Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

5 Pillars Of Islam Why Is It Different?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Hello dear brothers and sisters,

As a Shia in question, I have many questions and I hope you guys can help me for I am only seeking the truth.

I have been raised to believe that the 5 pillars of Islam as follows:

1. prayer

2. fasting

3 zakat

4. khoms

5 Haj

In 2012, as I was saying this to a friend during fast season I heard some one yell from the next room saying first is Kalima.

took me some times and then searched about it and came to realize that according to Sunni Muslims it is 

1. Kalima

2.Prayer

3. Zakat

4. Fasting 

5. Haj

I thought over it for a couple of years now, I have to come realize that common sense wise the Sunnis make more sense. It seems that we have added the Khoms and therefore we have removed the Kalima. Why did I come to this conclusion? I realized Khoms came later in time, there fore it was added so logically our 5 pillars came after the Sunnis 5 pillar which that would mean we made the change.

I would really appreciate if some one can comment on this and shed some light.

I am only seeking the truth, and hope there will be logic behind the answer

Thank you.

timur

Pillars are: 1.Tawheed 2.Adl 3.Nabuwa 4. Imamah 5. Miyat

May be you mean foroedeen: 1. Prayer 2. Fasting 3. Zakat 4. Khoms 5. Hajj 6. Jihad 7. Amri bil maroof 8. Nah al munkar 9. Tawalla 10. Tabarra.

Khoms is in the Qur'an, it was there but rather Sunnis removed it after the Prophet.

Edited by Khalilallah

• Advanced Member

In India

but I think it was made to teach Children

May be you mean foroedeen: 1. Prayer 2. Fasting 3. Haj 4. Zakath 5. khoms 6. Jihad 7. Amri bil maroof 8. Nah al munkar 9. Tawalla 10. Tabarra.

• Advanced Member

“Aboo Ja`far (عليه السلام) has said:  ‘The foundation of Islaam is upon five. (They are) Salaah (Prayer), Al-Zakaah(charity), Al-Sawm (fasting), Al-Hajj and al-Wilayah. And noting was proclaims like wilaayah was proclaimed. The people have taken four and they’ve abandoned this, meaning Al-Wilaayah.’”

May be you mean foroedeen: 1. Prayer 2. Fasting 3. Zakat 4. Khoms 5. Hajj 6. Jihad 7. Amri bil maroof 8. Nah al munkar 9. Tawalla 10. Tabarra.

Khoms is in the Qur'an, it was there but rather Sunnis removed it after the Prophet.

He is not talking about Usul al-Deen or Furu al-Deen , he is speaking about Arkan al-Islam (iman).

Edited by The Batman

• Advanced Member

Hello,

Thanks a lot every one for your comments and help. Here is what I got from Wikipedia regarding the 5 pillars of islam:

The Five Pillars of Islam (arkān al-Islām أركان الإسلام; also arkān al-dīn أركان الدين "pillars of the religion") are five basic acts in Islam, considered mandatory by believers and are the foundation of Muslim life. They are summarized in the famous hadith of Gabriel.[1][2][3][4]

They make up Muslim life, prayer, concern for the needy, self purification and the pilgrimage. They are:

1. Shahadah: declaring there is no god except God, and Muhammad is God's Messenger
  2. Salat: ritual prayer five times a day
  3. Zakat: giving 2.5% of one’s savings to the poor and needy
  4. Sawm: fasting and self-control during the holy month of Ramadan
  5. Hajj: pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime[5][6] if one is able[7]

The Shia and Sunni both agree on the essential details for the performance and practice of these acts,[8][9] but the Shia do not refer to them by the same name (see Ancillaries of the Faith, for the Twelvers, and Seven pillars of Ismailism).

Twelvers

Twelver Shia Islam has five Usul al-Din and ten Furu al-Din, i.e., the Shia Islamic beliefs and practices. The Twelver Shia Islam Usul al-Din, equivalent to a Shia Five Pillars, are all beliefs considered foundational to Islam, and thus classified a bit differently from those listed above.[30] They are:

1. Tawhid (Monotheism: belief in the Oneness of God)
  2. 'Adl (Divine Justice: belief in the Almighty's justice)
  3. Nubuwwah (Prophethood)
  4. Imamah (Succession to the Muhammad)
  5. Mi'ad (The Day of Judgment and the Resurrection)

In addition to these Five Pillars, there are ten practices that Shia Muslims must perform, called the Ancillaries of the Faith[31] (Arabic: furūʿ al-dīn).

