Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
yusur317

What Is A Soul Really?

Rate this topic

I've always believed our bodies to be vessels that limit our souls. Like a driver in a car. You can be the best driver alive, but no matter what you do, you can't go over your car model's speed limit. But I never really put much thought into it. 

When a family member of mine complained of strong pain in her "dying" tooth (infected nerve?), my mother said "Well of course it hurts, the soul is leaving it". I then asked "Does this happen with every body part you lose?". She said, "yes, I believe so". 

A few years later, sitting across a patient who'd suffered from a stroke and subsequent personality changes, I couldn't help but wonder- is she dead? Was a new person born in her place? A previously confident and charming person turned anxious and paranoid- is it still the same woman? Does her body hold the same soul, a damaged soul or a new soul? Which will be judged? 

With her, it doesn't make much difference... I think. But there are many who turn violent, aggressive and criminal post stroke, cancer or trauma to the (frontal) brain. If what my mother said was true and they lost part of their soul, is it considered damaged? And if it's true, would it mean our soul is physical (since it occupies space)? Is our brain our soul's core? 

Thanks for reading this far. Jazakum Allah kheir 

With salam 

السلام عليكم

According to the Aristotelian tradition, the human soul is the principle of life for the human body, without which it would be just a material entity that is lifeless, like a rock. The fact that this material entity possesses certain faculties and capacities, namely that of self-nourishment, locomotion and intellection means that it possesses something beyond just the material makeup. Aristotle actually designated a vegetative soul for all plants, which grants it the ability for self-nourishment and growth, an animal soul for animals which alongside self-nourishment and growth, grants them the ability to have sensory perception and locomotion. These souls are what grant life to plants and animals. The soul is not to be understand here as some sort of ghostly creature or like a cartesian entity that exists in a material entity, but rather these souls are the formal parts of the material entity.

In a human however, the soul is also capable of one more capacity, and that is the capacity to be rational and to think etc. This grants it a unique distinction compared to the former aforementioned souls in that the ability to think is not something material, because the act of thinking cannot be material. This means that unlike the former souls, the human soul cannot be accounted for in material terms, for there is a faculty that acts wholly immaterially. This also means that the human soul can survive the death of the material body.

This is a rough summary to the understanding of the soul Islamic Philosophers have, following on from the Aristotelian tradition. The second question that is raised is the relationship between the soul and the body. The typical answer is that it is an extremely close relationship, not like a dualism whereby we cannot understand why a soul and a body would randomly join each other, but rather that the soul and the body form one substance together. Because of that reason, the body has a direct impact on the soul, and even provides it the sensory experiences which are later abstracted and used in a rational process. The soul however, can survive the death of the body, because it is not strictly material as mentioned before. There are of course discussions on these details, but this is a rough outline of the philosophical approach towards the soul in Islamic philosophy.

Salam,

I shall briefly touch on the subject and explain more later. What I am sharing here is why I have learnt from my teacher from the Shia Islamic perspective. The definition of a humanbeing is

1-Body - Jism (computer case)

2-Spirit -Ruh ( Electricity)

3-Self-Personality- Nafs ( operating System)

We have to have all three to be defined as Human.

The spirit and Self are like glued to each other,  We have various spirits:

1-Spirit of the mind

2- Spirit of body parts

When we are Asleep, only the spirit of the mind leaves the body, and goes up to the Throne of Allah( Arsh ) Every time we sleep, But the spirit of the body parts are still in the body( like the heart still beating)

That is why the prophet said sleep is the brother of death.

Quran Aya:

It is Allah that takes the souls  at death; and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in this are Signs for those who reflect. (Az-Zumar: 42)

But when we die both the spirit of the mind and spirit of the body leave the body.

So in situations Like Coma it is called فوت Fout

And When you are fully dead it is called موت Mout

As for damaged body parts, there is no death of the Soul= Nafs= personality of the body part.

What happens is the -WORD- Shifa  شفاء ( healing ) is removed from the person.

When the "Healing" is removed the person is no more under the law and definition  of Shifa.

