In the Name of God بسم الله

Friend

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Now a days, everyone we talk to daily or spend most of our time with, we call them our friends without knowing who a friend actually is. Also, I've seen many people say that there aren't any real friends left in this world. Let's say there aren't; then, couldn't we try to be the real one? What do the ahadith tell us about friends? According to them, are we really a good friend to others?

Prophet (pbuh) said,

Man follows the same creed as his friend, so consider carefully who it is you befriend.

[Amali al Tusa, p. 518, #1135]

Imam Ali (as) said,

He who lacks a friend, lacks a necessity.

[ibid, #8760]

Imam Ali (as) said,

Souls resemble other souls. Those that resemble each other are in harmony, that is why people are attracted towards those they resemble.

[bihar al Anwar, p. 92, #100]

Imam Al Sadiq (as) said,

Do not call a man your friend with the true stamp of friendship until you have tested him in 3 matters: Anger him so that you may see if his anger takes him away from right to wrong; test him with dinar & dirham; & travel with him.

[Amali Al Tusi, p.646, #1339]

Imam Ali (as) said,

Beware of befriending corrupt people, immoral people & those who openly commit acts of disobedience to Allah.

[ibid, #2601]

Imam Ali (as) said,

The friend of an ignorant man is always wearied & miserable.

[ibid, #5829]

Imam Ali (as) said to Imam Hassan (as),

O my son! Beware of befriending a stupid friend for although he will try to benefit you, he will only bring you trouble.

[ibid, #35]

Imam Ali (as) said,

He who penetrates deeply into his friend's affairs, his love for him comes to an end.

[Ghurar al Hikam, #8582]

Imam Ali (as) said,

Shower all your love on your friend but do not shower all your trust on him.

[bihar al Anwar, p.165, #29]

Imam Zayn al Abidin (as) said,

The right of your companion is that you share his company with bounty & fairness. You should honor him like he honors you & should not let him be the first to extend generosity. & if he is the first to do so, then repay him. Wish for him as he wishes for you & restrain him from every act of disobedience that he might contemplate. Be a mercy for him & not a chastisement.

[bihar al Anwar, p.7, #1]

Imam Al Sadiq (as) said,

Friendship can only succeed when its conditions are fulfilled & he who fulfills all or some of these conditions may be befriended, & if not, then do not attribute any of your friendship to him. The first of these conditions is that he should treat you in public as he treats you in private. Secondly, that you source of pride is the source of pride for him too. Thirdly, that neither his friendship (with others) nor wealth should render him envious of you. Fourthly, that he must not prevent you from obtaining that which you have the capacity for, & fifthly - & this sums up all other qualities - that he must not give up on you in times of misfortune.

[ibid,p.249, #90]

In case I typed something wrong or gave wrong reference, please correct me.

Here is another one that I like a lot

Imam Ali(AS) says:

“A friend cannot be considered a friend unless he is tested on three occasions: in time of need, behind your back and after your death.”

Source: Nahjul Balagha

• Advanced Member

Here is another one that I like a lot

Imam Ali(AS) says:

“A friend cannot be considered a friend unless he is tested on three occasions: in time of need, behind your back and after your death.”

Source: Nahjul Balagha

How can one test his friend after death?