Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Rizq has always been a subtle topic to grasp for me. It is Muslim belief that God has taken the responsibility of distributing and providing rizq to all the creatures. But the interpretation of this responsibility is unclear to me.

Throughout this discussion I am assuming that the meaning of the word Rizq is primarily food, cloth and shelter (with emphasis on food).

Allah says:-

"And there is no creature on earth but that upon Allah is its provision, and He knows its place of dwelling and place of storage. All is in a clear register."

[surah hud Verse 6]

Imam Ali(a) said:-

“‘The Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds’ means their Owner, their Creator, and the Provider of their daily bread through ways which they know of and ways which they do not know of. The daily sustenance is divided up. It will reach the Children of Adam no matter which way they go in this world. One’s piety will not cause an increase in it, neither will a wicked person’s corruption cause a decrease in his share of the daily bread. There is a veil in between one and his share of the daily bread, and he is running after his daily bread. If one tries to escape from his share of the daily bread, it will follow him just as death does."
[uyoon Akhbar Al-Reza Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã Chapter 28 Tradition number 30]

These suggest that a man must not worry about his rizq because the part that Allah has fixed for us will reach us no matter what just like death reaches us no matter what.

But if you take a look at what happens in real world I am unable to see these said principles into action.
There are millions and millions of people who die of starvation. Man has made systems in this world which keep making the rich even more rich while the poor becomes even more poor. All this observation implies how sustenance is in man's hand and how the powerful deprive the poor of even the most basic necessities of life.

I have been searching for an explanation which makes sense. Which would neither contradict Quran nor contradict what we see. I am searching for an answer which adds it all together smoothly. I wonder why no one asked any Infallible that If God has taken the responsibility of providing rizq then why do people die of starvation?

Kindly share your thoughts on this issue and if you know of any tradition from Infallibles please do mention it.

Thank you

What if rizk follows one to the afterlife?

What if at the cost of food rizk you get good deeds? Ahlul Bayt (a) have gone through days in which they didn't have food. They sometimes gave away their last portions. So this is like exchanging a physical rizk for a more valuable spiritual one.

Imam Ali (AS) said, 'Go out and seek your livelihood for it is guaranteed to the one who goes in search of it.’
[al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 303]

This makes it seem like God will help those who help themselves.

Imam al-Baqir (AS) said, 'Verily when the servant commits a sin, his sustenance eludes him.’
[al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 270, no. 8]

Sinning affects it.

Imam al-Sadiq (AS) said, 'Being good-natured increases in one's sustenance.’
[bihar al-Anwar, v. 71, p. 396, no. 77]

Good deeds increase it.

http://hadithdatabank.com/preview.php?mod=4&id=83for more hadeeth on this.

These suggest that a man must not worry about his rizq because the part that Allah has fixed for us will reach us no matter what just like death reaches us no matter what.

But if you take a look at what happens in real world I am unable to see these said principles into action.
There are millions and millions of people who die of starvation. Man has made systems in this world which keep making the rich even more rich while the poor becomes even more poor. All this observation implies how sustenance is in man's hand and how the powerful deprive the poor of even the most basic necessities of life.

I have been searching for an explanation which makes sense. Which would neither contradict Quran nor contradict what we see. I am searching for an answer which adds it all together smoothly. I wonder why no one asked any Infallible that If God has taken the responsibility of providing rizq then why do people die of starvation?

i've often wondered the same thing, myself...

@ repentant;

i can provide verses from quran, as well as narrations that  state the exact opposite (in two ways); 1- that the "better" you become the more difficult your "tests" become, and the less rizq you will get. 2- the more one sins (or doesn't believe), the more luxuries god will give him in this world in order to "lure" them to hell, or more sin.

this is clearly a contradiction on god's part.

Edited by Einstein

Salam, saying why people die of starvation when Allah had promised sustenance would be the same as saying why good people get die under oppression when Allah is the ultimate Master and Protector.

As for people dying of starvation my understanding is that maybe their Rizq(by rizq I mean good here) was up. Had there been anymore rizq set aside for them it would surely have reached them.

Poverty could be a test from Allah.

