Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rings And Stones In Islam

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

In the name of Allah, the light.

Salam aleikum,

I was wondering what the saying of rings and stones are in Islam.

For example some say you should have to two rings on your left hand(?) and that different stones has different effects. They say it is a from a narration from Imam Ali(a.s.).

I have a hard time believing stones would affect you and if they did why not wear all the stones and why must you have them on a ring and not for example on a necklace?

I have heard something similar about the effects of gold worn against the skin for males, maybe this is something like that?

• Veteran Member

Gold is forbidden for mean to wear in Islam - http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01196/

What are the rewards and benefits of wearing rings with valuable stones on them?

The thawab and benefits of wearing aghigh:

It has been reported that Imam Ridha (as) said that Imam Sadiq (as) stated: “Whosoever wears a ring whose stone is of aghigh will not become poor, and will be granted his needs in the best form.”

In another hadith from Imam Sadiq (as) it has been narrated that he said that: “(Wearing) the aghigh while travelling brings protection.”

Imam Sadiq (as) narrates from his father and grandfathers, from Imam Ali (as) that his Excellency said: “Wear the aghigh so that Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì blesses you, and so that you are protected from calamities.”

Imam Baqir (as): “Whosoever wears the aghigh will continuously be benefited by it as long as it is worn, and a guard sent by Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will protect that individual.”

It has been reported that Imam Sadiq (as) said that his father’s grandfather (as) said: “Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will protect whosoever engraves this phrase: (محمّد نبىّ اللَّه و علىّ ولىّ اللَّه) on the aghigh ring from a bad death and will verily die a death of fitrah (which is a good death).

Imam Sadiq (as) has been narrated saying: “No hand that reaches out to Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì is dearer than the one that has an aghigh ring on it.”

Imam Ridha (as) narrates from his father Imam Kadhim (as) from his father and grandfathers till Imam Husein (as) that his Excellency said: “When Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì created (Prophet) Musa ibn Imran and spoke with him in Mount Sinai, He (Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì) took a look at the ground (earth) and created the aghigh from His light and said: “(I swear) by myself that I have made it mandatory upon me not to chastise with the Fire whosever wears the aghigh, given that person loves Imam Ali (as).

The thawab and benefits of wearing the firoozah

Abdul-Mu’min Ansari says that he heard Imam Sadiq (as) saying: “The hand that bears the firoozah will never become needy.”

The thawab and benefits of the jaz’/jiz’ yamani

Muhammad ibnul-Husein narrates from his noble father that Imam Ali (as) said: “Wear the jaz’ yamani ring, for it keeps the evil of the disobedient devils away from you.”

The thawab and benefits of wearing the zumurrud

Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Nasr who would run some of Imam Musa ibn Ja’far’s (as) arons has reported that one day when the imam was reading a book, he told him: “Wearing the zumurrud brings comfort and isn’t followed by any hardship.”

The thawab and benefits of the yaqut

Husein ibn Khalid narrates that Imam Ridha (as) said that Imam Sadiq (as) has stated that: “Wear the yaqut, for it causes poverty to go away.”

The thawab and benefits of the bulur

Ali ibn Muhammad has narrated from Imam Sadiq (as) that he said: “Bulur is a good stone (for using on the ring).”[1] [2]

Two points must be noted here:

1- Jewelry made of gold is haram for men, including gold rings.[3]

2- The benefits that were mentioned for these stones, aren’t for sure, meaning that these stones aren’t the whole cause for them, they are rather part of their cause and in other words, there might be other things that must be observed for these benefits to surely take place (for example, when it is said that wearing a certain stone keeps away poverty, it doesn’t mean that one can just wear it and sit and do nothing and wait for poverty to go), but of course the thawab of these stones according to these hadiths is for sure and one who wears them will be rewarded by Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Is it necessary to wear the ring on the right hand?

