Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
sidnaq

Being Spiritually Elevated By Sunni Speakers.

Rate this topic

I guess my problem began a few years back

You see I was not a pious muslim, and I was you know use to pass time in things like music ,etc and I was nota happy person. Until suddenly I got an illness,and when I had this illness I coldnt do anything, literally except listen to Islamic videos.but during that time I listened to sunniislamic preachers such as nouman ali khan yasmin mogahed, yusuf estes etc.and I was quite content with thembecause they were great motivational speakers and I found a great deal ofinterest in islam again. Even two years later after I stopped listening to sunni speakers I still regain certaingood points they made about how your deen is important to your faith.One day, my pious shia friend,her reaction when she heard I was listening to sunni speakers was not good.i could tell she wasn’t happy with it.and for some reason that made me quite discontented,and I tried it was hard but I tried switiching from sunni to shia speakers and although I found some good videos, and one speaker hassanainrajabali its still not enough for me because idont get that feeling of deen so much from listening to shia videos than I do with sunni videos.for starters I tried everything.giving up listening to sunni speakers only listening to shia , sticking thru majlises, patiently repeating this process saying I will get used to the speakers etc, but even after two years I dontknow hat it is but ifeel I just am not so happy with the shia deen and that gets me scared.please don’t get me wrong I found some really wonderful articles written by our sheikhs and Ayatollahs about a different aspects of islam I needed to know, such as forgivessness, hell, heaven death why is it important etc etc, but I still don’t feel, I just don’t know what to do.i feel like my deen is slipping away.i sometimes thinkabout going back and listening to the sunni speakers just to elevate my deen ,because the topics they were talking about were about how to become a better muslim, how is deen important to you, etc not against the ahlulbayt’s teachings or anything fundamentalist.but at times, it is hard to liste to sunni speakers because well we don’t rely upon their tafseers or hadiths,etc and I am getting better by going to a shia counselor ,a faith based counselor I would like to hear other shias opinions on this.And I am hoping they would be nice or thoughtful. 

i am not writing this post to say shia speakers arent worth it or anything, but i just wanted if there ere other shias who might have gone thru similar problems and to sget their opinions on the matter and also to see if this may need bigger importance in the shia community.Although i would like to say that shia based counselling services are what saved my life i would still like to get opinions of others

Our religion is not defined by our scholars or speakers, it's defined by Quran and Ahlulbayt. 

Bring any Sunni Du'a like the quality of du'as passed down by our Imams.

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

I guess my problem began a few years back

You see I was not apious muslim, and I was you know use to pass tie in things like music ,etc and I was nota happy person. Until suddenly I got an illness,and when I had this illness I coldnt do anything, literally except listen to Islamic videos.but during that time I listened to sunniislamic preachers such as nouman ali khan yasmin mogahed, yusuf estes etc.and I was quite content with thembecause they were great motivational speakers and I found a great deal ofinterest in islam again. Even two years later after I stopped listening to sunni speakers I still regain certaingood points they made about how your deen is important to your faith.One day, my pious shia friend,her reaction when she heard I was listening to sunni speakers was not good.i could tell she wasn’t happy with it.and for some reason that made me quite discontented,and I tried it was hard but I tried switiching from sunni to shia speakers and although I found some good videos, and one speaker hassanainrajabali its still not enough for me because idont get that feeling of deen so much from listening to shia videos than I do with sunni videos.for starters I tried everything.giving up listening to sunni speakers only listening to shia , sticking thru majlises, patiently repeating this process saying I will get used to the speakers etc, but even after two years I dontknow hat it is but ifeel I just am not so happy with the shia deen and that gets me scared.please don’t get me wrong I found some really wonderful articles written by our sheikhs and Ayatollahs about a different aspects of islam I needed to know, such as forgivessness, hell, heaven death why is it important etc etc, but I still don’t feel, I just don’t know what to do.i feel like my deen is slipping away.i sometimes thinkabout going back and listening to the sunni speakers just to elevate my deen ,because the topics they were talking about were about how to become a better muslim, how is deen important to you, etc not against the ahlulbayt’s teachings or anything fundamentalist.but at times, it is hard to liste to sunni speakers because well we don’t rely upon their tafseers or hadiths,etc and I am getting better by going to a shia counselor ,a faith based counselor I would like to hear other shias opinions on this.And I am hoping they would be nice or thoughtful. 

