Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Nine People Sentenced To Death

Rate this topic

As-salaamu 'alaikum brothers and sisters! 

An Islamic court has sentenced nine people to death for insulting the Prophet Muhammad in the northern Nigerian city of Kano.

islam.jpg

I'm a Muslim and believe that Islam is a system / religion that's peaceful and we are permitted to fight those who fight us (2:190), this verse is 'amm (universal) and not mansukh (abrogated). Furthermore, Allah the Exalted says to have patience and ignore those who ridicule us and if someone ridicule our system / religion, then I have the complete right to unfriend him i.e., not to take him as my ally.

It's forbidden to take life and according to my study of the Qur'an, we [islamic state] are allowed to take life under two circumstances:

(1) As a retribution for causing 'fasaad' (gross mischief, spreading corruption, evil, beyond all bounds) in the land. 
[such as terrorism &c.] - There are many alternatives to choose, such as 'exile from the land'

(2) As a retribution for murder.

Both of these are punishable by the state. However, today if anyone insults the blessed Prophet (pbuh), we lose our patience and start to do horrific acts [see the picture above, protest in my country; Pakistan]. Indeed, we love the Prophet (pbuh), but is this the behavior of righteous Muslims? If someone is insulting our religion and our beloved Prophet (pbuh), why not show love and try to refute the misconceptions that people have about him (pbuh)?

What do Ahlu's Sunnah wa' Jama'ah and Shi'a believe? Should people be executed or not? I can't find a verse in the Qur'an. Some Muslims belong to different sects and madhabs - what is your opinion? 

Wa as-salaam!  :)

• Advanced Member

According to the hadiths we have with us, and what our Fuqaha have stated, the punishment for blasphemy against Allah or his Prophet is death. This is the mainstream position of the Shi'a.

As for Ahlul Sunnah wal Jama'ah, you can read their laws regarding this in the following link: http://islamqa.info/en/14305

Edited by al-Ibrahimi

According to the hadiths we have with us, and what our Fuqaha have stated, the punishment for blasphemy against Allah or his Prophet is death. This is the mainstream position of the Shi'a.

As for Ahlul Sunnah wal Jama'ah, you can read their laws regarding this in the following link: http://islamqa.info/en/14305

As-salaamu 'alaikum!

Thank you for answering :)

But, according to the Qur'an? I study the Qur'an daily and can't find a verse about executing someone if he insults the blessed Prophet (pbuh) or Allah the Exalted. Secondly, the grave blasphemy was undoubtedly the blasphemy against Allah Himself:

“The most beautiful names belong to God: so call on him by them; but shun such men as use profanity (Yul'hiduna) in his names: for what they do, they will soon be requited” (7:180)

Yul'hiduna - Blaspheme, deviate, violate, distort, pervert.

Please stop making statements in fiqh.  :dry:

A number of things.

Firstly the implementation of the hadd punishment without the Imam (a.s.) is something that is challenged. 

السؤال الأول: تقولون سماحتكم بسقوط الحدود في زمن الغيبة ما عدا القتل و الفساد في الأرض،  فما عقوبة الزاني و السارق في عصر الغيبة؟

لسنا أول من قال بسقوط الحدود في زمن الغيبة الكبرى على صاحبها آلاف التحية والسلام بل هو نظر مشهور أعلام الامامية،

The first question. you hold the opinion of the absence of hadud punishents in the ghayba with the exception of the one causing fasad and killing in the land (like ISIS), so then what is the punishment of the person who commits zina and the ones who steals in the time of ghabya?

Answer : We are not the first ones who hold the opinion of the absence of the hadud punishmet during the time of the long ghayba (alf tahiyat wa salam 3 sa7ibuha) but rather it is the famous opinion from the '3laam scholars from the imamiya

He then goes on to explain what the punishment is in the ghayba.

Secondly, according to shareef al murtadha the ijma3 is that those who repent before the court sentence is carried out on them, if they repent before then they are freed.

إجماعات فقهاء الإمامية

-  كل من وجب عليه حد من حدود الله من شرب الخمر أو الزنا أو السرقة من غير المحاربين ثم تاب قبل قيام البينة عليه بذلك فإنها بالتوبة تسقط 586 ج2

Please stop making statements in fiqh.  :dry:

A number of things.

Firstly the implementation of the hadd punishment without the Imam (a.s.) is something that is challenged. 

السؤال الأول: تقولون سماحتكم بسقوط الحدود في زمن الغيبة ما عدا القتل و الفساد في الأرض،  فما عقوبة الزاني و السارق في عصر الغيبة؟

لسنا أول من قال بسقوط الحدود في زمن الغيبة الكبرى على صاحبها آلاف التحية والسلام بل هو نظر مشهور أعلام الامامية،

The first question. you hold the opinion of the absence of hadud punishents in the ghayba with the exception of the one causing fasad and killing in the land (like ISIS), so then what is the punishment of the person who commits zina and the ones who steals in the time of ghabya?

Answer : We are not the first ones who hold the opinion of the absence of the hadud punishmet during the time of the long ghayba (alf tahiyat wa salam 3 sa7ibuha) but rather it is the famous opinion from the '3laam scholars from the imamiya

He then goes on to explain what the punishment is in the ghayba.

Secondly, according to shareef al murtadha the ijma3 is that those who repent before the court sentence is carried out on them, if they repent before then they are freed.

إجماعات فقهاء الإمامية

-  كل من وجب عليه حد من حدود الله من شرب الخمر أو الزنا أو السرقة من غير المحاربين ثم تاب قبل قيام البينة عليه بذلك فإنها بالتوبة تسقط 586 ج2

Jazakallah khair, I understand the Shi'a viewpoint regarding blasphemy. 

Wa as-salaam! 

Edited by IjazLinorAhmad