Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Walking is a good way to get fit and stay healthy. Post your steps, miles or kilometers. Please don't compare yourself to others. If you haven't been walking regularly, start with five minutes and try to do a little more each day. If you don't have a pedometer, google the distance you walked and compare to this chart:

[Mod Note: Broken image of chart was removed,]

Edited by Hameedeh
Mod Note

Since today is not over yet, I can't post today's steps.

I'm going to post the steps I walked yesterday. 1,595 steps.

InshaAllah tomorrow is Saturday so I will probably walk more.

But it won't show up until I post it on Sunday. ;)

On 9/19/2015 at 4:26 PM, notme said:

I think of walking as transportation, not exercise. My son told me his friend called him "weird" because he walks places.

That is weird since most people drive everywhere, I even drive to a store thats a few minutes away. Walking would be better health wise and cheaper lol

^ Sometimes people drive just because it saves them time. Three weeks ago I went for a 90 minute walk and I had 6000+ steps that day.

My steps for September 18 were 1588. :)

My today's walking distance: About 3 KM (from Google). That's the least amount I usually walk every day.

-----------

As for walking and transportation and apart from walking and health, walking also has many other overt and covert positive effects. It is a good solution for reducing the usage of vehicles and, as a result, reducing traffic jam, car accident, fuel consumption, air and noise pollution, waste of oil resources and cost/money. 

On 9/19/2015 at 4:26 PM, notme said:

I think of walking as transportation, not exercise. My son told me his friend called him "weird" because he walks places.

It's not weird, but that using car for every single movement and at the same time walking just for our health without going to a destination we need to go is weird. I mean instead of walking in streets just for the sake of our health we can walk (the entire path or at least a part of it) to the places such as work, university, school which we are obliged to go there. This way many transportation issues and problems like the ones mentioned above can be solved or reduced.

A few weeks ago we walked to our local public library. It isn't far, but there were no sidewalks. When we got there, I found a tick on my daughter. Fortunately it hadn't dug in yet, it was just on the surface of her skin, but still it was disgusting. We are a mile from a grocery store and less than a mile from library, community center, schools, playground, restaurants, and several small stores, but we have no sidewalk and we are close to highways. This place is very poorly designed for walking.

Should I design walking paths and submit them to the locality?

And bicycle paths as well.

Multi-use paths. But I don't know how much easement there is by the side of the road, and also environmental regulations could limit the feasibility of non-porous paved paths. I was thinking of gravel or porous pavement like an improved hiking trail. Can bikes run on those?