Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Kasem

I Use Medical Marijuana

Rate this topic

Salaam friends.

I am curious as to what your thoughts are (and those of your religious references) in regards to medical marijuana.

In general, I am incredibly confused by the notion that ingesting "intoxicants" is self-harm and thus haraam. Anything we ingest is an "intoxicant" (purely from a scientific perspective), be it sugar, tobacco, caffeine, or even food. Many cases have been made that marijuana is indeed less harmful than other substances considered permissible by the Ulama. Living as a human being means to be intoxicated constantly, simply by being alive. To describe a creation of Allah as haram simply because it is an "intoxicant" seems rooted strictly in interpretation (the qua'ran doesn't determine what an intoxicant is from a strictly scientific perspective?). Perhaps my knowledge of scripture is not adequate enough to understand the issue.

I ask because I am a medical marijuana user, having been prescribed by my doctor for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). I do not ingest alcohol or other intoxicants for obvious reasons, but I am not comfortable with the thought that it is is mubah (as opposed to halal) simply because it is for a medical need. Why would Allah, in his wiseness, forbid people from certain intoxicants when they are in health, but allow it when they are not? I am considering seeking alternate treatment as this is a source of great internal struggle.

Of course I am not qualified to interpret sharia by ijtihad, but I feel a disconnect on the issue. Would it be permissible for someone to eat swine if it were for a medical purpose (I believe it is OK if death would be the consequence of not eating it?)

baaraka Allahu fik, curious to hear your thoughts.

Salam. You have a good question and I look forward to this discussion. Most people think intention is very important, so there is a difference between someone frivolously smoking marijuana to get "high" and someone who has a medical condition that requires taking marijuana under a doctor's prescription.

I dont think its strictly haram for all situations, this is what i stumbled upon and it seems fine to me, the person who checked it was a Scholar so im not too sure where he gets his references from, i will be looking now for shia point of view references!

http://seekershub.org/ans-blog/2012/05/24/is-medical-marijuana-allowed-in-islam/

As for medical use of marijuana, this would return to the criteria of using an unlawful substance for medical treatment (tadawi bil-haram), which is permissible under the following conditions:

Mild self-harm is not forbidden in itself, there is no proof for that really. The self-harm that becomes forbidden is when it would cause major damage to the body according to societal standards, even if it is over the long run, like doing something that would render you more prone to getting cancer, losing limbs etc. 

As for your medical marijuana issue, you'd have to describe what effects you receive when you use it. There are different reported effects of using medical marijuana as opposed to the kind you'd find sold on the streets. 

As for using swine as a means of treatment, you're right, it's only allowed in an extreme situation where your life depended on it. 

So, the video I posted, which some here find objectionable, was of a comedian describing the type of people who smoke the cannabis.

Clearly, what one can take from the video is that generally speaking the crowd that smokes it usually drinks alcohol, often coupling the two.

Using it essentially to boost the alcohol effects or vice versa.

Do you really want to be in agreement with them, your minds thinking alike?

Be careful. These people don't appear to be concerned about religion. You may find yourself joining their crowd, accepting their mindset/mentality.

However, if there's a legitimate medical need, go for it. But this is not going to be true for a lot of people.

Hi Kasem,

I've been struggling with cannabis addiction for past 8 years now... and whoever tells you it is not addictive is lying to you. Some people are more susceptible to it than others... and it can take anywhere from 2-20 years for the addiction to fully develop, and you may reach a point where you are unable to live without getting high.

The harms that I faced:

1. Feeling depressed when not high
2. Feeling more angry, unstable emotionally
3. Craving food, sex, music... these are all pleasures of the body and they harm your soul, specially when you are high.
4. Memory and concentration problems
5. And others.

Now I can tell you there were times when I felt amazing, spiritual, close to God, and just had amazing insights... I was really fooled by this because I thought since I'm feeling so near to God, how can this be haram? I was more sociable and happy at times. However these insights didn't last once sober, or I would forget. I didn't see myself really improving as a person or really growing spiritually... I didn't feel close to God when sober. Although I felt great and I thought I was becoming better, over time I really wasn't.

This website really helped open my eyes, specially if you read the stories that people have written.

https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org

I understand that you are taking it for medical reasons, however I think your PTSD can be solved spiritually without the use of cannabis. You have to understand that God created cannabis... any effects you are getting from it is because God gave the property to the plant. Do you not think that God can solve your problems and remove your PTSD? Of course HE can!

