Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Iraq Vs Syria Casualties

Rate this topic

Haji 2003

• Forum Administrators

​According to the BBC, between 2003 and 2011:

About half a million people died in Iraq as a result of war-related causes between the US-led invasion in 2003 and mid-2011, an academic study suggests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24547256

In an unrelated article the BBC says:

More than 250,000 Syrians have been killed and a million injured. Some 11 million others have been forced from their homes, of whom four million have fled abroad - including growing numbers who are making the dangerous journey to Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34419003

The 250k figure is often used by critics of Assad to claim how damaging his rule has been. 

What I think is remarkable is that Syria is way smaller than Iraq and the conflict has been going on for half as long and neither side has the powerful weapons that the Americans did when they invaded Iraq.

In summary, I think if 250k is realistic for Syria, Iraq must be higher than 500k. Or if we accept 500k for Iraq, Syria must be less than 250k.
Edited by Haji 2003

• Veteran Member

From what I am aware the 250K figure is peddled by the SOHR guy. 

One of the verbatim AFP reports in the indian "Economic times" mentioning the 250k figure.

Also, in Iraq, the war lasted for a short time.

After that it was mostly suicide(?) bombings in mainly shia neighbourhoods that killed most people out of the total.

It was not until 2006-07 that the shia militias bombed the American Humvees regularly, that they decided to end/draw down the occupation.

I am not sure of the 500k iraqi figure, but the suffering and grief was of the 500k level or more.

Hopefully someone can point out some credible sources so that we can mourn in peace.

• 4 weeks later...

SOHR is a joke and is anti-asad, also according to SOHR the majority of the Syrians killed were militants, 70k out of the 250k were civillians. The rest were fighters who died fighting in the country.

Not to mention that many of the so called "fighters" aren't even Syrian.

Edited by Abu-Jafar Herz