In the Name of God بسم الله

Iranian Women And Hiijab

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

In 2014, Iran’s morality police warned, fined or arrested an astonishing 3.6 million women for charges related to inappropriate dress. Right now wearing the Islamic hijab is a mandatory practice for all women in Iran.

Masih Alinejad, an Iranian Journalist living in the US, would like to change all of that and grant women the choice to wear their hair covered or uncovered. Alinejad says, “My mother wants to wear a scarf. I don’t want to wear a scarf. Iran should be for both of us.”

In hopes of spreading her message and making social change Alinejad is prompting Iranian women both near and far to post photos of themselves enjoying life with their hair unveiled. Alinjad started a Facebook group called My Stealthy Freedom, which has already massed over 820,000 followers that stand in support of protesting Iran’s strict Hijab laws.

http://www.earthporm.com/strict-hijab-laws/

I urge shia chat sisters to take mission in hands and provide fitting reply in professional way to these ladies. Do what ever you can to stop these woman from spreading filth in society. Create a blog or some thing or may be a website and counter them with logic and reasoning. it will be best if ladies will give reply to them.

Their facebook address

https://www.facebook.com/StealthyFreedom

Edited by Highflyer

• Veteran Member

When Hazrat Aqeel asked Imam Ali (as) to give some money from Bait ul Maal , Imam Ali (as) gave two fired coal in Hazrat Aqeel hand.

West Psychos will say .. This is not the right way to tell something.

Brain cells too need a proper nutrient of education to work and understand things , otherwise everyone have a plump one.

• Advanced Member

False Information!

Once I saw the number of women claimed (by that website) to be arrested in Iran pertained to this issue I got astonished and assumed it was a big lie(told to promote their nasty idea in the media) but then I searched to see if the given estimate potentially has an authentic source, but I could find nothing. In stead it was said that few people who were arrested were released after having some sessions with consultants.

I am not an Iranian women, so it is not right for me to give an opinion on what they choose to wear in Iran. But all I can say is that they should frankly make their own decisions and they should not be unwillingly forced by a higher authority to do and wear what they want. It is their choice and no one else's to make. I hope that's clear.

As a believer in justice and free speech, I believe this campaign on Facebook is one of the great initiatives set up by Iranian women to get their proposed rights and freedoms heard on a larger world scale, instead of protesting on the streets where they will unfortunately get attacked and imprisoned by the authorities. Social media is the haven for Iranians to peacefully voice their ideas and opinions, where they are not able to do this openly in Iran.

You are guys on this forum are very much free to voice your opinions against this campaign and I am not against if you do that. But I personally don't feel it is right for you guys to do that, because you will be making fools out of yourselves. I suggest you leave Iranian women to their own devices and let them worry about their future. Why should this campaign in anyway effect people like you? Don't you guys have better things to do in life?

• Veteran Member

I urge shia chat sisters to take mission in hands and provide fitting reply in professional way to these ladies. Do what ever you can to stop these woman from spreading filth in society. Create a blog or some thing or may be a website and counter them with logic and reasoning. it will be best if ladies will give reply to them.

https://www.facebook.com/StealthyFreedom

Although the number clearly is a lie, it is a good idea to counter this kind of agendas. 

One of the Satan's strategies revealed in the Quran is displaying disgusting actions by adorning them. So here we should expose ugliness of bihejabi( hijablessness!) and show the beautify of hijab.

A thing about Iranian women and hijab; my relatives can be considered as one of most irreligious people of the country, but almost all of the women observe their hijab, or to be more precise, use scarf in front of namahrams(non-mahrams) even in homes where there is no police or force. 

hijab is not imposed by governments, its a GOD prescribed rule, and those who consider them self Muslim and follow prophet Muhaammed(s) and Al Quran they must follow Hijab.

For some, it is very hard to be understood. 