I literally followed the first 3 steps of the 12 step program and saw a significant change in me:

1. We admitted we were powerless over marijuana, that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood God.

I just sat down and talked to Allah swt one day... I told Him that I'm addicted, I need His help... I can't let go of it on my own... that I knew deep down He can give me Peace, he can put my turbulent, negative, depressing thoughts to rest. And I prayed really hard. I prayed for guidance... honestly God took away the craving to get high... I'm not saying the desire is completely gone, but I have replaced the pleasure of getting high, with the spiritual pleasure of prayer, Quran, love of Allah etc.

Spiritually you should be saying your 5 prayers, I would recommend adding salatul layl/tahujjud.

I can tell you that if someone told me all this when I was using, I probably would have read it but not stopped using. So my final 2 cents are, just pray, pray to God for guidance and He will show you whether this is good for you or bad... you will know deep down what it is.

Let me know if you have any questions or require any kind of help... I can provide you with my email if you wish to talk privately.

(salam)

Here is a good example. I was telling the doctors in the mosque, once, that a doctor prescribed beer to my great-grandmother for her heart. As they explained, the beer has an enzyme in it that acts like a stimulant to regulate the heartbeat.

Hi Kasem,

I've been struggling with cannabis addiction for past 8 years now... and whoever tells you it is not addictive is lying to you. Some people are more susceptible to it than others... and it can take anywhere from 2-20 years for the addiction to fully develop, and you may reach a point where you are unable to live without getting high.

The harms that I faced:

1. Feeling depressed when not high

2. Feeling more angry, unstable emotionally

3. Craving food, sex, music... these are all pleasures of the body and they harm your soul, specially when you are high.

4. Memory and concentration problems

5. And others.

Now I can tell you there were times when I felt amazing, spiritual, close to God, and just had amazing insights... I was really fooled by this because I thought since I'm feeling so near to God, how can this be haram? I was more sociable and happy at times. However these insights didn't last once sober, or I would forget. I didn't see myself really improving as a person or really growing spiritually... I didn't feel close to God when sober. Although I felt great and I thought I was becoming better, over time I really wasn't.

This website really helped open my eyes, specially if you read the stories that people have written.

https://www.marijuana-anonymous.org

I understand that you are taking it for medical reasons, however I think your PTSD can be solved spiritually without the use of cannabis. You have to understand that God created cannabis... any effects you are getting from it is because God gave the property to the plant. Do you not think that God can solve your problems and remove your PTSD? Of course HE can!

I literally followed the first 3 steps of the 12 step program and saw a significant change in me:

1. We admitted we were powerless over marijuana, that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God, as we understood God.

I just sat down and talked to Allah swt one day... I told Him that I'm addicted, I need His help... I can't let go of it on my own... that I knew deep down He can give me Peace, he can put my turbulent, negative, depressing thoughts to rest. And I prayed really hard. I prayed for guidance... honestly God took away the craving to get high... I'm not saying the desire is completely gone, but I have replaced the pleasure of getting high, with the spiritual pleasure of prayer, Quran, love of Allah etc.

Spiritually you should be saying your 5 prayers, I would recommend adding salatul layl/tahujjud.

I can tell you that if someone told me all this when I was using, I probably would have read it but not stopped using. So my final 2 cents are, just pray, pray to God for guidance and He will show you whether this is good for you or bad... you will know deep down what it is.

Let me know if you have any questions or require any kind of help... I can provide you with my email if you wish to talk privately.

Thanks so much for your response --- apologies I didn't respond sooner.

I think you're absolutely, 100% right. Your comment below especially spoke to me:

I smoked marijuana as a teenager several dozen times and thus are familiar with the side effects/consequences. I think the crucial aspect is the insights attained while under the influence completely disappear while sober, as you wisely stated.

I've found marijuana has helped with my PTSD... but I'm also certain there are other options. I have to admit while prayer and spiritual readings have definitely helped in several regards, I'm just not emotionally strong enough at this time to be a functioning human being without chemical assistance (for reference, was prescribed marijuana after being violently attacked by thugs who attempted to rape my travel companion; along with obvious emotional despair, this was accompanied by brain damage due to multiple bottles being smashed over my head).

