Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Niqab

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Niqab!

Its so ugly! I walk along the streets of Dhaka, I see these fat, dumpy, unhealthy women waddling along wearing this ridiculous costume! I now also see little girls - 8 or 9 years old maybe - also wearing this ridiculous thing, walking alongside their waddling mothers, fully draped in black, like some alien monster! Where did this practice come from? Is it really in Islam? Where is the evidence? Did the Prophet (saaw) command women to dress is this ridiculous fashion? Did women in during the Prophet's time wear this thing? Did the Prophet(saaw) command women to stay shut up in their houses and not come out, like these women do? Did not men and women pray together at the mosque during the Prophet(saaw)'s time? I remember reading something to that effect when I was Sunni, in Bukhari.

For Allah's sake dear brothers and sisters let us get rid of this ridiculous thing!

• Advanced Member

Niqab!

Its so ugly! I walk along the streets of Dhaka, I see these fat, dumpy, unhealthy women waddling along wearing this ridiculous costume! I now also see little girls - 8 or 9 years old maybe - also wearing this ridiculous thing, walking alongside their waddling mothers, fully draped in black, like some alien monster! Where did this practice come from? Is it really in Islam? Where is the evidence? Did the Prophet (saaw) command women to dress is this ridiculous fashion? Did women in during the Prophet's time wear this thing? Did the Prophet(saaw) command women to stay shut up in their houses and not come out, like these women do? Did not men and women pray together at the mosque during the Prophet(saaw)'s time? I remember reading something to that effect when I was Sunni, in Bukhari.

For Allah's sake dear brothers and sisters let us get rid of this ridiculous thing!

Salaam, you should take it easy with the tone.

This is a good article hijaab which you should read:

https://hubeali.com/articles/Hijab%20for%20women%20and%20men.pdf

As for Niqaab, as far as I'm aware; it is more of a cultural option that some women prefer to adopt, it is not considered waajib nor part of the mandatory hijaab requirements.

• Advanced Member

Would you prefer if those women walked around in jeans and tight T-shirts?

Yes! Tight jeans and Tight T-shirts! Because in that case at least they would watch their health, exercise and also encourage their girls to do the same!

Sarcasm aside, all this talk about objectification of women in the West is total [Edited Out]. I mean, when did we ever see a niqabi become a top (or even a middling) intellectual or other meaningful and productive individual? Many Muslims quickly retort with the "I covered my body not my brains" canard but since when did niqabis stand out in any educational/intellectual/cultural field? Never! They have no achiement, nothing! 

Edited by Muhammed Ali

• Veteran Member

If you walk through the Arab area of London, you would wish that more women wore the burqa, the Emirati style of applying loads of pink and blue make up to their faces is scary.

(Unless they all happen to be visually impaired, in which case they have a valid excuse.)

• Veteran Member

I see these fat, dumpy, unhealthy women waddling along wearing this ridiculous costume!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Bro., I needed a good laugh like that today !!!

Although, that's one mental image I could've done without.... :sick:

• Veteran Member

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Bro., I needed a good laugh like that today !!!

Although, that's one mental image I could've done without.... :sick:

You think it's funny to make fun of Muslim women for doing nothing other than dressing in a way recommended by their religion? I think that says a lot about you.

• Veteran Member

You think it's funny to make fun of Muslim women for doing nothing other than dressing in a way recommended by their religion? I think that says a lot about you.

Nope, whatever a woman wears is her business. 

I found the fact that he mentioned them as fat and dumpy as well as waddling along to be quite humorous. In fact I'm still laughing thinking about it.

Secondly, who exactly are you and when were you given any authority to pass any judgment on me ? Just because you have that stupid Mod title next to your screen name doesn't make you any "Holier than thou" than anyone else. 

• Veteran Member

Covering your body is one thing – wearing 30 metres of black fabric that impairs your most basic movements is another… and there is no need, according to the Quran, to cover your face…it is a basically cultural choice (dictate?).  I prefer to breathe unimpeded and take deep oxygen rich breaths that are not contaminated with dust, fabric threads and whatever I sneezed or coughed out of my lungs lately.

These women are usually in pain walking as they are in horrendous physical shape – because they cannot move enough to keep their muscles strong and body aligned properly.  I agree with the waddling – that is caused by lack of core body strength, which means the hips, and lower back muscles take on the duties that the core should be doing in one’s physical mobility.

Being mobile and healthy can be achieved while covered and modest..  You cannot move effectively in some of these culturally sanctioned garments.