1. Salat
  2. Sawm
  3. Zakāt, similar to Sunni Islam, but only applies to cattle, silver, gold, dates, raisins, wheat, and barley, but not money.
  4. Khums: an annual taxation of one-fifth (20%) of the gains that a year has been passed on without using. Khums is paid to the Imams; indirectly to poor and needy people.
  5. Hajj
  6. Jihad
  7. Amr-bil-Maroof
  8. Nahi Anil Munkar
  9. Tawalla: expressing love towards Good.
  10. Tabarra: expressing disassociation and hatred towards Evil.
Ismailis

Ismailis have their own pillars which are as follows:

• Walayah (lit. "Guardianship") denotes love and devotion to God, the prophets, the Imamah and the duʻāt ("missionaries").
  • Tawhid, "Oneness of God".
  • Salat: Unlike Sunni and Twelver Muslims, Nizari Ismailis reason that it is up to the current imām to designate the style and form of prayer.
  • Zakāt: with the exception of the Druze, all Ismaili madh'hab have practices resembling that of Sunni and Twelver Muslims with the addition of the characteristic Shia khums.
  • Sawm: Nizari and Mustaali believe in both a metaphorical and literal meaning of fasting.
  • Hajj: For Ismailis, this means visiting the imām or his representative and that this is the greatest and most spiritual of all pilgrimages. The Mustaali maintain also the practice of going to Mecca. The Druze interpret this completely metaphorically as "fleeing from devils and oppressors" and rarely go to Mecca.[32]
  • Jihad or "Struggle": "the Greater Struggle" and the "The Lesser Struggle".

Why the difference??

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Hello,

Is there really Khoms mentioned in Quran? Logically if Khoms is meant to be paid to poor Sayeds it would mean that we are differentiating between people. We are separating men under ethnic and tribal and showing favoritism. Does it not? At least in today's times?

• Veteran Member

Timur, we can't allow you to make a separate thread for all your questions. It would be better if you simply posted them all in the same thread, or at least waited for one issue to be resolved before starting a new topic. I would also request that you use the search function first, because I'm sure you could find answers to some of your questions by simply doing a search.

Hello,

Is there really Khoms mentioned in Quran? Logically if Khoms is meant to be paid to poor Sayeds it would mean that we are differentiating between people. We are separating men under ethnic and tribal and showing favoritism. Does it not? At least in today's times?

There are many threads discussing Khoms, take a look at them instead of starting the same topic again.

• Advanced Member

Timur, we can't allow you to make a separate thread for all your questions. It would be better if you simply posted them all in the same thread, or at least waited for one issue to be resolved before starting a new topic. I would also request that you use the search function first, because I'm sure you could find answers to some of your questions by simply doing a search.

Oh yes good idea bro, sorry I saw this after i made more posts from one on I will make one post and continue there.

There are many threads discussing Khoms, take a look at them instead of starting the same topic again.

Yes i saw that thank you. Sorry I have been asking my Shia friends for years and for years they have been dodging my questions. So finally I found this site and was hoping it is live chat but it was not so therefore all my questions are coming out now

No offense brother, I hope I am not giving you hard time. I used to be just like you guys pure Shia believer and it does hurt me a bit to talk like this with you guys now. Though it is not out of hate or anything against any one. I am just trying to figure out if this religion is sect it for real or I was just following blindly since I was born to it.

Oh yes good idea bro, sorry I saw this after i made more posts from one on I will make one post and continue there.

Yes i saw that thank you. Sorry I have been asking my Shia friends for years and for years they have been dodging my questions. So finally I found this site and was hoping it is live chat but it was not so therefore all my questions are coming out now

No offense brother, I hope I am not giving you hard time. I used to be just like you guys pure Shia believer and it does hurt me a bit to talk like this with you guys now. Though it is not out of hate or anything against any one. I am just trying to figure out if this religion is sect it for real or I was just following blindly since I was born to it.

It is good you are questioning before accepting.

If your intention is purely to learn then I suggest you read a book because these issues don't have room for arguing whether they are right or wrong, their authorities have been established by Allah and therefore it would be best if you read rather than hope to learn by arguing people less educated or equally educated as you.