By their logic, we should let the addicted people and also narcotic drug providers to do what the want to do, because:

I am not an Iranian women, so it is not right for me to give an opinion on what they choose to wear in Iran. But all I can say is that they should frankly make their own decisions and they should not be unwillingly forced by a higher authority to do and wear what they want. It is their choice and no one else's to make. I hope that's clear.

As a believer in justice and free speech, I believe this campaign on Facebook is one of the great initiatives set up by Iranian women to get their proposed rights and freedoms heard on a larger world scale, instead of protesting on the streets where they will unfortunately get attacked and imprisoned by the authorities. Social media is the haven for Iranians to peacefully voice their ideas and opinions, where they are not able to do this openly in Iran.

You are guys on this forum are very much free to voice your opinions against this campaign and I am not against if you do that. But I personally don't feel it is right for you guys to do that, because you will be making fools out of yourselves. I suggest you leave Iranian women addicts to their own devices and let them worry about their future. Why should this campaign in anyway effect people like you? Don't you guys have better things to do in life?

So we can't force them. It is the choice of both addicted and drug provider. 

• Advanced Member

No one said it makes you a bad person. Many laws are there for other reasons than preventing you personally from bad/good. 

i was merely trying to refute the notion that non-hijabis spread filth in society - so what if they dont wear hijab? its not like they're going about committing a crime. i was also trying to refute the common belief that non-hijabis arent modest women or are 'bad' people.

yes some laws may have a bigger perspective than person bad/good, but i fail to see it in the case of hijab. 

For people to understand Iranian women's fashion in the last 100 years, well here is a good minute video to watch (since this is what the thread is about!). This video had racked up a fair 8 million views and for the unsure observant people to keep in line with the forum strict rules I can ensure you that there is no profanity in the video, which could possibly offend. This video just give us a sense of perspective and change.

You can see in the video the predominant fashion in Iran among women was initially the hijab until the 1930s where there came some tough modernisation reforms from Reza Shah who initially banned the hijab and chador and women's fashion is predominantly without hijab for a few decades until 1979 where enforced Hijab came about.

Edited by Zendegi

• Advanced Member

I have to agree forcing hijab, is not the right way, its deffinitely a personal choice, forcing decent clothing is on the other hand correct (no tight jeans, shorts , bikinis , etc, or any other filthy western muck) 

For some, it is very hard to be understood. 

By their logic, we should let the addicted people and also narcotic drug providers to do what the want to do, because:

So we can't force them. It is the choice of both addicted and drug provider. 

No offence Kamyar but this is such a bizarre and bad analogy. You are comparing something that can easily be detrimental to ones health and survival to the choice of Iranian women having the freedom to wear hijab or not.

Plus how should this overall issue effect you anyway, well I see that drug dealers are posing more of a threat to society everywhere than the average Iranian woman who doesn't want to wear the hijab in their country. You are comparing these two unrelated issues with such a bad analogy that I can't go into detail any further. I don't even know why you had to bring it up in the first place.

Edited by Zendegi

• Advanced Member

I have to agree forcing hijab, is not the right way, its deffinitely a personal choice, forcing decent clothing is on the other hand correct (no tight jeans, shorts , bikinis , etc, or any other filthy western muck) 

LOL

What is the difference? I swear I can't understand people.........decent clothing plus a peace of extra clothing on the hair..... how much of a burden is it? can someone please explain this? 

Why is it such a BIG deal to throw something on the hair? How is it much different than the decent clothing you suggest?

I will never understand it.

Some interesting research I found on this issue.

http://arabsinamerica.unc.edu/identity/veiling/hijab/

Why do some Muslim women not wear the hijab?

Like the women who choose to wear the hijab, those who choose not to wear the hijab do so for a variety of reasons. Some Muslim women believe that although the principles of modesty are clearly outlined in the Qu’ran, they perceive the wearing of the headscarf as a cultural interpretation of these scriptures. These women sometimes believe that the values espoused by the wearing of the headscarf can be achieved in other ways. Some women believe that while the hijab allowed women in the past to engage in public society without garnering attention, the headscarf in contemporary Western society brings more attention to women and is thus contradictory to its original purpose. Others believe that the hijab and other external practices have become inappropriately central to the practice of Islam, and instead choose to focus on their internal and spiritual relationship with God.

