Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Regarding Alcohol 2% In Food...

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Assalmualaikum,

So according to Sayed Sistani, "... It is also permissible to eat such food if the amount of alcohol is very minute, e.g., 2%." I

I am not quite familiar with this ruling but my question is, does it mean any food that has 2% or does it have to come from a natural occurrence such as fermentation.

I ask because I eat sushi and the soy sauce brand Yamasa adds additional alcohol to their soy sauce for a total of 1.8% alcohol in their soy sauce. Can someone shed some light on this matter?

Thank you and Jazakallah!

• Basic Members

Assalmualaikum,

So according to Sayed Sistani, "... It is also permissible to eat such food if the amount of alcohol is very minute, e.g., 2%." I

I am not quite familiar with this ruling but my question is, does it mean any food that has 2% or does it have to come from a natural occurrence such as fermentation.

I ask because I eat sushi and the soy sauce brand Yamasa adds additional alcohol to their soy sauce for a total of 1.8% alcohol in their soy sauce. Can someone shed some light on this matter?

Va aleyke salam

According to Halal Standards it is not allowed to use alcohol in foods.

Regards,

Fuad

• Veteran Member

With all due respect, ultimately I remember the hadith of Imam Ali (as) when he said that alcohol is so najis-ul-'ayn that if it is dropped in a river and its water is used to irrigate a wheat crop then I will refuse to eat the grains of that field. I used to be fond of non-alcoholic beverages from which the traces of alcohol had been removed but by virtue of that hadith and its obligatory precaution I abandoned all food stuff that had alcohol removed from it. That said, there are some who argue backed by another hadith that if alcohol containing food is cooked on fire it becomes ok to eat as alcohol evaporates with cooking. But I'm sticking with the first one.

• Advanced Member

Do not drink orange juice or eat oranges.  There’s ethanol in them!

"Many people are surprised to learn that orange juice naturally contains a small amount of alcohol. The alcohol has not been added to the juice, but is produced by fermentation which occurs when yeasts or bacteria convert sugars into carbon dioxide and alcohol. There are many naturally-occurring yeasts on the orange peel, and some of them get into the juice when the orange is handled or squeezed. . . . . After the orange is picked the ethanol content continues to increase, depending on how long and in what conditions the orange is stored.  . . . .  After eight weeks of storage he obtained ethanol readings up to 0.31% ABW (0.39% ABV). "

Source and for more information on ethanol in citrus see   http://quezi.com/14067

Kind Regards,

Farside 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Well 2% is actually a pretty high amount of alcohol, I wouldn't call it "very minute". Beer only has about 4-5%, and that's plenty to get drunk with. 

With all due respect, ultimately I remember the hadith of Imam Ali (as) when he said that alcohol is so najis-ul-'ayn that if it is dropped in a river and its water is used to irrigate a wheat crop then I will refuse to eat the grains of that field. 

By that standard it's just about impossible to eat or drink anything. 

Edited by terra
  • Advanced Member

Assalmualaikum,

Salam

Due to Ayatullah Sistani:

If the alcohol that is added to the food is counted as "intoxicating liquid", -even though it is less then 2%- you can not use that food. because that liquid is Najis, and when it is mixed with food it will make the food Najis too.

But if that alcohol is not counted as "intoxicating liquid", then it is permissible to eat the food.

• Veteran Member

With all due respect, ultimately I remember the hadith of Imam Ali (as) when he said that alcohol is so najis-ul-'ayn that if it is dropped in a river and its water is used to irrigate a wheat crop then I will refuse to eat the grains of that field. I used to be fond of non-alcoholic beverages from which the traces of alcohol had been removed but by virtue of that hadith and its obligatory precaution I abandoned all food stuff that had alcohol removed from it. That said, there are some who argue backed by another hadith that if alcohol containing food is cooked on fire it becomes ok to eat as alcohol evaporates with cooking. But I'm sticking with the first one.

Do you have a reference for this?

