Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mina

11-Year-Old Gives Birth After Pregnancy...

Rate this topic

'An 11-year old girl who became pregnant after being raped by her stepfather and was denied an abortion by Paraguayan authorities has given birth, in the culmination of a case which put renewed focus on Latin America’s strict anti-abortion laws...'

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/paraguay-11-year-old-gives-birth-abortion

What are your thoughts?

I read this today on BuzzFeed..it's just sad. I mean, babies giving birth to babies. 

In cases like these, I am pro-abortion. It isn't the child's fault and she really didn't deserve being put through this. Imagine having a c-section at this age. I've had 2 c-sections and God knows how bad I suffer. I fail to understand why she had to be put through this.

This reminds me of the Kasur child sex scandal in Pakistan that was revealed just this week. Horrible. I say kill all these idiots. 

i say hang the stepfather. these things scare me so bad. i caught a man from our neighborhood kissing haidar (my elder son) on the lips two months back and reading things like these just makes me wish death upon all such people. 

how do we protect our kids? keep them locked up in the house all the time?

Such people should be killed and cremated.

I would reverse the order. Death is too easy a punishment. The child will never recover from the abuse. Why should the assailant get a quick and easy death? I know they will face justice in the hereafter, but I think a bit of justice in the here and now would discourage others from doing the same.

i say hang the stepfather. these things scare me so bad. i caught a man from our neighborhood kissing haidar (my elder son) on the lips two months back and reading things like these just makes me wish death upon all such people. 

how do we protect our kids? keep them locked up in the house all the time?

What did you do when you saw that?

I wonder why the article is more focused on the girl not being allowed an abortion than on her being raped by her stepfather. The writer worries about long term consequences of the pregnancy, but there is little mention of the abuse and assault.

I read about this a while ago, and the mom said she had alerted the authorities about the abuse of the step father before her daughter became pregnant but was ignored.  Even so, kind of strange that she allowed it to go on. There is a big piece of the story missing here.  

I would reverse the order. Death is too easy a punishment. The child will never recover from the abuse. Why should the assailant get a quick and easy death? I know they will face justice in the hereafter, but I think a bit of justice in the here and now would discourage others from doing the same.

I dont think sickos are discourageable.  Best to get him out of sight and out of mind as soon as possible. 

I read about this a while ago, and the mom said she had alerted the authorities about the abuse of the step father before her daughter became pregnant but was ignored.  Even so, kind of strange that she allowed it to go on. There is a big piece of the story missing here.

Very strange. Maybe the mother was afraid of the stepfather, or was afraid of being alone. People in abusive relationships suffer from depression and PTSD, which impair their ability to think clearly and act decisively.

Definitely there is more to this story than the media is telling.

Honestly, ghosts and jinns and the like are very disturbing. But the most disturbing to me is the ability of humans. Acts like this make me so disgusted i think to myself how are they even the same species as us. 

We also have to think about the past if these pedophiles. How do they become like this. Usually traumatic experiences from a young age. Still there is no excuse.

Btw, the punishment for men raping women in Shi'a Islam is death. Probably the only Hadd Law some of the people here would love.

In cases like these, I am pro-abortion.

Abortion is murder. So because someone else's life was ruined, that means another innocent soul's life should be taken away? Edited by The Batman

Abortion is more complex than that, especially in such cases. I would also advise on aborting, carrying a baby and goving birth is not a task adecuate for a kid. The emotional burden it supposes is not bearable by everybody.

I have sadly meet two cases like this in my life. One with a boy and another one with a girl. The girl didn't get pregnant but got a STD. It is extremely tough, and it's not easy to find out about these cases.

Edited by Bakir

Btw, the punishment for men raping women in Shi'a Islam is death. Probably the only Hadd Law some of the people here would love.

Abortion is murder. So because someone else's life was ruined, that means another innocent soul's life should be taken away?

Yes, I know abortion is murder, but we're talking about an 11 year old here - do you really think she deserves being a mother when she should be playing with dolls and going to school?

it's easy for you to say this but trust me, pregnancy and childbirth can drive even women my age to depression, frustration and a whole lot more - this is just a kid who deserves better. motherhood is NOT all googoo gaga with the baby you know.

I am not in favor of abortion here, unless the pregnancy causes danger to the mother's life. But it doesn't matter what we think should be allowed; she didn't have an abortion.

Allowing the child to be adopted into a good family that can't have children would be a feasible option.

Yes, I know abortion is murder, but we're talking about an 11 year old here - do you really think she deserves being a mother when she should be playing with dolls and going to school?

it's easy for you to say this but trust me, pregnancy and childbirth can drive even women my age to depression, frustration and a whole lot more - this is just a kid who deserves better. motherhood is NOT all googoo gaga with the baby you know.

That doesn't mean that an innocent baby has to be killed. I understand the pain which a woman can go through, but really, an innocent baby who was at no fault? 

Edited by The Batman

I read this today on BuzzFeed..it's just sad. I mean, babies giving birth to babies. 

In cases like these, I am pro-abortion. It isn't the child's fault and she really didn't deserve being put through this. Imagine having a c-section at this age. I've had 2 c-sections and God knows how bad I suffer. I fail to understand why she had to be put through this.

This reminds me of the Kasur child sex scandal in Pakistan that was revealed just this week. Horrible. I say kill all these idiots. 

I took a Women Studies course.

The natural position for birth is actually standing so that gravity naturally pulls the baby out, meaning there's no need for heavy pushing.

