Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Jummah Prayer Obligatory?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamun alaykum brothers and sisters

I am shia muslim living in Australia and recently I got a job because of which I cant pray Jumma. and I was going through the translation of surah Jumma in quran and I found this ayat

62:9

O you who have believed, when [the adhan] is called for the prayer on the day of Jumu'ah [Friday], then proceed to the remembrance of Allah and leave trade. That is better for you, if you only knew.

so if my employer doesnt allow me to have time to pray Jumma or I cant get day off on friday should I leave the job? I am following Syed Ali Khamenei as a marjae 

if anyone can reply me about this it will be very helpful

jazakallah

• Veteran Member

wa 'alaykum assalam,

Q 602: What is your opinion regarding one’s participation in Friday prayers nowadays when the Twelfth Imam is not present? Is it obligatory or not for someone to attend Friday prayers when they do not believe that the Friday prayer imam to be just?

A: Even though Friday prayer is considered an alternative obligation during this period of time and it is not considered obligatory for people to participate in it, one should not deprive oneself of the blessings gained through attending the prayer solely due to doubt about the justice of the imam or due to irrelevant excuses.

http://www.leader.ir/tree/index.php?catid=23

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member

Alaikom assalam

Jomah prayer is Wajib only at the time of the presence of the holy prophet (saw) and Imams (a.s.). and as our Imam (a.s.) is not present publicly in our society, so Jomah prayer is not Wajib nowadays; though it is Mustahab (recommended) to perform it.

• 6 years later...
  • Advanced Member
11 hours ago, seekingthebeloved said:

Why isn’t the Jummah prayer obligatory for Shias when it’s explicitly stated in the Quran? Doesn’t the rationale of the Imam not being present contradict the Quran since that’s not state anywhere 

It is not a shia-sunni thing. Shiites and Sunnis likewise perform Jumuah Prayers. And it is obligatory for all of them.

However, there are some additionary rulings-criteria in Islam (Quran and Sunnah) that also should be met first in order to offer it.

Take Building vs Demolishing Masjids for example. Even though demolishing masjids is one of the greatest oppressions (see Surah Baqara; 114), we have the example of Masjid al Dirar, because that is an exception. That masjid did not meet the criteria of Islam.

Likewise, even though abandoning Friday Prayers is a sin and oppression, it might not be the case in certain times and places.

I was a Sunni, so I know. There is the concepts of Dar al Islam, Dar al Harb, Dar al Sulh etc. in sunnism where the rulings and jurisprudence of the four madhabs change. According to some Sunni Madhabs, in some places (Dar al Harb) you are not allowed to have real estate (where you have the threat of being deprived of citizenship or forced to migrate or that they may confiscate your wealth).. You are not allowed to perform congregational prayers (whre you have the threat of mass murder).. etc. It is all there in the fiqh books of the sunnis.

Likewise, the Jafari, Zaydi etc. Madhabs of the Shia Muslims have rulings alike. I mean, in a world where Takfiri Terrorists blow themselves up in Shiite Muslims' Friday Congregations (it happened last week in Afghanistan and a week before that, hundreds of Shia Muslims were martyred while performing Friday Prayers), you shouldn't have to perform it and become a target. You should take precautions (i.e. pray seperately or at home). That's the ruling in DAR AL HARB (i.e. the Land in War). Likewise, when the American Hegemony and all its servants may put you on the sanctions list (like they do to Iranians-Iraqis-Syrians, Lebanese and Yemenis) and confiscate all your wealth, investment etc., you should take precautions.

Anyway, the Maraji and Jurists of the Shiite Muslims rule that Friday Prayers is a must. And they pray it in huge congregations, more crowded than the sunnis. (Please note that "According to a Shiite Islamic law, only one Friday prayer may be prayed in a radius of 1 Farsah (3 miles). If two prayers are held within this distance, the latter will be null and void." So, the shia muslims congregations is really crowded.). BUT in a place where Shiite Muslims are guardianless (absence of wilayat-guarding leader and system) and/or not safe, then it is OK for them to not perform it in congregation. And the attacks in Afghanistan this month is a proof for this.

Edited by islamicmusic

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, islamicmusic said:

It is not a shia-sunni thing. Shiites and Sunnis likewise perform Jumuah Prayers. And it is obligatory for all of them.

However, there are some additionary rulings-criteria in Islam (Quran and Sunnah) that also should be met first in order to offer it.

Take Building vs Demolishing Masjids for example. Even though demolishing masjids is one of the greatest oppressions (see Surah Baqara; 114), we have the example of Masjid al Dirar, because that is an exception. That masjid did not meet the criteria of Islam.

Likewise, even though abandoning Friday Prayers is a sin and oppression, it might not be the case in certain times and places.

I was a Sunni, so I know. There is the concepts of Dar al Islam, Dar al Harb, Dar al Sulh etc. in sunnism where the rulings and jurisprudence of the four madhabs change. According to some Sunni Madhabs, in some places (Dar al Harb) you are not allowed to have real estate (where you have the threat of being deprived of citizenship or forced to migrate or that they may confiscate your wealth).. You are not allowed to perform congregational prayers (whre you have the threat of mass murder).. etc. It is all there in the fiqh books of the sunnis.

Likewise, the Jafari, Zaydi etc. Madhabs of the Shia Muslims have rulings alike. I mean, in a world where Takfiri Terrorists blow themselves up in Shiite Muslims' Friday Congregations (it happened last week in Afghanistan and a week before that, hundreds of Shia Muslims were martyred while performing Friday Prayers), you shouldn't have to perform it and become a target. You should take precautions (i.e. pray seperately or at home). That's the ruling in DAR AL HARB (i.e. the Land in War). Likewise, when the American Hegemony and all its servants may put you on the sanctions list (like they do to Iranians-Iraqis-Syrians, Lebanese and Yemenis) and confiscate all your wealth, investment etc., you should take precautions.

Anyway, the Maraji and Jurists of the Shiite Muslims rule that Friday Prayers is a must. And they pray it in huge congregations, more crowded than the sunnis. (Please note that "According to a Shiite Islamic law, only one Friday prayer may be prayed in a radius of 1 Farsah (3 miles). If two prayers are held within this distance, the latter will be null and void." So, the shia muslims congregations is really crowded.). BUT in a place where Shiite Muslims are guardianless (absence of wilayat-guarding leader and system) and/or not safe, then it is OK for them to not perform it in congregation. And the attacks in Afghanistan this month is a proof for this.

Thank you for your input. I can understand more so if there’s a risk to life but why about in Western countries where there isn’t that worry? I can’t quite understand why it would be the case for the ordinary average person to not pray Jummah as instructed in the Quran if there’s no risk to life, nor your citizenship at risk of being stripped