Until God wills to return for Shifa to be returned.

Edited by tendersoul

your brain is not your soul
do you control your brain ? or your brain controls you?
in my search for what is a soul , the closest I came to that your soul is your consciousness and since there so no specific area for the brain is for consciousness
probably your consciousness is your Brain electricity, In the future I wanna do research  using  Electroencephalography to check it during different stages of consciousness such as praying,meditating, watching mind numbing reality tv,etc
imagine if you could do a Soul transplant? :D

Salaam,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. The issue of the soul, especially as it relates to personality changes due to sickness or physical damage of the brain, is something that is relevant to many. There are so many people whose personalities are profoundly impacted by mental illness, the effects of stroke, cancer, etc., or some form of dementia. If an understanding of the soul is even going to be relevant these days, it needs to address how we can say that there is something enduring and accountable under the mask of shifting personality.

And in this regard, I can't offer a definition of my own. What I can do, though, is speak from my experience.

I believe in a soul largely because of my own experiences with mental illness. I have issues with anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive disorder. At times, these issues have disrupted my relationship with my wife and my parents, my studies, and my performance at work. I have been completely unreasonable, distracted, self-absorbed - all of those destructive things that I wouldn't have defined myself as when I was younger.

I just couldn't help myself. The pen, I hope, was lifted for me in those moments.

But if I couldn't help myself, doesn't that make the argument that there is no soul? Case closed, game over.

Except that what pulled me out of it wasn't just medication. My medication helps. Medication turns down the volume on my irrational thoughts. But I had to go and get the medication. I had to seek out the therapy. Ultimately what pulled me out of where I was and continues to pull me out of my sickness is love.

You see, alongside of everything strange that I think and do, I have an intense awareness that I love my wife and my family and God, and that I am loved very much even though I might be doing something weird right then. There is a distance between the me that looks at my circumstances, that loves my family and others and wants intensely to do good, and my anxiety and irrationality.

That distance goes from being terribly small to so wide that it's almost as if I'm watching my illness.

And what determines that distance is how grounded I am in my relationships. The times when I've been the most sick are the times that I've allowed myself to be the most isolated. What drove in a wedge for sanity was seeing the pain of those who loved me and hurting because of it and wanting to be better so that I could give them the love that they deserved. It's ultimately something that I can only speak of as being transformed by love.

But all along there was an enduring me. It wasn't always reflected by what others saw of me, but it was there and all along, it's abided in my love of others and their love for me.

Please take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

I can't speak to the experience of those with brain damage due to illness or injury, nor can I explain the total robbing of personality caused by dementia. At the same time, I've seen people in those circumstances exhibit a momentary total lucidity and when that happens, their love shines through profoundly.

Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim  In The Name Of Allaah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. As salaamu alaykum  The Peace Be Upon You.

In The Qur'an translation by Mohammad Habib Shakir, the soul (The Light Of Reason), is mentioned more than one hundred fifty times. I have commented and taken of some of these verses mentioning soul, from SURA 2. AL-BAQARA (THE COW)  as follows:

Neglect can cast the soul away (waywardly):  

2:44. What! do you enjoin men to be good and neglect your own souls while you read the Book; have you then no sense? 

The soul can suffer condemnation:

2:48. And be on your guard against a day when one soul shall not avail another in the least, neither shall intercession on its behalf be accepted, nor shall any compensation be taken from it, nor shall they be helped.

The soul can suffer loss:

2:57. And We made the clouds to give shade over you and We sent to you manna and quails: Eat of the good things that We have given you; and they did not do Us any harm, but they made their own souls suffer the loss. 

An insolent soul is one that is misguided:

2:87. And most certainly We gave Musa the Book and We sent messengers after him one after another; and We gave Isa, the son of Marium, clear arguments and strengthened him with the holy spirit, What! whenever then a messenger came to you with that which your souls did not desire, you were insolent so you called some liars and some you slew. 

