Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
LeftCoastMom

Question For Iranian Folks

Rate this topic

Thanks in advance.

My daughter is friends with some children of Iranian parents at the college ( brother and sister). They want to see Iran ( have never been) and reconnect with their extended family. The parents are throwing something of a fit about this and are refusing to cooperate in any way. This is becoming something of an issue in the family. Would there really be a problem for second generation Iranian-Americans to visit their country of origin? ( She says they speak the language fairly well) The parents seem to think " it is too dangerous".

Edited by LeftCoastMom

I wouldn't think so unless they are publicly associated with some Anti-regime gossip or agenda then there would be a real problem.  If they have any of there family serving in the US military that could be problem. A while ago an Iranian-American who was a soldier in the US military when visiting Iran on a family trip got put into solitary confinement accused of being a CIA agent, so far he hasn't been released.

There is overall going be no such problem visiting Iran, even if they are 2nd generation Iranian-Americans. They can easily get a passport instead of a visa at the Pakistani Embassy.

Edited by Zendegi

It's like any international trip, they will have to get used to little things like no concept of lines, bad traffic control, hagglers, etc.  These things are unfamiliar to Westerners, who are used to things around them being more regulated and consistent, and less of a free-for-all.  Might as well be Cambodia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, or any other non-Western place.  Haven't been to those places, but I assume it's similar across the board. 

Just follow the laws and customs the best you can.  And don't listen to the dramatists like our good friend above. 

Edited by magma

It's like any international trip, they will have to get used to little things like no concept of lines, bad traffic control, hagglers, etc.  These things are unfamiliar to Westerners, who are used to things around them being more regulated and consistent, and less of a free-for-all.  Might as well be Cambodia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, or any other non-Western place.  Haven't been to those places, but I assume it's similar across the board. 

Just follow the laws and customs the best you can.  And don't listen to the dramatists like our good friend above. 

Sorry, if you understood anything else I wasn't dramatizing anything. I was just telling some stuff that has happened over the years to Iranian Americans. Positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but still Iran is not the place where you can be all at peace with.

There is certainly no problem with Iranian-Americans visiting their homeland. From experience, I know these issues like LeftCoastMom put out persists among quite a few in the Iranian diaspora. She even pointed out the parents of these people think "it is too dangerous". Lot of diaspora Iranians left Iran in such a rush during the Revolution and the war, and haven't been back since.They are right to be unsure after not visiting the country for such a long time. Yes it is obviously okay and not at all dangerous for them to come and visit.

Stop with the smart alec attitude.

Edited by Zendegi

Sorry, if you understood anything else I wasn't dramatizing anything. I was just telling some stuff that has happened over the years to Iranian Americans. Positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but still Iran is not the place where you can be all at peace with.

There is certainly no problem with Iranian-Americans visiting their homeland. From experience, I know these issues like LeftCoastMom put out persists among quite a few in the Iranian diaspora. She even pointed out the parents of these people think "it is too dangerous". Lot of diaspora Iranians left Iran I such a rush after the Revolution and the war, and haven't been back since.They are right to be unsure after not visiting the country for such a long time. Yes it is obviously okay and not at all dangerous for them to come and visit.

Depends on what type of person you are to be honest. 

Most of my religious Iranian friends and family members, feel at peace when visiting Iran and are more comfortable there then the US or UK. A lot of my friends or family who are not really religious or don't follow any religion at all, between them there is two types still; those who always have some fears in the back of their mind when visiting, those who just go and enjoy themselves, and act as they are without caring to much. 

Most of my religious Iranian friends and family members, feel at peace when visiting Iran and are more comfortable there then the US or UK. A lot of my friends or family who are not really religious or don't follow any religion at all, between them there is two types still; those who always have some fears in the back of their mind when visiting, those who just go and enjoy themselves, and act as they are without caring to much. 

Your absolutely right.

Well, interesting you should bring that up...my daughter, being very immersed in our ethnic community herself, feels that these siblings ( raised in no religion) are also reaching for that connectedness to their ancestors and spirituality. She thinks that possibly the parents are afraid of that,too. Like...what if they find it?

I'm not Iranian, so I don't know if my reply will be all that useful.

My husband (who is Iranian) and I are currently visiting and everything has been quite alright. As everyone else has pointed out, if one is a law abiding person, safety isn't any more of a concern than it would be in any other foreign country. 

As far as being comfortable with the culture and things of that nature, in my experience, it depends on the type of person one is and the particular area where one is staying. We stayed in Qom for about a week and are currently staying in Tehran. Personally, I haven't had any issues in either place. However, a rather un-religious and outgoing relative of my husband's hated Qom, stating it was bland, boring, and had nothing to do, but is quite happy here, so I suppose certain personality types may be more suited to certain areas. 

Edited by alina92

Not only is there no problem in going, but they should be forced to go.

Iran is great for visitors. If Iranians treated each other and their Muslim brothers, the way they treat visitors (especiallty Western visitors), Iran would be a paradise.

Smart alec about what? I'm just tired of every post you have about Iran having some subtle political spin, the customary use of the big bad "r" word, and ad nausem repetition from MSM sensationalist stories. 

Even though you are giving guidance, you can't help yourself but to subconsiously integrate your political talking points and overtones from the echo chamber into everything.  There are a million more relevant things you could have said.  

Imagine if a foreigner was going to visit the US asking for guidance (maybe just New York), and the first thing I tell them is to watch out if they have Black Panther sympathies, don't join protests in Ferguson, Missouri, don't visit Christian fundamentalist cult compounds, avoid rural areas where KKK members are etc, which are 99.9% irrelevant facts for most people, but help paint an image and overriding agenda that extends beyond the simple original intention of practical guidance. 

But whatevs dude.....lets not derail the thread.  It doesn't matter. 

Not only is there no problem in going, but they should be forced to go.

Iran is great for visitors. If Iranians treated each other and their Muslim brothers, the way they treat visitors (especiallty Western visitors), Iran would be a paradise.

Thanks to everyone for their replies....and thanks to Baradar for starting my day off with a laugh this morning. :-)