Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
thuglife

Life Crisis (And A Busta Trying To Get Me Fired)

Rate this topic

Salaaam wr wb

So, I'm at a point in my life where I need to make some decisions. Actually, I have been needing to for years now.

I don't know if I want to pursue a medical or dental career. Or if bench research is what I should do.

What should I do?

I don't particularly feel passion for much. Other than football, perhaps a coaching career in football. The x's and o's intrigue me quite a bit.

Anyways, my family said they can set me up with a Sandwich shop franchise that rhymes with Zubway. So, I went and got hired at one, asking for the graveyard shift, which goes from about 12:30 am to 6 am, at a 24 hour location. I'm the only one in the store, and my main duties include chopping veggies for the next day and preparing food for any customers who come in.

So, the other night at about 1:10 AM, I make his food. Today, my manager came in at 6 AM and said you got a complaint. The guy filled out the receipt survey online to get a free cookie. Funny thing, he came last night again and seemed really hesitant. Like, avoiding eye contact with me and unable to answer my questions, I have to ask twice before I get the reply I need.

"Sir, which bread would you like?"

"The Club," (which is type of sandwich, not bread)

(I have to start with the bread) "Sir, which bread would you like?"

"Italian Herbs & Cheese."

The entire time it was like this, where I couldn't get a reply from the guy, as if he's not functional and needs a second dose before replying.

I know it was him because he showed the code to me to get a free cookie. That is rare, esp this late hour. And adding with his nervous behavior, it's a pretty good guess it was the same guy from the night before who did the survey.

Anyways, so on the survey he said that I was not friendly, didn't seem happy to have his business. The thing is, drunks come in all the time from clubs/bars, They see that I'm working graveyard, they feel sorry and tip me very nicely. Someone once left a $9 tip for $11 worth of food, I'm assuming because he worked somewhere that night, got a really nice tip and shared with me. My mindset already is "be nice with everyone, you never know what they're going to tip." So I really don't know about this guy saying I'm not friendly, not happy to have his business.

I make the sandwiches in ways they do not teach. For example, before toasting, I ask them if they want oil on the bread because it crisps better. I tell them which sauce goes on the bread best and which one goes best after the veggies. This is above and beyond. It comes from years of watching Food Network and experience.

They don't mention people filling out the surveys and complimenting me. I know this for a fact because I asked several friends to fill out the survey for me, and they didn't say "good job, people like you."

And he said that I wrapped the sandwich sloppy. He asked for almost every ingredient. and apparently getting it wrapped did not go well. The manager was like "before you leave, I'm going to show you how to make one." Deep down I'm thinking "If I'm really horrible at wrapping and assembling them, don't you think more people would have complained."

Oh, and he gave a zero for store cleanliness even though everyone working there NEVER cleans the dining area except me, the managers know this, and when I would work during the day, other workers would get mad that I would stop what I'm doing to go wipe down tables and sweep. My shift just started, and I get blamed for it not being clean. But I don't want to mention this logic since the previous crew would get in trouble.

Anyways, I tried explaining to her that I really am friendly and pointed to the late night tipping incentive as proof. I really tried to discredit him and asked what protection do I have against someone who just has it out for me. Apparently there is none. My next complaint (the third one) means I get suspended. From a minimum wage job. Working the least desirable hours.

Oh and the backstory for my very first complaint:

It was my second day working, which was the second day of Ramadan. It's like 4-5 PM, I've been there for quite a few hours, and the dehydration starts to kick in big time. I'm forgetting what goes on which sandwich and kept glancing at a cheat sheet we have posted eye level above the cutting board. A woman wants a sandwich with a lot of processed meats. In my tired and thirsty state, I said, "processed meat cause colon cancer." Which actually is very true. However, many of the meats are processed. She complained and said she didn't like my intrusive questions. Apparently, asking "how's your day" and getting replied with "good, I just got off work" should never be followed up with "cool, where do you work" with this person. Any other customer would appreciate the friendly talk but not her. I don't hope she or her family members get colon cancer, but if they ever do, I hope she pictures me smiling saying "I told you so."

Anyways, the not-so-serious issue here, what should I do? Start saving receipts and filling them out myself?

And the more serious issue, where do i go from here in life?

I heard myself laugh like Muttley reading this.

If youre a dexterous, compassionate person with an artistic eye then consider becoming a dentist and moving to the UK and working for the NHS. The world cant have enough skillful, caring dentists and we really need them here.

On 8/15/2015 at 5:55 PM, Ruq said:

I heard myself laugh like Muttley reading this.

If youre a dexterous, compassionate person with an artistic eye then consider becoming a dentist and moving to the UK and working for the NHS. The world cant have enough skillful, caring dentists and we really need them here.

I had to google it

I heard it rains a lot there. I could wear Burberry London and Brit, yell "tallie ho" when I receive my coffee house coffee. I need to take a trip and visit the place.

