In the Name of God بسم الله

Mixed Faith Marriage

Rate this topic

as salamu alaykum,

this is umm Muhammad

there are many people shahiding (reverting) these days, who are married, and we see one converts the other doesn't.

now all ulama, hadith, tasfir agree a muslim woman can not marry a non muslim man in either mutah or nikah.

now the vast majority of ulama only allow permanent marriage with muslim women, and some allow marriage with ahlul kitab or what resembles ahlul kitab ie cultural christains and jews in mutah. see quran 2:221 and 5:3-5.

ayatollah poopya did not consider modern christains as ahlul kitab, and they are ulama here and before (living and dead) who felt similar.

some marja say ihyat on these mutah a few do not.

the only living marja who allows mixed faith perament marriages that myself, or my husband was aware of, his ayatollah ibrhim jannati of qum, his litature is only in farsi, and finding things in eng or arbic is hard for him, he also consider there meat halal etc., this is a very minority view though,

so when giving dawa, answering marriage questions to these people, use hikmah, and show compassion when showing the fatwa,

beware these trolls (we just learned about them) and don't give them posts they could use to say the muslims destroy families are heartless.

I completely support stance of ulama, I am just saying deliver it with hikmah,

don't say for example your wife is najis/najis by ihyat. or congrulations on becoming muslim now divorce your wife, then remarry her in mutah etc.

and yes we have see that done by ulama be they arabi, Punjabi, black American etc.

ya hussayn always

• Advanced Member

This is certainly interesting.

Coming from someone in this situation, I can say that I assumed that fiqh would be as it is in much of current Sunni practice, permissible but not recommended. Obviously, I'll have to do a lot of reading and correspondence, but I don't know if I could ever act on a ruling like this. My wife is a great support to me and a loving partner, and a fantastic mother to my three children. It would be disruptive to their lives and hurtful to someone who has only tried to do right by me. And it would serve only to defame Islam in the eyes of my friends and family.

I can only agree with counseling hikmah if you're talking to others in interfaith marriages, because this is a disruptive thought to say the least.

This is certainly interesting.

Coming from someone in this situation, I can say that I assumed that fiqh would be as it is in much of current Sunni practice, permissible but not recommended. Obviously, I'll have to do a lot of reading and correspondence, but I don't know if I could ever act on a ruling like this. My wife is a great support to me and a loving partner, and a fantastic mother to my three children. It would be disruptive to their lives and hurtful to someone who has only tried to do right by me. And it would serve only to defame Islam in the eyes of my friends and family.

I can only agree with counseling hikmah if you're talking to others in interfaith marriages, because this is a disruptive thought to say the least.

Salam.

There is no need for divorce or separation according to my teacher. I know some one in a similar situation. He said as long as your spouse does not create any obstacle in you practising your religion, to each it's own.

Religion according to Our Imams is not to be made difficult for people. Islam is a very logical and beautiful religion.

There is an Aya in the Quran which says:

Let man Consider his food  (Abasa:24)

The deeper meaning of this aya according to Imam Jafar Sadiq means, Let man consider where he seeks his understanding of religion ( food of thought).

Which alot more important where you consider your physical food. 

http://www.jannaati.com

Selected Rulings

Marriage with women of Ahle Ketab (Zoroastrians, Jews and Christians) is permissible for Muslims. Marriage with women of Ahle Ketab (People of the Book) be it temporary or permanent is permissible.

as salamu alaykum,

this is umm Muhammad here for little while,

hajj ibn-kevin does not need to leave his wife, the post was in general and not addressed to him or anyone else, but he and all non muitjahadin need to refer to the fatwa of a muitjahadin who is a marja taqlid and has some sort of isfifa (q and a), risalah (manual etc.,) . unless one studies for years to be a muhtat (follows precaytion) or even more years to be a muitjadin, we can not give fatwa.

imam sadiq as says "whoever gives a false fatwa will spend 70 summers in the fire"

being akhbari doesn't solve this as they reject these marriages, and even many times mixed manthab marriages, see sheikh ahmad Bahraini circa 1700s on that.

however he has a unique situation, that can be solved in one of two ways

taking taqlid under a marja who allows mixed faith marriage who is alive, such as ayatollah ibrhim jannati may Allah dat ul dat lengthen his shadow

or

follow another marja, present his unique situation and see if the marja may Allah dat ul dat lengthen all their shadows would give a sughrat fatwa for his situation based on hujjah illa araba ie quran, hadith, ijma, wa aql.

like the fatwain, of some ulama on taharat of non muslim parents, for some talba who where in that unique situation. I know some who got sughrat for that personally.

ya hussayn always

• Advanced Member

I will look into Ayatullah Jannati.

Just so you know, I wasn't planning on throwing my hands up in despair. Coming to Shia Islam has been a gradual process based upon a conversion of heart and careful consideration of the evidence.

I can't believe that Allah would lead me here only to lose hope. I just can't turn my back on a partner who has loved me and been supportive, either.

And so, a disturbing thought worth thinking about.

Thank you for your caring concern. Really. I appreciate you guys a lot.

