Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

If You Do Not Vote, Do Not Complain.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I just went and voted advanced polls for the upcoming Canadian elections, it was my first time as I got the citizenship last year, lets just say I was treated like a celebrity.

There were no line ups as it was advanced polls, but quite a few people got standard 'k thx bye' treatment, but every single worker smiled, greeted, stood up and thanked me, every single person, like damn, felt awesome.

Mainly because I am the under 30 demographic and a Muslim, a combination that votes the lowest either way. 

If you vote, they see your riding and take demographic studies (ethnicity/race/age) very, very seriously. As you vote, your name gets crossed off, these lists are taken to the Government and studies are done to see which demographic is politically active, and voices their opinion, those who do are greatly favoured, those who don't are forgotten as there is not any incentive for the politicians to cater to you.

For instance the under 30 demographic (18-30) is notorious to not vote for a number of stupid reasonings, and this demographic is the one that is the future yet keeps getting swept off in government policies. My University and all others in the city join up in their thousands clog up downtown every fall and yell to the max to lower the ever rising tuition fees, falls of deaf years with a statement from the Premier stating 'ok thanks, now open up downtown and shush'.

The under 30 goes out of their way to voice these opinions, have demonstrations and what not, but come time to vote .. silence, no wonder the issues are as it is. 

Think about it, you are a manager at work, those who voice their opinions on changing company policies, you are to cater to them and try to get them on your side through mutual agreement that benefits both, those who are unsatisfied but stay silent always, you would ignore them for the most part - basic human nature, that's the politician approach as well. 

Now unfortunately Muslims are one of the lowest demographic to vote as well, yet constantly complain, how about we make a difference so that politicians cater to us. There are a few ridings were Muslims vote more than regularly, and those get Masjids and other demands, but usually we don't, and it makes sense to bite us. 

This is a really good glass-root organization: http://www.canadianmuslimvote.ca/ - check it out, interesting statistics in there. 

The Jews for instance do vote, Catholics as well, so their rights are rightly granted, additionally the Sikhs are being very active in politics, now you see various Sikh MPs, and their rights are protected as well, which is only just. Us Muslims are way behind, so it is essential that we do voice our opinions on this platform as now is the opportunity. Does not matter who you vote, just vote to get in on those statistics, so our needs are met. If not, then well, you never voted. 

In short: If you don't vote, don't complain. 

• Veteran Member

Who will you vote for? All the candidates are clowns on foreign policy. Justin Trudeau supports bill c-51 and wants legalize marijuana, not to mention his liberal party is very pro homo. Harper has shown his inability to boost the economy. has shown his hypocrisy by trying to initiate a bill that doesn't let you boycott Israeli products but has no problem with the disrespecting of Islam (clearly). Tim Mulclair has a separatist ideology (good bye Quebec and the international port in Montreal), nuff said. The Green Party will never win enough seats. Who should we vote for? In my opinion the provincial elections and municipal elections are the only elections that we can use to benefit our communities.

I will not be voting for any of them.

• Veteran Member

Yeah I'll be sure to vote...

NOT

I echo the sentiments of br Syed Dynasty; local elections can be more impactful. National or parliamentary elections are worth dirty socks. (unless there is a decent third party candidate like a Ross Perot or Ron Paul, but unfortunately they have no chance of winning so it's all a symbolic gesture, really).

But the problem with voting in the local elections (for me personally) is that I don't follow local politics. Everyone where I live is mentally diseased, anyway, so I don't care so much. Unless they are voting on legislation that requires that everyone who complains about rain be sentenced to death by dehydration.

• Advanced Member

Unless they are voting on legislation that requires that everyone who complains about rain be sentenced to death by dehydration.

I always vote. I won't vote for that. In those cases, I believe in summary executions on the spot. No legislation needed.

• Development Team

I always vote. I won't vote for that. In those cases, I believe in summary executions on the spot. No legislation needed.

Well, I guess I am sentenced to the horrible death of dehydration, because I don't like rain, feels like it burns my skin. Everybody thought I was delusional for a while but they don't have ultra sensitive skin.

Although, not ideal, I am going to have to vote for Bernie Sanders because he is the closest to my values with social security, women's rights and protecting minorities from police brutality.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar
  • Advanced Member

There is a reason why minorities such as Jews are very influential in many countries, they have a high turnout of voters thus politicians cater to them. If you want a better life for Muslims in your country, then you must vote. Otherwise politicians will know that they can mistreat you and their careers will be fine because its not like you are going to vote for anyone else.