^  Unless youre on a horse in a drive-thru 'tallie ho' would be considered improper. When one recieves ones coffee it is de rigueur to reply with 'ta very much' or 'cheers mate, nice one'. We do have nice weather in summer sometimes! It got very hot one day in Ramadan this year, see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33324881 

On 8/15/2015 at 5:34 PM, thuglife said:

I make the sandwiches in ways they do not teach. For example, before toasting, I ask them if they want oil on the bread because it crisps better. I tell them which sauce goes on the bread best and which one goes best after the veggies. This is above and beyond. It comes from years of watching Food Network and experience.

You are obviously wasting your talents at Subway. Have you thought of a Cordon Bleu course?

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Reality shows

MasterChef

My Kitchen Rules

Top Chef

Hell's Kitchen

(Only if you can handle the abuse)

Is that you brother Abu Hassan al 3skiri? Are you keeping a low profile? God forgive you akhi, we miss your company. Why you deny us your humor and entertainment?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

On 8/18/2015 at 9:35 PM, Ruq said:

^  Unless youre on a horse in a drive-thru 'tallie ho' would be considered improper. When one recieves ones coffee it is de rigueur to reply with 'ta very much' or 'cheers mate, nice one'. We do have nice weather in summer sometimes! It got very hot one day in Ramadan this year, see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33324881 

What else can you tell me about the UK? Give me your best pitch. And what's the difference between English, British, Whales? They make you bow to the queen?

And did you hear about this guy using the magna carta to arrest a judge. Life under the magna carta is quite an experience if I can do this:

On 8/19/2015 at 2:01 AM, Haji 2003 said:

You are obviously wasting your talents at Subway. Have you thought of a Cordon Bleu course?

I remember seeing them at a job fair on campus. It's a one or two year program. I don't know if the offer their courses a la cart.

On 8/19/2015 at 6:08 AM, Laayla said:

Is that you brother Abu Hassan al 3skiri? Are you keeping a low profile? God forgive you akhi, we miss your company. Why you deny us your humor and entertainment?

Idk who that is. Not me I swear.

Also, I have been keeping a notebook and putting jokes in it. I might want to put it to use at a comedy club some day soon.

Expensive and extremely hard, but if you can afford joining Le Cordon Bleu, do it. I can tell you it's good by the food and pastry I eat at home XDDDD!

@Ruq something weird happened when I tried to quote your post comment.....

What else can you tell me about the UK? Give me your best pitch. And what's the difference between English, British, Whales? They make you bow to the queen?

And did you hear about this guy using the magna carta to arrest a judge. Life under the magna carta is quite an experience if I can do this:

@ Haji 2003

I remember seeing them at a job fair on campus. It's a one or two year program. I don't know if the offer their courses a la cart (pun intended).

@ Laayla

Idk who that is. Not me I swear.

Also, I have been keeping a notebook and putting jokes in it. I might want to put it to use at a comedy club some day soon

On 8/21/2015 at 2:37 AM, hasanhh said:

thuglife: have you thought of maxillofacial surgery? You can combine both with this. But in your own words, you need that "passion" or you won't get through it.

Yes, I have. If I'm going to put that much time into it, I might as well go into heart surgery or neurosurgery.

Expensive and extremely hard, but if you can afford joining Le Cordon Bleu, do it. I can tell you it's good by the food and pastry I eat at home XDDDD!

you show off you! :d

Edited by apofomysback

On 8/15/2015 at 5:55 PM, Ruq said:

So describe the UK for me. Make your pitch.

On 9/1/2015 at 5:13 PM, thecontentedself said:

Don't bother, nothing great about it. Go live somewhere like nice and sunny like San Francisco or an up and coming foodie town like Austin and work in a taco truck.

Huh?

San Fran is sooo costly, and it's really foggy and windy, not sunny as you might think. Too many red necks and so hot in Austin. I did see a food channel special on food trucks; they can serve really good food.

Huh?

San Fran is sooo costly, and it's really foggy and windy, not sunny as you might think. Too many red necks and so hot in Austin. I did see a food channel special on food trucks; they can serve really good food.

So's England, esp London - costly and smoggy and dirty and cr.appy and grey and noisy and busy. But you might like that typical city life, then London's the place to be, if you got the money.

Obviously there are good places outside of London, esp in the south West where I live, and where some of the best local produce comes, esp fish.

I would still stay in the US if I was you since all the best ideas and trends come from there.

On 9/9/2015 at 11:55 PM, thecontentedself said:

So's England, esp London - costly and smoggy and dirty and cr.appy and grey and noisy and busy. But you might like that typical city life, then London's the place to be, if you got the money.

Obviously there are good places outside of London, esp in the south West where I live, and where some of the best local produce comes, esp fish.

I would still stay in the US if I was you since all the best ideas and trends come from there.

I did change my phone's language to UK English. When I would email, professors think I'm a foreigner.

Ahh yes. The hustle & bustle of the city life. I'm in So Cal, and it's such a laid back relaxing atmosphere. Switching to an urban setting with no parking and everyone honking? I should try it out. Just to do something different. I feel like planning a trip out there. See what's up.

Does it feel weird having a queen? A royal family, what a concept. Everyone goes to work, and they live on taxes from everyone's hard work.