The soul can be burdened with evil:

2:90. Evil is that for which they have sold their souls-- that they should deny what Allah has revealed, out of envy that Allah should send down of His grace on whomsoever of His servants He pleases; so they have made themselves deserving of wrath upon wrath, and there is a disgraceful punishment for the unbelievers.

Corruptible men want the soul to learn evil:

2:102. And they followed what the Shaitans chanted of sorcery in the reign of Sulaiman, and Sulaiman was not an unbeliever, but the Shaitans disbelieved, they taught men sorcery and that was sent down to the two angels at Babel, Harut and Marut, yet these two taught no man until they had said, "Surely we are only a trial, therefore do not be a disbeliever." Even then men learned from these two, magic by which they might cause a separation between a man and his wife; and they cannot hurt with it any one except with Allah's permission, and they learned what harmed them and did not profit them, and certainly they know that he who bought it should have no share of good in the hereafter and evil was the price for which they sold their souls, had they but known this. 

2:103. And if they had believed and guarded themselves [against evil], reward from Allah would certainly have been better; had they but known [this]. 

Some souls in that day will be weighted with evil and will find no help. Guard against such a day!:

2:123. And be on your guard against a day when no soul shall avail another in the least neither shall any compensation be accepted from it, nor shall intercession profit it, nor shall they be helped. 

Do not exceed the limits placed upon you being unjust to your soul:

2:231. And when you divorce women and they reach their prescribed time, then either retain them in good fellowship or set them free with liberality, and do not retain them for injury, so that you exceed the limits, and whoever does this, he indeed is unjust to his own soul; and do not take Allah's

communications for a mockery, and remember the favor of Allah upon you, and that which He has revealed to you of the Book and the Wisdom, admonishing you thereby; and be careful [of your duty to] Allah, and know that Allah is the Knower of all things. 

Allaah, Most Exalted, desires that you be cautious regarding retribution due you: 

2:265. And the parable of those who spend their property to seek the pleasure of Allah and for the certainty of their souls is as the parable of a garden on an elevated ground, upon which heavy rain falls so it brings forth its fruit twofold but if heavy rain does not fall upon it, then light rain [is sufficient]; and Allah sees what you do. 

The day for which each soul shall be paid back that which it has earned should be guarded against:

2:281. And guard yourselves against a day in which you shall be returned to Allah; then every soul shall be paid back in full what it has earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly. 

Allaah, All Praise Be For Him, does not overburden any soul with its duty:

2:286. Allah does not impose upon any soul a duty but to the extent of its ability; for it is [the benefit of] what it has earned and upon it [the evil of] what it has wrought: Our Lord! do not punish us if we forget or make a mistake; Our Lord! do not lay on us a burden as Thou didst lay on those before us, Our Lord do not impose upon us that which we have not the strength to bear; and pardon us and grant us protection and have mercy on us, Thou art our Patron, so help us against the unbelieving people. 

Wassalaam.  Faithfully999

Aslaam-o-Alaikum NoorA.95,

It is good to seek knowledge and like myself I query more than I can handle too.

The soul of the human being is one of those topics which we simply cannot acknowledge in its full scope. Just as Allah (swt) has offered limited knowledge on the entirety of His (swt) Being, equally the soul can only be partially understood, or better, allegorically. The Quran and Ahlul Bayt, from a variety of literature will offer great information as to better understand its nature but just as much will not draw a perfect container nor specifics in relation to the make up. Personally from what I understand, there are some secrets of the Grand Designs which are brains just simply can't fathom hence it makes sense to form limited understanding through metaphors.

I think you are spot on with 'the driver, the car'....a vessel indeed! 

Salam,

1. Body..just a vehicle or tool that is subservient to souls.  It is a physical entity that can perform works, get damaged, and self repaired and can degenarate in the physical world.

2. Souls are the driver of the vehicle or operator of the tool.  It posses intelligent and must make decision (free will), can be influenced by good or evil or the environment.

3. A spirit (ruh)..that give life to human body. Ruh is always goodness and with the Truth. Can remind human souls to not doing evil from behind the scene (conscious).

