Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Ñear Death Experiences And Coming Back

Rate this topic

notme

• Moderators

Salam

While sitting in the mechanic's waiting room, I met a guy who had the most interesting story to tell. He told me about his death, 20 years ago.

He described walking down a tunnel and coming out at a wall. The wall was bright white and looked solid, but when he put his hand on it, it passed through, so he walked through. A "figure" (which the man didn't describe) approached him, said "It isn't your time, you have to go back." And then the man saw darkness and felt terrible pain. He opened his eyes, but still saw only white, only a dull white now. He shouted in pain, and moments later heard footsteps and a nurse pulled back the sheet that covered his face and exclaimed "You're not dead!"

Later, the man's wife told him he had been dead, no synaptic activity was detected for 5 days that he was in a coma on life support. They had disconnected life support and declared him dead and were only waiting for the mortuary to pick him up before he woke up.

I acknowledge the story could be fiction: telling outlandish tales is part of southern culture, but other, similar stories exist.

What I'm wondering if whether there is any Islamic explanation for what this man experienced. He didn't indicate any religion, but in the southern US, it is generally safe to assume he was either Christian, nominally Christian, or agnostic. He described his experience as positive, not frightening or painful. Was he at the door to purgatory? Are there any hadiths describing what happens at the moment of death, and do they match this man's story?

• Veteran Member

I don't know if people who have 'near-death experiences' can actually be said to experience what it is like when we die. Obviously God decides when our time is up, and there is nothing we can do about that. So someone who's time wasn't actually up would not necessarily be having the same experience as someone who was actually dead. However, it would be interesting to see if there are any hadiths that would correlate with these experiences.

• Advanced Member

(bismillah) 

When I was reading The sourcefield investigations by David Wilcock, he recounted a very fascinating experiment conducted by a famous Russian doctor--I'm sorry I forgot the name. Basically, the doctor wanted to see if there was any measurable physical change in the bodies of individuals who claimed to have had near death experiences when they were proclaimed "clinically dead." 

He conducted a massive experiment. Over 300 people in a huge Russian hospital were proclaimed clinically dead. Prior to this he had measured the mass of all these patients. However, over 64-67 people were revived and claimed to have NDEs--near death experiences. Of this number, he saw that over 60% experienced a dramatic decrease in their mass while being clinically dead. They later regained this mass once their heart started working again. As per the principles of science, since it was more than 50% of the patients who experienced this fall in mass, something real had happened. All factors were ruled out. The only other explanation was that the "consciousness" or "soul" of the people had temporarily left the body while having a NDE. According to him, this is why the relatives of people who have had NDEs often claim to see ghost like apparitions of the deceased. We can perhaps explain the drop in mass if we assume the soul or consciousness to be a subtle form of energy. According to Einstein, all mass is merely compressed energy so when a person is having a NDE they might give some of their mass as energy. Eastern religions often talk about Chakras or energy centres in the body. Nashbandi Sufis talk about the 7 lataif also called the subtle energy centres. I find all of this very interesting. According to the doctor who conducted this experiment, this could be our proof for the existence of the soul.

In fact, there have been many many many experiments conducted by highly respected Russian scientists that have revealed similar results. They were published as early as the 90s in highly respected science journals. Western science is trying very hard to ignore this research. Those who had read it call it "a waste of time" or "knowledge without any practical benefit."

Subhanallah!

• Advanced Member

Near death experience are quute interesting there are cases of people describing there iin surgery when put under general anaosthetic very accurately from a position above every one, like floating near the ceiling. This was from a dcumentary u watched so take it with a pinch if salt

Edited by Q.A

• Forum Administrators

Moat or Mote or Maut as in Malikul Moat, and Foat or Fote or Faut. A relative who speaks Farsi told me a few years ago the difference between the two words, but all I remember is Moat/Mote/Maut means death. Foat/Fote/Faut means something similar but different. 

• Veteran Member

NDE's are fascinating, its quite a broad umbrella though i think; you dont have to have been medically pronounced dead to have an experience that would come under 'NDE' catagory. I really hate stories where people have been pronounced dead and end up waking up in morgues or coffins though, brrrrr gives me the heebie jeebies. Thats one of the bonuses of having an organ donor card - theres no way theyre going to bury you alive if youve had your vitals taken out.

• Advanced Member

Most Bible-believing and God-fearing Christians refuse to believe these nonsense of people going to heaven or hell and coming back. It is all fiction. If you die, that's it. You either enter the presence of God at Abraham's side or you go to Hades and suffer torments.

• Moderators

Most Bible-believing and God-fearing Christians refuse to believe these nonsense of people going to heaven or hell and coming back. It is all fiction. If you die, that's it. You either enter the presence of God at Abraham's side or you go to Hades and suffer torments.

But the man I talked with didn't say anything about heaven or hell, not even purgatory. He didn't say anything related to religion at all: hallway, bright white wall, figure says "you have to go back", pain, walking up. All this after 5 days of being "brain dead" kept alive on machines, then disconnected and declared dead.

• Basic Members

I was actually about to start a thread on a similar subject. There are TONS of stories and articles online about near death experiences for Christians. I'm wondering if anyone on these boards has had a NDE? Or why there doesn't seem to be too much written on Muslims and NDE. Just curious.