I wonder what reception I'll get with my accent.

Are the police trigger happy like out here?

Look at the sign on the wall. How rare is this?

Dont go to south west, come up north, its more friendly and we have the best sweet treats and the The Curry Mile.

On 9/10/2015 at 6:14 PM, thuglife said:

I did change my phone's language to UK English. When I would email, professors think I'm a foreigner.

Ahh yes. The hustle & bustle of the city life. I'm in So Cal, and it's such a laid back relaxing atmosphere. Switching to an urban setting with no parking and everyone honking? I should try it out. Just to do something different. I feel like planning a trip out there. See what's up.

Does it feel weird having a queen? A royal family, what a concept. Everyone goes to work, and they live on taxes from everyone's hard work.

I wonder what reception I'll get with my accent.

IAre the police trigger happy like out here?

Look at the sign on the wall. How rare is this?

UK police dont carry guns and dont have that unnerving aura that you get around US cops. The Queen is just a person who pops up on TV when she's been given something to read out. I think she's pretty much only obliged to do that at the opening of parliment and we get a little pep talk on Christmas day. My perception is that anti-social evictions are very rare, but i dont know what the statistics are on that. Its very quiet where we live and ive never heard of anyone having problems, but ive seen similar stories mentioned on tv before.

On 9/9/2015 at 11:55 PM, thecontentedself said:

What did you have in mind?

On 9/9/2015 at 9:39 PM, thuglife said:

Go live in Oakland and make a daily commute. It's probably cheaper. Right?

BTW SoCal is not "laid back." It's superficial. There's a difference. (FYI I live here too)

Don't listen to the northerner. It's horrible and cold and wet and lame. And it will take you years to understand what they're saying.

Some people will look at you weird for speaking in an American accent. I still do (speak americano) , albeit it's been watered down since I've moved to the UK, but some are really cool about it and welcome the diversity you bring. And it's a fun topic to talk about...

On 9/11/2015 at 5:47 AM, thecontentedself said:

Don't listen to the northerner. It's horrible and cold and wet and lame. And it will take you years to understand what they're saying.

South has hotter days, but we have warmer nights.

On 9/11/2015 at 6:03 AM, thecontentedself said:

Things like the food truck and the bread revolution spring to mind

Thats not so impressive to somone who isnt obsessed with bread.

On 9/11/2015 at 1:23 PM, Ruq said:

South has hotter days, but we have warmer nights.

What's the point in warmer nights? You can't have a bbq at night. it's too dark to go hiking. and it's uncomfortable to sleep during a warm night.

I wasn't trying to impress you, just stating fact. :dry:

And you would be obsessed with bread, if it was as good as mine :dry:

On 9/11/2015 at 4:07 PM, thecontentedself said:

What's the point in warmer nights? You can't have a bbq at night. it's too dark to go hiking. and it's uncomfortable to sleep during a warm night.

Warmer nights means less risk of blood clots.

I didnt think you were trying to impress me post-73242-0-98346200-1342725291.jpg im pretty sure 90 or so % of the population arent obsessed with bread. Lets see if Thuglife was impressed by the 'bread revolution' (what ever that means).

On 9/11/2015 at 2:56 AM, baradar_jackson said:

Go live in Oakland and make a daily commute. It's probably cheaper. Right?

BTW SoCal is not "laid back." It's superficial. There's a difference. (FYI I live here too)

I want to live where they have the Full House house. Oakland is way too hood.

On 9/11/2015 at 1:23 PM, Ruq said:

LOOOL

I can't recall how long ago.. I was at a super market, and for whatever reason it felt really good to hold, feel and smell every loaf in their bakery. People thought I was a bread connoisseur. The infatuation ran its course.

On 9/11/2015 at 3:05 AM, Wahdat said:

American Cop: 'Stop!!! Or I'll shoot'

British Cop: 'Stop!!! Or I'll shout again'

So how do they deal with physical situations? I can imagine a lot of criminals out here delighted if they knew cops have no guns.

On 9/11/2015 at 5:47 AM, thecontentedself said:

Some people will look at you weird for speaking in an American accent. I still do (speak americano) , albeit it's been watered down since I've moved to the UK, but some are really cool about it and welcome the diversity you bring. And it's a fun topic to talk about...

I thought the whole place gets rainy, only the north huh?

And the whole place is only so big, is there really any difference between North and South?

On 9/11/2015 at 4:07 PM, thecontentedself said:

Night hiking is actually a thing. At least out here.

My father was a baker by profession. What is bread revolution @beardedbaker

On 9/11/2015 at 5:25 PM, thecontentedself said:

Maybe 90% of Liverpool aren't.

Yes, lets.

I'm down for trying new tastes, but I have to know what bread revolution is before I can assess its worthiness.

On 9/12/2015 at 5:52 PM, baradar_jackson said:

Wanting to live near the house from full house... Oakland is "too hood" ... and you call yourself thuglife Tsk tsk

Rofl

Well, I gotta think about others, raising a family and what not. Gotta hang up the holster eventually.