• Advanced Member

I will look into Ayatullah Jannati.

Just so you know, I wasn't planning on throwing my hands up in despair. Coming to Shia Islam has been a gradual process based upon a conversion of heart and careful consideration of the evidence.

I can't believe that Allah would lead me here only to lose hope. I just can't turn my back on a partner who has loved me and been supportive, either.

And so, a disturbing thought worth thinking about.

Thank you for your caring concern. Really. I appreciate you guys a lot.

If your wife is a Christian or a Jew then there isnt anything to be concerned about.  

• Advanced Member

For me even a mix mariage between sunni and shia is a bad idea.

What might not be a good idea for someone who is already a Muslim and is in the process of selecting a spouse speaks to a different reality than a person who is already married and has built a family with that person.

Not to be dramatic, but I've got nearly a decade of affection and trust built up with my wife, and with her Allah delivered me to this point. Why should I despair of His mercy now?

• Advanced Member

Personally I dont  care what the scholars thinks anymore.  I would definitely consider a  Christian with the same nationality as me. I've met some of the most amazing people who were Christian, and I felt they were truly good hearted people whom treat women with the upmost respect and kindness and fairness, and truly care about their well-being. Some of them will literally go the extra miles just to help out in times of need. 

Personally I dont  care what the scholars thinks anymore.  I would definitely consider a  Christian with the same nationality as me. I've met some of the most amazing people who were Christian, and I felt they were truly good hearted people whom treat women with the upmost respect and kindness and fairness, and truly care about their well-being. Some of them will literally go the extra miles just to help out in times of need.

Are there no muslims who do this?

• Advanced Member

Not to be dramatic, but I've got nearly a decade of affection and trust built up with my wife, and with her Allah delivered me to this point. Why should I despair of His mercy now?

As I mentioned brother, if your wife is a Jew or Christian you need not be concerned. We are allowed to marry women from the People of the Book. If your wife is not Christian or Jewish, don't panic. Allah's Mercy is vast. Speak to her about Islam and be kind and patient. Perhaps through you God will lend her guidance. Regardless, put your trust in Him and He will assist you in this matter. Our family and spouses are often the greatest sources of trials and tests for us. Those who love God will always put Him first. 

How about what the Prophet and A'immah [as] think? 

--

I mean this with no disrespect to anyone here, so I apologise if it sounds offensive. But I truly don't understand how anyone - unless they are coming from a background where they were involved with a Non-Muslim prior to accepting Islam - would want to marry a Non-Muslim and be willing to share their life with someone who rejects and directly or indirectly regards what you hold as Sacred is more or less hocus pocus and considers (at best) Rasoolillah [sawa] a charlatan. How could anyone want to raise their children with someone who rejects God, the Prophet, has no respect for the Sacred? I can't see why any Muslim man/woman would want such an individual to raise and influence his/her children. I'm sure religious Christians would most probably agree with this as well. 

• Advanced Member

A believer in God is important to me. but how he chooses to believe in God is what I dont care about. As long as he is a good person, is respectable to others and himself is what matter. And his values.

And what about your values? Edited by mina313

• Advanced Member

If you're a Muslim female, you cannot marry anyone but a Muslim man.

Permanent marriage with non muslimeen is not permissible in Islam. Wallahu A'lam.

* sigh* Note to self:

Inform the Church offices to be prepared for incoming soon-to-be-ex Muslims.

The rate of exogamy among Muslims in US has reached 16% ...and climbing. They are being called the " New Jews" ( whose out-marriages have been clocked recently at 30%... and climbing ). Marriages between Muslims and Catholic Christians alone have reached enough frequency to cause meetings to be held in at least one diocese to consider how to help these interfaith couples.

Hopefully their families ( and Islam) will be accepting of their unions. If not, have to say there are plenty of other places to pray around here that would be happy to take them off Islam's hands.

Problem solved?

Permanent marriage with non muslimeen is not permissible in Islam. Wallahu A'lam.

There shouldn't be a problem if you converted to Islam but your wife remained a Christian. As far as not marrying Christian women permanently whilst you're a Muslim man, some modern scholars who say it is not allowed are only saying that based on precaution. (Sistani)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Administrators
50 minutes ago, Sol 7 said:

I know a Hindu-Muslim couple. Weird right? But hey, whatever gets them to stop the fighting. Apparently its permissible to some Shaykh.

They're only kicking the can down the road.

• Forum Administrators

I think it's possible to create various scenarios and the only way they work to the satisfaction of both parties (IMHO) is if neither of them is particularly observant to begin with. Thus their choice of the label of Muslim and Hindu is more a result of inheritance rather than observance. The greater the latter the greater the potential source of problems and indeed the greater the likelihood that the marriage would not have taken place in the first instance.

Whatever modus vivendi the couple have when they are childless breaks down with the arrival of kids. Moreover by the time the kids do come and indeed by the time the kids' beliefs (in the partner's faith or lack of any belief altogether) became patently obvious to the parents, the latter are likely to be older and more susceptible to thinking about how their actions in this life will affect their status in the next. So any disappointment is likely to be felt even more keenly.