Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Halal Or Not: Bacon Flavored Seaweed

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

A seaweed that has a natural bacon flavor when cooked.  No actual animal products involved in giving it this flavor.

http://www.cnet.com/news/bacon-flavored-algae-is-a-thing-now/

Maybe it's like non-alcoholic beer.  In and of itself there's nothing wrong with it, but if you drink it to try and fit in with people drinking alcohol, that's when it becomes haram.

Thoughts?

• Development Team

Is bacon really that great tasting that people would go to such lengths to enjoy its flavor?

Not really to be honest, it doesn't compare to a nice, juicy steak or scrumptiously crispy fried chicken with a little extra crunch. Gave up pork when I converted to Islam and never looked back.

• Veteran Member

Not really to be honest, it doesn't compare to a nice, juicy steak or scrumptiously crispy fried chicken with a little extra crunch. Gave up pork when I converted to Islam and never looked back.

I always hear so much about bacon flavored this or that, like Jack in The Box started bacon flavored milk shakes, and now it's a new advertising slogan to say something is bacon wrapped, or now has bacon in it.  

Personally, I can't stand the smell.  Maybe it's because I've never gotten used to it, or I develoepd a subconscious aversion to it, but man it just makes me feel like I can't breathe.

Still though, I wouldn't mind trying a taste of something that was similar.  Although I suspect a lot of the bacon tastiness comes from its grease, and this obviously wouldn't have any of that.

Edited by coldcow
  • Advanced Member

I heard pork tastes like human flesh according to a former cannibal in germany.

• Veteran Member

Is bacon really that great tasting that people would go to such lengths to enjoy its flavor?

I became a vegetarian/peskatarian in my teens and bacon and chicken were the hardest things to give up! alhamdullillah i managed it though and the only thing im tempted by now is the smell of roast chicken.

• Moderators

I've heard that too, from a pair of anthropologists who researched Amazonian tribes.

When cooking, pork smells like stale human sweat. Once I got behind a truckload of pigs, and it was as if all stinky locker rooms in the world were concentrated into one trailer. I had to pull over.

My family occasionally enjoys beef or turkey "bacon" which is halal. If there are no animal products in the flavoring, it would be halal.

• Development Team

And the texture is very similar to human flesh, according to cannibals who were interviewed , in fact it is said that human flesh has a sweet, mild taste similar to pork according to them as well. Turkey bacon and beef bacon are very similar in aroma and flavor to pork bacon.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar
  • Moderators

Turkey bacon and beef bacon are very similar in aroma and flavor to pork bacon.

Beef "bacon" is similar to pork bacon, but when cooked releases more broth, less grease. Turkey "bacon" is different. It's got the salty, smoky taste, but a different taste and texture.

I think the main thing people like about bacon is that it is salty and crispy.

• Development Team

Beef "bacon" is similar to pork bacon, but when cooked releases more broth, less grease. Turkey "bacon" is different. It's got the salty, smoky taste, but a different taste and texture.

I think the main thing people like about bacon is that it is salty and crispy.

I agree, that's the reason why I liked bacon, salty and crispy but I hated the grease in bacon. That was just really disgusting, glad I don't eat pork anymore.

• Veteran Member

Semi-related question.  What about food that was "beer battered"?

The alcohol cooks out, but I don't know if it is najis.

General consensus I've always heard is that alcohol is najis.  It may vaporize during the cooking process, meaning no intoxicating effects remain, but it if alcohol is najis then it would still make the food haram.  To use a crude example, imagine cooking with urine.  The urine may evaporate, but it's still najis.  And who really wants to eat something that had something najis in it.

• Veteran Member

Just thought i'd give a little recap of this delightful thread:

'I heard pork tastes like human flesh according to a former cannibal in germany.'
'pork smells like stale human sweat..all stinky locker rooms in the world were concentrated into one trailer...'
'the texture is very similar to human flesh...human flesh has a sweet, mild taste similar to pork...'
'imagine cooking with urine...'

I wonder how gross this thread could ultimately get...lets keep going! good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

• Advanced Member

Exactly, I have never understood this!!! But then again, I've never tasted bacon, real or turkey/beef/whatever.

I have a vegan friend who is in the habit of adding soy "bacon" to everything. This friend has been vegan all of her life (as are her parents and siblings). I once asked "You've never tasted bacon so why is faux "bacon" such a thing?" I mean, if one has never tasted bacon, how would one know what it tastes like or whether it tastes good or not?

I've heard that too, from a pair of anthropologists who researched Amazonian tribes.

And the texture is very similar to human flesh, according to cannibals who were interviewed , in fact it is said that human flesh has a sweet, mild taste similar to pork according to them as well. Turkey bacon and beef bacon are very similar in aroma and flavor to pork bacon.

I've read that in earlier times many medical procedures were first tested on pig tissue on account of their similarity to human tissue. Before the vast improvements in diabetic care that came about in the 1980's and 1990's, insulin derived from pigs was commonly used in treating (human) diabetic patients for the same reason.

Regarding the Amazonian cannibals, I recall reading about an anthropologist doing research on several Amazonian tribes in the 1970's who reported that among tribes that practice cannibalism, the word in their language(s) for human flesh is "long pig."

Edited by alina92
  • Moderators

'I heard pork tastes like human flesh according to a former cannibal in germany.'

'pork smells like stale human sweat..all stinky locker rooms in the world were concentrated into one trailer...'

'the texture is very similar to human flesh...human flesh has a sweet, mild taste similar to pork...'

I wonder how gross this thread could ultimately get...lets keep going! good-job-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862

I was grumpy. I read this, and it made me smile. Thanks.

OK, I'm going back to grumpy now.

• Advanced Member

My husband came by as I was reading this delightful thread and read some of it. He looks at me, like what are you reading?  :huh:

• Development Team

Exactly, I have never understood this!!! But then again, I've never tasted bacon, real or turkey/beef/whatever.

I have a vegan friend who is in the habit of adding soy "bacon" to everything. This friend has been vegan all of her life (as are her parents and siblings). I once asked "You've never tasted bacon so why is faux "bacon" such a thing?" I mean, if one has never tasted bacon, how would one know what it tastes like or whether it tastes good or not?

I've read that in earlier times many medical procedures were first tested on pig tissue on account of their similarity to human tissue. Before the vast improvements in diabetic care that came about in the 1980's and 1990's, insulin derived from pigs was commonly used in treating diabetic patients for the same reason.

Regarding the Amazonian cannibals, I recall reading about an anthropologist doing research on several Amazonian tribes in the 1970's who reported that among tribes that practice cannibalism, the word in their language(s) for human flesh is "long pig."

Pork has a unique flavor for a white meat,like I said, sweet and mild, and it takes on a kind of filling heartiness when greasy. Always bothered me with its grease, especially the Polish Kielbasa and I used to get stomachaches from eating pork. The grease from pork can cause acne if it gets on your skin, especially bacon. People tend to use the meat for anything fried, hot and spicy. I bet those who think pork is a good, clean white meat would think twice about putting the flesh of swine in their bodies if they saw a sty and what these animals will eat. The pig is a living, breathing, trash compactor and they say you are what you eat. Edited by Gaius I. Caesar