i am not writing this post to say shia speakers arent worth it or anything, but i just wanted if there ere other shias who might have gone thru similar problems and to sget their opinions on the matter and also to see if this may need bigger importance in the shia community.Although i would like to say that shia based counselling services are what saved my life i would still like to get opinions of others

What Kind of topics  was you listening to? If you don't mind me asking....

I can't see a problem as long as you have prior basic knowledge on the topics of the talks you are listening to, just incase you dont get misguided on topics which sunnis and shias disagree on. whatever you learn from the sunni talkers you should always double check in the shia school to make sure the truth is not something different. but as long as the topics are basic ones about faith/ deen etc then there shouldnt be much of a problem.

due to some issues i often attend a sunni masjid , I listen to the khutbas but I always know in the back of my head don't blindly believe everything this guy is saying. and obviously i dont agree with anything which is said about certain caliphs.

I can't see a problem as long as you have prior basic knowledge on the topics of the talks you are listening to, just incase you dont get misguided on topics which sunnis and shias disagree on. whatever you learn from the sunni talkers you should always double check in the shia school to make sure the truth is not something different. but as long as the topics are basic ones about faith/ deen etc then there shouldnt be much of a problem.

due to some issues i often attend a sunni masjid , I listen to the khutbas but I always know in the back of my head don't blindly believe everything this guy is saying. and obviously i dont agree with anything which is said about certain caliphs.

Due to the lack of a Shia community; I also attend Sunni masjid but I do it ever so wearily and hesitantly. I do not have any Shia friends (my husband doesn't count), and all my muslims sisters are Sunni so they always bring me to a Sunni masjid (I've never asked them to attend a Shia one in a city an hour away because I am scared they will say no). The only masjid close by is rather ~terrifying~ if you so will.  I suspect it is Salafi though it deems itself traditional (Maliki, Shafi, Hanbali, Hanafi -- one of those I suppose). Whenever I pray there I notice older woman looking bizarrely at me for having my hands placed at my side. During the khutbahs I am always a tad nervous they will talk about Shiites as "kafirs" or something of the sort.  I had all these initial fears but now I know I am not delusional. Recently, I heard that a man approached someone I knew (he's Sunni) about "going to Syria," which terrified him all together.  This is why I am too scared to return in fear that I will be fresh, easy jihad :/

I generally do not watch Sunni speakers unless I 100% know the topic is about deen or general faith. I used to watch the Deen Show only to horrifically find out they basically called the Shia school "kafir." I suggest being wary, and perhaps sticking to speakers talking about marriage, relationship with Allah swt, and the sort. You never know what sort of salafism is ~~lurking~~ out there on the inter webs.

Edited by ~ThePond~

^You should really be concerned about your safety, I wouldn't let anyone know that I am shia in that sort of an environment.

I don't think folding your hands would invalidate your prayer, especially for safety reasons.

I do not go to this mosque any longer, but I thought perhaps they would just think I am a Maliki Sunni. I placed my forehead on the backs of my hands because I would never bring a turbah to that place let's be realistic lol. I've also never brought a turbah to any Sunni mosque no matter how open it seems, being surrounded by Saudis at university makes me incredibly wary

