Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
beardedbaker

The Beard & Bread Appreciation Society

Rate this topic

Bread that is made in 4hours from flour to the store is NOT bread.

traditional arabian bread doesn't take 4 hours and it is bread for sure!

Back when i was a kid watching toon, they were showing these cake like bread and calling it khubz (arabic word for bread) so as kids we objected and thought the toons were silly because that was cake not khubz

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/salloum135.html

traditional arabian bread doesn't take 4 hours and it is bread for sure!

Back when i was a kid watching toon, they were showing these cake like bread and calling it khubz (arabic word for bread) so as kids we objected and thought the toons were silly because that was cake not khubz

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/salloum135.html

Was referring specifically to what they call wonder bread in the US, or tinned loaves you get in supermarkets.

It's when you eat [Edited Out] like that, you see the massive increase in food allergies and fads like 'gluten intolerance' (no offence to true sufferers of the autoimmune coeliac disease)

I make khubz as well for our weekly falafel craving. I use ancient grains and a long ferment to increase the flavour profile. Plain khubz is boring and tasteless.

that looks awesome

Thanks. Tastes better than it looks Edited by thecontentedself

Your emoticon didnt show up there Marbs, let me help you out with a replacement: 147.gifnot sure if a poodle with a mans face running with a corn on the cob is a fair approximation of what you were trying to convey to us, but its all i've got right now.

You made me put tea through my nose....

:-)

post-183511-0-04043100-1441062742_thumb.

You made me put tea through my nose....

:-)

FINALLY! someone who appreciates my humour. Please say you'll stay and never leave?

Was referring specifically to what they call wonder bread in the US, or tinned loaves you get in supermarkets.

Are you joking? never in my life have i heard of a tinned loaf. You cant see a loaf in a tin, how can you examine it before purchasing?...you cant give it a squeeze either (why do people squeeze loaves? i do it too, but only so people will look at me and think 'she knows what she's doing'. I dont.).

The English cricket star with his caveman's beard...

Moeen-ali-doosra.jpg

960.jpg

I know zero about cricket, but even i know he's a ledg.

tyvm.

On 8/31/2015 at 10:55 PM, Ruq said:

FINALLY! someone who appreciates my humour. Please say you'll stay and never leave? .

Lol! Thanks! That was sweet! It all depends on how things go tomorrow ....and if we will need to know more about the Care and Feeding of a Shia.

On 8/28/2015 at 9:57 AM, thecontentedself said:

Best post so far, thanks akhi. Just goes to show that the east sets the standards in terms of facial hair.

I just want to clarify: the Yemeni beard may seem a bit light now... but once the Yemenis achieve victory over their aggressors it will grow down to the knees or so, to reflect this victory.

Beards in history

Stonewall Jackson (best name ever?)

stonewall_jackson.jpeg

Sean Connery in his hezbollahi days:

sean_connery_1979_01_01.jpg

Shahid Mirza Kouchak Khan Jangali (center) with some companions

mirza17.jpg

Epic Beard wayback machine: Chu Hsi, the famous Chinese scholar

kobietywjoseon15.jpg

Even more wayback: Qin Shi Huang (not a pleasant dude but according to artists he had a pretty epic beard)

c9004b5f049a616159479a996fbe77cd.jpg

Allameh Tabatabai's brother

my_documents%5Cmy_Gallery%5Cmohamad%20ha

Beards: before and after, Shahid Babaei edition

Before:

abas-babaee-3.jpg

After:

1397939_843.jpg

On 8/28/2015 at 3:26 AM, starlight said:

Lol, ^ made me laugh. 'The old man and the bear' had to become part of shiachat one way or other :P

This man should be celebrated in every shiachat topic. He is an inspiration to all of us, and as a matter of fact. he alone proves at least three of the "beard facts" from the infographic the OP poster.

^ Oh man

I'd probably kill myself if I couldn't eat bread.

Good luck with that...

It's actually not that hard as I was diagnosed in early childhood (around age 4/5) and have gotten rather used to it.

Ironically, I quite like to bake. How terribly masochistic, right?  :D

Even more ironically, my husband (who doesn't have coeliac disease) doesn't eat bread/carbs of any kind so most of the things I bake end up being given to guests, neighbours, family, and the like. 

It's when you eat [Edited Out] like that, you see the massive increase in food allergies and fads like 'gluten intolerance' (no offence to true sufferers of the autoimmune coeliac disease)

I make khubz as well for our weekly falafel craving. I use ancient grains and a long ferment to increase the flavour profile. Plain khubz is boring and tasteless.

Thanks. Tastes better than it looks

meh, plain bread is essential in any kitchen that respects itself! What would you feed the kids then? Spicy bread and makes them get diarrhoea ?

Besides, plain bread can go with almost anything, not only falafel. We eat it with fool, humus, taboleh, metabal, livers, za'atar, dates, cheese, labneh, eggs, shakshukah, shawarma and of course falafel

Here the Afghani bread called Tamis with Fool

5118679220_6bccb94372_b.jpg

and another photogenic afghani police officer 

OALne.jpg

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

It's actually not that hard as I was diagnosed in early childhood (around age 4/5) and have gotten rather used to it.

