Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mbt

Non-Believers Paying Tax (Jizya)? Exact Amount?

Rate this topic

Salam all. 

I am slightly confused as to the laws behind Jizya. I understand that the Quran says non-believers and non-muslims have to pay a tax so they are protected and as a contribution to the government. However, what is the amount dictated by this tax? 

As an example, I think ISIS charges around 20 to 80% of a households income. 

Now I fully condone [i think you meant condemn - moderator] the actions of ISIS, and understand that they do not represent Islam in any way. But we have to agree that the vagueness of the Quran on this matter allows people in that scenario to charge whatever they like, leading to the atrocities which are happening in Iraq at the moment. 

Shouldn't Jizya be standardized across the board, and be equivalent to Zakah to ensure fairness amongst all? 

Edited by Haji 2003
judging by the context, seems to be the wrong word

I don't see a problem with a tax being at the state's discretion, as long as it isn't used as a means of oppression. However, in the past it would have been counterproductive to have too high a jiziya tax, because then people would just convert to Islam to avoid it, which would reduce the tax revenue. And of course, since Islam hates oppression, no tax is meant to be punitive in any case.

ISIS have repeatedly shown that they don't care about justice, fairness, or mercy, so whether or not the exact amount to tax was specified in the Qur'an, you can bet they would still oppress religious minorities.

Salam Alaykum

I to some extent have the same opinion as above which means I don't see a problem with not specifying certain amount and providing this opportunity to specify the amount and also what is going to be given as tax. Not always the government would ask for Gold or Silver.

Some times a country might need or want to charge other stuff. 

Besides, Zakaat is a divine obligation requested from Muslims and each one is asked to make it and pay the specified amount. Every one's duty is to pay Zakaat; so everyone would know how much to pay.

But Jizya is an obligation enforced by the government for its expenses and it is intended to make up for some hardship. It varies from time to time; so government's choice is important and effective.

Just out of curiousity,

If the jizya is for the protection of non muslims, if a non muslim were to fight in the military to defend the country, would they be exempt from the tax (because theyve become the protectors rather than the protected)? Or are non muslims non allowed to be in the military? Or how does that work?

I'd like to ask if the Jizya must be paid...

1.  Who are the Muslims protecting the non-Muslims from?

2.  If the Jizya exceeds 10%, is that not oppression?

3.  I always thought Jizya was based on divine law, if one Muslim group wants 10% and another Muslim group wants 20%, will either of the groups protect me from the other group?  

4.  if a Muslim group wants me to pay 20% in Jizya, doesn't that disqualify that group as being Muslim, because that would be oppression...and against divine law?  

5.  Will the Muslims protect me from the IRS?  Their tax rate is 40%.  

I think you guys should stick with 10%.  It's fair.  It's equal.  It's part of the divine law.  It's better than most tax rates, so some people would welcome that 10%.  It's confusing if you can't rest on a exact figure.  It would be oppressive if the laws kept changing and every week I was expected to pay more jizya.   In the US, they call this a flat tax.

On 8/19/2015 at 8:33 PM, iCambrian said:

Just out of curiousity,

If the jizya is for the protection of non muslims, if a non muslim were to fight in the military to defend the country, would they be exempt from the tax (because theyve become the protectors rather than the protected)? Or are non muslims non allowed to be in the military? Or how does that work?

Yes, that is correct. They are exempt from the tax if they choose to physically support the state and defend its inhabitants instead of financially doing so. 

On 8/19/2015 at 8:33 PM, iCambrian said:

Just out of curiousity,

It has happened in the past when non muslims join the Muslim army, they become exempt from the Jizyah :)