Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Friend of All

Question Abt Hadith On Olive Oil

Rate this topic

Salam,

I read this hadith by Imam Reza a.s ..

"Satan does not visit for forty days a person who applies olive oil to his head or uses it in food."

Any clue why olive oil.. And why it keeps satan away..

Thanks in advance

Walaykumsalam,

This is really a wider message to all shias, but when narrating hadiths, we need to know the source. I notice a lot of shias especially on social media narrate anything from our books and do not reference it.

The issue is, our books contain a hadiths, some saheeh , some hasan, some reliable, some weak, some with unknown narrators and isolated reports. Our hadith books are not the Quran or a beautiful forest where anyone can pluck and fruit. There are some thorns, fabricated lies by ghulaat(some ghali's our imams a.s are reported to send lana'h on those who elavate their status beyond what it is) , some quite alarming hadiths.

The number of shia's who genuinly thing bihar al an war is a generally authentic source they can pluck any hadith from is alarming - it is infact one of our most unauthentic hadith books by pure number of unauthentic hadiths.

Therefore with this hadith -  i think you're refering to Imam Ridha a.s ? (Reza?), we do not know of the authenticity, the chain of narrators, the gradings as per a number of scholars, so essentially it could be authentic or it could be a lie attributed to an imam from an accursed lier.

I am certianly no expert in rijal, but i think people would generally agree we need the source and chain of narrators for this hadith, and even then there's a lot of complexities.

Edited by Tawheed313

Walaykumsalam,

This is really a wider message to all shias, but when narrating hadiths, we need to know the source. I notice a lot of shias especially on social media narrate anything from our books and do not reference it.

The issue is, our books contain a hadiths, some saheeh , some hasan, some reliable, some weak, some with unknown narrators and isolated reports. Our hadith books are not the Quran or a beautiful forest where anyone can pluck and fruit. There are some thorns, fabricated lies by ghulaat(some ghali's our imams a.s are reported to send lana'h on those who elavate their status beyond what it is) , some quite alarming hadiths.

The number of shia's who genuinly thing bihar al an war is a generally authentic source they can pluck any hadith from is alarming - it is infact one of our most unauthentic hadith books by pure number of unauthentic hadiths.

Therefore with this hadith -  i think you're refering to Imam Ridha a.s ? (Reza?), we do not know of the authenticity, the chain of narrators, the gradings as per a number of scholars, so essentially it could be authentic or it could be a lie attributed to an imam from an accursed lier.

I am certianly no expert in rijal, but i think people would generally agree we need the source and chain of narrators for this hadith, and even then there's a lot of complexities.

According to Usoolis, most of the time, a narration about mustahab and makruh does not require a strong chain. 

Edited by The Batman

Audhubi 'Llaahi min ash-Shaytani 'r-Rajeem,

Bismi 'Llaahi 'r-Rehman ar-Raheem,

As-salaam wa alaykum wa Rehmat ul-'Llaahi wa Barakatuh,

But just think, if you reject a hadith, and it happens to be correct, then you've rejected what the Imaams have said, which is tantamount to kufr.

Allah Ho Alim, wa salaam.

Salam,

I read this hadith by Imam Reza a.s ..

"Satan does not visit for forty days a person who applies olive oil to his head or uses it in food."

Any clue why olive oil.. And why it keeps satan away..

Thanks in advance

Salamun alaykum.

This is the Arabic text:

عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَمَّنْ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ مُوسَى بْنِ جَعْفَرٍ عَنْ آبَائِهِ عَنِ النَّبِيِّ ص فِي وَصِيَّتِهِ لِعَلِيٍّ ع قَالَ يَا عَلِيُّ كُلِ الزَّيْتَ وَ ادَّهِنْ بِهِ فَإِنَّهُ مَنْ أَكَلَ الزَّيْتَ وَ ادَّهَنَ بِهِ لَمْ يَقْرَبْهُ الشَّيْطَانُ أَرْبَعِينَ يَوْماً

wasa'il al-Shi'a, vol. 25 p. 95

However, this is a mursal narration since it does not include the whole chain of the narrators. Thus, it is a weak narration.