Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Does Allah Test People?

Rate this topic

DnA

• Advanced Member

Without going into too much depth. since birth up till now I've been having struggles (i don't really wanna talk about it publicly), they've effected me greatly up till now, and I'm starting to wonder whether god has been testing me for my whole life, without going onto the struggles, it was very troubling when I was growing up, and even now don't feel too happy, the only thing that I say does generally bring an understanding to my life is religion.

but there is one question Allah testing me, and why? Everyone around the world is struggling, I understand, I mean look at people from Syria and Iraq, but sometimes I feel like my own personal struggles are from god, however I don't know why Allah would want to test me, what could be Allah reasons for testing people, it doesn't make me weaker in belief, but stronger I guess, knowing that if there are problems, atleast Allah will be there.

• Moderators

Salam, "Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, 'We believe,' and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false" (Quran, 29: 2-3).

“Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil) but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Those who, when misfortune strikes them, say: ‘Indeed we belong to Allah and to Him is our return. Those are the ones upon whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord and it is those who are rightly guided.” [sûrah al-Baqarah: 155]

• Advanced Member

Salam, "Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, 'We believe,' and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false" (Quran, 29: 2-3).

“Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods, lives and the fruits (of your toil) but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere. Those who, when misfortune strikes them, say: ‘Indeed we belong to Allah and to Him is our return. Those are the ones upon whom are blessings and mercy from their Lord and it is those who are rightly guided.” [sûrah al-Baqarah: 155]

thank you starlight, I've been tested from the very beginning of life, but my belief in Islam wasn't strong, it's only after recent events which made my beliefs stronger, i hope things get better but i'll accept it if Allah tests me more, heres hoping it makes me a stronger person.

Edited by DnA

• Moderators

I think so to, but what about those who are born wealthy?

Having enormous amount of wealth is a test too... How and where they choose spend it?

Do they fulfill the monetary Islamic obligations, khums ,zakat and hajj?

Do they fulfill their responsibilities towards those who are less fortunate?

Also people with more money are at a higher risk of indulging in certain haram acts.

Edited by starlight

Having enormous amount of wealth us a test too... How and where they choose spend it? Do they fulfill the monetary Islamic obligations, khums ,zakat and hajj? Do they fulfill their responsibilities towards those who are less fortunate?

People with more money are at a higher risk of indulging in certain haram acts.

Salam,

Indeed, it is even a bigger test.

Without going into too much depth. since birth up till now I've been having struggles (i don't really wanna talk about it publicly), they've effected me greatly up till now, and I'm starting to wonder whether god has been testing me for my whole life, without going onto the struggles, it was very troubling when I was growing up, and even now don't feel too happy, the only thing that I say does generally bring an understanding to my life is religion.

but there is one question Allah testing me, and why? Everyone around the world is struggling, I understand, I mean look at people from Syria and Iraq, but sometimes I feel like my own personal struggles are from god, however I don't know why Allah would want to test me, what could be Allah reasons for testing people, it doesn't make me weaker in belief, but stronger I guess, knowing that if there are problems, atleast Allah will be there.

great question... i never completely understood until i heard these 2 lectures... they literally blew my mind and i felt i understood why Allah swt tests us... also, don't think that wealth people are not being tested, their test is harder in my opinion since they more opportunities to fulfill their desires and go towards sin! i've watched these lectures 2 to 3 times now... absolutely love his style and wisdom:

Part 1

Part 2

• Advanced Member

great question... i never completely understood until i heard these 2 lectures... they literally blew my mind and i felt i understood why Allah swt tests us... also, don't think that wealth people are not being tested, their test is harder in my opinion since they more opportunities to fulfill their desires and go towards sin! i've watched these lectures 2 to 3 times now... absolutely love his style and wisdom:

Part 1

Part 2

Just watched part 1, going to watch part 2 but thanks! wow, thank you for this,this was very informative, I realised a lot from this video, we will always have test in life, whether they are Good or Bad, without tests we wouldn't be alive, but the test is to test us and our faith in god, Allah does not think it is right for us to only have one test then live life, we will have tests our whole lives to prove ourselfs, tests grant us wisdom, these then better ourself and our lives,

Edited by DnA

Salam,

I shall share what I learnt from my teacher.

Not all tests are directly from Allah. There are situations in life which is not what Allah directly puts us in but the circumstances in Dunya has made us face such problems.

However enduring and having patience in times of diffulty for regular believers entails rewards and washes away sins .

As for those who aim to achieve higher spiritual levels like the prophets and Imams ,and have passed the stage of sinning, they were directly tested by Allah , and were raised in status.

Like the test of Ibrahim to sacrifice his son Ismail, and many other prophets some passed some did not.

Another example is the test of Prophet Moses and Khizr ( a.s )

Prophet moses could not endure and did not pass the test .

And many other examples.

• Advanced Member

"Allah doesn't burden a soul beyond that it can bear." ~ Surah Albaqarah, Verse 286. 

Ayatollah Shirazi briefly touched on this point in his book titled "Greater Sins." Calamities and hardships erase a person's sins, which is why Allah puts these trials (especially) on the people who sin among the followers of the Ahlul Bayt (AS). This way they won't face as much punishment in Barzakh. 

