Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Muhammed Ali

Yasir Qadhi On Fadak

Rate this topic

You must have watched the previous lecture on Abu Bakr and Imam Ali (a.s) giving allegiance? He talked about how Bibi Fatema(a.s) was all cool with them at the end.

Interesting to see how the sunnis interpret these events.

Yes. High time Shias get informed.

Actually, the reason I posted this was because I was thinking about how selective knowledge can completely misguide us in so many areas of life - not just religion. There were so many omissions and mistakes in his talk.

A little learning is a dangerous thing - Alexander Pope

Here is a video of him divulging his weaknesses. I agree with him that many from the Islamic institutions would struggle with the challenges of western academia on Islam. When he says that he would draw the line with the Quran, it could be that he is uncertain about many other matters, and his strong stance against the shia is insincere.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Actually, the reason I posted this was because I was thinking about how selective knowledge can completely misguide us in so many areas of life - not just religion. There were so many omissions and mistakes in his talk.

A little learning is a dangerous thing - Alexander Pope

Here is a video of him divulging his weaknesses. I agree with him that many from the Islamic institutions would struggle with the challenges of western academia on Islam. When he says that he would draw the line with the Quran, it could be that he is uncertain about many other matters, and his strong stance against the shia is insincere.

What are your thoughts on the the last point he made? The ignorant believer being better than the pseudo intellectual philosopher?

You must have watched the previous lecture on Abu Bakr and Imam Ali (a.s) giving allegiance? He talked about how Bibi Fatema(a.s) was all cool with them at the end.

Who to believe? This guy or Sahih Bukhari:

Narrated `Aisha:
(mother of the believers) After the death of Allah 's Apostle Fatima the daughter of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) asked Abu Bakr As-Siddiq to give her, her share of inheritance from what Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) had left of the Fai (i.e. booty gained without fighting) which Allah had given him. Abu Bakr said to her, "Allah's Apostle said, 'Our property will not be inherited, whatever we (i.e. prophets) leave is Sadaqa (to be used for charity)." Fatima, the daughter of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) got angry and stopped speaking to Abu Bakr, and continued assuming that attitude till she died. Fatima remained alive for six months after the death of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ). She used to ask Abu Bakr for her share from the property of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) which he left at Khaibar, and Fadak, and his property at Medina (devoted for charity). Abu Bakr refused to give her that property and said, "I will not leave anything Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) used to do, because I am afraid that if I left something from the Prophet's tradition, then I would go astray." (Later on) `Umar gave the Prophet's property (of Sadaqa) at Medina to `Ali and `Abbas, but he withheld the properties of Khaibar and Fadak in his custody and said, "These two properties are the Sadaqa which Allah's Apostle used to use for his expenditures and urgent needs. Now their management is to be entrusted to the ruler." (Az-Zuhri said, "They have been managed in this way till today.")
Sahih al-Bukhari » Book of One-fifth of Booty to the Cause of Allah
Chapter (1): The obligations of Khumus
Book 57, Hadith 2

Even he had at admit that one hadith said they didnt speak, and then he dug around and found an obscure book with a hadith that said in the end everything was fine.

His facebook has some interesting debate on the issue...

Who to believe? This guy or Sahih Bukhari:

Narrated `Aisha:
(mother of the believers) After the death of Allah 's Apostle Fatima the daughter of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) asked Abu Bakr As-Siddiq to give her, her share of inheritance from what Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) had left of the Fai (i.e. booty gained without fighting) which Allah had given him. Abu Bakr said to her, "Allah's Apostle said, 'Our property will not be inherited, whatever we (i.e. prophets) leave is Sadaqa (to be used for charity)." Fatima, the daughter of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) got angry and stopped speaking to Abu Bakr, and continued assuming that attitude till she died. Fatima remained alive for six months after the death of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ). She used to ask Abu Bakr for her share from the property of Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) which he left at Khaibar, and Fadak, and his property at Medina (devoted for charity). Abu Bakr refused to give her that property and said, "I will not leave anything Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) used to do, because I am afraid that if I left something from the Prophet's tradition, then I would go astray." (Later on) `Umar gave the Prophet's property (of Sadaqa) at Medina to `Ali and `Abbas, but he withheld the properties of Khaibar and Fadak in his custody and said, "These two properties are the Sadaqa which Allah's Apostle used to use for his expenditures and urgent needs. Now their management is to be entrusted to the ruler." (Az-Zuhri said, "They have been managed in this way till today.")
Sahih al-Bukhari » Book of One-fifth of Booty to the Cause of Allah
Chapter (1): The obligations of Khumus
Book 57, Hadith 2

Even he had at admit that one hadith said they didnt speak, and then he dug around and found an obscure book with a hadith that said in the end everything was fine.