Souls can damage the body or take care of the body.  Souls can listen to the whisper of the evil as well as reminder from the Ruh.

It seems that the brain is where the soul connects with the body, or the driver's seat. When the frontal left lobe is damaged, for instance, and an anger problem appears it is just as if your car horn is malfunctioning (a loud, continuous horn = anger). Now each of us is judged according to the resources or gifts made available to us. Someone with a genuine problem is not going to be judged the same way like someone exaggerating or faking a problem. Rather Islam excuses such persons, case in point Ali-F's genuine flatulence problem during salah which he can not control, therefore brother Ali-F is excused from repeating ablutions or passing wind during salah.

Well what I believe is that , its not the soul that is damaged ,but the tooth ( body) which is damaged and it causes pain perception because error in any body results in pain so that we are aware of error.

When a person dies in a car accident , his body is injured with so much severity that it is impossible to recover ,so it decides to die .

and Its not the soul that is damaged or bleeds but the body.Soul just leaves the body .

Soul is independent of body as well that's why it wanders everywhere when we are asleep and we feel ourselves dreaming.

The case of woman you described,it is her brain or mental imbalance i.e the body is in discomfort .And also ,if a patient is hysteric or in dementia ,or harms any one due to his/her mental error is not considered a sin because its not the under action of soul but due to body's improper functioning.

Soul gets discomforted when we do things contrary to its nature i.e evil or disobedience of its Creator i.e Allah .

In other words , Body's food are vegetables while soul feeds on Quran .That is why we say that Quran is like food for soul.

Have you heard of the story of a woman (I am not sure if she was Hindah) when she entered the mosque but Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W) became invisible to her ? And the Jinnaat which are also living in this world but are invisible to our eyes ?  :blink: 
I guess these points are enough to boggle your mind for today   ^_^

I liked all replies, thank you for taking the time to write. I really do appreciate it. 

So from what I gather, the body and the soul are separate. But if the body is damaged and it influences our actions, like a damaged vehicle, our souls (drivers) can only do so much to compensate. We're not punished for the consequences that are beyond our control either. 

Salam,

I shall briefly touch on the subject and explain more later. What I am sharing here is why I have learnt from my teacher from the Shia Islamic perspective. The definition of a humanbeing is

1-Body - Jism (computer case)

2-Spirit -Ruh ( Electricity)

3-Self-Personality- Nafs ( operating System)

We have to have all three to be defined as Human.

The spirit and Self are like glued to each other,  We have various spirits:

1-Spirit of the mind

2- Spirit of body parts

When we are Asleep, only the spirit of the mind leaves the body, and goes up to the Throne of Allah( Arsh ) Every time we sleep, But the spirit of the body parts are still in the body( like the heart still beating)

That is why the prophet said sleep is the brother of death.

Quran Aya:

It is Allah that takes the souls  at death; and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep: those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life), but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in this are Signs for those who reflect. (Az-Zumar: 42)

But when we die both the spirit of the mind and spirit of the body leave the body.

So in situations Like Coma it is called فوت Fout

And When you are fully dead it is called موت Mout

As for damaged body parts, there is no death of the Soul= Nafs= personality of the body part.

What happens is the -WORD- Shifa  شفاء ( healing ) is removed from the person.

When the "Healing" is removed the person is no more under the law and definition  of Shifa.

Until God wills to return for Shifa to be returned.

This reply got me thinking quite a bit and taught me a lot. 

Now I'm a little confused. It might be because I'm an arabic speaker, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I thought ruh meant soul. Spirit is to do with spirituality. There are humans with a soul but without a spirit (absence of spirituality).

But I just tried googling the word for spirit, and ruh came up again. In islam, is spirit and soul one and the same? So what would that mean for those who lack faith? Do they posses a soul? A weakened soul?  