The way it is done now (laying on one's back and pushing hard) is only physically convenient for the doctor, who doesn't have to "get underneath."

Look into midwives. Their teachings go back to olde times. In fact, there might be a YouTube video comparing the two techniques.

We all have our opinions; you have yours and I have mine. Nobody has to agree with what I think. It's just my opinion that if something of this sort happens to a kid this young, an abortion should be done. Things don't end at giving birth - the long-term consequences are there too. 

We all have our opinions; you have yours and I have mine. Nobody has to agree with what I think. It's just my opinion that if something of this sort happens to a kid this young, an abortion should be done. Things don't end at giving birth - the long-term consequences are there too.

I agree with you that abortion would be appropriate in this scenario, no eleven year old girl should be burdened with motherhood while her friends play and do whatever kids do; Parenthood is a huge responsibility and requires a great deal of mental maturity, with the way kids are these days, do you really see the girl fulfilling the responsibilities of being a parent, she hasn't gone through adolescent development, Ibrahimi. Who knows what could happen to her,she could potentially develop postpartum depression or psychosis, Allahu Allam. This disturbing incident and the scandal what happened at Kasur is what I wish to fight against, Apo. The sooner the children's safety is ensured from monstrous perverts, the more secure our future will be in the hands of the next generation. I did some research on pedophilia for a class project once in high school and I found that these people cannot be cured or rehabilitated into society and a lot of the United States' treasury and taxpayer money goes into keeping these people alive in prison for futile "rehabilitation". It is pointless to keep these monsters alive, the only solution to correcting the behavior of pedophiles is death.

I agree with you that abortion would be appropriate in this scenario, no eleven year old girl should be burdened with motherhood while her friends play and do whatever kids do; Parenthood is a huge responsibility and requires a great deal of mental maturity, with the way kids are these days, do you really see the girl fulfilling the responsibilities of being a parent, she hasn't gone through adolescent development, Ibrahimi. Who knows what could happen to her,she could potentially develop postpartum depression or psychosis, Allahu Allam. This disturbing incident and the scandal what happened at Kasur is what I wish to fight against, Apo. The sooner the children's safety is ensured from monstrous perverts, the more secure our future will be in the hands of the next generation. I did some research on pedophilia for a class project once in high school and I found that these people cannot be cured or rehabilitated into society and a lot of the United States' treasury and taxpayer money goes into keeping these people alive in prison for futile "rehabilitation". It is pointless to keep these monsters alive, the only solution to correcting the behavior of pedophiles is death.

so so true Gaius. motherhood, like i said, isn't all about getting pregnant, giving birth, and going all googoo gaga. there's postpartum depression, recovery and not to forget the girl had a c-section, which is equally hard to recover from - and this is the body of an 11 year old that we're talking about. and you're right about her not even going through adolescent development. this is where you draw a line between religion and humanism. yes the baby is innocent, but it isn't even born yet - on the other hand, this girl is so young how do you expect her to recover? 

adoption is a way out of course, but what about the toll that pregnancy and childbirth (not to forget all that sexual abuse) must have taken on her? and even adoption leaves its impact on the mind. i've had a kid adopted and i know how messed up a girl can become if she starts missing her child. i just think putting her through all this pain was unnecessary. i dont think it's right to make a living being suffer so badly for one who hasn't even made it yet in this world. 

so so true Gaius. motherhood, like i said, isn't all about getting pregnant, giving birth, and going all googoo gaga. there's postpartum depression, recovery and not to forget the girl had a c-section, which is equally hard to recover from - and this is the body of an 11 year old that we're talking about. and you're right about her not even going through adolescent development. this is where you draw a line between religion and humanism. yes the baby is innocent, but it isn't even born yet - on the other hand, this girl is so young how do you expect her to recover? 

adoption is a way out of course, but what about the toll that pregnancy and childbirth (not to forget all that sexual abuse) must have taken on her? and even adoption leaves its impact on the mind. i've had a kid adopted and i know how messed up a girl can become if she starts missing her child. i just think putting her through all this pain was unnecessary. i dont think it's right to make a living being suffer so badly for one who hasn't even made it yet in this world.

Exactly, I wouldn't know how the girl would recover physically , let alone the consequences the birth has on her body or mind when at an age where they are both in the process of developing.

Abortion is indeed an incredibly complicated topic.  Quite a sad turn of events.

I wonder why the article is more focused on the girl not being allowed an abortion than on her being raped by her stepfather. The writer worries about long term consequences of the pregnancy, but there is little mention of the abuse and assault.

Probably because that is the contentious bit, you wouldn't find anyone condoning the rape, on the other hand quite a lot of people would be for abortion in this particular case, something the local authorities prevented due to it's illegality. 

Edited by King

If we are in favour of abortions in this case then what we are in essence saying is that we don't really believe it amounts to killing the unborn child (in which case opposing any abortion becomes problematic), or that we are in favour of killing the unborn child simply because it is emotionally difficult for the mother to deal with. Is this a sufficient to take a life?

No doubt this is an extremely difficult case, and perhaps many of us if faced with this situation in regards to our own child might take the abortion option. However, what we might want to do in those circumstances, and what is objectively right are not necessarily the same thing. Aborting a child is murder in Islam (as well as any other morally consistent basis that rejects infanticide), and the only reason for allowing it would be if the health of the mother was at stake, which was clearly not the case here.