Edited by ~ThePond~

Salam Alaykum,

I can testify myself that having grown up in an Islamic school (a "Sunni" one), attending Friday prayers (at "Sunni") masajid), learning how to pronounce correctly the Arabic reading of the Quran as well as learning Islamic studies  (from "Sunni" teachers)--- that I am at the religious level that I am today--all while being ardently proud of being a Shia Ithna Ashari. If anything it has made me a stronger Shia...why? The reason is because in those areas where we do have differences of opinion, I now know both sides of the opinion. How do you effectively engage in a debate? By knowing exactly where your opponent is coming from, so that you have effective counterarguments. Don't get me wrong--I was getting my fair dose of Shia Islam throughout the years from our own scholars as well--so it really balanced out my learning process and my overall understanding of our Deen. Because here's the fact...there's more Sunni brothers and sisters than there are of us. They have more resources, they have more masajid, they have more programs---awesome programs designed for the youth that really get to the core of the challenges that we face as Muslims growing up in the west. They have*amazing* summer camps and Quran Competition programs. They have organizations in place to help us learn and defend our rights...case in point: CAIR helped my local community to legally defend our right to build a ("Shia") masjid on land that we bought after the racist neighbors successfully prevented us legally from doing so in the first place. 

Ask any Shia scholar, and they will tell you that Ahle-Sunnat (Sunnis) are our brothers and sisters in faith and deserve our utmost respect. Why would Imam Khomeini issue a fatwa that praying behind Sunni people is acceptable? All of our scholars have prohibited us from disrespecting sahabi or figures in history that they revere in their presence---even though we have a totally different view of them based on what we know to have actually happened in history. This means that you educate yourself--that you know where our differences lie in and why we differ. This does not mean that you have to believe in every Hadith and every statement that they say. However, for the parts of our Deen that are relevant to each other---and there is a lot of relevant territory---we should learn learn and take from one another. 

To illustrate how simple of a case this is--think of of someone who made a difference in history--someone who's respected in their wisdom...like Nelson Mandela. If I'm inspired by something I learned from this individual, does that strip me of being a good Shia, just because he's not? Obviously not....I learn from him the aspects that I can relate to my own life, and that's it. 

Whoever said that engaging with Sunni people or learning from them is wrong? I would say that whoever says such things is going against the teachings and akhlaq of our Ahle Bayt. In fact, this is the day and age where we NEED to engage with each other as much as possible. Our enemies are the ones that want us to create Sunni-Shia tensions to weaken us. Obviously, there's a fine line of a difference between the Wahhabis and Sunnis...please exercise caution with whom you share your Shia identity with. What I find is that a good number of Sunnis aren't necessarily hateful, but just ignorant about what our beliefs really are about --they think we're crazy people that beat themselves and cut themselves with knives and get bloody---do a google search on Shia and the first images that pop up are of crazy people that call themselves Shia, supposedly doing these acts for Muharram. So please understand that there's a lot of misinformation out there unfortunately--but do not deprive yourself of the resources that we do have. That's the least you can do for yourself!

Sorry for the long ramble, but this issue is near and dear to my heart:)  

As long as you realize their scholars are not people of Taqwa and Iman spoken in Quran, and not upon the chosen path of submission to God, then it's fine. If you start thinking they are, you are seriously confused.

I myself personally consider myself free from them.  They very well understand the message of ghadeer and know better.  I don't consider their scholars brothers or sisters, nor hope for them mercy in the next world until they submit to Wilayah of Ali and the Successors.

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

amazing, this is simply amazing, i am so thankful to all of your responses, you are all amazing ,thank you so much for being kind to me.oh by the way someone asked me what lectures i was listening to earlier and well there were videos from a sunni source on youtube called islamic light i think i cant remember the name, and well as any lectures two years ago by speakers nouman ali khan ,yasmin mogahed etc.  but still i would like to humbly thank you all for your responses you were so kind to me ,May Allah bless you all and keep us on His true path, and good followers of the ahlulbayt(A.S)

Haydar husayn,youre right i wasnt listening to glorifications on umar abu bakr, just lectures about the khushoo in salah,forgiveness in islam,importance of God ,heaven hell, general topics, but the problems started when i realised i may not be able to completely rely upon their tafseers or hadiths

I do not go to this mosque any longer, but I thought perhaps they would just think I am a Maliki Sunni. I placed my forehead on the backs of my hands because I would never bring a turbah to that place let's be realistic lol. I've also never brought a turbah to any Sunni mosque no matter how open it seems, being surrounded by Saudis at university makes me incredibly wary

You could just place both your hands on your chest but seperated. I think that is legit for shia women.

brothers of shia,nothibg wrong in being elevated by a sunni speaker,take the good and leave tge rest. I as a sunni,myself love listening to Sayed ammar nakshwani (a gem from the shia community). specially his opening with verses fron the quran,followed by beautiful salawat recitations. MashAllah, this man has read the noble Quran and speaks sense.

