Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Food And Sharing.

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Ok so is there any rule that says a Muslim cannot eat any food after it has been touched by a Christian?

I ask this because all those who are around me who are "practicing Shia" do not eat any food that I have touched, even if it is halal food, or food they have prepared themselves. They will simply not have it anymore if I have touched it in any way shape or form, and they will most definitely not eat any food that I have offered them, though I have gone out of my way to prepare it cleanly (using utensils that are new or have not had non-halal foods on them), and in accordance with what is deemed "halal" and "clean". I am a clean person! Very clean!

I am confused by this, very confused by it. And the irony of it all is that they will consume chocolates and confectionery from a bag (but again if I have touched it or the food they won't), that is marked as halal, though I have pointed out to them numerous times that the people working in the factory are not all Muslim, nor are they even known to be entirely "clean".

So can anyone tell me what is up??

• Moderators

There isn't any such rule.Muslims can eat food prepared by the Ahle kitab(people of the book) as long as it does not contain any haram ingredient. These people around you seem ignorant.

Edited by starlight

• Veteran Member

that's what i know. Ahlul Kitab are pure when it comes to food as long as it is halal. Try to befriend another set of Shia.

We once were discussing an invite from person who isn't even from people of the book. She did buy new appliances , wore gloves all the time and bought halal food. 

We went for it!

• Veteran Member

Depends on your marjas ruling. For instance, ayatollah khomeini regarded all non muslims najis, while ayatollah khamenei says ahlulkitab are not najis.

But double check with your marja, that is what he is there for.

he isn't muslim.

also, some like ayt kho'e and i think khomaini require that people of the book to be believing in the prophet mohamad to be pure.

but in any case, if he is not touching the food at all that he made, will his food still be najis?

Plus even if he is najis, if he touched a food that is dry like bread or biscuit, this shouldn't turn it to najis. There was no wetness to transmit the najasah.

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

• Advanced Member

Ok so is there any rule that says a Muslim cannot eat any food after it has been touched by a Christian?

I ask this because all those who are around me who are "practicing Shia" do not eat any food that I have touched, even if it is halal food, or food they have prepared themselves. They will simply not have it anymore if I have touched it in any way shape or form, and they will most definitely not eat any food that I have offered them, though I have gone out of my way to prepare it cleanly (using utensils that are new or have not had non-halal foods on them), and in accordance with what is deemed "halal" and "clean". I am a clean person! Very clean!

I am confused by this, very confused by it. And the irony of it all is that they will consume chocolates and confectionery from a bag (but again if I have touched it or the food they won't), that is marked as halal, though I have pointed out to them numerous times that the people working in the factory are not all Muslim, nor are they even known to be entirely "clean".

I am so sorry to hear that and as a Muslim, I apologize to you for that

Hopefully, such a bad behavior toward you would not prevent you to seek the truth.

he isn't muslim.

also, some like ayt kho'e and i think khomaini require that people of the book to be believing in the prophet mohamad to be pure.

but in any case, if he is not touching the food at all that he made, will his food still be najis?

Plus even if he is najis, if he touched a food that is dry like bread or biscuit, this shouldn't turn it to najis. There was no wetness to transmit the najasah.

Ahh, didn't notice that he wasn't muslim.

That Mohammad(p.b.u.h) is never going to happen, it's not realistic in my head at least.

• Veteran Member

Hi LoneSoldier

Culture.

Depends what they've been taught.

5:5

This day [all] good foods have been made lawful, and the food of those who were given the Scripture is lawful for you and your food is lawful for them. 

It all looks pretty straightforward, but it depends who makes the rules according to the agenda at the time.

Centuries later we hang on for sake of tradition, and the separation it creates between sects, let alone religions.

I've experienced Christian churches who wouldn't accept fellowship with other Christians from other churches because of flimsy differences in belief. They'd eat with unbelievers first.

