that is one proof to the existence of God.

I just condensed at least 5-7 years worth of stuff in three paras man. Apart from that rash Talib thing I suppose most of us have such stories to tell no. Plus the embarrassing/shameful things that most ppl do in their youtful times...

Would you call yourself heroic?

nope sadly no such adventures in the wild :(

I'd hate having my wudhu broken because of an animal touching me.

Not much of a story here, but here goes.

I and two of my good friends were bored, so we decided to skip class (college) and explore an abandoned construction site. From what I saw, there seemed to be oil drilling equipment, and an artificially created lake with dirt/hardened sand cliffs surrounding it. with pipes and other things sticking out every few meters. A steep but somewhat short hill which I figure to be maybe a 9-10 foot high hill with a footpath on top was immediately opposite to a cliff. The area is roughly circular, so we decided to walk around and towards the aforementioned hill. Turns out this place is a popular hang out place for various students from high schools nearby.  Not really in the wilderness, but close to some woods and about a 4-5 minute walk away from a main road.

Anyway, as we're walking around and surveying the area (while taking pictures for the 'Gram) we get on the previously mentioned hill. We decide to take the hill to get back to the car. As I get on the hill, I start to experience fear due to the height I'm at. I nervously navigate the rough footpath until halfway through. Foolishly, I decide that the hill doesn't look so tough and try to run down.  I failed to run down; instead my legs failed to keep up with the momentum of the upper half of my body and I did a nosedive down and land straight on the side of my forehead, as well as my glasses. I felt very sleepy for a little bit, but I shook it off once I thought of the humiliation I'd go through if my friends noticed. I proceed to wipe the dirt off of my pants.

While falling, I knew about half a second in that this is not going to end well and take my phone out and death-grip it. My glasses miraculously did not break, either. Aside from a tiny scuff and scratch and sand in my phone, nothing was bad. Alhamdullilah.

The dust cloud I created was like those you see in Dragon Ball Z after someone gets punched into the ground; my silhouette slowly faded into view while I lifted my head out of a crater shaped like my cranium. (I joke here.)

Unfortunately my friends saw the entire thing, fall and brief moment of dust nap. They pretended I died and made a Fast and Furious-esque tribute to me on snapchat, lol.

Afterwards, we go to a KFC, eat, then we go to a walgreens and I disinfected my wounds and washed my face, and then we decide that this earns a day off of math class.

My first adventure scar is on my head. It makes me feel as if I grazed a spear while in mortal combat, lol.

edit, wow, my 555th post.

I have a fear of falling which is why I'm overly cautious sometimes.

This story reminded me of my friend. We had gone cycling a few months back on this forest trail. None of us are expert cyclists but we know enough to get around. So we reached this steep slope and were debating whether to continue cycling or get off and walk down when this kid of around 12-13 years of age went passed us and confidently rode off down the slope. We both looked at each other and were like shame on us for being such chickens.

She decided to go down first and I was to follow after as it was a narrow trail. So she goes down and the first few seconds she was okay speeding down when the bicycle hit a root and she lost control so she was smart enough to jump out as the bicycle crashed onto a tree. She literally flew out was a miracle nothing happened to her. For a split second we were in shock, then we laughed for a good 10 minutes, it was so hilarious the way she flew out and her expression on her face.

After that we decided not to risk on steep slopes and would walk down with the bicycle.

3. Enough of the border stories. Here's a fun thing I remember from a decade ago. A friend and I used to dress up our best and walk into any wedding reception that we could find. Full of easy confidence of youth, smiles on our faces, we would go straight to the stage and congratulate the groom warmly. 

Hmmm..what else...

You must have stood out, young males who actually seemed to want to be at a wedding.

You must have stood out, young males who actually seemed to want to be at a wedding.

Lol, young men very much want to be at weddings ;) at least that's how it is these days... You should see them, they are more excited about 'mehndi' function than girls.

they're there for the food

oh and the dance

let's not forget the bhangra!

this reminds me - i have a wedding coming up in my in-laws at the end of November. apparently, more of the boys are interested in 'preparations' than girls. what preparations? deciding what food has to be served, and the rubbish songs that need to be played.  i swear i fear for our younger  generations the way things are moving...

Edited by apofomysback

they're there for the food

oh and the dance

let's not forget the bhangra!

this reminds me - i have a wedding coming up in my in-laws at the end of November. apparently, more of the boys are interested in 'preparations' than girls. what preparations? deciding what food has to be served, and the rubbish songs that need to be played.  i swear i fear for our younger  generations the way things are moving...

You should describe what weddings are like there... Maybe in another thread? ( Movies aren't usually accurate.) and why you think things are " rubbish".

To tie this into the topic....weddings can be " experiences in the wild". There are cougars and wolves...and quite a few turkeys as well.