Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
celestial

Ink Question

Rate this topic

Salam,

I have a question regarding inks. Are inks considered najis? For example, the printer inks are toxic.

Are those najis?

Can i use Quranic chapters which i've printed with those inks? Or should i not?

Help is much appreciated.

toxicity =/= impurity

but some ink is barrier, so you need to clean up your hands well before wudhu providing that some ink was on them.

Najasah means the thing which is unclean in itself, and makes other things unclean by contact. There are ten (10) Najasah:

1 and 2. Urine and stool of those living things whose meat is forbidden (haram), and whose blood comes out with a gush, other than birds. For example the urine of sheep is not najis, because its meat is not haraam though its blood comes out with a gush. Likewise, the stool of snake is not najis because its blood does not come out with a gush, though its meat is haraam

Note: Urine and stool of those animals are najis which eat refuse of the human beings or have drunk milk of pig. 

3 and 4. Blood and semen of those living things whose blood comes out with a gush, whether they be halal or haraam. So all these things of human beings are najis, and also those of cow are najis

5. Dead body of those living things whose blood comes out with a gush. But there are some details: Those parts which have no life in them during life-time, like hair, nail, bone, teeth etc. are not najis. The corpse of a Muslim is najis after being cold and before being washed. Before being cold it is tahir; after being washed it is tahir. The limbs which are cut from a living body (as in operation) are treated as corpse. (Ivory is taken out from dead elephant; still it is not najis, because it is a part which has no life in the life-time of the elephant (You may think of other examples yourself).
6. The dog.
7. The pig.
8. Kafir.
9. Liquor (liquid intoxicant).
10. Fuqqa (mild beer).

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

Thanks for the reply,

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2138/

139. Writing the holy Qur'an with najis ink, even one letter of it, amounts to making it najis. And if written, it should be erased or washed off.

So what could be those najis inks, which Sistani mentions?

Edited by celestial

I am not sure but possibly an ink that was produced from Najes source? Or mixed with Najes material like alcohol or blood.

There is industrial alcohol in printer inks i guess. But that must be pak according to Sistani if i'm not wrong.

Thanks for the reply,

Salaam,

It seems to be all talking about the haram act of making the script and pages of the holy Qur'an najis.

It doesn't necessary say that some inks are inherently najis, it says if it is najis, then don't use it to write the holy Qur'an.

The ink could become najis in so many different ways (e.g., with a drop of blood or alcohol or ...).

It says that if the ink is najis you cannot use it to write even one word of the holy Qur'an.

Thanks for the reply,

I am not sure but possibly an ink that was produced from Najes source? Or mixed with Najes material like alcohol or blood.

Alcohol is pure according to Sayed Sistani. By the way he could mean the ink which is mixed with whatever najis material. Imagin that  drops of blood are in it.

I have a response from Sayed Sistani's office.

No, it is not considered to be najis (impure) and that you can use the ayats.

So if anyone is interested, it seems it's ok to use your printer to write ayats.