Go to this site:

http://www.al-islam.org/

• Veteran Member

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

These "5 Usul al-Din" and "10 Furu` al-Deen" are just teaching/learning tools, they are not extracted from the texts in this form. According to the Ahadeeth, the pillars of Five:

1 - Wilayah

2 - Salah

3 - Zakat

4 - Sawm

5 - Hajj

Wilayah is the center of the deen, it is the message of the Qur'an. Allah [swt] has absolute wilayah over everything and He appoints those to the seat of wilayah whom He wills.

وعن علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه وعبدالله بن الصلت جميعا ، عن حماد بن عيسى ، عن حريز بن عبدالله ، عن زرارة ، عن أبي جعفر(عليه السلام) قال : بُني الإسلام على خمسة أشياء : على الصلاة ، والزكاة ، والحج ، والصوم ، والولاية . قال زرارة : فقلت : وأي شيء من ذلك أفضل ؟ فقال : الولاية أفضل لأنها مفتاحهن ، والوالي هو الدليل عليهن ، قلت : ثم الذي يلي ذلك في الفضل ؟ فقال : الصلاة ، قلت : ثم الذي يليها في الفضل ؟ قال : الزكاة لأنه قرنها بها ، وبدأ بالصلاة قبلها ، قلت : فالذي يليها في الفضل ؟ قال : الحج ، قلت : ماذا يتبعه ؟ قال : الصوم ، الحديث .
في أمان الله
Edited by Abu Tufayl

• Advanced Member

It is good you are questioning before accepting.

If your intention is purely to learn then I suggest you read a book because these issues don't have room for arguing whether they are right or wrong, their authorities have been established by Allah and therefore it would be best if you read rather than hope to learn by arguing people less educated or equally educated as you.

Go to this site:

http://www.al-islam.org/

Khalillullah,   This is intended to be discussion not  argument. The minute it turns into argument both of us well be wasting time. Neither one of us benifit from defending or opposing, rather we want to find the truth do you not? You seem sure and confident that you have found the right religion so why don't you answer my questions. Also so far Shia faith is not passing the Sanity check therefore pointless to go into more details.

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member
On 28 July 2015 at 6:39 PM, Abu Tufayl said:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

These "5 Usul al-Din" and "10 Furu` al-Deen" are just teaching/learning tools, they are not extracted from the texts in this form. According to the Ahadeeth, the pillars of Five:

1 - Wilayah

2 - Salah

3 - Zakat

4 - Sawm

5 - Hajj

Wilayah is the center of the deen, it is the message of the Qur'an. Allah [swt] has absolute wilayah over everything and He appoints those to the seat of wilayah whom He wills.

وعن علي بن إبراهيم ، عن أبيه وعبدالله بن الصلت جميعا ، عن حماد بن عيسى ، عن حريز بن عبدالله ، عن زرارة ، عن أبي جعفر(عليه السلام) قال : بُني الإسلام على خمسة أشياء : على الصلاة ، والزكاة ، والحج ، والصوم ، والولاية . قال زرارة : فقلت : وأي شيء من ذلك أفضل ؟ فقال : الولاية أفضل لأنها مفتاحهن ، والوالي هو الدليل عليهن ، قلت : ثم الذي يلي ذلك في الفضل ؟ فقال : الصلاة ، قلت : ثم الذي يليها في الفضل ؟ قال : الزكاة لأنه قرنها بها ، وبدأ بالصلاة قبلها ، قلت : فالذي يليها في الفضل ؟ قال : الحج ، قلت : ماذا يتبعه ؟ قال : الصوم ، الحديث .
في أمان الله

Why isn't the Kalima a part of it? Surely that holds more importance than Wilayah? 

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Kalima is just an outward testification of belief in the One-ness of Allah and the Prophethood of Muhammad s.a.w.

Especially in times when religion became a tool of power and a political mechanism such outward expressions were obligated to know if you was one of them or not while it is a strict personal thing.

Hypocrites can utter the kalima a thousand times a day but it is nothing when it's not in the heart. 

Edited by Skanderbeg

• Advanced Member

In shia teaching, the pillars of Islam is five and when you refer to different hadiths, you see some similarities. These similarities include prayer and willayah. Pillars mean that whole of your religion based on them and when you consider the role of Willayah and prayer, you will understand that why they were counted as the pillars of Islam.

The Willayah in Shia has the great meaning and actually is a meditation of creator and creations.