Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ferja

Free Will. Free Will?

Rate this topic

There is a question the some of you may have. Of course, I am no marja or alim, I'm not even old enough for my opinion to be taken seriously within the shia community, but I would like to share my thoughts on a certain topic

The question I have (and many others) have is: 

If Allah (SWT) knows (and created) the past, present, and future, did he make our decisions for us and therefore doom 

some of us to hellfire?

This isn't a question I think anyone alive and present could answer with absolute certainty and in it's entirety, but here is my theory.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

My theory is that when we (our soul) were created by Allah, the initial conditions of our state and place in humanity predestined out our futures. What future we choose Allah is (obviously) knowledgeable of and he could change it.. 

(prepare for major analogy skills)

Here's better way to look at it. When we were created, we were created as a caterpillar, and alongside us was a tree. At the time of creation, we were a caterpillar on the ground, at the roots of the tree. As we age, we climb up. This tree has many branches, each representing a choice in our life. The tree of life which we were created with include every decision we have made, every decision we are making, and every decision we will make in our life. Eventually, the branches get smaller and smaller until we reach the leaf. Every bad decision we have made is like a nibble made by another insect on the leaf of paradise. The more eaten our leaf is, the closer we get to jahannum. Whichever leaf we end up on is the product of millions (it's a big tree) of left or right turns to different branches in our life. Like I said before, these turns to different branches symbolise our choices.

Now here's the thing, Allah, the all knowing, knows what leaf we will end up on, and what state the leaf will be in. Whenever we receive a blessing from Allah in a time of need, it's like him nudging us caterpillars towards a different branch. While we will not know what the consequences of the blessing will be, obviously one who knows all knows what your next branch will be and what your destination is.

Sound about right? 

What do you think.

Salam and blessings

This is from revelations chapter 7 , talking about how many will be saved.

144,000 Sealed

1After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3“Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” 4Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

Salam and blessings

This is from revelations chapter 7 , talking about how many will be saved.

144,000 Sealed

1After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3“Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” 4Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

hey man i respect your religion but this isn't really relevant to the topic

Salam Ferja,

Your question and criticle thinking in order to understand is one of the best ways to worship Allah, regardless of your age.

As you mentioned Allah the creator of all things and the creator of time and space is all knowing from the time he first creates it , till its end/ completion.

Hence this life and free will given by Allah to us is just to prove to ourselves who we really are.

Allah had sent the books and prophets to guide us, so there shall be no excuse from us humans in the day of judgment , that we were not told or not informed.

The word in Arabic is حجة. The case is on display. You can accept it or reject it based on your free will.

But the you have to be responsible of the choices you make based on the warnings that were given and be ready to accept the consequences.

As Imam Ali told to some atheists who came to him to debate abd argue.

Imam Ali said , if there is a no hell or heaven , we are of the same status after we die.

But if there is than we will the ones who enter heaven, and the ones who did not believe , will be in loss and enter hell.

So we are here to only prove to ourselves to who we really are, and will have no excuse, as we have chosen to believe or not to believe based on our free will.

Knowledge is not a barrier from a free will. Allah , from the very first day, knows who will choose, by his own decision , the right or the wrong path.  

An experienced teacher, from the first day of the class, might know who will not be a successful student. Does that force that  student to be so??