Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
baradar_jackson

The Nostalgia Thread

Rate this topic

Nostalgic for your former life as an armed robber?

Loool

It is said in the old fictions that the blue part of it could erase the pen!

wna_screenshot_2015-08-13-16-10-56-1_(1)[/centerThe blue part can erase ink, its no fiction. We used to call it 'ink rubber'.

First computer , commodore 64

post-64126-0-45706100-1441023045_thumb.j

post-64126-0-17907000-1441023066_thumb.p

post-64126-0-08456200-1441023116.jpg :lol:

G.I Joe, one of our favourites

post-64126-0-10684700-1441023177.gif

It is said in the old fictions that the blue part of it could erase the pen!

wna_screenshot_2015-08-13-16-10-56-1_(1)

You don't remember it!

The blue part can erase ink, its no fiction. We used to call it 'ink rubber'.

The only thing the blue part erased was my paper! Useless eraser.

Lol Tonks. If it is 98s Paint or XP's, kudos to you. Vista's and post Vista Paints have tried to become something they are not good at, and definitely are not suitable programs for pixel art anymore, in my opinion, when actually older versions of MS Paint were. Curious how ridiculous technology advances for classic arts.

What do you call those? Ice pops? Can't remember the name!

V.jpg

This another nostalgic thing for me:

tumblr_inline_n5dtzwMB7a1r2jiyq.png

It's on Wii and DS. Anyone remember this?

Ok...it's not nostalgic if it has wifi on it!

nes.jpg

This + TMNT2 = nightmare! No saving, no turning it off and playing the next day!

nes.jpg

This + TMNT2 = nightmare! No saving, no turning it off and playing the next day!

My dear old machine...those were the days! I don't throw away faulty stuff so I have a junkyard of old equipment and I recently saw the remote poking its head from a big basket...

I stopped playing games when they started calling it joystick. That was obscene.

Oh if wifi is nostalgic to you, then you're tooooo young to be on SC. WHERE ARE YOUR PARENTS?

My dear old machine...those were the days! I don't throw away faulty stuff so I have a junkyard of old equipment and I recently saw the remote poking its head from a big basket...

I stopped playing games when they started calling it joystick. That was obscene.

Oh if wifi is nostalgic to you, then you're tooooo young to be on SC. WHERE ARE YOUR PARENTS?

Bro Marbles,

"Joystick" refers to this

51ZVNA1Q3GL.jpg

Anything in gaming that is controlled through a stick like that, is called a joystick.

If a controller has a small analog stick, like this:

fix-your-game-controllers-analog-stick-w

That's called a thumbstick.

The controller itself is usually called a gamepad. I am pretty sure nobody ever called an NES pad a joystick unless they were wrong about everything.

Bro Marbles,

"Joystick" refers to this

The controller itself is usually called a gamepad. I am pretty sure nobody ever called an NES pad a joystick unless they were wrong about everything.

No, I'm not calling the Nintendo pad joystick. The new consoles that succeeded Nintendo in our markets came with joysticks like the one you showed above, the first pic. I was so emotionally attached to Nintendo pad that I did not want to learn how to handle what they called a joystick. I played Sega for a while, which came with conventional pad and there was nothing vulgar about handling them. And that was the end of my gaming career, before I was eligible to apply for a passport.

No, I'm not calling the Nintendo pad joystick. The new consoles that succeeded Nintendo in our markets came with joysticks like the one you showed above, the first pic. I was so emotionally attached to Nintendo pad that I did not want to learn how to handle what they called a joystick. I played Sega for a while, which came with conventional pad and there was nothing vulgar about handling them. And that was the end of my gaming career, before I was eligible to apply for a passport.

But the one I showed you is an Atari 2600 joystick. The 2600 came out in like, 1979. Or earlier. Before the NES, in either case.

By the time the NES came out, the gamepad was pretty standard.

All the consoles that came after it came with a gamepad: Genesis/Megadrive, PC Engine / Turbo Grafx 16, SNES, PS1, Saturn, N64, and so on...

By that point, joysticks were only used for flight simulation games and such.

Unless you mean fight sticks, which look like this: http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/106/1063000/tatsunoko-vs-capcom-arcade-fightstick-20100122024339644-000.jpg

But the one I showed you is an Atari 2600 joystick. The 2600 came out in like, 1979. Or earlier. Before the NES, in either case.

By the time the NES came out, the gamepad was pretty standard.

All the consoles that came after it came with a gamepad: Genesis/Megadrive, PC Engine / Turbo Grafx 16, SNES, PS1, Saturn, N64, and so on...

By that point, joysticks were only used for flight simulation games and such.

Unless you mean fight sticks, which look like this: http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/106/1063000/tatsunoko-vs-capcom-arcade-fightstick-20100122024339644-000.jpg

I definitely do not have an encyclopedic knowledge of the gaming consoles, so I don't know what came first and what later. It's my personal gaming trajectory in which the simple gamepads were prominent and those protruding sticks an anomaly. The only thing I know is that I did not take kindly to the latter type of pads. It might have been a subconscious excuse on my part; I was already drifting away towards other, better callings in life, like learning to drive a car, writing romantic letters embellished with poetic verses, playing street cricket, improving my foreign language skills, and trying to stop my uncles from robbing my inheritance et cetera. Gaming by the time of mid-teen years became a child's play.

My 13-year-old likes classic TV. He's watching Mission Impossible lately and was wondering if any other shows were similar.

(salam)

There a few really good ones. Some are B&W.

These are good for understanding technology because these are analogues devices you can understand without knowing silica.

Patrick MacGoohan did a few series: DangerMan/Secret Agent Man -two names same series- and The Prisoner  summer series.

Mission Impossible --supposedly, in the 70s, CIA used this series for trainees to critique; error points, information points, escape points and then what a target's detection points should be, deception points, denial points, and so forth.

Honey West used a van full of analogue devices.

The first season of The Man from UNCLE is good.

It Takes a Thief has a lot of B&E.

If he'd like a movie, then The Man Who Never Was is one of the most famous WW2 stories: "Opn: Mincemeat". The star is Clifton Webb.

The first season of A Person of Interest  is kinda reminiscent of The Prisoner.

This should satisfy his interest.