Ironically, I quite like to bake. How terribly masochistic, right? :D

Even more ironically, my husband (who doesn't have coeliac disease) doesn't eat bread/carbs of any kind so most of the things I bake end up being given to guests, neighbours, family, and the like.

Sorry to hear that. I tried to make a special bread for a coeliac sufferer but it didn't quite work. Very sad :(

I guess baking for others and getting pleasure out of that makes up for some of the pain (of not eating amazing bread).

Gluten rules.

Legendary Italian footballer Andrea Pirlo has the greatest beard:

Beard and hair goals!

Are you joking? never in my life have i heard of a tinned loaf. You cant see a loaf in a tin, how can you examine it before purchasing?...you cant give it a squeeze either (why do people squeeze loaves? i do it too, but only so people will look at me and think 'she knows what she's doing'. I dont.).

tyvm.

Baked in a tin Einstein...

^ You said 'tinned loaves' not 'loaves made in tins'.

Ironically, I quite like to bake. How terribly masochistic, right?  :D

Have you had any success with gluten free flour? i know theres a lot of experimentation happening with gluten free blends of flour. I found this one ages ago: https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/11/gluten-free-french-bread-recipe-easy-easy-easy.html

The bread looks great in the pics. I havent made it because i dont particularly want to shell out for a special pan that i will hardly ever use.

Have you had any success with gluten free flour? i know theres a lot of experimentation happening with gluten free blends of flour. I found this one ages ago: https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/11/gluten-free-french-bread-recipe-easy-easy-easy.html

The bread looks great in the pics. I havent made it because i dont particularly want to shell out for a special pan that i will hardly ever use.

I've seen a few gluten free flours and flour blends at the shops but I've not experimented extensively. I've baked with almond flour on a couple of occasions and I sometimes bake certain Afghan pastries, which specifically use rice, corn, or chickpea flour but that's about it.

To be honest, I don't really crave bread or pastries as I've grown up not eating those things, so I've never been bothered enough to really experiment with gluten free baking or buy the special pans required.

The few gluten free breads/pastries I bake:

Doday (called "naan" on the subcontinent) made from chickpea flour. Doday are most commonly made from wheat flour but they can also be made from other flours, such as these (from chickpea flour) which are common in the part of Afghanistan my family is from:

post-176835-0-72602900-1441213391_thumb.

Roat e Jawaree (Sweet bread loaf made of corn flour):

post-176835-0-24588200-1441213707_thumb.

Kulcha e badam (Meringue-esque biscuits made from almond flour and topped with almond slivers):

post-176835-0-33874200-1441213731_thumb.

Kulcha e birinji (Biscuits made from rice flour and pistachios):

post-176835-0-09681200-1441213749_thumb.

Edited by alina92

Those breads King, I'm drooling, this is better than those nowegian sticks. And then that Afghan police CM. Are Afghans usually so handsome? MashaAllah I didn't know :D. At this pace this thread will overcome the kitties one (sorry apo xD!).

Edited by Bakir

Those breads King, I'm drooling, this is better than those nowegian sticks. And then that Afghan police CM. Are Afghans usually so handsome? MashaAllah I didn't know :D. At this pace this thread will overcome the kitties one (sorry apo xD!).

Yes.  :D

Men with looks/features similar to that of the photogenic gentleman in the photo Chaotic posted are quite common in the part of Afghanistan my family is from.  

Edited by alina92

Doday (called "naan" on the subcontinent) made from chickpea flour. Doday are most commonly made from wheat flour but they can also be made from other flours, such as these (from chickpea flour) which are common in the part of Afghanistan my family is from:

Interesting bit of info, Alina. What we call doday in central Pakistan is flat bread made of ground corn. It looks like this. But I don't know if it is gluten free.

makki+ki+roti+&+s+saag+f.jpg

Men with looks/features similar to that of the photogenic gentleman in the photo Chaotic posted are quite common in the part of Afghanistan my family is from.  

I have a Afghan friend with similar features/looks who is always mistaken for an Italian or Spanish when he travels abroad. People who find out he's Afghan think it incredible because, as we know, their perceptions are conditioned by media images of angry rough bearded guys.

Do you know Viv is a great fan of our curries and breads?

Who isn't?  There are some people who are averse to spicy food, but on the whole Pakistani food is heaven on earth, and totally worth a heart attack or two.

Edited by King

I have a Afghan friend with similar features/looks who is always mistaken for an Italian or Spanish when he travels abroad. People who find out he's Afghan think it incredible because, as we know, their perceptions are conditioned by media images of angry rough bearded guys.

And what exactly is wrong with angry rough bearded guys?

I personally love the quintessential Afghan look, I want to look like this man if I ever grow to his age:

afghan-hazara-face-lik-mongol.jpg

Paki bread is great and all but I prefer this:

Mashhadi barbari bread:

81426983-6142443.jpg

Paki bread gets boring after you've had it a few times. And unless the tanoor type breads are done the traditional way using sourdough and stoneground wheat, it's bloats you like anything..

You can't bear proppa sangak tho bro

Edited by thecontentedself