"And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient" - 2:155

When Allah wants wealth or riches to reach someone no man can stand in the way. People do go from rags to riches and the other way round.

Imam Ali (as) said, 'Go out and seek your livelihood for it is guaranteed to the one who goes in search of it.’

[al-Irshad, v. 1, p. 303]

This makes it seem like God will help those who help themselves.

Imam al-Baqir (as) said, 'Verily when the servant commits a sin, his sustenance eludes him.’

[al-Kafi, v. 2, p. 270, no. 8]

Sinning affects it.

Imam al-Sadiq (as) said, 'Being good-natured increases in one's sustenance.’

[bihar al-Anwar, v. 71, p. 396, no. 77]

These three traditions contradict the ones that I have quoted. How is it possible that Imam Ali(a) is at one place telling you that Rizq would chase you even if you run away from it just like death does while at some other place He(a) is encouraging you to go after it...these are contradictory statements.

Similarly In the quote that I have provided Imam Ali(a) says that piousness cannot increase rizq and wickedness cannot decrease it then how come Imam Baqar(a) said that sins would decrease rizq? another contradiction!

Either the tradition that I have quoted is right or yours is right but both cannot be true unless in all of these quotes Rizq is being taken in different meanings (other than food and shelter etc.)

Salam, saying why people die of starvation when Allah had promised sustenance would be the same as saying why good people get die under oppression when Allah is the ultimate Master and Protector.

As for people dying of starvation my understanding is that maybe their Rizq(by rizq I mean good here) was up. Had there been anymore rizq set aside for them it would surely have reached them.

"And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient" - 2:155

When Allah wants wealth or riches to reach someone no man can stand in the way. People do go from rags to riches and the other way round.

You are right about the 'good people dying under oppression' thing but that matter is less serious because Allah has not taken the responsibility of protecting good people from worldly/materialistic harm...but in case of Rizq it seems like Allah has indeed taken complete responsibility...so i think this matter is far more serious.

As for the 'rizq is up' that crossed my mind too but I don't think that is a sensible explanation...I think that would imply irresponsibility and injustice from God's part because the playing field does not remain level...When you guarantee something then that is like a commitment...It is just like i guarantee my child that I will bear his education expenses and i ask him that you need to work hard on being a good student but then after some time I stop paying for his school and the school kicks him out...and i say that 'that is enough of your education'..

As for 'poverty' I agree that it can be a test but we are not discussing poverty here, are we?...being poor is another thing and being so poor that you don't survive is another thing...we are discussing the latter one.

Salam,

The world has its own man made laws, mainy based on greed.

God has provided us with his laws to create balance. Rizq means sustainance in Arabic.  

The law and means to attain food , shelter and clothing is thru working.

If one is not in a position to work or cannot find a job to provide him/her with food/shelter and clothing, the law falls upon the rich to provide.

So the rizq of the needy is in the hands of the wealthy. If the affulent/ government deprive the poor, the poor dies in the state of oppression.

The oppresseds, compensation will be given in the next world, and the oppressor will be held accountable for not providing them the basic necessities to live a longer and healthier life and will be deprived of the eternal sustainance in the next world. Hence The here after is Guaranteed by Allah,for those who believe/ oppressed/ do good works. As God created mankind in the best of place and state, intended the best for Human ( ahsan taqweem- Best state ) But human disobeyed and went towards ( asfal -assafeleen- worst state)

When Imam Ali said do not worry about your sustainance meaning, you try your best and leave the rest to Allah, and don't worry about it, as the mind is the most Important aspect of a human being which can be utilized for more important aspects of life, once you bare minimum of sustainance is covered.

Just like scientist, a geniune scientist will work just enough to meet his bare minimum necessities in a regular day job and would not want to occupy the rest of his mind thinking and worrying about his food and shelter once he has done his best. Basically he will not worry but access.

The main Rizq for a believer is his/her religion and Aql ( intellect ) from Allah.

That is why Imam Ali also mentioned, pray that Allah completes your AQL, (intellect)  ( mentioned in al-kafi )

And if everyone's Aql was complete no one would go hungry as they would be abiding by God's law, or at least a free human's law.