If you need the exact source/wording I can provide that for you. I just happen to not have the book with me ATM.

• Advanced Member

"Allah (SWT) did not create man so that he could have fun. The aim of creation was for mankind to be put to the test through hardship and prayer."

-Ayatollah Khomeini (RA)

• Advanced Member

Part 1

Part 2

Salam,

I watched these two lectures, and they are great. Thanks for sharing!

• Advanced Member

Salam.

I loved reading through all replies here. They seem to be all valid :D

God says he doesn't leave us with things we can't handle in the Quran. In my opinion, most hardships are consequences of human actions- murder, rape, disasters etc. Some things are out of hour hand (congenital conditions, climate and natural disasters), that's true. But again, where you are and what you have should never define who you are or how you should feel. Whenever I feel upset, I smile. The worse I feel, the bigger the smile. I hate feeling upset, it's not worth it. If I die, whether I feel I will be put in hell or heaven, I want my life to be full of smiles/laughter. 

Everyone's "normal" is different. Once you realise this, I believe you can learn to be happy (especially if you stop comparing). You can't walk? If every human on earth couldn't walk- ever- would you still feel as sad? I wouldn't think so. Because it'd be normal not to walk. We can't fly. Does this upset us? No. Because it's how our bodies were meant to be, it's normal. I'm sorry if this was insensitive, but it makes sense to me.

This would be applicable if the hardship is from you. Now watching your child/loved one die due to famine/poverty, for example, that's the worst! But again, this is our fault. We have enough food in the world to feed everyone and enough money to help everyone. We're greedy. If your land is infertile- emigrate. But with immigration laws, borders. travel expenses etc.- that's made almost impossible. 

Death is nothing bad. We all die, that's the only thing definite in life. If a parent or child dies- it's not unfair. It might hurt you- definitely would- but it's not forever. 

But why does he test us? I always asked myself, if someone were to ask me "Knowing what you know, would you rather have not existed?" what would I say? No, I would still want to exist. I may cry 9 times, but it's all worth it for the one laugh. Sure the world is full of bad, but there's good too- perhaps just as much. Plus there are things we cannot comprehend. Have you heard of Khidr's story? The man who sank a ship and killed a little boy, apparently without reason? Read the story: 

Moses said to him (Khidr) "May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allah)?"

He (Khidr) said: "Verily! You will not be able to have patience with me! And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not?"

Moses said: "If Allah will, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught."

He (Khidr) said: "Then, if you follow me, ask me not about anything till I myself mention it to you.

So they both proceeded, till, when they were in the ship, he (Khidr) scuttled it. Moses said: "Have you scuttled it in order to drown its people? Verily, you have done Imra - a Munkar (evil, bad, dreadful) thing."

He (Khidr) said: "Did I not tell you, that you would not be able to have patience with me?"

(Moses) said: "Call me not to account for what I forgot, and be not hard upon me for my affair (with you)."

Then they both proceeded, till they met a boy, he (Khidr) killed him. Moses said: "Have you killed an innocent person who had killed none? Verily, you have done Nukra a great Munkar (prohibited, evil, dreadful) thing!"

(Khidr) said: "Did I not tell you that you can have no patience with me?"

(Moses) said: "If I ask you anything after this, keep me not in your company, you have received an excuse from me."

Then they both proceeded, till, when they came to the people of a town, they asked them for food, but they refused to entertain them. Then they found therein a wall about to collapse and he (Khidr) set it up straight. (Moses) said: "If you had wished, surely you could have taken wages for it!"

(Khidr) said: "This is the parting between me and you. I will tell you the interpretation of (those) things over which you were unable to hold patience.

'As for the ship, it belonged to poor people working in the sea. So I wished to make a defective damage in it, as there was a king after them who seized every ship by force.

"And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared lest he should oppress them by rebellion and disbelief. So we intended that their Lord should change him for them for one better in righteousness and near to mercy.

"And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the town; and there was under it a treasure belonging to them; and their father was a righteous man, and your Lord intended that they should attain their age of full strength and take out their treasure as a mercy from your Lord. And I did it not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of those (things) over which you could not hold patience. Surah 18: 60-82

edit: website used- http://www.alim.org/library/biography/stories/content/SOP/7/17/Musa%20(Moses)/The%20Story%20Moses%20and%20Al-Khidr%20

There could be many reasons that we can't realise. Just as asked of Moses (pbuh) we need to be patient, God loves the patient. I'm sure it will all be crystal clear for all of us on the Day :) 

Edited by NoorA.95

• Veteran Member

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoFuY2cbys

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm7ntM-gemk

He said in third lecture he will tell how can we make our tests easier. Can you please post the third lecture if you have it?

He said in third lecture he will tell how can we make our tests easier. Can you please post the third lecture if you have it?

unfortunately the 3rd lecture was never posted by the channel. this is the original channel responsible for translating and uploading the lectures... i would recommend leaving a comment on their page requesting for the 3rd lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJm6FYjzlsYnkJgsowXPjtg

• Forum Administrators

If you have faced hardship and consider that a test, consider that ease and luxury may be a test for the person who has them. They may feel that they were given temptations that you were not.