I suppose if this has no answer, saas you're quite right :) 

ruh and nafs are often used interchangeably, and it's not easy making detailed observations regarding either of them. same can be said for aql, fo'ad, qalb, etc.. this confusion exists in other languages as well, even english. so soul and spirit can overlap.

supposedly, we all have souls. there are theories of all people having more than one type of soul (multiple souls).

also, "fout" and "mout" are the same thing. fout means the soul existing the body when death comes. many verses and narrations refer to this.

Salam,

This was what I learnt from my teacher, and I had posted in the rambling mind tread:

I will share briefly what my teacher has explained, in depth but mainly in farsi.

The ego or the self in Islam is called the nafs نفس,

But the true self is called Fu'ad فواد ( which is sometimes mistakenly translated as heart- and some times brain in the Quran )

The Nafs نفس is the body in comparison to Fuad فواد which is to mind.

The Fu'ad فواد is the the one which decides what thoughts to create,

As my teacher calls the FUAD the CPU ( central processing unit )

and because we have not been taught how to think properly, we are not using our mind capacity properly.

Quran

وَلَا تَقْفُ مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ إِنَّ السَّمْعَ وَالْبَصَرَ وَالْفُؤَادَ كُلُّ أُولَٰئِكَ كَانَ عَنْهُ مَسْئُولًا

And do not occupy yourself with what you have no knowledge of.

The hearing, and the sight, and the minds—all these will be questioned. (17: 36)

That is why there is a particular punishment for the Fu'ad mentioned in The Quran also.

نَارُ اللَّهِ الْمُوقَدَةُ 

الَّتِي تَطَّلِعُ عَلَى الْأَفْئِدَةِ

God's kindled Fire

That laps to the minds. (104:5-6)

This is what prophets attained to have mastered along with Zekr of Allah, which is the MAIN PASS WORD to connect, and stay connected.

That is why Allah says remember the name of your LORD in your NAFS, so once you train your NAFS to repeat Allah: 

وَاذْكُر رَّبَّكَ فِي نَفْسِكَتَ ضَرُّعًا وَخِيفَةً  

And remember your Lord ***within yourself***, humbly and fearfully, and quietly(7: 205)

The FUAD which creates thoughts by choosing/processing  the content of the NAFS which is only Allah ,

but we are also told to create thoughts inline with Thinking about Allah and his creations, while,

sitting, standing and lying.

-الَّذِينَ يَذْكُرُونَ اللَّهَ قِيَامًا وَقُعُودًا وَعَلَىٰ جُنُوبِهِمْ وَيَتَفَكَّرُونَ فِي خَلْقِ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ رَبَّنَا مَا خَلَقْتَ هَٰذَا بَاطِلًا سُبْحَانَكَ فَقِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

Those who remember God while standing, and sitting, and on their sides; and they ponder upon the creation of the heavens and the earth: “Our Lord, You did not create this in vain, glory to You, so protect us from the punishment of the Fire.” (3: 191)

The mind content repeating the Zekr constantly, which has been emphasized alot in the Quran and asked us not be neglectful about, 

ودُونَ الْجَهْرِ مِنَ الْقَوْلِ بِالْغُدُوِّ وَالْآصَالِ وَلَا تَكُن مِّنَ الْغَافِلِينَ 

in the morning and the evening, and ***do not be of the neglectful***(7: 205)

even when you talk, trade, think, you have to be repeating Allah, so the mind which is used to creating

رِجَالٌ لَّا تُلْهِيهِمْ تِجَارَةٌ وَلَا بَيْعٌ عَن ذِكْرِ اللَّهِ وَإِقَامِ الصَّلَاةِ وَإِيتَاءِ الزَّكَاةِ يَخَافُونَ يَوْمًا تَتَقَلَّبُ فِيهِ الْقُلُوبُ وَالْأَبْصَارُ

By men who neither trading nor commerce distracts them from God’s remembrance,

and from performing the prayers, and from giving alms. They fear a Day when minds and sights are overturned. (24: 37)

Useless thoughts is to be trained, to repeat Allah, so you can experience What your Fitra= nature is, which is based on Fitarah Allah.