One of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) and imams’ traditions, is to wear a ring. The material, appearance and design of the ring have all been pointed to in our hadiths. It has also been advised to wear the ring on the right hand. All of the rulings of Islam regarding wearing a ring are mustahab (religiously preferred, not obligatory), although wearing a gold ring is forbidden for men (and any other jewelry made of gold). Therefore, there’s nothing wrong with wearing a ring on the left hand if your culture calls for it, and you are free to do so.

Wearing a ring is an admired tradition in Islam which the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.) and our imams (a.s.) have paid attention to. There are numerous hadiths that express what stone should be used in a ring, what material the ring itself should be made of, what the design on its stone should be, and how the ring should be worn.  For instance, in our hadiths, aghigh (a type of stone, mostly found in Yemen, normally dark red or brown) has been suggested and it has been said to bring abundance and protection from disaster and catastrophe.[1] Regarding its material, silver has been proposed. Concerning the design on the stone, dhikrs (religious doxologies) with very high meanings have been suggested. Dhikrs like «الله الملک» (Allah is the absolute master)[2] and «محمد نبی الله و علی ولی الله» (Muhammad is Allah’s messenger and Ali is his waliyy (apostle)[3].

Also, it is highly preferable to wear the ring on the right hand and has been counted as one of the signs of being Shia. In hadiths narrated by the seventh imam,

Imam Kadhem (a.s.), it has been said that: “Imam Ali (a.s.) would wear a ring on his right hand, because after the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.), he is the leader of the Ashab-ul-Yamin (In Arabic, yamin means right [opposite of left] and ashab-ul-yamin refers to those who will receive their “report cards” on the Day of Judgement in their right hands, meaning that they are going to heaven and will prosper. In contrast to them, those who receive it in their left hands, are those who aren’t qualified to go to heaven. Here, when it is said that the Prophet and imams are the leaders of the “People of the Right Hand”, it means that they are the leaders of those who are going to go to heaven and they wear their rings on the right hand in order to show that they are the leaders of the People of the Right Hand )…and this is the sign of our followers …”[4], meaning that wearing the ring on the right hand is a result of following the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.) and the Commander of the Faithful, Imam Ali (a.s.). In other words, the holy Prophet (p.b.u.h.) and Imam Ali (a.s.) are the leaders of the Ashab-ul-Yamin and when they wear their ring on their right hand they are illustrating this point, therefore its better for Shias to do the same in order to have followed their imams and to be united.

Of course, it should be noted that all of these recommendations and virtues that have been mentioned concerning wearing a ring, especially on the right hand, are all expressing the istihbab (being preferred in Islam and not being obligatory) of it without any obligation. In other hadiths, instances other than the mustahabb (Islamicly preferred) ones mentioned above, have been considered permissible, such as the hadith narrated by Imam Sadiq (a.s.) that says that the holy Prophet’s (p.b.u.h.) ring was made of silver and contained no stone[5], or like the hadith in which Imam Kadhem (a.s.) says in response to a question about which hand the ring should be worn on: “You may wear it both on your right hand if you wish, and on your left hand.”[6]   Therefore, if because of the culture of one’s country, one wears a wedding ring on the left, it is permissible, although it is better to wear a ring containing an aghigh on the right hand in order to show one’s being Shia and to benefit from the blessings, spiritual rewards, and other advantages of such an admirable act.

Of course, one mustn’t forget that wearing jewelry made of gold, such as a gold ring, is forbidden for men.[7]

Edited by Ethics
  • Veteran Member

For God's sake. You don't want to wear rings, turbans, shawls or things or practices difficult or looked down upon in your modern societies then just don't. In fact I want to convey this message to all complaining about things like Tatbir or respect for Seyyeds. Look to thine own imperfections.

• Advanced Member

@ Ethics

Thank you brother Ethics for the nice explanation. 

I have another question: Why not make one ring with all the stones in it? Do you know what I mean? Because I have seen people with two rings on their right hand, but it only contains one stone each.

