Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
titumir

Do You Think That Niqab Is A "choice"?

Rate this topic

Salam Alaikum.

I was banned for 2 weeks when I made a post about Niqab in the main forums. There many said things like "Its their choice", and "Niqab doesn't stop their contributing to society", etc. 

But I want to ask you what YOU think about it?

Do you think niqab is a voluntary choice made by a woman? Do you believe that without external pressure any woman would choose to wear it?

Another said that the women of the Ahlulbayt (as) used to wear it.

Do you think, if the men of the Ahlulbayt (as) hypothetically wore niqabs then Muslim men today would wear it and promote it? Or do you think they would find various excuses like "Its recommended not to wear it in this age" or "It was there for a specific time"?

Do you also think that the niqab does not affect the health of women wearing it, and also the social participation of the women? 

Salam Alaikum.

I was banned for 2 weeks when I made a post about Niqab in the main forums. There many said things like "Its their choice", and "Niqab doesn't stop their contributing to society", etc. 

Do you think niqab is a voluntary choice made by a woman? Do you believe that without external pressure any woman would choose to wear it?

Do you think, if the men of the Ahlulbayt (as) hypothetically wore niqabs then Muslim men today would wear it and promote it? Or do you think they would find various excuses like "Its recommended not to wear it in this age" or "It was there for a specific time"?

Do you also think that the niqab does not affect the health of women wearing it, and also the social participation of the women? 

It is a personal choice.

It doesn't affect the health of the woman as long as she gets her healthy dose of Vitamin D.

The only negative aspect to Niqab is that you cannot know whether it is a man or a woman under it so it can be a security concern.

I've known women who wore it because they like it, and I've known women who wore it because their husbands wanted them to. Either way, it is their life not yours. I, personally, don't prefer to wear niqab, but I don't want people telling me how to live my life, so I don't tell people how to live theirs.

Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Give others the respect you would want. Live and let live.

Salam Alaikum.

Covering the face is not obligatory but it is the woman's choice to do something optional. I know lots of women who have chosen to wear Niqab by their free decisions including my wife. She decided to have it before getting married to me when she was in high school and , FYI, she is healthy alhamdulillah.

I acccept, however, taking this choice depends , to some extent, on social conditions of Hijab and women in each society.  

There is absolutely nothing wrong with niqab. Many women may not want to wear it in a western society but the issue is with society and not the niqab.

Obviously some women will be forced or pressured into wearing a niqab just like many women are pressured into not wearing one.

There is nothing wrong with wearing niqab if the women want to and of course it doesnt affect her health. I have spoken to many women with niqabs on and them wearing it doesnt affect their personality or social interaction. It just means less guys are likely to approach or look at them.

I don't get it. What is the big deal with a woman who chooses to wear niqab anyways? It isn't obligatory but if she chooses to wear then why should that be considered as a problem? I personally wouldn't wear the niqab because I live in the West and there's already Islamophobia everywhere. But I would reconsider if I lived in the Middle East.

Edited by NooralHussain

Salam ,

It is a choice. Having said that , if worn consciously it shows one of the signs of dress / coverage taqwa.

If one would like to observe it but circumstance / situation/ location does not permit, the intention would be counted as the act itself.

Maryam was living most of her youth in an enclosed room where she barely had any contact / seen by any man except Zakariyah.

Edited by tendersoul

Salam Alaikum.

I was banned for 2 weeks when I made a post about Niqab in the main forums.

Salam, titumir. It would have been better if you sent a PM to a Moderator or Administrator rather than to suggest in this topic that the subject of Niqab caused you to be banned. Niqab had nothing to do with your temporary suspension in your previous topic. A Moderator had to edit your post for inappropriate language and you were warned for swearing.

Salam Alaikum.