This is where the Famous saying comes into effect " Knowing your Self is to Know God - من عرف نفسه عرف ربه " 

The Islamic concept is alot deeper than " the power of now"

Although the power of now is a good book, it is nothing in comparison to the Islamic concept.

The main reason is in Zekr of Allah, because it is beyond now, Zekr of Allah encompasses all the moments of Now from the first thing he

created till externity of his creations, till beyond creations and Knowing Allah himself,

Given by Allah as Allah stated in the Quran, in Ayat Al- Kursi.

The Encompassment of knowledge given by Allah to those whom he wills. The word is Ehatah in Arabic احاطه

The repeating of zekr of Allah is to be done deeply along with thinking about Allah

At all times you can be given access to any realm past or future according to your mental capacity.

Since zekr means remembrance, we are trying to remember something regarding Allah, which can take us back, and we can recall

our original state which was of light. This light system can receive the light of guidance, so the more we are in line with Gods command

the more we become aware.

This is what  separates us from the prophets and Imams, because they were Ahul Zekr. People of the reminder.

We need to be REMINDED,

Because we have FORGOTTEN, the real potential within us. When we really try Hard to remember something, we try to focus and pay attention.

This called Iqamah wajh.

Fully focused ( Iqamah wajh-اقامه وجه)  on remembering (Zekr-ذکر)  

what we have Forgotten( نسیان)  is what the Fuad ( CPU-the true self-فواد)

is supposed to be trained for to Know and Realize Our Lord عرف ربه .

This is a very deep discussion explained by my teacher and needs several sessions to be explained in depth

for those who really want to understand the topic, and is related to Irfan, because Irfan is knowing Allah.

As all of the amazing things my teacher said, -" We are given the most advanced Computer system , but are only playing games with it."

The life of this world is nothing but diversion and play, and the Home of the Hereafter is the Life, if they only knew. (Al-Ankaboot: 64)

I have posted Audio files about Zekr and Salat in Irfan knowing Allah, maybe only a few listened to it.

http://www.shiachat....-knowing-Allah/

Which is the stepping stone towards The topic of the True self.

Edited by tendersoul

Salam,

This is another explanation for Ruh, روح from my teacher, which I had posted on The Christianity/ Islam discussion:

In Islam The Holy Spirit روح القدس is like the Main Electricity Power Station,with high voltage electricity.

So, If anyone has that main power generator beside him can do exactly what Jesus could do,

Bringing dead to life, speaking all the languages of the world etc,

It is super charge force,but it gets its own force by the command of God

This Main Electricity Power Station is one of God's obedient and extremely holy creations,

And the king of the lower voltage spirits.

If you reach a very high stage like Jesus or Muhammad we too can be assisted by it.

But if you do useless stuff during the day, or forget,

or cannot speak all the languages in the world without any effort,

we do not have the Holy spirit but a lower voltage spirit روح with us.

Quran:

Say, “The Holy Spirit has brought it down from your Lord, truthfully,

in order to stabilize those who believe, and as guidance and good news for those who submit.” (16:102)

The spirits of people like us who have not reached high spiritual stage have 4 types of spirit روح in Islam,

The 5th one is given to those who reach the level of shouldering the responsibility of prophecy,

then the successor of the prophet appointed by God himself:

1- Spirit of life so we can shake and walk

2- Spirit of strength so we move and make efforts

3- Spirit of desire, so we can desire to eat ,drink, and for lawful intimacy

4- Spirit of faith, thru which we can bring faith, and act justly

5-Holy Spirit, by which the responsibility of prophecy is to be carried

The Holy spirit does not have sleep, forgetfulness, useless acts, and arrogance

The four other spirits can have sleep, forgetfulness, useless acts, and arrogance

And thru the Holy Spirit Every thing is realized and understood. -Source: Al- Kafi

( ***The Holy Spirit accompanies prophets only when required the usage of such Force/power,

but the times when they did their daily chores and sleep,

they do not need to be accompanied or make use of the Holy Spirit)

The three spirits of strength/faith/desire can be under the category of spirit of the mind.

