Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
~ThePond~

Final Project For Enlightenment: Karbala

Rate this topic

Salaam Alaikum dear brothers and sister:

I am currently enrolled in a course in my university called: Pathways to Enlightenment. This is a required senior seminar course, but the specific topic/course focus was allowed to be selected by us. For this class I am to write a 20 page research paper on a topic of my choice.

​Here is a description of the topic:

Research Paper:  Students choose their own area of interest that emerges from (or merges with) the course theme of Enlightenment, and then write a series of four 5 page essays that will eventually form into a whole.  Think of this as a book with a title that includes the word Enlightenment, and then chapters that indicate an engagement with the different disciplinary lenses we’ve been using.  These papers require a use of common course readings AND original research materials. The chapters will need to be revised in order to create a fully coherent whole turned in during the final exam period colloquium.  Conferences with me throughout the writing process are required.

For my topic, I decided I will be focusing on the topic of Karbala and Muharram, and how this is a sort of "enlightenment" particularly for Shiite Muslims.  Since I will need to look at the topic through a historical lens, I was wondering if anyone could provide me to some academic, well-researched articles pertaining to the topic of Karbala, and perhaps the history of Islam following the death of Muhammad pbuh. I know there are many, many resources out there; therefore, I was wondering if any brothers or sisters knew some great works on the topics of the history of Karbala, or a general history following Muhammad's death, a general timeline, etc. etc. All resources would be greatly appreciated.

Salaam.

Also Fanar Haddad's book, 'Sectarianism in Iraq' will help with research on Karbala, its history and legacy. 

you could also look at 'Shiite Identity in Early Islam' by Maria Dakake.  i think there is a section on Karbala.