Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
roya1b100d

Do Muslims See Themselves As Sunni Or Shia?

Rate this topic

From my understanding most Muslims say their just Muslims. No mention or thought about "I am Shia Muslim" or "I am a Sunni Muslim" is this true?

Well my brother, it may look like irrelevant. But we also read Bible to find the hidden truths. Because we believe religion of God is one.

So may I ask you something since you consider yourself an eastern orthodox. The double edged sword mentioned in Bible is referring to who. I mean did anyone have the double edged sword according to Christianity ? Did Jesus PBUH have any sword ?

Most of the people usually say that they are "JUST MUSLIMS" and think that calling themselves sunni or shia is "kufr" ( unbelief or disobedience) because sects are strictly prohibited in ISLAM/Quran.

"Indeed, those who have divided their religion and become sects - you, [O Muhammad], are not [associated] with them in anything. Their affair is only

to Allah ; then He will inform them about what they used to do" (Quran 6:159)

We Muslims,have divided ourselves into sects on the basis of our contrasting beliefs and differences,so now we introduce ourselves as a Shia Muslim or a sunni muslim to be more particular.

Salaam alaikum,

I can only speak for myself, but my position on it has been that anyone who believes in the Prophethood of Muhammad (pbuh) , the finality of revelation with the Qur'an, and that God alone deserves worship without associating partners with Him is a Muslim.  I see the rest as secondary.  My religion is Islam, therefore I am a Muslim.  Being a Shi'a who believes in the 12 Imams succeeding the Prophet, you could say I follow the Ja'fari Madhab, but that's a school of thought within the religion of Islam.

WS

R

From my understanding most Muslims say their just Muslims. No mention or thought about "I am Shia Muslim" or "I am a Sunni Muslim" is this true?

The term "Muslim" means submission, and Quran has put that one to one with following his chosen ones and supporting them. 

Sunni believe they support all Chosen ones, because they believe Mohammad is the last chosen leader, while Shias believe 12 Successors were also chosen leaders.

The rope of God is always to stick the revelation and those it appoints. 

Now in one sense of a word, anyone who accepts Mohammad as a Messenger is treated as a "Muslim" in Shariah, but the true submission is to believe in whatever guidance of God comes to you and follow it.

The same is true of the term "believer", it's to have faith in whatever truth and guidance is shown to you.

That said, official Islam is measured by accepting Mohammad as a Messenger while the universal nature can include many non-Muslims and exclude Muslims in the official sense of the word.

There is no problem in calling yourself a follower or supporter of Ali or the 12 Imams, because accepting and adhering to them is the path  of submission to God if and only if proofs of their authority has come to you.

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

Most of the people usually say that they are "JUST MUSLIMS" and think that calling themselves sunni or shia is "kufr" ( unbelief or disobedience) because sects are strictly prohibited in ISLAM/Quran.

"Indeed, those who have divided their religion and become sects - you, [O Muhammad], are not [associated] with them in anything. Their affair is only

to Allah ; then He will inform them about what they used to do" (Quran 6:159)

We Muslims,have divided ourselves into sects on the basis of our contrasting beliefs and differences,so now we introduce ourselves as a Shia Muslim or a sunni muslim to be more particular.

You're right, but it's only true about "sects," which refers to groups of people who are within a religion and at the same time have their own set of beliefs, while Shia Islam is nothing but the pure Islam that the Prophet s.a.w.a. himself introduced. The Prophet himself has named his true followers "Shi'a".

Soyuti, one of the great Sunni scholars, narrates in his tafseer, ad-Durr al-Manthoor,

و أخرج ابن عساكر عن جابر بن عبد الله قال كنا عند النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم فاقبل علي فقال النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم و الذي نفسي بيده ان هذا و شيعته لهم الفائزون يوم القيامة و نزلت إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَ عَمِلُوا الصَّالِحاتِ أُولئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ فكان أصحاب النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم إذا أقبل علي قالوا جاء خير البرية

Ibn Asaakir narrated from Jaabir b. Abdillah that he said, we were sitting with the Prophet s.a.w.s.; Ali entered; the Prophet s.a.w.s. said, "[i swear] by Him in Whose hand is my soul, that this [Ali] and his Shia are the fa'izun (the winners/ they will achieve felicity) on the Day of Judgment." And then this verse was revealed: "Indeed those who have faith and do righteous deeds it is they who are the best of creatures." After this event, whenever Ali approached, the companions of the Prophet s.a.w.s. said, "the best of creatures came."

(Ad-Durr al-Manthoor, vol.6, p.379)

Edited by sadegh

You're right, but it's only true about "sects," which refers to groups of people who are within a religion and at the same time have their own set of beliefs, while Shia Islam is nothing but the pure Islam that the Prophet s.a.w.a. himself introduced. The Prophet himself has named his true followers "Shi'a".

Your point is very clear ; I agree with you. Thanks for the narration .