While some women might choose not to wear the hijab, most Muslim women agree that it is a woman’s choice whether or not she wears the hijab. Many Muslim and Arab women who have chosen not to wear the hijab are often staunch advocates of a woman’s right to choose to veil.

Edited by Zendegi

• Advanced Member

LOL

What is the difference? I swear I can't understand people.........decent clothing plus a peace of extra clothing on the hair..... how much of a burden is it? can someone please explain this? 

Why is it such a BIG deal to throw something on the hair? How is it much different than the decent clothing you suggest?

I will never understand it.

only a boy can understand it. and girls must wear hijab coz of boys (non mahraams)

• Advanced Member

if you think a piece of clothe on the head is the "same" as walking around in a bikini, then theres really nothing to discuss...

You don't know how to read do you?

let me repeat it and hopefully you read carefully this time.

You said, that hijab shouldn't be forced BUT forcing decent clothing is on the other hand correct..............

THEN I ASKED YOU.......

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE between forcing decent clothing and forcing hijab???? when hijab is part of decent clothing.

My argument is: It is ridiculous to believe that hijab shouldn't be enforced but decent clothing should because both are the same thing!!

• Moderators

^^That's what basically hijab is , decent clothing.

@ zendegi, going along the same principle its personal choice if a woman wants to wear tank top and shorts in public??

@ unknown shia , if you think hijab is a piece of cloth on the head then really you don't know anything about hijab. Your statement is self contradictory. One one hand you say its okay to force decent clothing,but you are against forcing scarf. Scarf is part of decent clothing.

Edited by starlight

• Moderators

As a believer in justice and free speech, I believe this campaign on Facebook is one of the great initiatives set up by Iranian women to get their proposed rights and freedoms heard on a larger world scale,

exactly what proposed rights and freedom... I am not from iran so will you please enlighten me?

instead of protesting on the streets where they will unfortunately get attacked and imprisoned by the authorities. Social media is the haven for Iranians to peacefully voice their ideas and opinions, where they are not able to do this openly in Iran.

You are guys on this forum are very much free to voice your opinions against this campaign and I am not against if you do that. But I personally don't feel it is right for you guys to do that, because you will be making fools out of yourselves. I suggest you leave Iranian women to their own devices and let them worry about their future.

yeah... right... and we should leave saudia to its own devices and let it continue bombing yemen and similarly we should let the monks in burma continue the with genocide and not protest when France passes rule against hijab.... Condemning is the least one can do , and I think its her who is making a fool out of herself.... If she believes in akhira and the day of judgement none of those 82,000 FB  followers is going to come and save her for misleading women.

Why should this campaign in anyway effect people like you? Don't you guys have better things to do in life?

@ zendegi, going along the same principle its personal choice if a woman wants to wear tank top and shorts in public??

This is just about the Hijab and the Facebook campaign as indicated by OP, which wants to give Iranian women the choice of wearing or not wearing the Hijab. I am not taking about anything else, so don't bring it up.

my 2cents

the only 2 places in the world that I dont feel comfortable walking with my wife or my sister by my side are Kabul and Tehran- both cities are fully observant when it comes to hijab. The way the men look at females are very insulting and dirty.

Obviously it is enforced in all of Iran, but a lot of women and girls in Tehrani streets have their roosari too low these days or are barely even wearing a proper hijab. Mate the authorities there have made the whole society soo male centred, this what you had has expect from the men in the last 30 or so years and Afghanistan is similar in this respect as well.

My argument is: It is ridiculous to believe that hijab shouldn't be enforced but decent clothing should because both are the same thing!!