@ AnotherShepherd

Good question, I was wondering that too actually.

@ Darth Vader

I did not say I do not want to wear rings or that I have problems with people who wears them, I just want to know the reason so that I can make a decision based on knowledge.

• Veteran Member

@ Ethics

Thank you brother Ethics for the nice explanation. 

I have another question: Why not make one ring with all the stones in it? Do you know what I mean? Because I have seen people with two rings on their right hand, but it only contains one stone each.

XD I am wearing one now like that ^_^ It contains small 5 stones in one. Nothing wrong with either. Dont make this more difficult as it seems. Just follow the sunnah of Rasullah within its boundaries and inshAllah you will receive baraka.

• Advanced Member

Oh nice mA!

But what would be the reason to limit the stones to two only in the case of two rings if there are rings like yours? And you only wear one ring then? Silver ring with all 5 stones in it.

I am not trying to make it hard, I just want to know everything.

• Veteran Member

Oh nice mA!

But what would be the reason to limit the stones to two only in the case of two rings if there are rings like yours? And you only wear one ring then? Silver ring with all 5 stones in it.

I am not trying to make it hard, I just want to know everything.

Thats not a limitation its a recommendation or a preference. Etiquette implies not having many rings on both hands because it maybe mistook as something more than gaining sawab. Usually people tend to have two rings on a hand. You dont need to wear all 5 nor do you have to wear more than one. Each ring comes with its own baraqa, aqeeq being the highly recommended and durr. I personally got this as a gift, and the stones are really small, and the ring is nice, thus I chose to wear it. It is not having 5 rings, and I get baraka of all types. Thats all there is too it. Oh and thank you by the way ^_^ its really nice, I love it!

Edited by Ethics
  • Veteran Member

Except index finger and the middle finger of right hand , you can wear rings in other fingers.

Best is the last two fingers of right hand. in Which the second last is for Aqeeq and the last is for Firoza.

Your rewards will increase when Aqeeq is in your hand. But wearing Aqeeq without knowing the concept, and just for fashion will not work due to intention.

Aqeeq is also good in saving from calamities , it is highly recommended stone.

Five stones are recommended in Islamic history

1. Aqeeq

2. Firoza

3. Hadeed Al Sini

4. Yaqoot

5. Durre Najaf

• Advanced Member

Five stones are recommended in Islamic history

1. Aqeeq

2. Firoza

3. Hadeed Al Sini

4. Yaqoot

5. Durre Najaf

Would you mind elaborating on the significance of wearing a Yaqoot/ruby? I always see all these posts about the benefits of wearing the Feroza, Aqeeq, etc. but can't seem to find very much information on a yaqoot or ruby. 

• Veteran Member

Would you mind elaborating on the significance of wearing a Yaqoot/ruby? I always see all these posts about the benefits of wearing the Feroza, Aqeeq, etc. but can't seem to find very much information on a yaqoot or ruby. 

From what I heard Yaqoot is the master of all the gems.

• Veteran Member

Is there any information about wearing aqeeq on the middle finger of the left hand?

From what I've heard that you're not supposed to wear a ring on the left hand. 

Also, you're not supposed to wear one on the middle finger of either hand.

Just what I've heard. 

• Development Team

From what I've heard that you're not supposed to wear a ring on the left hand. 

Also, you're not supposed to wear one on the middle finger of either hand.

Just what I've heard.

Bummer, I never had a ring that fit my ring or pinky finger or felt comfortable on my right hand specifically. Thanks for letting me know, Akbar.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Salam,

Just wanted to say that after reading the replies and did some self study i decided to buy rings.

Now i bought these two:

http://i.imgur.com/iRVPOcc.jpg

The left one is a silver ring with a Ya Ali on both sides and a hadidesin (hematite) with scripture.

The right one is a silver ring with a black agid also called onyx in it.

Thank you everyone who replied to my post, may Allah(SWT) bless you all and in his greatness multiply your rewards.