When we sleep, the spirit of the Life/body stays in the body,

while the spirit of the mind leaves the body to get recharged.

This is how you can see dreams even while sleeping.

That is why in islam sleep is called the brother of death.

If all the spirits leave the body including the spirit of body, you die. 

In Islam, for a human being to be defined as a human being it consists of three parts:

1- Soul, نفس which is the one that makes choices can define my personality thru the choices I make - you can also call it the Operating system 

2- Spirit - روح is the Charge of the body, which we can call the Electricity

3- Body- جسم  computer case

The Soul نفس - ُفواد is kind of glued to the spirit,

that is why when the spirit of the mind leaves the body at night,

you still have a personality if you sleep, and dreaming according to your personality most of the time-

The spirit on the other hand is just the electricity and force,

so when you say my mind is tired it's because you are low in electricity charge,

but your personality is the one that choses what to do at the time when your mind is tired,

you either choose to have a warm cup of tea, or just go take a walk.

Our decision to do good or evil is done by the soul,

and the force or power we use to achieve it is by the spirit.

Hence our true self is the soul- nafs نفس in arabic, the spirit روح( ruh in Arabic) never disobeys God. 

There are time we are slack in our faith.

The ones who have the Holy spirit with such huge charge accompanying them can never slack in faith,

so if I am not similar to Jesus, it is because I do not have the Holy spirit accompanying me.

Quran:

وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ وَقَفَّيْنَا مِن بَعْدِهِ بِالرُّسُلِ وَآتَيْنَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ بِرُوحِ الْقُدُسِ أَفَكُلَّمَا جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولٌ بِمَا لَا تَهْوَىٰ أَنفُسُكُمُ اسْتَكْبَرْتُمْ فَفَرِيقًا كَذَّبْتُمْ وَفَرِيقًا تَقْتُلُونَ 

We gave Moses the Scripture, and sent a succession of messengers after him.

And We gave Jesus son of Mary the clear proofs, and We supported him with the Holy Spirit.

Is it that whenever a messenger comes to you with anything your Souls do not desire,

(you grew arrogant, calling some impostors, and killing others? (2: 87)

The spirits will is always God's will,

( The Holy spirit is 100 percent pure electricity highest voltage,

the lower spirits may not be that effective  and for example can probably lit a room,

verses the holy spirit can lit the whole country )

But it is the operating system that defines our true self which leads us to our destiny, heaven/hell/purgatory

This is why it is important to get hold of the original text,

because lots of translators translate soul as spirit or vice versa

and even for the Quran some translators translate Gabriel as the Holy Spirit,

were it is clearly stated in the Quran that angel is separate from spirit.

The spirit روح is never punished but the inner part of the soul فواد  is punished according to the Quran.

This is the Islamic take on the three separate definitions of Holy spirit/ Spirit/ Soul

This is what we have discussed with my teacher, which I found very logical, and not my personal opinions.

Edited by tendersoul

supposedly, we all have souls. there are theories of all people having more than one type of soul (multiple souls).

Those are the cases for mediums, if you are a medium, yes, it is possible.

But when another spirit along with souls enters the body of a medium,

before this happens the medium, goes into a state for drowsiness, light hypnosis state.

When this happens , the spirit along with soul of the other person enters their body, and expresses itself ,

using the body of the medium as a host.

You have to witness this from professionals in this field to understand the concept,

otherwise you can only come up with theories.

روح and نفس are absolutely two different things from the Quranic perspective.

Quran

تنَزَّلُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَالرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍ 

In it descend the angels and the Spirit, by the leave of their Lord, with every command. (97:4)

In leylatul Qadr, the angels bring along the Ruh (the electricity)

They do not bring down our نفس، which is what shapes our personality.

With the Electricity I receive On leylatul Qar, I get the power to act,

and with the Nafs (self) , I choose how to use the electricity,

I  chose to either go murder a person, or help a person.

Also Fout and mout are different, similar to Insan and bashar,

both are used separately, and do not mean the same thing.

But thats another topic

Edited by tendersoul