Living in the West, it is particularly difficult to wear the niqab for various reasons. Number one, naturally being the perception from non-Muslims (or even Muslims). In western society, the hijab is a rather overt sign of one's faith, the niqab would thus, be even more overt. Unfortunately, a woman's Muslim identity is almost obvious, whereas, men you cannot really tell if they are Muslim by first glance. While others assume all Arabs are Muslim, there is still no definitive signs by physical appearance, rather by action. Second, the West is not segregated by gender, as some areas in the Middle East are; thus, women in the West actually wear the hijab/niqab for much longer hours; in school, in restaurant, in public services like hospitals/doctors office, etc. The segregation of the sexes means women do not necessarily have to always wear the hijab/niqab; however, in the West, women basically only take the hijab off indoors. While there are some female-designated only spaces like gyms, there may still be male staff, so women pretty much always have to wear the islamic dress. 

With all forms of Islamic dress--there are those that wear/do not wear it out compulsion and free choice. Some Muslim men may tell their wives to not even wear the hijab out of fearing standing out/bringing criticism. All the same, some men force their wives to wear the hijab or niqab as well. In a perfect world, women would only wear the hijab or niqab for Allah swt, but alas this is not our world.

Social participation is only impeded by others, not the woman wearing the niqab. A woman wearing the niqab may pursue activities like work and education. She is only alienated by others, she does not alienate herself. Depending on where the woman resides, if she is in the West she may be told she cannot acquire a job without removing the face veil. It is not her who is preventing her choice, but society. In Islamic societies, the niqab is usually not frowned upon, and she receives no further alienation from choosing to wear it. Though in some Islamic societies, there are secular spheres which prevent one from wearing Islamic dress (like some governmental offices in Turkey).

I do not know how men would fare wearing the niqab or hijab if it was required of them. Even today, many men make excuses for their behavior when they gaze at women, saying it was the woman's fault for not preserving "proper" hijab. Not to say all men are like this, but I feel their judgement readily falls on the women before themselves. Women still wear the hijab regardless of if men preserve theirs. So why must women wear the hijab for men to persevere their modesty. It is obviously hypocrisy.

I think whether it was forced or not, is no different than with the hijab. Some may be forced. But I'd like to believe most were a personal choice. It's mostly to do with background and culture. Patriarchy plays no role in it. Women can force other women into all sorts of things too, in every culture and in every part of the world. 

Niqab can help you lose the shackles of beauty standards today. It may also help you let go of materialistic things, reach higher levels of spirituality.  

Still, I can't help but think it makes you lose your identity. If all women wore niqab, how will my friends and family know which one of the niqabi wearers I am? No one can read my facial expression. No one will know when I'm sad, happy or angry. It sounds a little lonely. Body language is very important for communication.

Also in the west, with the prejudice, I'm most definitely going to come across odd stares and discrimination. People may even fear me. Question whether I had anything dangerous hidden underneath it. Or perhaps even, whether I was a male in disguise. It can pose security dangers too. 

For this reason, I'm indifferent in this matter. Whether people speak against the niqab or for it; I stand on the fence. If the world were a better place I'd choose the niqab. But it isn't. I don't want to go against it, because I hope for a better world. I also believe in freedom choice. 

My wife loosely covers her face with chador (not niqab) when she is in middle eastern markets or on the airports of GCC when we are making a stop during our travels. Otherwise she takes a normal hijab, a head covering with a scarf when out here in the states. I guess women have this extra sense where they sense the number of eyes staring at them.

I also agree with her opinion that abaya does not cover the hijab, and chador does because abaya is just a loose (or not so loose) shirt as oppose to chador which truly covers the form.

I never forced my wife for either but my respect for her increase greatly when she takes chador in ME or other places where she suspects ogling men would be present.

My grandmother wore it because the scholar she followed - Sayyed al-Khoei [ra] - said that it was obligatory to wear the niqab (based on precaution). She does not wear it now in the West though (she use to live in Iraq), she only wears it in Islamic countries.

She started wearing it at age 9, and my grandfather [rh], when she married him, wanted her to continue wearing it.

Your post was removed as you requested.