Attacking someone for stating the obvious is narrow minded and poorly thought out.  Women are not obligated to live in pain and poor health.  Poor movement --> obesity --> poor cardio health and increased incidence of asthma, diabetes (and all that entails) and increased risk of cancer.

Edited by Maryaam

• Advanced Member

Covering your body is one thing – wearing 30 metres of black fabric that impairs your most basic movements is another… and there is no need, according to the Quran, to cover your face…it is a basically cultural choice (dictate?).  I prefer to breathe unimpeded and take deep oxygen rich breaths that are not contaminated with dust, fabric threads and whatever I sneezed or coughed out of my lungs lately.

These women are usually in pain walking as they are in horrendous physical shape – because they cannot move enough to keep their muscles strong and body aligned properly.  I agree with the waddling – that is caused by lack of core body strength, which means the hips, and lower back muscles take on the duties that the core should be doing in one’s physical mobility.

Being mobile and healthy can be achieved while covered and modest..  You cannot move effectively in some of these culturally sanctioned garments.

Attacking someone for stating the obvious is narrow minded and poorly thought out.  Women are not obligated to live in pain and poor health.  Poor movement --> obesity --> poor cardio health and increased incidence of asthma, diabetes (and all that entails) and increased risk of cancer.

I'm starting to doubt you've ever seen a niqabi in real life, because most of them definitely do not waddle because of obesity.

And how did covering your face suddenly increase your risk for obesity and all the other diseases you mentioned? If it were remotely true you'd see a surge in disease rates in countries like Saudi Arabia, but you don't. 

• Veteran Member

I'm starting to doubt you've ever seen a niqabi in real life, because most of them definitely do not waddle because of obesity.

And how did covering your face suddenly increase your risk for obesity and all the other diseases you mentioned? If it were remotely true you'd see a surge in disease rates in countries like Saudi Arabia, but you don't. 

I lived in Qatar - I have seen them waddling and know that the moms and aunties are in pain - I have spoken to women who wear face coverings and am aware of this issues in terms of inability to breathe properly... I know women from KSA and have heard their comments on the face covering. Have you?  Have you bothered to ask?  That is the problem - the opinion of those who are impacted is rarely objectively sought out.

If you don't move - you lose the ability to move, your organs are stressed and you take more shallow breaths which decrease your oxygen intake. It is pretty basic. If you dont move plus you are overweight, you have double the problem. Your health suffers in all the ways mentioned above. 

Diabetes is a huge issue in the KSA - HUGE.  It is listed 7th of the top 20 countries with high rates of diabetes. 

http://healthintelligence.drupalgardens.com/content/prevalence-diabetes-world-2013

You need to read more effectively - I said lack of movement creates mobility problems which then creates systemic health issues - one builds on another.  

I lived in Qatar - I have seen them waddling and know that the moms and aunties are in pain - I have spoken to women who wear face coverings and am aware of this issues in terms of inability to breathe properly... I know women from KSA and have heard their comments on the face covering. Have you?  Have you bothered to ask?  That is the problem - the opinion of those who are impacted is rarely objectively sought out.

If you don't move - you lose the ability to move, your organs are stressed and you take more shallow breaths which decrease your oxygen intake. It is pretty basic. If you dont move plus you are overweight, you have double the problem. Your health suffers in all the ways mentioned above. 

Diabetes is a huge issue in the KSA - HUGE.  It is listed 7th of the top 20 countries with high rates of diabete

Niqab does not prevent you from exercise. It is worn in the public sphere and those women can go to a female only gym and run in tights or run at home. 

Hardly fair to blame a piece of cloth for not exercising.

Edited by Khalilallah

• Veteran Member

Niqab does not prevent you from exercise. It is worn in the public sphere and those women can go to a female only gym and run in tights or run at home.

Hardly fair to blame a piece of cloth for not exercising.

What???!!! Read what I wrote.

There are TWO issues - 1. inability to breathe pure air due to a dirty (and it becomes dirty really fast) and

2. inability to move due to being swaddled in huge amounts of cloth

Edited by Haydar Husayn

• Advanced Member

Hmm, the way I see it is:

If a woman decides to dress less, that is a problem because it affects men in her surrounding.

If a women decides to dress more, that is not a problem because that is her choice and does not affect anyone but herself.

The women of Aal Muhammad(AS) wore it. Niqab is not obligatory according to most marjas but if a woman wants to cover her face then whats wrong with that? Its her own choice to wear what she wants. I don't calling think calling them 'fat, dumpy and unhealthy' is appropriate. If you live in the West.. you'd most definitely want Niqabis instead of barely dressed women.