His facebook has some interesting debate on the issue...

As iraqi_shia pointed out he gave a hadith (without a source) that said Abu Bakr eventually managed to pacify her and that Aisha probably didn't know about it as she wasn't around her father or B. Fatima (a.h.s) all the time. 

He also admitted to being biased at the end of the lecture (during the Q&A if I'm not mistaken).

Basically he downplayed the whole incident and there was no mention of B. Fatima (a.h.s) sermon either.

As iraqi_shia pointed out he gave a hadith (without a source) that said Abu Bakr eventually managed to pacify her and that Aisha probably didn't know about it as she wasn't around her father or B. Fatima (a.h.s) all the time. 

He also admitted to being biased at the end of the lecture (during the Q&A if I'm not mistaken).

Basically he downplayed the whole incident and there was no mention of B. Fatima (a.h.s) sermon either.

That admission of bias was so awkward.

He basically said no matter what the facts, he will twist it and interpret it in the companions favor, how can anyone take what he says seriously?

He did at least admit a few things that I havent seen any sunnis do previously, which was refreshing.

I think people should hating on the guy so much. Sure, he downplayed Fadak and defended his beliefs but he is a thousand times better than most of the Sunni scholars you'll encounter who are either utterly ignorant or extremely bigoted. He may not have reached the conclusions we wanted but he still made an attempt to 1. not avoid the controversial stuff, like he admitted many Sunnis do and 2. did so using intellectual arguments. We may not agree with his arguments but at least he made an attempt and a thousand scholars like him are better than the current selection of Sunni 'ulama' we have today.

You're right. He is one of the few who strives for peaceful co-existence with Shia-muslims with the risk of being rejected by the salafi hardliners of his followers. 

He even had a lecture on that.

Edited by Skanderbeg

What are your thoughts on the the last point he made? The ignorant believer being better than the pseudo intellectual philosopher?

It's hard for me to comment. What are the beliefs, practices and moral traits of that pseudo intellectual philosopher? I don't know how much khushoo an ignorant worshipper has, and are all ignorant worshippers the same?

The use of the word 'philosopher' is a bit out of place. The challenges that he is speaking about are not philosophical. 

Brother I have not heard most of the previous lecture.

That admission of bias was so awkward.

He basically said no matter what the facts, he will twist it and interpret it in the companions favor, how can anyone take what he says seriously?

He did at least admit a few things that I havent seen any sunnis do previously, which was refreshing.

I had suspected for a long time that his university studies had made him more liberal. When he felt that since his own beliefs are not so secure, how can he attack the shia like he used to?

At around 1:16 he says: "This is a bias. It's theology. Now is this science? No. Is this rational? No. It's theology. It's imaan bil ghayb."  :unsure:  

Edited by Muhammed Ali

At around 1:16 he says: "This is a bias. It's theology. Now is this science? No. Is this rational? No. It's theology. It's imaan bil ghayb."   :unsure:  

What is the definition of theology? systematic and rational study of concepts of God and of the nature of religious ideas. He made an contradiction. What is the point in whole religion if we can't even derive any rational proof or objectivity from Islamic History and Islamic literature? So all of us are just biased and following religion by our imaan and say perhaps it is the truth and perhaps not, I leave it to Allah [swt]? Sounds more like a teaching of Sunnism.

This kind of people are worst and should not even be in public speaking for Muslim.

Edited by Dhulfikar

It's hard for me to comment. What are the beliefs, practices and moral traits of that pseudo intellectual philosopher? I don't know how much khushoo an ignorant worshipper has, and are all ignorant worshippers the same?

The use of the word 'philosopher' is a bit out of place. The challenges that he is speaking about are not philosophical. 

Brother Sister I have not heard most of the previous lecture.

What is an ignorant worshipper?

I understand everyone is ignorant to some extent, but isn't an individual who understands and knows what he is doing at some level "better" than one who blindly follows (especially in matters of Aqaid - usool e din).

So for example someone who blindly follows Allah (s.w.t) as opposed to someone who made the effort to research the concept Tawhid and based on his understanding of research he follows Allah (s.w.t) (it could be a wrong understanding of Tawhid but still the effort of research was made).