It all really depends on where you live and what decent clothing is considered in that particular country or place. Something considered not decent in one place can be considered decent in another.

Edited by Zendegi

As a believer in justice and free speech, I believe this campaign on Facebook is one of the great initiatives set up by Iranian women to get their proposed rights and freedoms heard on a larger world scale,

exactly what proposed rights and freedom... I am not from iran so will you please enlighten me?

instead of protesting on the streets where they will unfortunately get attacked and imprisoned by the authorities. Social media is the haven for Iranians to peacefully voice their ideas and opinions, where they are not able to do this openly in Iran.

You are guys on this forum are very much free to voice your opinions against this campaign and I am not against if you do that. But I personally don't feel it is right for you guys to do that, because you will be making fools out of yourselves. I suggest you leave Iranian women to their own devices and let them worry about their future.

yeah... right... and we should leave saudia to its own devices and let it continue bombing yemen and similarly we should let the monks in burma continue the with genocide and not protest when France passes rule against hijab.... Condemning is the least one can do , and I think its her who is making a fool out of herself.... If she believes in akhira and the day of judgement none of those 82,000 FB  followers is going to come and save her for misleading women.

Why should this campaign in anyway effect people like you? Don't you guys have better things to do in life?

There are heaps of campaigns set up by Iranians on social media to address their rights of freedoms. For instance issues like Freedom of expression, Political freedom, Freedom of religion including persecution of minorities like Bahais, Executions including under 18 executions, Mistreatment of political prisoners, Gender inequality and other issues like compulsory Hijab and so many others.

No offence your second point is quite irrelevant and out of context. Like kamyar your analogies with the Hijab issue in Iran with these bunch of other unrelated issues in other countries is beyond bizarre. Iranian women are independent just like other women in the world and should be free to decide for themselves in any issue.  People shouldn't place their judgement on what these women do or want and should simply in a nice way mind their own business.

Edited by Zendegi

• Moderators

This is just about the Hijab and the Facebook campaign as indicated by OP, which wants to give Iranian women the choice of wearing or not wearing the Hijab. I am not taking about anything else, so don't bring it up.

I think you are the one you brought up "rights and freedom of iranian women" and " choice to wear what they want" (quoting your own words) 

well, you you want to stay on the facebook campaign ... sure :D have you even been to the page?? I can't posts those photos here cos some of them are of half nude women...wearing sleeveless, backless, showing plenty of decolletage., bikinis ..... Is that what she is campaigning for??

Are you and the rest of the brothers here okay with their women wearing such clothes????

another thing.... she mockingly posts pics of 'morality police' in the US from the 60s - a 'policewoman' on a beach in US, checking if a woman's swimsuit is 'appropriate'.... that morality police has disappeared from the USA as the result of the feminist( women's right and freedom :P)  campaign but so has the morality and the clothes from women's bodies.

people here who are speaking in favour of her page are short sighted , to say the least. What they don't realize is this is a never ending chain reaction..... just like the homosexuality thing.... first they legalize homosexuality, that done now they are campaigning to legalize pedophilia, 

So, if this evil woman succeeds in her endeavours do you think she will stop at that?  no next it will be against covering legs or arms or something equally derogatory.

Still waiting for you to tell me about the iranian women's rights and freedom.

• Advanced Member

For people to understand Iranian women's fashion in the last 100 years, well here is a good minute video to watch (since this is what the thread is about!). This video had racked up a fair 8 million views and for the unsure observant people to keep in line with the forum strict rules I can ensure you that there is no profanity in the video, which could possibly offend. This video just give us a sense of perspective and change.

You can see in the video the predominant fashion in Iran among women was initially the hijab until the 1930s where there came some tough modernisation reforms from Reza Shah who initially banned the hijab and chador and women's fashion is predominantly without hijab for a few decades until 1979 where enforced Hijab came about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XmJUtcsak

damn this GREEN colour

I think you are the one you brought up "rights and freedom of iranian women" and " choice to wear what they want" (quoting your own words) 

well, you you want to stay on the facebook campaign ... sure :D have you even been to the page?? I can't posts those photos here cos some of them are of half nude women...wearing sleeveless, backless, showing plenty of decolletage., bikinis ..... Is that what she is campaigning for??