Imam Ali: If all people would stick to spending on requirements not enjoyments no one would go hungry or be poor in this world. ( hadith thru my wordings- do not recall the original statement)

If this law is abided by according to Imam Jafar Sadiq, an average life span God Intended for a human being should be around 120 years old ( meaning balanced food/shelter/clothing /clean air/ less stress/ all that help to achieve alonger life- bare in mind most prophets had stressful lifes so they also fall into this category )

Edited by tendersoul

"Similarly In the quote that I have provided Imam Ali(a) says that piousness cannot increase rizq and wickedness cannot decrease it then how come Imam Baqar(a) said that sins would decrease rizq? another contradiction! "

I know what you mean, however, I have noticed there are alot of wrong translations, probably if you can get the actual arabic hadith it may help. 

Also the MOST important Shia rule from ahlul Bayt:

"Imam Sadiq (a.s.) has said, ‘Everything must be referred to the holy Quran and the Sunnah, the noble traditions of the holy Prophet (s.a.) and any Hadith that does not agree with the holy Quran it is a useless statement. (H 199, Ch. 22, h 3 ,Al-Kafi)

"Similarly In the quote that I have provided Imam Ali(a) says that piousness cannot increase rizq and wickedness cannot decrease it then how come Imam Baqar(a) said that sins would decrease rizq? another contradiction! "

I know what you mean, however, I have noticed there are alot of wrong translations, probably if you can get the actual arabic hadith it may help.

trust me, it's not the fault of the translations. there really are contradictions. and when someone asks "why", or "how"? they say "maslaha" or "hikma" etc..

Also the MOST important Shia rule from ahlul Bayt:

"Imam Sadiq (a.s.) has said, ‘Everything must be referred to the holy Quran and the Sunnah, the noble traditions of the holy Prophet (s.a.) and any Hadith that does not agree with the holy Quran it is a useless statement. (H 199, Ch. 22, h 3 ,Al-Kafi)

the problem is, quran often contradicts itself, and when one demands an explanation, no one seems to have one.

Edited by Einstein

Salam,

The world has its own man made laws, mainy based on greed.

God has provided us with his laws to create balance. Rizq means sustainance in Arabic.  

The law and means to attain food , shelter and clothing is thru working.

If one is not in a position to work or cannot find a job to provide him/her with food/shelter and clothing, the law falls upon the rich to provide.

So the rizq of the needy is in the hands of the wealthy. If the affulent/ government deprive the poor, the poor dies in the state of oppression.

then god shouldn't claim to be the provider. he should say "the wealthy should provide, leave me alone".

The oppresseds, compensation will be given in the next world, and the oppressor will be held accountable for not providing them the basic necessities to live a longer and healthier life and will be deprived of the eternal sustainance in the next world. Hence The here after is Guaranteed by Allah,for those who believe/ oppressed/ do good works.

just like he "guaranteed" certain things in this lifetime, but never delivered?

As God created mankind in the best of place and state, intended the best for Human ( ahsan taqweem- Best state ) But human disobeyed and went towards ( asfal -assafeleen- worst state)

tell that to all the difigured, paraplegic, quadriplegic, retarded...people in the world (since birth, and through no fault of their own).

then god shouldn't claim to be the provider. he should say "the wealthy should provide, leave me alone".

just like he "guaranteed" certain things in this lifetime, but never delivered?

tell that to all the difigured, paraplegic, quadriplegic, retarded...people in the world (since birth, and through no fault of their own).

The big misconception is that God created all of us directly because he wanted to. God only created Adam and eve Directly, If adam and Eve and your parents decided to have a child, God just placed the tools if you want to have a child. There is no obligation to have a child in Islam.

In fact never you will see in the Quran that God has asked us to have children. But he does mention them as they could be tests/ enemies/ adornment, and continues what I have is better.

You have a choice not to have a child. Most genetic error goes back to humans themselves for living unbalanced lives ( reckless behaviour, eating, ignorance  etc). So for example, I was the first human being to cause such genetic error conscioulsy, and the generations have to suffer for it, it is not God's fault.

