Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Chaotic Muslem

Don't Tell My Mother I'm In Iran

Rate this topic

Nice documentary... but the first part of it reminded me of a sad event=>

The last time I went to the mountain (Tochal) for skiing with a group of hijabi sisters it wasn't that fun at all.

Bcoz non-religious tehrani guys made fun of our hijabs and told us our place is in the mosque not there.

I don't know why they dislike seeing muslim women with hijab sporting.

Anyway, there are other places in Tehran (ex: restaurants and music concerts) were hijabis are not welcome :(

Nice documentary... but the first part of it reminded me of a sad event=>

The last time I went to the mountain (Tochal) for skiing with a group of hijabi sisters it wasn't that fun at all.

Bcoz non-religious tehrani guys made fun of our hijabs and told us our place is in the mosque not there.

I don't know why they dislike seeing muslim women with hijab sporting.

Salam/Shalom/Peace Endless MD,

That's cool that you and your hijabi sisters went skiing!!! :)   I really admire that! I went skiing just once and it was so much fun! Just pray for the dudes who judge you based on your hijab, k?

Anyway, there are other places in Tehran (ex: restaurants and music concerts) were hijabis are not welcome :(

In Tehran, isn't it the law for women to have at least a hijab on? Or is that not the law? Thanks.

Peace and God bless you with His amazing love, peace and joy!

It is good because they didnt give a bad picture of iran and showed that their people live normally

Salam/Shalom/Peace Ali_

I haven't watched it yet, but I will ask my hubby if he wants to watch it with me. :)

Peace and may God bless you with His amazing love, peace and joy!

Edited by Christianlady

That's cool that you and your hijabi sisters went skiing!!! :)

Thank you dear! It was actually my idea!

When I was in Tehran I heard so much about the mountain (Tochal) and wanted to go there mainly to take photos.

I gathered a group of foreign students from the private girls dorm.

It was a nice trip but ended horribly.....well I couldn't control my anger and hit one of the guys, coz he threw snowball on my friend and made her cry :( poor sis! She cried the entire way home.

I've learnt a lesson, if you plan skiing in Tehran go with your husband or brother or a male relative.... It's not a safe place for girls!

In Tehran, isn't it the law for women to have at least a hijab on? Or is that not the law? Thanks

Yes, it's a law! But many tehrani people "especially those pretending being rich" they don't follow this law.

If you visit the rich part of Tehran (so called balaye shahr) and wear the hijab in proper way (not showing your hair from back or front) people there will make you feel uncomfortable, staring at you or start making fun of you.

Edited by EndlessMD

Salam/Shalom/Peace EndlessMD,

Thank you dear! It was actually my idea!

Cool idea!

When I was in Tehran I heard so much about the mountain (Tochal) and wanted to go there mainly to take photos.
I gathered a group of foreign students from the private girls dorm.
It was a nice trip but ended horribly.....well I couldn't control my anger and hit one of the guys, coz he threw snowball on my friend and made her cry :( poor sis! She cried the entire way home.

Oh I'm sorry! :( I've had many snowball fights with male and female friends which are a lot of fun, but that didn't sound like your friend wanted a snowball fight. Did he throw it hard at her? :( That is so mean. :( May God convict him to be kind!

I've learnt a lesson, if you plan skiing in Tehran go with your husband or brother or a male relative.... It's not a safe place for girls!

Ah. :( That's sad. Did y'all complain to the people in charge of the ski resort?

Yes, it's a law! But many tehrani people "especially those pretending being rich" they don't follow this law.
If you visit the rich part of Tehran (so called balaye shahr) and wear the hijab in proper way (not showing your hair from back or front) people there will make you feel uncomfortable, staring at you or start making fun of you.

Well, that's sad that they make fun of you. :( I do like the hijab being worn with a bit of hair showing. My husband and I watched the YouTube in question and it was really cool the different ways that the hijab is worn in Iran, as opposed to much stricter Muslim societies such as Saudi Arabia.

I have to say, someday I need to try wearing a hijab the Iranian way for some women in their 30s. :) I wonder what the reactions of my fellow Americans would be? I would love love love to visit Iran someday with my husband!!!! :) I really hope the deal with Iran opens doors for Americans to visit Iran!

Anyways, I think it is cool for you to wear the hijab voluntarily, whether commanded to by the law or not. Peace and may God greatly bless you with His amazing love, peace and joy! :)

Edited by Christianlady

...but that didn't sound like your friend wanted a snowball fight. Did he throw it hard at her?

Noooooo, she didn't want it :(

She was the only sister among us wearing black chador (it's usually worn by religious Iranian women).

I felt responsible about what happened bcoz when I invited my religious friend to the trip she warned me something like this might happen to her. I assured her everything will be fine.

But now I know some tehranis hate hijabi/chadori girls and they're not afraid of showing their hatred openly.

Ah. :( That's sad. Did y'all complain to the people in charge of the ski resort

Of course we did! But they told us we were to blame. This place is not good for muslim women.... it's for those non-religious people who like to take their hijabs off and bring their boyfriends/girlfriends with them. Usually they come to the mountain to meet each other (not for the sake of sporting) but mainly to smoke shisha tobacco and drug themselves.

Drug and alcohol abuse is common among those rich tehranis, best place to do that is up in the mountains!

I do like the hijab being worn with a bit of hair showing.

First of all I wouldn't call that hijab! Those Iranian women who show their hair are not hijsbist. They're forced by the law to wear it. If they were allowed to take it off they won't hesitate a minute.

I used to study in Tehran and most of the female students in my class disliked wearing hijab.

They couldn't believe some women in the west wear proper hijab from their own will. They think all women in the world are forced to it.

Anyway dear Christianlady (nice to conversate with you, I have much more to tell you! but I must go back to study), my last advice=>

you shouldn't wear something you don't believe in from the depth of your heart.

If you want to wear a piece of cloth/fabric to protect your hair from the wind or like a fashion style then go on. But plz don't call it hijab.

I would love love love to visit Iran someday with my husband!!!! :) I really hope the deal with Iran opens doors for Americans to visit Iran!

Btw, it's possible for you to visit Iran even if you're American.

Check this site:

http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy7590/

I know a couple who applied for visa through the Swiss embassy in Tehran and got accepted.

Contact them and ask where to get a visa. Inshallah it works for you.

Khoda Hafez/be omide didar/Peace!

I am sorry but I couldn't watch it after he said "chock full of contradictions."

I know this documentary is probably not the worst thing ever made... but I just wish for once, these people could make a documentary about our country without falling into ridiculous tropes. 

The ONE documentary about Iran in Western media that showed a different perspective was "once upon a time in Iran" which was not flawless but at least different.

I am sorry but I couldn't watch it after he said "chock full of contradictions."

I know this documentary is probably not the worst thing ever made... but I just wish for once, these people could make a documentary about our country without falling into ridiculous tropes. 

The ONE documentary about Iran in Western media that showed a different perspective was "once upon a time in Iran" which was not flawless but at least different.

Ditto.

Documentaries about Iran aired by American and European media are heavily Eurocentric and stupefy the mind.

Avoid them at all costs.