The idea of "unclean" is older than the Quran. Muslims don't wash their bowls and utensils seven times between uses, so the rules on cleanliness have obviously changed. It depends what your leader believes more than what's written. 

This is aparently refugees rejecting Christian food.

You Tube

If your Muslim friends don't throw your food away they at least have some respect.

Here's a dilemma for you.

All Muslims in North America should be vegetarians.

Halal meat vs American.

The difference starts at the slaughter. Halal is more ceremonial, razor sharp knife with a perfect edge, slit the throat while the animal is conscience, thanking Allah for the food. 

No ceremony in an American slaughter house, just slit the throat but stun the animal first. Matter of fact it's law the animal be stunned first.

This makes Halal meats ilegal in North America. 

Edited by Son of Placid

• Advanced Member

I am Sunni and its halal. Food made by Christians and Jews is halal for us since both religions thank Allah swt for the food they were given. I dont see why it would be haram? Food from Hindhu, Atheists is haraam.

• Veteran Member

Hello LoneSoldier,

I don't know what is up. I almost married a wonderful Sunni Muslim man who had immigrated to the USA from India. He would eat food I prepared, and he said it was perfectly fine for a Muslim to marry a Christian. Why would a Muslim man have a Christian wife and not eat what she prepares?

Now, I do remember something that I regret to this day. I had invited him to a church event with me. (This was around 10 years ago, when I wasn't taking my beliefs seriously but rather was a "backslidden Christian"). I had just started attending this church and this was the first time (and only time) he came with me.

So, everything went well till the banquet. And, guess what was in the food? Pork. Yeah. I didn't know that. i didn't think to call first to make sure there was no pork and that everything was kosher/halal. You should have seen my then-fiance's face turn from pleasant tolerance to utmost disgust when he saw the pork.

He refused to eat anything, and as far as I know, he never returned there again.

So, maybe the Muslims you know have had a similar experience and are suspicious?

Not every Christian eats pork. I don't, though I used to before I understood that it is good for Christians to obey the dietary laws God gave to the Children of Israel.

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

• Moderators

^ I don't understand his reaction upon seeing pork. He was there to attend a Christian gathering and most of the Christians eat pork. I wouldn't have eaten anything too unless I was sure of something being halal but it's certainly no reason to go from pleasant to disgusted.

• Development Team

Honestly, I don't know what is up but from the way you describe it, sounds like this is nothing more than immigrants being ignorant and totally ungrateful. You should see if you can meet different Shias, if it's any consolation to you, I eat food that my mother prepares and makes, and guess what? She is a Catholic Christian like yourself. Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

• Veteran Member

^ I don't understand his reaction upon seeing pork. He was there to attend a Christian gathering and most of the Christians eat pork. I wouldn't have eaten anything too unless I was sure of something being halal but it's certainly no reason to go from pleasant to disgusted.

Hello Starlight,

I think his reaction was due to shock. Also, I had already known that he doesn't eat pork, and he more than likely had trusted that I would have made sure they didn't serve pork. So, that was my fault. :(

However, he didn't get mad at me or ask me why I hadn't made sure or anything. When I told him I'm so sorry and I should have called first, he just said that's ok, and didn't mention anything about again. But, I knew better not to invite him to church anymore. When I saw his face and when he refused all food there, I knew there was no way he was coming back. 

Peace and God bless you

Food from Hindhu, Atheists is haraam.

Hello Dutch002,

Some Sunni Muslims from India eat vegetarian food that Hindus prepare. Is that against Islam?

Peace and God bless you

• Veteran Member

Culture...

I was in Costco one day when a lady offered a Muslim (of sorts) two platters with samples of stir fry. He asked if there was pork. She told him one was pork, the other was beef, but because they were made from the same company he wouldn't try either. His reaction was also disgust.

Maybe he knew how they cleaned the machines between animals. 

Regardless, a halal diet is better because it does not contain the canned, or boxed junk sold on shelves under the guise of food..