Essentially, I'm at a crossroads where I'm quickly becoming reliant upon it for both physical and emotional support. At this time I'm trying to fight that by using other methods to maintain my sanity.... spending more time with friends, volunteering w/ a local church that helps resettle refugees from Syria, exercising considerably more & maintaining a healthier lifestyle.

Ultimately, I'm saving up money for ar big trip outside the US... not sure where I'm going, but planning it as some sort of extended "retreat" to get some insight on my future and some objectivity on  where I'm headed in life and to provide some clarity on where I am today. 

Edited by Kasem

With medical need, even alcohol or pig products are allowed, as far as I know, but only when there is no other effective treatment.

No alcohol and pig treatments are not allowed because they can be found in other things.

No alcohol and pig treatments are not allowed because they can be found in other things.

Did you read the whole thing, out just the first half? If there is medical need and no other option available, pig and alcohol based medicines are allowed.

Did you read the whole thing, out just the first half? If there is medical need and no other option available, pig and alcohol based medicines are allowed.

Exactly, and that is why I wrote "its not allowed" because the benefits included in alcohol and pigs can be found in something else.

Exactly, and that is why I wrote "its not allowed" because the benefits included in alcohol and pigs can be found in something else.

If this was indeed the case then Muslims wouldn't be using alcohol or pig products for medical purposes...............

If this was indeed the case then Muslims wouldn't be using alcohol or pig products for medical purposes...............

They are using them without asking. They are just assuming that it is fine because it is prescribed by the doctor.

Get me the acceptance of any knowledgeable Marja.

Thanks so much for your response --- apologies I didn't respond sooner.

I think you're absolutely, 100% right. Your comment below especially spoke to me:

I smoked marijuana as a teenager several dozen times and thus are familiar with the side effects/consequences. I think the crucial aspect is the insights attained while under the influence completely disappear while sober, as you wisely stated.

I've found marijuana has helped with my PTSD... but I'm also certain there are other options. I have to admit while prayer and spiritual readings have definitely helped in several regards, I'm just not emotionally strong enough at this time to be a functioning human being without chemical assistance (for reference, was prescribed marijuana after being violently attacked by thugs who attempted to rape my travel companion; along with obvious emotional despair, this was accompanied by brain damage due to multiple bottles being smashed over my head).

Essentially, I'm at a crossroads where I'm quickly becoming reliant upon it for both physical and emotional support. At this time I'm trying to fight that by using other methods to maintain my sanity.... spending more time with friends, volunteering w/ a local church that helps resettle refugees from Syria, exercising considerably more & maintaining a healthier lifestyle.

Ultimately, I'm saving up money for ar big trip outside the US... not sure where I'm going, but planning it as some sort of extended "retreat" to get some insight on my future and some objectivity on  where I'm headed in life and to provide some clarity on where I am today. 

You have to realize that cannabis is only helping you deal with the symptoms of PTSD and not actually curing it. You're only becoming more and more reliant and dependent on it.... if you think your PTSD is getting better, it's only because time is healing it not cannabis... the problem you'll face is that you'll start relying on cannabis not just for PTSD and also general problems in life. This is not a solution, you're only helping yourself in the short run but creating far bigger issues and problems in the long run.

Deep down inside you should always be looking for a way to let go of cannabis. Just let go of it... the first few days/weeks may be extremely difficult and torture, but it'll get better in the long run. Muharram is a great time, listen to the masaib/difficulties of Imam Hussain, cry, and ask for help... iA all will be ok.

oh my gosh alih,i have to tell you this importantly ,reply upon Allah, i dont know about the islamic law of the treatment but let me tell you about myself, i was going thru quite a number of hardships as well as mental illness problems such as having anxiety losing part of of structred thinking bescially could not act properly sometimes, but then Allah, Allah helped cure me, never stop asking Him for help for all treatments all helps , and all dissapearence of problems came from Him.He is the MostMerciful.you have to ask him, you may not know when youll get it, but when He responded to me SubhanAllah.I pray to Allah to help you and cure you, I pray to Allah to help you and cure you.try to achieve khushoo in namaz and sprituality by reading quran, and if possible go to shia counselors i dont know, maybe theyll be able to help you spiritually? or a good scholar.I pray Allah can help you and cure you.