For example the atomic bomb in hiroshima and nagasaki, up to this date children are being born with genetic problems. The people who go thru this because of human stupidity and oppression will be compensated by God and bring them back to the original state of best form.

The problem is not with the so called genetically retarded, disabled, the problem is the real Retards call them selves Sane. Who is more Retarded ?A  person who consciously spreads disease and problems, terrors, injustice or the one who is born retarded due to this Stupid retarded person's action. So who ever is the starter of an evil act consciouly will have to pay for all the effects he has caused generations to follow, if he did not repent sincerely before he died, and the oppressed will be compansated in a manner that probably people like us who are living comfortable lives would want to swap places for with them.

I would rather be a the kind of retarded person you mentioned than a consciouly retarded oppressor.

Quran:

It is We who revive the dead; and We write down what they have forwarded, and their traces. We have tallied all things in a Clear Record. (36: 12)

Corruption has appeared on land and sea, because of what people’s hands have earned, in order to make them taste some of what they have done, so that they might return. (Ar-Room: 41)

God does not commit an atom's weight of injustice; and if there is a good deed, He doubles it, and gives from His Presence a sublime compensation. (An-Nisaa: 40)

The Quran did not come in one go it came ove 23 years and also based on situations and occasions that were particular revelations that needed to be revealed. The Understanding and interpertaion of the Quran is not for us , it is given By Allah to those who practise taqwa :

This is the Book in which there is no doubt, a guide for the righteous.(2:2)

So, Even, if you are a muslim and a momin ( believer ) and not yet a motaqi ( God Concsious ), Allah does not give you the Forqan ( Criterion/the understanding of the Quran ) no matter how many religious institutes you attend, so leave alone if one does not believe in God.

This brief True Documentry ( really worth watching ) is a about a simple, pious, illetrate person in an iranian village, whose passion was to able to read the Quran. One fine day he receives the whole Quran miraculously  around 50 years ago. He had more knowledge than the well known scholars, because he Got the knowledge directly from Allah not thru making personal assumptions. His main discontent towards the scholars was they asked him very trivial questions ( towards the end of the documentry)

Edited by tendersoul

@ tender;

first, god does encourage having children, both in the quran and in countless narrations (that emphasize marriage and having children). this is great, if we were sheep.

second, do you think that because "evil" or ignorant people cause (directly) bad things to happen to others, that this somehow absolves god from being the main (but indirect) cause to all pain and suffering in the world, throughout history? he did after all create adam and eve, satan, hitler, etc., and allowed all the "evil" people to d with innocent people as they please.

note: i use quotations for certain concepts that i don't accept, either due to rejection of freewill, or something else.

salam

@ tender;

first, god does encourage having children, both in the quran and in countless narrations (that emphasize marriage and having children). this is great, if we were sheep.

second, do you think that because "evil" or ignorant people cause (directly) bad things to happen to others, that this somehow absolves god from being the main (but indirect) cause to all pain and suffering in the world, throughout history? he did after all create adam and eve, satan, hitler, etc., and allowed all the "evil" people to d with innocent people as they please.

note: i use quotations for certain concepts that i don't accept, either due to rejection of freewill, or something else.

salam

I have not seen anywhere in the Quran, God stating to have children is a good thing or a bad thing. He says the best amongst you is most God concsious. Not who has children, spouse/wealth etc.

Regarding the understanding of Quran, the documentry I posted above is quite interesting.

Because we are not on the same page of free will, I just agree to disagree,

I have not seen anywhere in the Quran, God stating to have children is a good thing or a bad thing. He says the best amongst you is most God concsious. Not who has children, spouse/wealth etc.

in "noah" chapter, noah says to his people that if you repent (ask for forgiveness; istighfar) god will give you rain, money and children (or sons). this implies that having money and children is a good thing.

there are much more explicit narrations on the matter, however. some even almost threaten those who don't get married. absurd.

Very Good point ! Yes, Noah said that. And also this :

Noah said, “My Lord, they have defied me, and followed him whose wealth and children increase him only in perdition.” (Nooh: 21)

Children, spouse, wealth are not bad it is good If it is good.

