Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ferja

What Are The Imam's Views On Self-Flagellation

Rate this topic

So my whole family is Pakistani (living in America), and in Pakistan (and immigrant communities elsewhere) self-flagellation, zanjeer ka maatam, is a very popular form of azadari.

In my area there are two imambhara.

-One is more mild, with more english speakers, milder maulana's, sometimes non-pakistani/indian maulana's, and no zanjeer ka maatam during muharram (also has more iranis and blacks who come)

-The other is more traditional Pakistani, with louder, only urdu speaking maulana's, emphasis on azadari, and zanjeer once or twice during the big 10 days.

We go to both imambharas but the split has got me wondering:

I know what different marja's have said on the issue, but what are the Imams views on the issue. Or are there no hadiths regarding it?

Walaikumsalam

Our imams a.s have never practised this act. Nor was it practised at all in their time or recommended. It is an invention.

Be careful when you condemn it, some of them have become so culturally indoctrinated, they can become extremely hostile to you - if you dislike it.

Just to add, Lady Zainab hitting her head is Dai'f. It's a shame a Dai'f hadith is used to prove something. Even if it were true, it is not an Imam a.s doing it, and additionally, there is no prescription to continue doing it regularly year on year.

I hope Allah swt rids Pakistan of this act. There are better ways.

Sometimes i feel people have disregarded the Sunnah of Rasullulah s.a.w and turned - in parts of the world- our madhab into a cult, forgetting they are the means to the sunnah and not the objects of extreme devotion.

Truly at times extreme devotion is more toxic than hatred.

Edited by Tawheed313

I know what different marja's have said on the issue, but what are the Imams views on the issue. Or are there no hadiths regarding it?

In addition to their being no hadiths advocating blood letting, The Imams(as) have specifically asked their followers to be an adornment to them and not to embarass them

adornments are like jewels that beautify and enhance the wearer, so when people look at they envy that person. Do you think this blood lust makes anybody envious.

Rather the Shias themselves let alone the Imams (as) are embarrased at pics of babies with cut heads.