• Advanced Member

Alcoholic intoxicants (like beer, wine etc.) are Najis, not alcohol itself. The Syed makes this very clear in his risalah. 

"112. All Alcoholic liquors and beverages which intoxicate a person, are najis and on the basis of recommended precaution, everything which is originally liquid and intoxicates a person, is najis. Hence narcotics, like, opium and hemp, which are not li quid originally, are Pak, even when a liquid is added to them.

113. All kinds of industrial alcohol used for painting doors, windows, tables, chairs etc. are Pak."

In a different area he says:

"All kinds of alcohol (whether extracted from wood or other sources) is pure, not najis. So, the medicines, the perfumes, and the food containing alcohol are pure and can be used. It is also permissible to eat such food if the amount of alcohol is very minute."

Thus, when the Syed says you can consume things with minute amounts of alcohol in them, he means things that are not from an alcoholic liquor.  

It becomes clearer in his QandA section:

Question: Alcohol is used in the production of many drugs and medications: Is it permissible to take them? Are they considered pure (tahir)?

Answer: They are pure; and since the alcohol used in them is so minute that it dissolves in them, it is therefore permissible to take them also.

Edited by Al-Afasy
  • Advanced Member

Anything flavored with vanilla would have a minute amount of alcohol.

Sis notme, should one avoid all store bought cookies and baked products made in the West, that list vanilla as an ingredient? (I specified the bit about having been manufactured in Western countries, because at least in my country, they generally use synthetic vanilla flavoring).

• Moderators

Sis notme, should one avoid all store bought cookies and baked products made in the West, that list vanilla as an ingredient? (I specified the bit about having been manufactured in Western countries, because at least in my country, they generally use synthetic vanilla flavoring).

According to my marja, minute quantities are allowed. As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, solutions containing alcohol are not najis, but alcohol itself is haram to consume. The use of alcohol for sterilizing surfaces or as a solute for medicines and flavorings does not render a surface or medicine or food najis, and such foods may be consumed as long as the quantity of alcohol is too small to be detectable without laboratory equipment and (of course) too small to produce an intoxication effect.

• 5 weeks later...

as salamu alaykum,

rasul Allah sawa said in a mashur hadith that is akhbar Wahid al hassanat and jamain (accepted by sunni wa shiah ul haqq)

"a believer avoids what is doubtful"

there for for those following marja-i-din that allow minor alchol than they can use this things and stay with in islam, for the marja-i-din has to give fatwa according to what is derived from the sources that can solve the issuses for the majority of people ie those at the lowest level of iman, but the din being iman is in the riawayah of the aimmah their, the marja-i-din may Allah dat ul dat bless all of them, give fatwa according to the level of islam, but they themselves act on the level of taqwa wa iman, sayyid Sistani may consider it halal to eat things with less then 2% alchol but you will not see him eat such things by precaution as he will avoid what is doubtful due to his level of taqwa and iman.

fiamanallahi

Guest silasun

“All kinds of alcohol (whether extracted from wood or other sources) is pure, not najis. So, the medicines, the perfumes, and the food containing alcohol are pure and can be used. It is also permissible to eat such food if the amount of alcohol is very minute, e.g., 2%.”

Guys, are you sure it is 2% alcohol and not 0.2%. As you know, in Europe it is common to write 0,2% where English people would write 0.2%. If you see according to the quote, there is a comma before the 2%. 2% alcohol seems to be quite high.

You can also refer to this article:

http://www.14publications.com/question-and-answer/trace-amounts-of-alcohol-in-food/

edit:

Ignore me, I checked the original version of the book; the 2% is safe:

جواب : إذا كان احتمال كونها مأخوذة من المذكى موهوماً لا يعتني به العقلاء كاحتمال 2% فهي محكومة بالنجاسة، ولا يجوز لبسها في الصلاة. وأما في غير هذه الصورة فيبنى على طهارتها وتجوز الصلاة فيها.

Edited by silasun
  • 3 weeks later...