But lets see What God says about Noahs child :

He said, “O Noah, he is not of your family. It is an unrighteous deed. So do not ask Me about something you know nothing about. I admonish you, lest you be one of the ignorant.” (Hud: 46)

But Did God himself say have children? I am talking about direct commands from God. What God himself emphasises on is Zikr, Taqwa, Salat, Good deeds, avoiding sin etc .  But whenever God talks directly about children...

God says: 

(6) The Day when neither wealth nor children will help. (Ash-Shu'araa: 88)

Just because he has money and children. (Al-Qalam: 14)

Your possessions and your children are a test, but with God is a splendid reward. (At-Taghaabun: 15)

And know that your possessions and your children are a test, and that God possesses an immense reward. (Al-Anfaal: 28)

O people! Be conscious of your Lord, and dread a Day when no parent can avail his child, nor can a child avail his parent, in anything. The promise of God is true. Therefore, do not let this life deceive you, nor let illusions deceive you regarding God. (Luqman: 33)

O you who believe! Let neither your possessions nor your children distract you from the remembrance of God. Whoever does that—these are the losers. (Al-Munaafiqoon: 9)

I do not agree with absurd narrations

Edited by tendersoul

These three traditions contradict the ones that I have quoted. How is it possible that Imam Ali(a) is at one place telling you that Rizq would chase you even if you run away from it just like death does while at some other place He(a) is encouraging you to go after it...these are contradictory statements.

Similarly In the quote that I have provided Imam Ali(a) says that piousness cannot increase rizq and wickedness cannot decrease it then how come Imam Baqar(a) said that sins would decrease rizq? another contradiction!

Either the tradition that I have quoted is right or yours is right but both cannot be true unless in all of these quotes Rizq is being taken in different meanings (other than food and shelter etc.)

You are right about the 'good people dying under oppression' thing but that matter is less serious because Allah has not taken the responsibility of protecting good people from worldly/materialistic harm...but in case of Rizq it seems like Allah has indeed taken complete responsibility...so i think this matter is far more serious.

As for the 'rizq is up' that crossed my mind too but I don't think that is a sensible explanation...I think that would imply irresponsibility and injustice from God's part because the playing field does not remain level...When you guarantee something then that is like a commitment...It is just like i guarantee my child that I will bear his education expenses and i ask him that you need to work hard on being a good student but then after some time I stop paying for his school and the school kicks him out...and i say that 'that is enough of your education'..

As for 'poverty' I agree that it can be a test but we are not discussing poverty here, are we?...being poor is another thing and being so poor that you don't survive is another thing...we are discussing the latter one.

You have misunderstood that verse. It doesn't guarantee a lower limit of sustenance at all. A person living in poverty is completely in conformity with the verse that you quoted.

At least two other things you need take into consideration:

1, Narrations tell us that there are two types of rizq: 1, One which is guaranteed. 2, One which you strive for.

Know it well, son, that there are two kinds of livelihood: one which you are searching for and the other which follows you (which has been destined for you). It will reach you even if you do not try to obtain it.

http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/Nahjul-Balagha-Letters/nahjul-balagha-letter-31.html

2, The principle of bada'. This changes even that which we may consider guaranteed. 

i've often wondered the same thing, myself...

@ repentant;

i can provide verses from quran, as well as narrations that  state the exact opposite (in two ways); 1- that the "better" you become the more difficult your "tests" become, and the less rizq you will get. 2- the more one sins (or doesn't believe), the more luxuries god will give him in this world in order to "lure" them to hell, or more sin.

this is clearly a contradiction on god's part.

Your understanding is narrow and limited.

According to Islam there are are two types of hardships. Those that are tests and others that are punishments.

Tests are never more than what one can bear. They are the difficulties that increase when character increases.

Punishments occur due to sins. They also have different forms.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

You have misunderstood that verse. It doesn't guarantee a lower limit of sustenance at all. A person living in poverty is completely in conformity with the verse that you quoted.

isn't it a double-standard for god to say "the sustenance of all creatures is on me" but when we ask about very very poor (starving) people, or those who died from starvation, the answer is something like it's not god's problem, or he only guaranteed in certain circumstances, etc..

