Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
baradar_jackson

The Nostalgia Thread

Rate this topic

Oh me God! You joined ShiaChat when it was that horrendous blunder of a mess? And, you stuck around? Goodness me! That be the craziest thing everrrrr!

Ah, bro, yes, I predate SC the forum. As to the emboldened bit above, I have absolutely no doubt about that :blush:

Edited by Marbles

I've been reviewing some of these pages, and have a question:

Doesn't anyone play cards anymore?  Or board games?

I don't have fond memories of board games; my sister used to beat me up if I won. I was stubborn enough that I tried to win anyway. She always won Monopoly because she cheated by slipping extra bills from the bank, but I often beat her at Trivial Pursuit. (I've always been an encyclopedia of useless facts.)

Maybe I should get over it and teach my kids some games.

notuselessfactsme:

I don't have fond memories of board games; my sister used to beat me up if I won. I was stubborn enough that I tried to win anyway. She always won Monopoly because she cheated by slipping extra bills from the bank, but I often beat her at Trivial Pursuit. (I've always been an encyclopedia of useless facts.)

Maybe I should get over it and teach my kids some games.

My older sister was a cheat, too. Even at crochet.

Me, when in grade school, when I realized I had no chance of winning, to use adult idiom, I would experiment with new strategies and continue playing.

What I do look back on and see where games are inadequate, they most all reduce to "stimulus-response" and have no multi-variant options.

Like Monopoly which l liked; Random decision by dice; buy-or-pay-or draw card-or go to jail. But there are no variables.

Edited by hasanhh

For pwwnd123 and those who are following this topic, the Sega commercial was removed. Problems with that 1999 video: the female spy has too tight clothing and no headscarf, she injures [fatally?] the night security guard, airline radar is hacked causing airplane to crash into a tall building (reminiscent of the 9/11 tragedy), theft of motorcycle, car crash and images of violence, and spilling of perfectly good coffee. The final scene of a blonde girl flirting with NFL player Randy Moss was absolutely off-topic for a Sega commercial. ;)

The best nostalgic time, I guess is when we were kids. All we "had" to do was: show-up for meals, show-up for school, 'come-in' on time, and stay-out-of-Mom's-way.

^ Which means you were a boy. When my brothers ran outside to play, I had to wash the dishes, sweep the floor, mop the floor, etc. My mother was my best friend. She took me shopping to buy groceries. :)

Oh man I missed a sega commercial?

Dang it...

Dear brother pwwnd:

To answer your question, no, I do not consider that ad to be nostalgic.

Firstly, because I never saw it until you posted it here.

Secondly, because Super Mario Sunshie is from, like, two years ago. Or something. It's really new, is what I'm saying.

This ad, however, is nostalgic for me (and I am sure you will appreciate it):

^ Which means you were a boy. When my brothers ran outside to play, I had to wash the dishes, sweep the floor, mop the floor, etc. My mother was my best friend. She took me shopping to buy groceries. :)

That is because your mother knew you had to be trained to be a good mother.  ;)

When I was at university we used IBM PCs running MS DOS. A friend discovered Macs in the geography department and that's when I first started to use them and never went back to DOS or windows. This is the very room with the very same Macs. ;) Photo was taken during a visit by Princess Anne (I am not in it).

4416711433_0a9efc2fc2.jpg

Here's another thing from my nostalgia.

win98-1-1.png

That's my first OS. I used it in 2003-2008

and

win95-1-1.png

It was on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop I had when I was younger.

Edited by pwwnd123

When youtube was in its infancy I would often stay up all night playing computer games and listening to this:

I do not mean to brag, but I can do a perfect rendition of this nasheed. Yall would think I'm a real-life Paki, I swear.

Edited by baradar_jackson

Ah, here is another piece of my nostalgia:

Network_Q_RAC_Rally_Championship.jpg

Network Q RAC Rally Championship

My father had this game (he might have gotten it in Saudi Arabia or India) and this is one of the first games I played. I used to play it on one of my old PCs that were running Windows 98.

Anyone find this to be nostalgic?

Edited by pwwnd123

Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? was a video game where you help Interpol catch a criminal, while learning geography. :)

Lol@Carmen Sandiego xD!

Can't recall my first videogame but I know that one. I think the first videogame I pkayed had to be one from the Atari, one of those many videogames added in a pack or collection of games. It is impressive to look back at how everything was. This industry grows so fast, things change so quickly.

Years ago there was a drawing class on educational tv. Commander Mark drew ufo's and stuff in the Secret City show. :)