Are you and the rest of the brothers here okay with their women wearing such clothes????

another thing.... she mockingly posts pics of 'morality police' in the US from the 60s - a 'policewoman' on a beach in US, checking if a woman's swimsuit is 'appropriate'.... that morality police has disappeared from the USA as the result of the feminist( women's right and freedom :P)  campaign but so has the morality and the clothes from women's bodies.

people here who are speaking in favour of her page are short sighted , to say the least. What they don't realize is this is a never ending chain reaction..... just like the homosexuality thing.... first they legalize homosexuality, that done now they are campaigning to legalize pedophilia, 

So, if this evil woman succeeds in her endeavours do you think she will stop at that?  no next it will be against covering legs or arms or something equally derogatory.

Still waiting for you to tell me about the iranian women's rights and freedom.

Why don't you try pick on all women in the world? How about German, Japanese, Australian or Kenyan women for a change?

And yeah I totally saw half-naked and bikini women on the page?

I think you forget Iranian women are also people, who can choose and make the best decisions for themselves.

How does this issue effect you in anyway? Why should it matter what someone else does?

I guess your trying your best to be a smart-aleck. You try and attack that specific post by me, with no such reasoning and go on a rant about a bunch of other issues.

Best thing is if you could just chill.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

• Advanced Member

For people to understand Iranian women's fashion in the last 100 years, well here is a good minute video to watch (since this is what the thread is about!). This video had racked up a fair 8 million views and for the unsure observant people to keep in line with the forum strict rules I can ensure you that there is no profanity in the video, which could possibly offend. This video just give us a sense of perspective and change.

You can see in the video the predominant fashion in Iran among women was initially the hijab until the 1930s where there came some tough modernisation reforms from Reza Shah who initially banned the hijab and chador and women's fashion is predominantly without hijab for a few decades until 1979 where enforced Hijab came about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7XmJUtcsak

damn this GREEN colour

• Advanced Member

The hijab is for men, not women.  I don't think women understand how difficult it is for man to see or be around women who are not covered up.  Hijab is a mercy for men, and a protection for women.  Us women have to be kinder to our men folk, that's why we should be as covered as possible so that men can get on with their daily lives.  I love my hijab now more than ever, and I hope my daughter will too.  

• Advanced Member

hijab shouldn't be enforced but decent clothing should because both are the same thing!!

based on basic language understanding your statement implies that head scarf and bikini are the samething and should be treated the same, so I responded.

do I need to explain your own words further for you?

@ unknown shia , if you think hijab is a piece of cloth on the head then really you don't know anything about hijab. Your statement is self contradictory. One one hand you say its okay to force decent clothing,but you are against forcing scarf. Scarf is part of decent clothing.

my statement is clear as day you are just trying to blurr it as much as possible,

my point was that complete and proper hijab shouldnt be forced but at the same time bikinis should be banned, so in the spectrum from proper full hijab to the worst side of the spectrum bikinis there should be a red line.  currently in iran the red line is at the start of the spectrum which in my mind forcing too much, but on the other hand theres no way in hell bikinis can be allowed.

so where in that "spectrum" does each country draw the line..........up to debate

i hope that clears up my point

Edited by UnknownShia

• Veteran Member

The hijab is for men, not women.  I don't think women understand how difficult it is for man to see or be around women who are not covered up.  Hijab is a mercy for men, and a protection for women.  Us women have to be kinder to our men folk, that's why we should be as covered as possible so that men can get on with their daily lives.  I love my hijab now more than ever, and I hope my daughter will too.  

the opposite is true. men in non-islamic world tend to be more relaxed around women than those in societies where hijab is common...