At least two other things you need take into consideration:

1, Narrations tell us that there are two types of rizq: 1, One which is guaranteed. 2, One which you strive for.

http://www.nahjulbalagha.org/Nahjul-Balagha-Letters/nahjul-balagha-letter-31.html

where is the the one that is guaranteed when people are starving? is it only guaranteed for rich people?

2, The principle of bada'. This changes even that which we may consider guaranteed. 

bada' is just another way of saying "there are no guarantees".

Your understanding is narrow and limited.

According to Islam there are are two types of hardships. Those that are tests and others that are punishments.

like i said, you can never win with god. you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. he only gives different names to each.

Tests are never more than what one can bear. They are the difficulties that increase when character increases.

Punishments occur due to sins. They also have different forms.

what about non-believers? why should they be tested? or maybe it's because of their "sins". like i said, there's a serious inconsistency here. why are some "kuffar" rich, and some poor? some healthy, and others ill? some happy and some miserable? they're all "kuffar" after all. the same applies to pious people. some are "pious" with comfortable lives, and some are "pious" with unbearable lives. what's up with that? no consistency. don't tell me "god knows best", "he works in mysterious ways", "maslaha", "hikma", etc..

Tests are never more than what one can bear.

i beg to differ. this is nothing but a massive unsubstantiated claim.

The summary of above arguments become:

Either the type of Rizq whose responsibility God has taken is different from food and shelter

or

By 'responsibility', God means that He will capacitate the earth to sustain all life contained in it but 'responsibility' does not mean that He will make sure that the morsel of bread reaches the mouth of every person thus leaving room for human injustice preventing food from reaching the poor

Kindly do share any traditions of Rizq you know of which could clarify this problem.

Has anyone heard the story that once Imam Ali(a) was going somewhere and someone in His way asked Him where He was going, He told the man that He was going to distribute rizq...the man said that would the rizq reach every creature?...Imam Ali(a) said yes...when Imam Ali(a) left, the man captured an ant in a jar so that he may challenge Imam Ali(a) that rizq did not reach this ant...after some time when Imam Ali(a) was coming back the man asked Him if the rizq has been distributed to all creatures..Imam Ali(a) said yes...when the man took the jar out of his pocket he saw that there was sugar in the mouth of ant....

Has anyone else heard this story and can anyone validate it?

I read the sermon and found what you were referring to...do you know of any tradition that further explains these two types of rizq?

The summary of above arguments become:

Either the type of Rizq whose responsibility God has taken is different from food and shelter

or

By 'responsibility', God means that He will capacitate the earth to sustain all life contained in it but 'responsibility' does not mean that He will make sure that the morsel of bread reaches the mouth of every person thus leaving room for human injustice preventing food from reaching the poor

In my opinion both are incorrect - especially the second.

The first needs evidence for it to exclude food and shelter. The apparent meaning cannot exclude that type of rizq.

The second is incorrect because it goes against the central Islamic teaching that God decrees everything. Its has the same principles of the free will defence which is used to solve the problem of evil. It is the most popular defence, but it is weak. There are better ones.

You have assumed that God must unconditionally give a certain amount of sustenance to all creatures. The sentence should not be understood in that way. It is God's responsibility to give sustenance and He is the source of all of it, but it must be the right amount in each case. 

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Salaam

Bare minimum sustenance is promised.

Deeds increase or decrease it.

Bare minimum sustenance reaches even when Allah distances Himself from the person.

As for those dying of poverty, it could be their punishment (azaab), test or the way their end is written.

Birth death sustenance is determined when soul is entered in the womb. It's destiny and destiny can be changed by prayers or made worse by amaal (acts)

Edited by insearchoflight

Salaam

Bare minimum sustenance is promised.

Deeds increase or decrease it.

Bare minimum sustenance reaches even when Allah distances Himself from the person.

As for those dying of poverty, it could be their punishment (azaab), test or the way their end is written.

Salam,

Or Eternal Rizq in the here after in exchange for maximum 120 years life span on earth.

Edited by tendersoul