Guest Aaaaaaaa—

I personally had some trouble finding Shia speakers who inspire or match my intellectual capacity.. I suggest browsing on Youtube because theres lots of resources available. I would suggest Sheikh Ammar Nakshwani (English) Sheikh Mohammed Hilli (English) Sheikh Ali Raza Rizvi (Urdu). They all have really good practical advice and knowledge. Although Sunni speakers have more charisma, its important to not passively accept and do your own research.

Traditional Sunni scholars (Not Saudi influenced ones) speak a lot of truth.  They represent Islamic Orthodoxy.  The attraction people find in them is because of how much closer they are to the Truth.

Shia scholars usually mix truth with falsehood.  They need charisma to keep an audience.  if it were not for their charisma they would lose everyone.  Shia lectures are more of a show.  

Anyway, this is my personal experience.  and God knows Best.

1 minute ago, eThErEaL said:

Shia scholars usually mix truth with falsehood.  They need charisma to keep an audience.  if it were not for their charisma they would lose everyone.  Shia lectures are more of a show.  

It’s your beloved Sunni speakers that are famous on Internet  that are mixing truth with falsehood & praise cursed muawiah (la) & Yazeed (la) that you posted their videos while they were praising these cursed persons.

21 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Traditional Sunni scholars (Not Saudi influenced ones) speak a lot of truth.  They represent Islamic Orthodoxy.  The attraction people find in them is because of how much closer they are to the Truth.

Anyway, this is my personal experience.  and God knows Best.

Sunni scholars say a lot of contradictory stuff too.

Cue the Islamqa.info fatwas:

image.thumb.png.4b2db8f79819015bb4517ee16429ed18.png

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2896/what-ruling-on-killing-mice-and-rats-and-a-comment-on-the-character-mickey-mouse

^^ Notice this doesn't explain the love for shows like Tom and Jerry in the Gulf, I literally grew up seeing that everywhere in malls in Saudi. But, my point is that "Western animation" isn't a hivemind of ideas, you have itchy and scratchy, Tom and Jerry, Ratatouille, An American Tail, Stuart Little, Master Splinter from the ninja turtles, all shows that kids love.

But you also have "people in the west" writing material where rodents are actually villains. For example, Graveyard Shift by Stephen King, featuring killer rats, you have Cujo, which features killer dogs, In Disney you have the Mouse Queen who is a villain.

My point being that his fatwa on Mickey Mouse is absurd.

Second fatwa: Shias commit apostasy "for which they deserve to be executed" (https://islamqa.info/en/answers/60046/ruling-on-meat-slaughtered-by-the-shiah-raafidis)

This is obviously not true and is clearly ISIS ideology.

I really appreciate the "charismatic celebrity" speakers who present a sugar-coated version of religion. Right now, that's the most responsible thing to do, because scholars' words have become very powerful. Crazy people blindly follow speakers and listening to my resident aalim during last year has really destroyed my faith. I wish I could just stop listening to him but I know that his words will effect my life. That's why I keep listening but he literally makes my blood boil. I just want to tell people that if you think celebrity speakers don't have much content, you are wrong. They probably know how powerful their words are. Other scholars only present the ideology of political parties. Now I can tell which scholar belongs to PTI, or any other party just by listening to their speeches. If I was interested in Imran Khan's ideology, I would just listen to his speeches. I don't need religious speakers to repeat his words. 

Edited by rkazmi33