Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon123

Dual Career Families

Rate this topic

I was wondering if people could give their experiences on being apart of a dual career family where both men and women work.

Another aspect of this is that many women want to work for reasons other than money and find their own sense of fulfillment in that (i.e not out of need). In fact, it seems like the majority of second generation girls are like this because they are raised to be educated and independent. They find the idea of being a housewife unfulfilling and something that can be simply balanced and supplemented.

Do you guys and girls find it difficult to balance? Input from both sides appreciated!

(Salam)

I work. Not for the money. My husband brings enough for the whole family. I didn't want to turn into one of those women whose whole existence depends on 'pleasing their husband' and become a slave to kids.

I love cooking and enjoy doing household tasks. These two can suck out many hours of your life so you should know when to stop.

My kids love going to their preschool. They love spending time with their friends and learn new stuff.

I'm also lucky, because I have a very supportive husband. And we both work hard because we want to set good example for our children.

I didn't want to turn into one of those women whose whole existence depends on 'pleasing their husband' and become a slave to kids.

If I was a woman, those two things would be sufficient for me.  It would be too stressful and anxiety-producing for me to constantly be yearning and seeking "more".  

I work but just because my husband doesn't. the day he starts working (if ever) i am going to give up on working. if my husband was working, i would just want to focus on my family, kids and the household because i dont see these tasks as enslavement or something. my kids deserve all my time. even if i did continue working i'd only do it part-time - just a few hours and that's enough. 

I loved both being a mother and my job. I worked to help pay the bills ( it has become more expensive to live here now) and because I didn't want to just sit on my degree. I was fortunate in that I could take long maternity leaves and job-share if I wanted. But it was true that working and family life was hard to balance at times. I have a very supportive husband who helps with all household tasks, so that made it easier.